• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Fracas

#fuckonami
Then go play Battlefield?

G6B1tQ5.png
join my hardline squad
FAxSIBF.png

Madness

I would be fully okay with a giant Battlefield-esque BTB.

And I really wouldn't care if you lot hated it because it would be awesome.

Eh, you probably would. Halo needs us more than we need them. If that's what they're going to make BTB, I'd rather go play Battlefront or Call of Duty. Sure it'll sell like hotcakes and Halo 5 is probably going to outsell every other exclusive to date, but if 4v4 arena is marginalized or has to compete with 4v4 Infinity or BTB Infinity, it's going to be Halo 4 all over again.

See then when you killed ME I would use my loadout that put a giant red arrow above your head when I was sniped so I could find you for revenge. The meta game was so deep.

That perk so useless though. Nemesis right? Rest so valuable to have rather than this.

Impala26

That perk so useless though. Nemesis right? Rest so valuable to have rather than this.

One of my fondest Halo 4 memories was using the hard light shield in close quarters to deflect a rocket back at an opponent and he kills himself...

I gotta go check if that's still saved on my Xbox 360 theater... that shit's gif worthy.

...and my near-immediate suicide with said rocket launcher mere 10 seconds later

Reading the pre-order page for Halo 5, they say there is exclusive content that enhances spartan combat, and that arena 4v4 is just a small sample of the multi-player experience.

This is the one thing that scares me the most. This damn section of the preorder pages. Everything I've seen and experience made me think that 343 saw what went wrong and that they're addressing fan concerns, but this one little bit could ruin all of it.

Honestly, I'm at the point I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

TheXbox

If you guys think you've seen the last of perks, loadouts, or killstreaks, you're kidding yourselves. It's coming. BTB is going to be enormous and ridiculous, and a lot of you are going to hate it - myself included. Pray we get more than six arena-sized maps at launch (not forge) and a few decent 4v4 playlists. I wouldn't expect any more than that.

One of my fondest Halo 4 memories was using the hard light shield in close quarters to deflect a rocket back at an opponent and he kills himself...

did the same with the incineration cannon, killed him and 2 others. Not sure if he quit of if he got betrayal booted but it was hilarious.

Hardlight shield was GOAT, could block tank shells head on

Madness

This is the one thing that scares me the most. This damn section of the preorder pages. Everything I've seen and experience made me think that 343 saw what went wrong and that they're addressing fan concerns, but this one little bit could ruin all of it.

Same. Methinks it's because they don't want to ruin the goodwill 4v4 arena multi-player and beta gave them. The last thing they need is perks and loadouts and some new killstreak stuff being shown and then getting several months of 'Halo is dad' posts on forums.

They've been VERY particular about their wording on arena multi-player, and VERY particular about the scope of multi-player and how there is more planned. This was deliberate in them not showing vehicles, not showing a single thing beyond 4v4. Something else is coming, and I'm not sure I'll like it.

Jet packs absolutely ruined Reflection. I recall being fond of Ivory Tower split screen, but going into the MCC I had a sour taste in my mouth for the map after Reach, though that was gone after being re-acquainted with the map in Halo 2.

Computer

Halo Online is a Halo 5 BTB beta test.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I fully support 343 going nuts with BTB. BTB has always been a sloppier, less refined experience and I'm cool with them trying whacky new things.

I fully support 343 going nuts with BTB. BTB has always been a sloppier, less refined experience and I'm cool with them trying whacky new things.

Sometimes I think I'd like something new akin to Battlefield, though I also like classic BTB and the size of those games/maps. Though I'm definitely open to some change. I'd probably be happier if they changed the format of the campaign to be more open world though.

mcrommert

Banned

This this and this

Seriously go nuts...infinity style stuff, battlefield style, loadouts, whatever

The core team slayer needs to not have loadouts and infinity but for btb the experience has always been leashed by the more real halo multiplayer modes

jem0208

This this and this

Seriously go nuts...infinity style stuff, battlefield style, loadouts, whatever

The core team slayer needs to not have loadouts and infinity but for btb the experience has always been leashed by the more real halo multiplayer modes

BTB has always been the "real" Halo multiplayer.

I'm just kidding, play what you want to play. Although I've always thought BTB was the best part of Halo. Where's the fun without vehicles?

I don't like getting in vehicles, though I sure enjoy blowing up people in vehicles. The exception to this being the Mantis, there was nothing good about the Mantis, it killed map flow.

Giving us good arena mp with only like 6 maps and then adding infinity bonkers btb would be a classic bait and switch there
lmfao you know it's going to happen, but at least we have the remixes to look forward to!

The good ol' bait and switch. Can't believe Reach shipped with <10 maps..

RowdyReverb

I don't like getting in vehicles, though I sure enjoy blowing up people in vehicles. The exception to this being the Mantis, there was nothing good about the Mantis, it killed map flow.
I agree. Maps with a Mantis become "Whose team is best at staying indoors?" contests. I always preferred that vehicles play the role of high risk + higher reward. While it's fine for a vehicle to be a killing machine, it should also be a fun target for the opposing team to challenge.

I agree. Maps with a Mantis become "Whose team is best at staying indoors?" contests. I always preferred that vehicles play the role of high risk + higher reward. While it's fine for a vehicle to be a killing machine, it should also be a fun target for the opposing team to challenge.

The core problem isn't that it was too tough, it's that it was too tough for how tall it was. Nothing that can take that kind of punishment should have that kind of LoS.

I'm fine with super tough vehicles, that's the only way we'll get proper tanks.

Same. Methinks it's because they don't want to ruin the goodwill 4v4 arena multi-player and beta gave them. The last thing they need is perks and loadouts and some new killstreak stuff being shown and then getting several months of 'Halo is dad' posts on forums.

They've been VERY particular about their wording on arena multi-player, and VERY particular about the scope of multi-player and how there is more planned. This was deliberate in them not showing vehicles, not showing a single thing beyond 4v4. Something else is coming, and I'm not sure I'll like it.

Works both ways. The longer they wait to detail everything, the scummier it looks.

jem0208

Mantis would have been cool as a really fast, but low armor vehicle.

That's what I always thought as well. Make it quick and agile, but weak. Maybe even have the driver exposed from certain angles. It would make it both more interesting to drive and more interesting to fight against.

That's what I always thought as well. Make it quick and agile, but weak. Maybe even have the driver exposed from certain angles. It would make it both more interesting to drive and more interesting to fight against.

But see, now I'm imagining a "quick, low" mantis, and it just looks like the mini-mech from Gurren Lagann.

Also, if it's not a mech, you are describing a gungoose.

Madness

Works both ways. The longer they wait to detail everything, the scummier it looks.

That also true. Would definitely start to feel like a Bair and switch then. But I think we'll know by E3 for sure. Won't be able to hide any outlandish things for long. The problem will be having to hear from Jem and the others how we should wait to try it, how it could be good :) and how we'll still have 4v4 arena to play if not.

Mantis would have been cool as a really fast, but low armor vehicle.

You ideally want something that complements the game play with clear negatives for every advantage. Even then, it's still tough to balance vehicles like Scorpion or Gauss Hog in multi-player. Most human vehicles are also transport heavy or meant for map traversal. Scorpion can carry people, Warthog, Hornet, Falcon, even Mongoose. And then came the Mantis. Single person only, and before it was nerfed, it was able to move quicker than a Scorpion, had the power of a warthog chain gun, rockets that could be fired single or volley, plus it had a foot stomp that could destroy a ghost in one stomp, hit everyone within a huge radius. It essentially became a camp vehicle. Easily took more damage than even a Scorpion to destroy, while was far more versatile. Sometimes when I'd have it, I'd use my vehicle loadout that allowed for quicker recovery from pistol emp, etc. It was the antithesis to everything vehicles had been for me and I hope it doesn't come back.

jem0208

But see, now I'm imagining a "quick, low" mantis, and it just looks like the mini-mech from Gurren Lagann.

Also, if it's not a mech, you are describing a gungoose.

Well, I was thinking keep it the same size and make it as agile as a standard spartan but faster with reduced armour.

That also true. Would definitely start to feel like a Bair and switch then. But I think we'll know by E3 for sure. Won't be able to hide any outlandish things for long. The problem will be having to hear from Jem and the others how we should wait to try it, how it could be good :) and how we'll still have 4v4 arena to play if not.

I want to give 343 the benefit of the doubt, and see how it plays before anything, but it still has to be Halo. I don't want a Halo take on Battlefield, I want Halo. The changes in Arena were enough to shake things up without being a complete departure, but if worse comes to worse over BTB.... Idk man. I have a bad feeling...

-Ryn

Banned
Mah man

The Prototype mech suit could easily be implemented into the actual games. As you said it would need some tweaks to balance it but I think it fits Halo's sandbox (especially H5's) perfectly. Though I'd almost consider it a power up as opposed to a straight up vehicle thinking about it. You'd essentially be more of a temporary one man army. It'd probably work best in large game modes where teams could take it down with coordination. Perhaps have a light version of it and a heavy version for different game types.

Main Functions
  • Chain Gun (Impedes suit movement)
  • Lock on Missiles (limited?)
  • Anti-Vehicle Grenade
  • Enhanced thruster pack/jump pack
  • Deployable Bubble Shield (breakable)
  • Self detonation (?)
  • Enhanced melee

Boarding the suit would be similar to the concept for boarding Hunters. The suit wouldn't have a shield and instead would have a Deployable bubble shield that can be broken (one time use maybe?). Limit the weapons on the Light suit type to a Chain gun and grenade. Heavy type has a chain gun, grenade, and lock on missiles. Give both the ability to use a heavy melee.

A Forerunner mech you fight over as the neutral vehicle on the map. Super powerful, but with an exposed driver. When it gets destroyed, it blows up into several pieces like the Incineration Cannon.

Do the right thing here, Tashi. Convince them, you're our only hope.
#NoMotionTracker

-Ryn

Banned
A Forerunner mech you fight over as the neutral vehicle on the map. Super powerful, but with an exposed driver. When it gets destroyed, it blows up into several pieces like the Incineration Cannon.

Do the right thing here, Tashi. Convince them, you're our only hope.
#NoMotionTracker
latest

Kssio_Aug

Are the servers having a problem right now?

Im trying to find a match and it just keep saying:
"Searching for players..."
"Players found..."
"Searching for players..."
"Players found..."

And it just doenst connect to any game at all.

I think right after you pick your data center in Halo 5 you get a prompt that asks if you want want to search for warm-up/social matches (has radar) or Competitive/Ranked matches (no radar) and then from there you can choose your playlist.

Cool lol, feels good right? When I learned that it's better to aim with the outside of the reticle to lead the target instead of the center, my effectiveness with the Magnum skyrocketed. Can't tell you how many times when playing people on XBC I would be like "Jesus, RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE RETICLE and it's not hitting! What kind of lame game is this??" It's funny, the first time I played online it was a 2v1 on Hang 'Em High. The player would get Camo every time, so he was always invisible. "Is this guy cheating??"

And here we are today hahah

Top Bottom