• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

If they've gone all in on the benefits of dedicated servers, which would also mean dedi hosted co-op (and firefight if it's in the game), there's no possibility to retain p2p networking anyway.

It'll also require them to allow you to use a One as a dedicated server to make LAN possible, because that requires P2P to work without a server in the middle.

Going full dedis on all modes makes me happy. As for LAN sounds like a mixed bag.

jem0208

With just 2 player split LAN seems not the be a thing in focus anymore

I'm not sure where you got this from...

Lack of 4 player split screen is almost certainly due to technical limitations. Splitscreen at 60 fps whilst also producing a gorgeous game is going to be near impossible for a console like the X1. At least for the next few years whilst they figure the ins and outs of the system.

I'm just as disappointed as everyone else with the splitscreen limitations, however we saw how bad splitscreen was in 4. The X1 just isn't powerful enough to support it.

I'm not sure where you got this from...

Lack of 4 player split screen is almost certainly due to technical limitations. Splitscreen at 60 fps whilst also producing a gorgeous game is going to be near impossible for a console like the X1. At least for the next few years whilst they figure the ins and outs of the system.

I'm just as disappointed as everyone else with the splitscreen limitations, however we saw how bad splitscreen was in 4. The X1 just isn't powerful enough to support it.

Poor optimization. Original Xbox ran Halo fine in 4 player split on 64MB and 733Mhz. Assets were scaled down accordingly. Caveat could have been 30fps for 3-4 player split. They just don't want to spend the time to do it. The Xbox One could absolutely handle 4 player split. "Technical Limitations" = Cut from project scope.

edit: also, I'm pretty sure LAN isn't a big focus because Xbox One can't have user profiles that aren't registered with at minimum an Xbox Live free account.

jem0208

Poor optimization. Original Xbox ran Halo fine in 4 player split on 64MB and 733Mhz. Assets were scaled down accordingly. Caveat could have been 30fps for 3-4 player split. They just don't want to spend the time to do it. The Xbox One could absolutely handle 4 player split. "Technical Limitations" = Cut from project scope.

edit: also, I'm pretty sure LAN isn't a big focus because Xbox One can't have user profiles that aren't registered with at minimum an Xbox Live free account.

You have to consider that they have minimum expectations to meet. It has to run smoothly at 60fps, it has to look reasonably gorgeous, they also have to maintain the same scope (i.e. level size and number of characters on screen etc.) as in solo. With the console being as weak as it is, maintaining all of those expectations just isn't reasonable. Sure, it would obviously be possible if they were to reduce the draw distance massively, and cut down texture quality etc. However then you're failing to meet the graphics expectations of the consumers and the game will be labelled as having bad graphics. If you don't cut down the graphical fidelity and let the framerate drop the game will be labelled as poorly optimised. This is the flagship title for the Xbox, they can't let it have those labels attached to it.

Sadly, the Xbox just isn't powerful enough to manage splitscreen at the level of fidelity people demand. I also imagine the amount of resources they'd probably have to put in to achieving it would massively outweigh the return they'd get from having 4 player splitscreen.

I'm not defending the lack of 4 way split, it sucks. However I can understand why they aren't aiming for it.

Halo |OT24| - All Hail the Conquering Hero
My vote goes on this.

People had no problem in having scaled down graphic in splitscreen on 360, why should they have on XBO? Halo 3s campaign lost a lot of effects in 2 player split (no more nice water), 4 player reduced that way more.

You have to consider that they have minimum expectations to meet. It has to run smoothly at 60fps, it has to look reasonably gorgeous, they also have to maintain the same scope (i.e. level size and number of characters on screen etc.) as in solo. With the console being as weak as it is, maintaining all of those expectations just isn't reasonable. Sure, it would obviously be possible if they were to reduce the draw distance massively, and cut down texture quality etc. However then you're failing to meet the graphics expectations of the consumers and the game will be labelled as having bad graphics. If you don't cut down the graphical fidelity and let the framerate drop the game will be labelled as poorly optimised. This is the flagship title for the Xbox, they can't let it have those labels attached to it.

Sadly, the Xbox just isn't powerful enough to manage splitscreen at the level of fidelity people demand. I also imagine the amount of resources they'd probably have to put in to achieving it would massively outweigh the return they'd get from having 4 player splitscreen.

I'm not defending the lack of 4 way split, it sucks. However I can understand why they aren't aiming for it.

My vote goes on this.

That's just it though, the aim could have been that the game should run 60fps up to 2 player split. When running 3 or 4, the game drops to say 30fps for example. In every other halo game including 4, when running in 4 player split, the textures would drop quality, the frame rate would lower, the level of detail assets would pop in and out at a closer distance (at least in 3 and Reach), etc, etc. Its very much a design decision rather than a technical one from how I see it. Dropping quality of graphics when running in 4 way split is not poorly optimised. Its an example of good optimisation imo. Halo 4 is the only one that did it pretty poorly though (at least on 360, haven't gone to test on MCC). That has always been the tradeoff when running in 4 player split.

Omni

Finished a campaign playlist in the MCC that covers the final levels of each game. Gotta say, Halo 4's final level is great. I think it's the music. Really like it. H3's ending would have been a perfect place to end the series though.

also for some reason the QTE against the Didact now says "Press RT to fire machine gun" instead of left trigger for grenade. It made me die >_<

m23

Finished a campaign playlist in the MCC that covers the final levels of each game. Gotta say, Halo 4's final level is great. I think it's the music. Really like it. H3's ending would have been a perfect place to end the series though.

also for some reason the QTE against the Didact now says "Press RT to fire machine gun" instead of left trigger for grenade. It made me die >_<

I'm about half way through halo 4, Forerunner is still an amazing level.

Would have been a better ending. Chief materializes a SAW, sticks it under the Didact's chin, and holds down the trigger.

jem0208

Something like,

Halo |OT24| 1 Game, 343 Studios

?

Wouldn't

Halo |OT24| 5 games, 343 studios

Be more accurate?
That's just it though, the aim could have been that the game should run 60fps up to 2 player split. When running 3 or 4, the game drops to say 30fps for example. In every other halo game including 4, when running in 4 player split, the textures would drop quality, the frame rate would lower, the level of detail assets would pop in and out at a closer distance (at least in 3 and Reach), etc, etc. Its very much a design decision rather than a technical one from how I see it. Dropping quality of graphics when running in 4 way split is not poorly optimised. Its an example of good optimisation imo. Halo 4 is the only one that did it pretty poorly though (at least on 360, haven't gone to test on MCC). That has always been the tradeoff when running in 4 player split.
The point is that it's not technically capable enough to produce the fidelity which is expected.

It's kinda similar to the 1080p situation. The X1 could in theory play any game at 1080p, if you turned the settings down enough. However it can't play games in 1080p at the expected fidelity, so we say it isn't powerful enough to run the game at 1080p.

This whole discussion is semantics really...

Karl2177

If they've gone all in on the benefits of dedicated servers, which would also mean dedi hosted co-op (and firefight if it's in the game), there's no possibility to retain p2p networking anyway.

It'll also require them to allow you to use a One as a dedicated server to make LAN possible, because that requires P2P to work without a server in the middle.
This makes me sad.
Halo |OT24| - All Hail the Conquering Hero

Halo |OT24| - But now, we must save Halo from you, 343
Heh.
Wouldn't

Halo |OT24| 5 games, 343 studios

Be more accurate?
Heh.

The point is that it's not technically capable enough to produce the fidelity which is expected.

It's kinda similar to the 1080p situation. The X1 could in theory play any game at 1080p, if you turned the settings down enough. However it can't play games in 1080p at the expected fidelity, so we say it isn't powerful enough to run the game at 1080p.

This whole discussion is semantics really...
While it is just a semantics argument, Reach used an impostering system that at least made it a bit more tolerable. Additionally, Halo 3 just used stuff that had less polys and it looked pretty good for what it was doing. (needed more AA for sure)

Halo |OT24| One Team, New Team, Red Team, Blue Team

Heh.

Who is even doing the OT anyways?

I would have been so pumped for Blue Team to be in a Halo game a few years ago, now I have no clue what is going on in the Halo universe in terms of the story. I just know like all these important pieces of info are randomly thrown in comics, books, and who knows what else now. I miss the days when everything important was contained within the games themselves and the books weren't necessary, just a cool addition.

Top Bottom