• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Probably nothing new, but some of those responses to Josh Holmes's posts are just ultra-bitter.

I wub Halo, have done for a long time, so I understand that some people really want to cling on to certain things. But there must come a time when you just gotta say 'eh, this is making me unhappy', and either deal with it, or move on. Sucks in many ways, but it's not a happy or productive use of ones time, I'd have thought :D

Fuchsdh

Probably nothing new, but some of those responses to Josh Holmes's posts are just ultra-bitter.

I wub Halo, have done for a long time, so I understand that some people really want to cling on to certain things. But there must come a time when you just gotta say 'eh, this is making me unhappy', and either deal with it, or move on. Sucks in many ways, but it's not a happy or productive use of ones time, I'd have thought :D

Clearly you have not spent much time in communities, especially those of the online or gaming sort :)

Many people would do well to heed that advice and lower their blood pressure, but some people get unnaturally sucked into things and it only hurts them and ruins the enjoyment of others.

Haruko

Mass Effect 3 multiplayer had a fantastic implementation of free map pack DLC with good (and optional!) microtransactions, but it had the noted benefit of being a co-op only mode that could get away with including new weapons/upgrades in the booster packs, on top of the cosmetic class upgrades.

I'm not certain it'd be as sustainable if they ONLY had cosmetic stuff in the booster packs. Especially with the option to earn them (slower) without paying money, an option which would cause backlash if excluded.

Anyways, that implementation came from EA, of all things. Which was nice.

EDIT:

Some news about the successor to Internet Explorer:
Project Spartan is now officially called Microsoft Edge

lame/10

I like what this guy said in the Beyond thread:

Imagine the following scenario: Spartans can shoot while sprinting, but with aim assist disabled. The arm-pumping animation can remain - including the left arm being off the stock. The gun is still pointed downrange . . . right arm pumping, but always downrange. Immersion criteria met. Getting shot while sprinting reverts a Spartan to normal running speed. Now sprinting is no longer a purely defensive / positioning mechanic, but has a significant offensive utility. A player can always close range if they obtain a positional advantage behind an opponent. A player can always run down an opposing player with depleted shields.

IHaveIce

Banned
Free DLC maps.

Forge and Cosmetics "pay-what-you-want" store/ecosystem with 30/70 profit split.

Frankie can do the post release reddit AMA
Sure that is what we want, but Microsoft know more moneydance is to get with pvp maps.

They know CD does it so who cares about the players

-Ryn

Banned
2424425-6555272247-hyde-.gif

My face hurts

Good point, I hadn't thought about that.

If DLC maps are free as we hope, that would certainly help a lot too.

ayyy, finally no longer a junior
I get the feeling free map packs are something devs are gonna be moving towards more now. Hopefully what Josh said is indicative of things to come.

Congratulations on the member status btw

Why does he like Beyond better than Halogaf!?
We need more #butts

Pokemon?

Halo, blue edition because squirtle
Totadile is the quintessential blue team Pokemon. These are 2nd gen Spartans anyway so it works.

Charmander fo' life
Unless is Yellow in which case Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Pikachu, Pidgey, Caterpie
Snorlax/Haunter/Mankey are runner ups

Impala26

Also anyone check out the trials of Osiris bungie stream?

I fuckin hate destiny PvP I think it's trash but that has me legit excited to play destiny pvp

It's funny that many of the Halo regulars here are like "yeah man, legit COMPETITIVE multiplayer", while the old-guard Destiny GAFers are all like "what a travesty, EFF THAT!"

We'll see how it plays out though--I think the Trials could have HUGE barriers to entry for those folks who aren't really competitive. Sucks that some of the best looking gear/weapons of the game are going to be locked behind that mode though...

daedalius

So on board with that.

I fuckin hate destiny PvP I think it's trash but that has me legit excited to play destiny pvp

How mad are you gonna be when you get Titan super'd and you're out for the round?

Also, 5 rounds? shoulda been 3.

Kinda weird all the matching is based on connection instead of "skill matching"... oh well!

Haruko

This part was reminding me of suggestions people had to add an objective to Halo 5 Breakout:

Trials of Osiris will be a new multiplayer PvP mode, in which two teams of three battle each other in a new game type, Elimination.

In Elimination, there are no respawns, Bungie's Derek Carroll said; your team has to revive you. Carroll described it as "the most intense mode we've made."

Matches in Trials of Osiris are time-limited, just two minutes, and in the event that games go into overtime, a central capture point becomes available. Whoever captures that point wins.

Tawpgun

I agreed with raids being no matchmaking but trials should have it and try to match parties.

I understand they want it to be a consistent endgame experience tho

Trials as a weekend event is cool too. Halo should have weekend events. Like the bungie vs world, or even just double xp

Impala26

Also for those not following it, Trials of Osiris was revealed and yeah, it's basically a 3v3 Breakout/Elimination game mode--even has victory set to first team to 5 rounds won just like in Halo 5 Beta.

EDIT: Beaten like a jackal.

So on board with that.

Haven't seen the Osiris stuff, but the vanilla Destiny multiplayer was the most unbalanced experience I've played in a while. It felt tacked on like Tomb Raider or BioShock 2 multiplayer.

daedalius

Also for those not following it, Trials of Osiris was revealed and yeah, it's basically a 3v3 Breakout/Elimination game mode--even has victory set to first team to 5 rounds won just like in Halo 5 Beta.

EDIT: Beaten like a jackal.

Breakout with Supers and spawning with snipers. Kill times in Destiny are pretty close to Breakout anyway!

I'll probably check it out if I get a team together, a bit less time intensive mode than a raid.

For my Halo part of the post, I'm going through H3 on legendary right now, and did Cortana last night. Yeesh, still a pretty miserable level! I really liked the achievement on "Halo" for "Whispers across the galaxy" which is Mendicant Bias sending you a message. Pretty awesome!

I really hope MB shows up in H5 in some capacity.

Tawpgun

Breakout with Supers and spawning with snipers. Kill times in Destiny are pretty close to Breakout anyway!

I'll probably check it out if I get a team together, a bit less time intensive mode than a raid.

For my Halo part of the post, I'm going through H3 on legendary right now, and did Cortana last night. Yeesh, still a pretty miserable level! I really liked the achievement on "Halo" for "Whispers across the galaxy" which is Mendicant Bias sending you a message. Pretty awesome!

I really hope MB shows up in H5 in some capacity.
There's significantly less special ammo now.
Only one heavy spawn per match in Osiris.
Because it's elimination round based there's a super meta game that was evident in the stream. Do you use it now or save it for a later round, do you pull it out to save your team or get a kill or will you need it later.

This is my hope.

Though I'm expecting something like:

7 maps with 7 variants, plus 3-5 Forged maps (including Orion and Pegasus).
That would be depressing. I think we need like 10 arena maps, 7 BTB maps and X remixes, then we can talk about Forge remakes in matchmaking.

I too am expecting what you are though lol

Welfare

Not counting remixes or forge, we better get more than 10 original maps. The current reliance on forge maps(and now remixes) to pick up the bulk that 343 won't do is just maddening.

daedalius

There's significantly less special ammo now.
Only one heavy spawn per match in Osiris.
Because it's elimination round based there's a super meta game that was evident in the stream. Do you use it now or save it for a later round, do you pull it out to save your team or get a kill or will you need it later.

Yea I've been playing a bit of Crucible of late, its MUCH better than it used to be, that's for sure.

Its still pretty dumb, and non-competitive, but its fun.

ToO seems like it will be neat, just need to get a good group together for it.

Nowise10

Is it known that SteakTacular medals in Halo 4 (beating an enemy team by over 20 kills) are bugged and aren't being given? It makes getting 100 legendary medals for the achievement alot harder...

I just spent 40 minutes reading through that thread on Team Beyond. Some of it is high quality. However one thing stands out to me as offensive and tiring. As someone who is in the programming field, I really grow tired of the same "but you could just INSERT IDEA HERE" posts in response to Josh Holmes repeatedly stating that they tested a specific feature with different variables.

I feel like so many people posting forget that video games are not easy to make and that making even the most subtle changes can be very difficult and throw off everything else. A video game will never be perfectly balanced unless you strip a lot of variety and fun from it. I for one found that sprint in Halo 5 was actually fun AND fairly balanced. It wasn't an offense like Halo 4, its not as "balanced" as Halo CE/2/3 movement, but it feels more fun and sits well within the current gaming cultural landscape AND within the Halo lore we love.

Wish gamers would stop back seat developing. Suggestions become offensive when the topic has been addressed already.

I just spent 40 minutes reading through that thread on Team Beyond. Some of it is high quality. However one thing stands out to me as offensive and tiring. As someone who is in the programming field, I really grow tired of the same "but you could just INSERT IDEA HERE" posts in response to Josh Holmes repeatedly stating that they tested a specific feature with different variables.

I feel like so many people posting forget that video games are not easy to make and that making even the most subtle changes can be very difficult and throw off everything else. A video game will never be perfectly balanced unless you strip a lot of variety and fun from it. I for one found that sprint in Halo 5 was actually fun AND fairly balanced. It wasn't an offense like Halo 4, its not as "balanced" as Halo CE/2/3 movement, but it feels more fun and sits well within the current gaming cultural landscape AND within the Halo lore we love.

Wish gamers would stop back seat developing. Suggestions become offensive when the topic has been addressed already.

Its Beyond what do you expect lol... People there should be happy that someone from 343 is even coming there and giving honest and detailed informations.

daedalius

They're still arguing about sprint over there?

Such dedication

They're still arguing about sprint over there?

Such dedication

Yeah man... Josh Holmes replied to a really large post/thread and in his reply said he was done discussing sprint.

What follows? A bunch of suggestions on developing sprint better and then questioning why 343 can't accept Team Beyonds "perfect" argumentation against it.

Oh Lawd.

King Leo

Neo Member
Yeah man... Josh Holmes replied to a really large post/thread and in his reply said he was done discussing sprint.

What follows? A bunch of suggestions on developing sprint better and then questioning why 343 can't accept Team Beyonds "perfect" argumentation against it.

Oh Lawd.

I can't blame them really. They had to get it off their chests. Even if it won't change anything, it feels good to having an actual back and forth interaction with a 343 employee about it.

When it comes down to it, players can say that sprint changes Halo gameplay, and they can even show how it effects Halo gameplay, but anything beyond that is subjective.

jem0208

Oh Lawd.
The attitude of some people behind the sprint debates annoys me. I don't mind people saying they dislike it, that's completely fair. But then some people come along and claim their opinion is an objective fact and 343 are idiots for ignoring it. It's just kinda arrogant.
And barring Forge World, all of the launch MP maps were taken directly from campaign missions.

Didn't Bungie claim that they designed them first for multiplayer then placed them in the campaign? Something about making it seem like you're taking part in actual battles on Reach IIRC. Even though it was Spartans vs Spartans... It was somewhat near idea I thought. Not entirely sure about the execution.

Top Bottom