• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

feel

Assuming we get Halo 4 info on March 5th (we probably will) what are you guys hoping we see?
Battle Rifle in a wide first person FOV.

Don't wanna see Sprint, I will be crushed if they have that in the game and would completely ruin the reveal for me.

missed page 117!! nooooooo

kylej

Banned
I don't know about you guys but I hope they lower the framerate to 24fps to make it as cinematic as possible. Think of all the free blur you get at that framerate with movies.

At 24 FPS no less, truly wonderful experience

It was Aslyum, so not quite 24fps.

Well that was the best part though it was not always cinematic.

Why would you want anything higher than 24fps? The human eye can't even register anything above that. 24 fps is just as as smooth as 60fps because people can't see the difference. That's how God made us.

sogood.gif

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I'm not sure if you are joking or not, becouse what you say is wrong. Very wrong.

I am actually.

Edit: Wait I'm not a junior anymore. How did this happen lol

If you can prove the human eye can see more than 24fps, I will unban you from matchmaking.

Some folks will be having a HUGE testing lobby tonight, hopefully everything turns out as desired.

Any HaloGAFer is intersted to join? much better if you have all DLC, Anniversary included.

Edit: we'll be testing BTB heavy variants so don't expect a super competitive enviroment :D

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
First I was a happy penguin, I realized that you haven't done it, so I became a sad penguin and now I do comfort eating. I become fat.

Btw. any custom plans today?

Yea everyone form a team of 4, we're going to have an MLG tournament today. Best of 3 series, single elimination. Winner gets
absolutely nothing
Find your teams!

If you can prove the human eye can see more than 24fps, I will unban you from matchmaking.

Your own eyes are the proof.

How many frames per second an eye can see can be measured roughly through various methods. The darkness sensitivity method is one of them. A method I learned at physics class a couple of years back explained it somewhat. Imagine you're looking at a white bright screen. The screen turns black for a brief moment of time. If the screen goes black for 1/24th of a second and go back to white, you would notice it. You'll have a little more trouble noticing it if it went black for 1/60th of a second. And for 1/100th of a second, very difficult to notice.

The opposite is the brightness sensitivity method. Imagine you're in a completely dark room. If bright enough light flashes for 1/24th of a second, you will see it. 1/60th of a second, no problem. Even for 1/200th of a second.

Images are a combination of both. It's impossible to say the human eye can see x amount of FPS, but it's safe to say you can definantly see more than 24fps.

Retro

I'd like to see a more spec-ops approach to Halo 4's firefight. Make it a mode where you play as an ODST from a squad you meet in the campaign (minor character spoiler from Glasslands:
Maybe Mal and Vaz with 2 other ODST characters who you meet regularly in Halo 4's campaign?
).

I suggested a while ago that the entire multiplayer component has everyone start off as a regular, unarmored Marine (you can customize their face, the color of their fatigues, different light armor components, backpacks, etc.). Then, once you reach a certain rank, (Grasslands Spoilers)
you volunteer to become a Spartan IV (since they're not chosen from birth but are augmented adults)
and then get access to the usual Spartan armor permutations.

I'm not sure how much it would affect gameplay; in theory, the early ranks might have a more barebones approach to UI and game mechanics. I'm not talking about making it all SWAT-level by default, but by cutting down the speed, jump and survivability, it would require players to put more emphasis on strategy and teamwork since you aren't a one-man army. You learn to be careful because your shields are fragile, etc. Your radar might be ultra bare-bones too.

Once you rank up to Spartan, you get all of these enhancements that add a new layer of complexity (improved HUD, faster speed and higher jump) to make matches more frantic. Maybe even put some of the power weapons behind this gate, so the early ranks aren't defined by who can get to them first, but by actual player skill. Some of these super-weapons (Sword, Rockets, etc.) might just be too heavy for regular players to lift.

It would also be interesting to apply the difference between Marine and Spartan in certain game modes; imagine a juggernaut match with little marines taking on giant Spartan juggernaut, or an infection match where all the zombies are marines with pale skin.

Probably a bad idea, but I still think it would be cool to let players customize their faces, go helmet-less, or wear non-spartan armor components. But then, I like playing dress-up, so... feel free to ignore me.

Homeboyd

My response to this month's playlist update was to once again hit Ctl+f, 'firefight', and close the window sad.

The day Firefight gets updated (at long last), I'll go back to playing it. I simply don't understand why they so completely and totally abandoned the mode. No updates in six months. :\
CC man. They're willing to help... Just need that guiding light.

Karl2177

I suggested a while ago that the entire multiplayer component has everyone start off as a regular, unarmored Marine (you can customize their face, the color of their fatigues, different light armor components, backpacks, etc.). Then, once you reach a certain rank, (Grasslands Spoilers)
you volunteer to become a Spartan IV (since they're not chosen from birth but are augmented adults)

I'm not sure how much it would affect gameplay; in theory, the early ranks might have a more barebones approach to UI and game mechanics. I'm not talking about making it all SWAT-level by default, but by cutting down the speed, jump and survivability, it would require players to put more emphasis on strategy and teamwork since you aren't a one-man army. You learn to be careful because your shields are fragile, etc. Your radar might be ultra bare-bones too.

Once you rank up to Spartan, you get all of these enhancements that add a new layer of complexity (improved HUD, faster speed and higher jump) to make matches more frantic. Maybe even put some of the power weapons behind this gate, so the early ranks aren't defined by who can get to them first, but by actual player skill. Some of these super-weapons (Sword, Rockets, etc.) might just be too heavy for regular players to lift.

It would also be interesting to apply the difference between Marine and Spartan in certain game modes; imagine a juggernaut match with little marines taking on giant Spartan juggernaut, or an infection match where all the zombies are marines with pale skin.

Probably a bad idea, but I still think it would be cool to let players customize their faces, go helmet-less, or wear non-spartan armor components. But then, I like playing dress-up, so... feel free to ignore me.

Make it harder as you rank up, not the other way around.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Some folks will be having a HUGE testing lobby tonight, hopefully everything turns out as desired.

Any HaloGAFer is intersted to join? much better if you have all DLC, Anniversary included.

Edit: we'll be testing BTB heavy variants so don't expect a super competitive enviroment :D

I'm down! My brother (Franklinator) said he'd play too. My gamertag is Monsterfracas, and his is IroncladBread

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Your own eyes are the proof.

How many frames per second an eye can see can be measured roughly through various methods. The darkness sensitivity method is one of them. A method I learned at physics class a couple of years back explained it somewhat. Imagine you're looking at a white bright screen. The screen turns black for a brief moment of time. If the screen goes black for 1/24th of a second and go back to white, you would notice it. You'll have a little more trouble noticing it if it went black for 1/60th of a second. And for 1/100th of a second, very difficult to notice.

The opposite is the brightness sensitivity method. Imagine you're in a completely dark room. If bright enough light flashes for 1/24th of a second, you will see it. 1/60th of a second, no problem. Even for 1/200th of a second.

Images are a combination of both. It's impossible to say the human eye can see x amount of FPS, but it's safe to say you can definantly see more than 24fps.

This is going to take a long time. I don't know if you are an expert on the human visual cortex, but I am and I make it a note of honor. A human being can only see 24 frames per second, a child a mere 12. The reason 60fps can seem smoother is that your brain interpolates extra frames using the invisible part of the RGB spectrum. Colors like infra-brown and ultra-taupe convince your hypothalamus that it is 'seeing' extra frames, but effectively they only exist in your imagination. Brains are remarkable things and should never be taken for granted,

Retro

Make it harder as you rank up, not the other way around.

Well, the idea is that it *is* harder; when you reach Spartan levels, suddenly everything happens faster, people are harder to kill, there's more powerful weapons to deal with.

Imagine it goes from "3 shots to kill, normal speed, basic weapons" to "5 shots to kill, fast speed, and swords/rockets/etc. coming at you.". The only thing to offset the increased lethality is that your own armor and speed would be upgraded.

I dunno. I like the idea of feeling like a giant heavily-armored war machine, and starting off without that feeling and then earning it would make it feel more substantial. Honestly, the non-Spartan ranks could be like 1-5 with 6-50 being Spartan. That's why you'd keep Marines around for specific gametypes; everyone had to make one when they start out and it provides a clear distinction between different groups of players.

Yea everyone form a team of 4, we're going to have an MLG tournament today. Best of 3 series, single elimination. Winner gets
absolutely nothing
Find your teams!
I support this idea!

I read BTB heavy and bailout.gif

Battle Rifle in a wide first person FOV.

Don't wanna see Sprint, I will be crushed if they have that in the game and would completely ruin the reveal for me.

missed page 117!! nooooooo

Dear lord FOV is so important. That's one of the main things I cannot stand if I fire up Halo 3. Reach was a step in the right direction, but honestly an even wider FOV would be nice.

Karl2177

Well, the idea is that it *is* harder; when you reach Spartan levels, suddenly everything happens faster, people are harder to kill, there's more powerful weapons to deal with.

Imagine it goes from "3 shots to kill, normal speed, basic weapons" to "5 shots to kill, fast speed, and swords/rockets/etc. coming at you.". The only thing to offset the increased lethality is that your own armor and speed would be upgraded.

I dunno. I like the idea of feeling like a giant heavily-armored war machine, and starting off without that feeling and then earning it would make it feel more substantial. Honestly, the non-Spartan ranks could be like 1-5 with 6-50 being Spartan. That's why you'd keep Marines around for specific gametypes; everyone had to make one when they start out and it provides a clear distinction between different groups of players.

I understand where you're coming from, but one of the key things about Halo is that everyone starts on the same foot. I want to play with a friend who hasn't played a whole lot, but he's still a marine. That's a major hindrance for him to play with me or it's really unfair for his opponents. The uphill battle of player progression should be based on player skill, not what the player has access to.

your avatar just made my day.
Haha. Tence did an awesome job of capturing the essence from my real pic.

This is going to take a long time. I don't know if you are an expert on the human visual cortex, but I am and I make it a note of honor. A human being can only see 24 frames per second, a child a mere 12. The reason 60fps can seem smoother is that your brain interpolates extra frames using the invisible part of the RGB spectrum. Colors like infra-brown and ultra-taupe convince your hypothalamus that it is 'seeing' extra frames, but effectively they only exist in your imagination. Brains are remarkable things and should never be taken for granted,

Brilliant explanation.

However their brains are going to fool them into thinking they are right, or you don't know what you speak of.

Then the next time good Halo 4 information comes out, they will forget about their gripes, and go back to calling you their savior.

You already said it, but yes, not really my cup of tea. Starting out equally is a big deal for me in Halo and I wouldn't want players to be stronger as they level up.

However, I would like to be able to play as a marine/ODST in matchmaking. They could make it like the Elites in Reach with these character models only being in certain gametypes like infection, swat or another Invasion like gametype.

Retro

However, I would like to be able to play as a marine/ODST in matchmaking. They could make it like the Elites in Reach with these character models only being in certain gametypes like infection, swat or another Invasion like gametype.

Yeah, I'm trying to make the feel of being a Spartan more apparent, but the method I suggested doesn't really mesh with the Halo experience. So if this sort of Marine > Spartan transition were in, it would have to be cosmetic only.

I do like the idea of locking out the Spartan 'look' until players reach a certain rank. For one, it forces players to establish a "Marine" look for when the gametypes require they change to that model. For another, even if it has no gameplay element, it still feels cool to graduate up from "Soldier" to "Super Solider". It fits with what's going on in the Halo Universe too, with the introduction of
Spartan IVs

Plus, a lot of people would probably still stay in Marine mode just to look different. I know I'd probably go helmetless at least.

Brilliant explanation.

However their brains are going to fool them into thinking they are right, or you don't know what you speak of.

Then the next time good Halo 4 information comes out, they will forget about their gripes, and go back to calling you their savior.

If lol-framerate is required to get Halo 4 out of the sub-hd ghetto, I'll take it.

JuanGGZ

Banned
If people would like to show their support for the API continuing post transition, this thread is being used over on Waypoint. Please contribute if you feel the API should continue. Thanks

http://halo.xbox.com/Forums/yaf_postst57101_The-Future-of-Halotracker-without-Bungie.aspx

There will be always a solution called screen scraping if the API for Reach will not running after march.

In fact, even if community would keep the Reach API, I don't think 343 Industries will listen this time. Create and manage an API isn't something easy (this is not something difficult either), and would take a lot of time and investment.

Show your support for the Reach API is a good thing for Halo 4, and a similar system for this game. Reach is "dead", so let 343 Industries work on their next game, and tools for the community.

FyreWulff

There will be always a solution called screen scraping if the API for Reach will not running after march.

In fact, even if community would keep the Reach API, I don't think 343 Industries will listen this time. Create and manage an API isn't something easy (this is not something difficult either), and would take a lot of time and investment.

Show your support for the Reach API is a good thing for Halo 4, and a similar system for this game. Reach is "dead", so let 343 Industries work on their next game, and tools for the community.

Screen scraping Waypoint gets you a small amount of the total available stats via the API. The technology is already done for the Reach API. One would think they would just (I know I'm simplifying it here, but) have to move it over and redeploy on MS servers.

I find it hard to say Reach is dead when they're still actively selling 35$ worth of DLC for the game and we're only two full months out from the latest DLC release. 343 doesn't have to make the API from scratch here. It was already done, it was how Bungie.net grabbed stats and how Waypoint is apparently doing stats. The difference is after March 31st, only 343 will be able to access that data. Microsoft is a multibillion dollar corporation that can certainly afford to move it over, and keeping the API would garner them more goodwill than the loss off goodwill from killing off an entire section of the community. Microsoft had a huge number of stats apps made for free -for- MS by the community. It didn't cost them a dime to make any of those programs, the work has already been done. Why are they throwing that all out?

Wu puts this better than I do in the thread.

Hey You

500 credits for a challenge? Come on 343.

Anyways, one of these days we should get a full big team battle game going in Halo 3. A social Skirmish lobby would be cool as well.

It would probably go more smoothly if everyone was in/near the same region. North American Gaf perhaps?

Is anyone else having troubles with checking online friends on Bungie.net? When I click on it, it links me to the official xbox site.

If it isn't only me, maybe it has something to do with the stat tracking not working.

Karl2177

Is anyone else having troubles with checking online friends on Bungie.net? When I click on it, it links me to the official xbox site.

If it isn't only me, maybe it has something to do with the stat tracking not working.

Bungie.net profiles have been down all day. It's disappointing when the only reason I go there is broken...

Karl2177

Î thought that was posted 2 days ago :p

I knew about the stat tracking not working but the friend tracking was still working fine for me until now. Weird...

The only reason I visit bungie.net anymore is private groups. Unless Homeboyd has the url for Blueprint, I won't be posting there today.

I can see over 300 frames per second. I am a much higher evolved being than you scrubs.

I demand Halo 4 play at 350 fps so I can see whats going on in my robot brain.

The only reason I visit bungie.net anymore is private groups. Unless Homeboyd has the url for Blueprint, I won't be posting there today.

The main reason I still have Bungie.net as a homepage is the fact that I can easily check who is online :p
That's something I wish 343 would ad to the waypoint site. Really a neat little feature.

And I'd be down for some MLG customs if it wouldn't start to late (so in about 3 hours)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom