• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be a great 2v2 map. Those are really lacking in Reach.

Yeah, tell me about it, I really wish the maps in Reach stood out more.

GLUhX.png

Nice codpiece. :lol

This one + Devo's color palette/style from her rendition = the best.

Agreed. Merge the two of them for epic results.

Kibbles

I played some H3 today, game has not aged well. The framerate is so bad. I can't believe we all played it for 3 years.

What?! I played it the other day with some MLG FFA and schtuff with friends, it was a lot of fun and the framerate seemed a lot smoother than Reach's. o_O Also kicked ass on my first games in a long while on Halo 2 Vista and Reach Anniversary playlist the next day 8)

What?! I played it the other day and it was a lot of fun and the framerate seemed a lot smoother than Reach's. o_O Also kicked ass on my first games in a long while on Halo 2 Vista and Reach Anniversary playlist the next day 8)
Reach's framerate is less stable, I'll give you that.

Havok

At least not caused by the maps. Maybe if there's like a shit load of explosions at the same time, but otherwise not.
It's not really a drop in frames that 3 suffers from, but just a constant stutter that I always noticed when turning around. I can't really tell if Reach has the same problem, that ghosting is always too distracting :/

senador

Banned
DcLevartho's logos are sick indeed, but they are a little to urban. Halo 4 is supposed to be more alien and foreign. I like the Halo 4 logo as is, but seeing these ones you guys have made is really cool. I'd pick Devo's though. Nice color and uniform gradient with a subtle texture.

feel

Those are really hot DcLevartho. Now I realize I have no problem with the overall shape of the real Halo 4 logo, but what I dislike is the lack of depth and the cheap look with multiple gradients, hexagons,lensflare and whatnot.

Thanks guys, banged out a beveled version, the last one had none, just lens distortion that made it seem like there was a little.

2u0Xh.jpg

Just need to unwrap for texturing, or do some forerunner'ish stuff with the mesh in which case I'll update tomorrow.

The texture on those logos reminds me of Floam...

floam.jpg

Hopefully I'm not the only one that remembers this stuff.

That stuff was not as fun as the commercials made it out to be

You all must have awful luck with laggy games in Halo 3 and amazing luck with smooth games in Reach to treat the netcodes like they're leagues appart. I get about the same ratio of smooth/laggy games in both.

They are leagues different from my experience.
I played some H3 today, game has not aged well. The framerate is so bad. I can't believe we all played it for 3 years.

Yeah, I feel the same way every time I play it lately. I get some nostalgia bomb to play it and then a couple of games later I'm getting off and didn't have a good experience. Granted I always liked Halo 3 A LOT less than the majority of GAF to begin with. I was reminded how good the grenades were in Halo 3 last week though.

Yeah how come you don't try something new though? Its not going to make sense in a totally new trilogy.

I feel like the texture and content within the logo can be changed but the profile must remain as it is what 343 has been marketing, or microsoft. That and I love the profile, having the 4 in the center just seems like poor composition with the lack of curves you can do in a 4. Having it be set in the ring solves that issue and gives it a more prominent look.

Thanks guys, banged out a beveled version, the last one had none, just lens distortion that made it seem like there was a little.

2u0Xh.jpg

Just need to unwrap for texturing, or do some forerunner'ish stuff with the mesh in which case I'll update tomorrow.

That stuff was not as fun as the commercials made it out to be

Awesome, keep it up, Im liking everything you have done so as long as you like making these, I think we all appreciate them.

Im working on ... something similar to this. Its still storyboard process but keep your eyes peeled.

Sounds fun, have an ETA?

Presco

At least not caused by the maps. Maybe if there's like a shit load of explosions at the same time, but otherwise not.

Did you ever pick up snipe on Narrows? Framedrops galore.

I played Halo 3 all weekend and it was glorious. I'm thinking it will be a mix of Halo 3 and BF3 for me until Halo 4 comes out. But the netcode in 3 is not even close to Reach and framedrops were definitely noticeable at times. Nothing anywhere close to shitty Forge World framedrops, but noticeable nonetheless.

The four itself feels very bulbous, and it seems like you have a little too much bloom goin on

I'm not sure what you mean by bloom, yes the lighting is higher on the center however that doesn't fall into the category of bloom without being diffused with a soft glow, which would be present on the black background considering I didn't separate by object-ID for any of those.

Bloom is something I could have added, during render time with more lens effects, or in post with a Gaussian-blurred, high contrasted, minimal color, linear dodge layer of the render. Neither of those things were done.

Could you clarify what you mean? If there's a problem I'd like to correct it, and even though I disagree with it being bulbous I can't for a second count my perspective as better. Sometimes new information can change perception, and that leads to growth.

I see two things happening.

He has it, he obviously wants in and will pm me it
He is lying.

Any other answer dosnt seem possible. I cant see what could be in it other than Stuff thats going to go up at edelman as soon as Halo 4 is announced and thus a PDF would be useless at that point.

If its real its going to be just a press release and we wont get that press release till the day it officially comes out because his "MS friend" wont of gave him the password till that day.
-NOT-SURE-IF-SERIOUS.jpg

But I'd remind you guys what happened last year. Because of that, I'd say that HaloDestiny are really reliable source. And don't forget: They are french.
So this is kind of strange...

When Hyper uncovered the Feb 26 event and dropped some knowledge on us here and in the gaming side via his thread, I made a quick note over at the Waypoint forums here. About 5 minutes later, someone else by the name of paragraf111191 made an almost identical thread referencing the same source but had a different body to his post.

For some reason, people latched onto his thread and started replying to it rather than mine. No harm, no foul. I edit my OP and say "Even though this was posted first, you may lock this thread since the other one is picking up replies" or something along those lines.

Today I find the thread paragraf posted in the H4 forums (since I knew it was the one still alive), click on it, and find that it is now my OP with all of the replies from his thread moved to mine. Very odd. It even still shows him as the creator of the thread in the H4 main forum page, but when you click the thread, there I am as the OP. So, someone must've realized I posted the thread first and felt obligated to move all of his replies to my thread. But why? I even requested mine to get locked.

The only reason this may have any sort of significance is if it was done by the 343 admin team rather than just a mod. I figured a mod would oblige my request and just lock my less desirable thread... but an admin may have seen it differently. Perhaps, it is confirmed the showcase will be the unveiling of H4. I know we've all but confirmed this but even still to this day we haven't had any confirmation H4 will be at this event, much less to what capacity.

Just thought it was strange this happened the way it did.

#overanalyzing
Obviously had to do with my name.

Edit.: Happy birthday Slightly Live!

Sean P.

I'm not sure what you mean by bloom, yes the lighting is higher on the center however that doesn't fall into the category of bloom without being diffused with a soft glow, which would be present on the black background considering I didn't separate by object-ID for any of those.

Bloom is something I could have added, during render time with more lens effects, or in post with a Gaussian-blurred, high contrasted, minimal color, linear dodge layer of the render. Neither of those things were done.

Could you clarify what you mean? If there's a problem I'd like to correct it, and even though I disagree with it being bulbous I can't for a second count my perspective as better. Sometimes new information can change perception, and that leads to growth.

I think the biggest thing is the visual weight of the piece overall. It's very unbalanced to the left wheres all other Halo logos feel even. The full oval with the piece coming off to the right should be balanced by the gap and the fours point, not over weighted by it. The eye is drawn to the left instantly and then to the right, making you kind of ignore the four and see it more as a symbol.

The bloom comment was just just more directed at the uneven glow given off from the lighting making it look kind of messy. Although I'm assuming these are pretty quick renders and so not the best IQ so that critique is kinda up in the air :p

Looks great though, don't take what I'm saying purely as a negative, just trying to help out :p

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is more of a critique of the halo 4 logo itself? Ugggggg

zap

I'm pretty sold on the "4" being smaller than the outside halo.

I think Devo has made the best ones, though I would be interested in seeing DcLevartho's take on the small 4 logo.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Log on to HaloWaypoint for the first time in forever.

"Game requires update but update could not be found"

:/

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fucking fuck.

Remove jetpacks from Team Doubles.

Nothing like having two fucking guys just fly up to the tops of Synapse to have their shields recover and you can't even shoot them.

sfrkehger'oksgh'l4esklgnlkrsnklnkl;

Also toss out Uncaged, why does this map plague so many fucking playlist?

heckfu

Banned
I really wish I had something productive to add to this forum but I honestly think I've run out of ideas.

Oh! I like the 4 that is smaller inside the Halo logo.

NOW I'm out.

TheOddOne

Fucking fuck.

Remove jetpacks from Team Doubles.

Nothing like having two fucking guys just fly up to the tops of Synapse to have their shields recover and you can't even shoot them.

sfrkehger'oksgh'l4esklgnlkrsnklnkl;

Also toss out Uncaged, why does this map plague so many fucking playlist?
Remove jetpacks altogether I say. Pissed me off so much yesterday, people abusing it constantly.

Nuke Uncaged forever and make it seem like a distant memory.

TheOddOne

I braced myself for defeat whenever Uncaged came up in SWAT, its pretty much the only MM map I've ever truly hated.
I feel like jetpacks make the map even worse. Even without them though, it's still such a pain in the ass map -- the spawnpoints, weapon and healthpack placements are rediculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom