• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing a team that only use jetpacks on Boardwalk or Asylum is the weirdest thing though. I know I have a better shot than them but the movement with jetpack just seems so... weird, if that makes sense.

I played some H3 today, game has not aged well. The framerate is so bad. I can't believe we all played it for 3 years.

I remember when switching between CoD and Halo 3 the framerate would really hit me. Over time though I think I just got used to it. It feels fine to me now, not that im excusing the framerate problems but if you play a few games and get used to it the gameplay has aged extremely well.

Playing a team that only use jetpacks on Boardwalk or Asylum is the weirdest thing though. I know I have a better shot than them but the movement with jetpack just seems so... weird, if that makes sense.

Predicting how a team is moving and trying to flank or head them off is one of the things that the jetpack (and AA's in general), make impossible. I really dislike how they have changed map movement.

I'm not sure what you mean by bloom, yes the lighting is higher on the center however that doesn't fall into the category of bloom without being diffused with a soft glow, which would be present on the black background considering I didn't separate by object-ID for any of those.

Bloom is something I could have added, during render time with more lens effects, or in post with a Gaussian-blurred, high contrasted, minimal color, linear dodge layer of the render. Neither of those things were done.

Could you clarify what you mean? If there's a problem I'd like to correct it, and even though I disagree with it being bulbous I can't for a second count my perspective as better. Sometimes new information can change perception, and that leads to growth.

No! No bloom, for the love of god I dont want bloom on Halo 4.
Even as a visual effect on the logo. :p

I think it's pretty clear there won't be bloom for Halo 4.

85% works fine. Of course, that's with a single-shot precision weapon. I personally think it's too early to say there will be no bloom. I'm open to the idea of a less severe bloom if it suits the weapon sandbox that we will see in 4.

We don't even know what weapons we will be firing with or without bloom.

I'm all for having an optimal firing cadence. I just want to see how 343 has either tackled the issue of that cadence being abused at shorter distances or if they just addressed it in a totally different way.

85% works fine. Of course, that's with a single-shot precision weapon. I personally think it's too early to say there will be no bloom. I'm open to the idea of a less severe bloom if it suits the weapon sandbox that we will see in 4.

We don't even know what weapons we will be firing with or without bloom.

I'm all for having an optimal firing cadence. I just want to see how 343 has either tackled the issue of that cadence being abused at shorter distances or if they just addressed it in a totally different way.

85% is less painful and doesn't have all the issues that 100% does, but its still far from fun. I really do hope they just go back to having a fixed RoF.

Myyke

Neo Member
I remember when switching between CoD and Halo 3 the framerate would really hit me. Over time though I think I just got used to it. It feels fine to me now, not that im excusing the framerate problems but if you play a few games and get used to it the gameplay has aged extremely well.

I find the FPS difference between COD and Halo so jarring that I can't play both games regularly. I can adapt to the difference in framerate after playing several matches (in either game), but I just find it so instantly jarring when I switch that I only dedicate my time to one or the other now, and my choice has been Halo.

I also had the issue with MW3 and BF3 - when MW3 came out I was heavily invested in BF3 multiplayer and switching between the two every day saw my performance falter in both games. I can happily switch between Halo and BF3 regularly with no issues though, due to the simmilarities in frame rate.

Overdoziz

Banned
I find the FPS difference between COD and Halo so jarring that I can't play both games regularly. I can adapt to the difference in framerate after playing several matches (in either game), but I just find it so instantly jarring when I switch that I only dedicate my time to one or the other now, and my choice has been Halo.

I also had the issue with MW3 and BF3 - when MW3 came out I was heavily invested in BF3 multiplayer and switching between the two every day saw my performance falter in both games. I can happily switch between Halo and BF3 regularly with no issues though, due to the simmilarities in frame rate.
I used to have this back in 2007 while switching between CoD4 and Halo 3 but nowadays that's completely gone for some reason. :|

Striker

Would be a great 2v2 map. Those are really lacking in Reach.
But Guardian was a terrible 2v2 map, and not really one of the good ones from the series. From horrendous red spawn weapon/OS placement to the severe lack of BR/Carbine pickups (two total on the map; BR/Carbine is crucial on there because without a melee you won't kill a decent player with an AR from any range), it's a bad setup. It's only playable under MLG rules or under Team BR stuff, but even then red team is heavily benefited in the beginning (under Bungie's initial spawns). Much moreso than any other smaller one-sided map in any Halo game.

If there's a small, asymmetric map they need to remake, it's either Lockout or Turf. Ivory Tower is another map that should be in another Halo game; it's unfortunate it got plagued by terrible AA's in Reach. Fantastic 1-flag and 1-bomb map.

damn that Halo 3 video made me miss that game. So much more movement, grenades are better, and ninja-ing people is the best.
The actual grenade power was fine. Issue is finding hundreds of them lying around on the map throughout the game. Complete garbage.

Gazzawa

I'm up for that :p Zeouterlimits, Gazzawa, and Zalinkrow, what say ye?

They quittin out now. Thats what I say

Halo3UserContentDetails.aspx

TCKaos

The actual grenade power was fine. Issue is finding hundreds of them lying around on the map throughout the game. Complete garbage.

And having so many different kinds didn't make it any easier. Was there actually a difference in power between the Plasma and Spike grenades? I never actually noticed.

Havok

Perish the thought that someone actually enjoys Halo 3.
How silly. I like Halo 3 - I played a few thousand games of it, and I don't do that with games I don't like. At the same time, I can confidently say that Guardian spawns favored red team to a pretty ridiculous degree due to the stupidly long OS charge time and the largely poor weapon placement. Red gets OS, Sniper, and the Bubble Shield right off the bat, with a chance at Active Camo while the blue team gets a shotgun that they can't use aggressively because of the OS guy's long invincibility period and a possible Camo spawn without any really great routes to utilize it. It's made worse with AR starts.

The petty sniping from both sides is getting really old, give it a rest.

Woorloog

Banned
And having so many different kinds didn't make it any easier. Was there actually a difference in power between the Plasma and Spike grenades? I never actually noticed.

No power difference exactly but they acted completly different. The Spike 'nades stuck everything and showered spikes in one direction only. It had longest "blast radius" of all grenades but in limited arc only. Really missed them in Reach, while they weren't that effective, they were awesome at times. In tight corridors the spikes would bounce from wall to wall, being safe (yet deadly) to use if you didn't stand in the shower.

How silly. I like Halo 3 - I played a few thousand games of it, and I don't do that with games I don't like. At the same time, I can confidently say that Guardian spawns favored red team to a pretty ridiculous degree due to the stupidly long OS charge time and the largely poor weapon placement. Red gets OS, Sniper, and the Bubble Shield right off the bat while the blue team gets a shotgun that they can't use aggressively because of the OS guy's long invincibility period and a Camo spawn without any really great routes to utilize it. It's made worse with AR starts.

The petty sniping from both sides is getting really old, give it a rest.

The map itself was fantastic, but yeah its fair to say that in matchmaking doubles it did favour one side. Not all maps work in all game modes, that said with a few tweaks Guardian was a great doubles map.

The fact that it was aweful with AR starts isnt really saying much, all maps were aweful in AR starts! I think im blinded slightly by the fact that I used to play competitive customs a lot rather than matchmaking, but for the sake of customs at least I would like to see Guardian come back.

Havok

The map itself was fantastic, but yeah its fair to say that in matchmaking doubles it did favour one side. Not all maps work in all game modes, that said with a few tweaks Guardian was a great doubles map.

The fact that it was aweful with AR starts isnt really saying much, all maps were aweful in AR starts! I think im blinded slightly by the fact that I used to play competitive customs a lot rather than matchmaking, but for the sake of customs at least I would like to see Guardian come back.
Not just in doubles, though. You really didn't have anywhere to go from blue side at the beginning of the game. If you rushed the mancannon you'd get destroyed by the OS guy who is literally invincible after picking it up, if you went down to hammer spawn you'd get sniped, and the same could happen if you went into center while a good sniper was hopping up and down to cover both levels' approaches. The player count in this instance is irrelevant. I like the level geometry, but I can't separate that from the abysmal quality of the weapon placement when I look back on the map.

It was certainly made better by BR starts. Unfortunately, I had to suffer through too many AR start games to really learn to appreciate it.

The MLG version of Guardian is a great 2v2 map.

Back to Halo 3's framerate: I never had a problem with it in 07-10, and i have no problem switching between Reach and MW3.

It's weird but i just could not handle the framerate yesterday.

Not just in doubles, though. You really didn't have anywhere to go from blue side at the beginning of the game. If you rushed the mancannon you'd get destroyed by the OS guy who is literally invincible after picking it up, if you went down to hammer spawn you'd get sniped, and the same could happen if you went into center while a good sniper was hopping up and down to cover both levels' approaches. The player count in this instance is irrelevant. I like the level geometry, but I can't separate that from the abysmal quality of the weapon placement when I look back on the map.

Or you could wait till the OS burnt, sure its not great for gameplay but its an option, or you could grab Camo and try and sneak from bottom or green. Ultimately your right though, OS guys have the upper hand at the start of the game.

It was a great map for things like Swat and Snipes. Essentially I think thats because OS and Camo were gone in those modes, to be honest even on a fair amount of custom games I removed OS and Camo which is probably why I liked the map so much.

EDIT: Going back to the original point though, doubles in general was just a very campy mode, you cant blame Guardian for that. I cant think of many maps where power weapons and power ups didnt encourage locking down. Ultimately its why I didnt play the mode much.

I braced myself for defeat whenever Uncaged came up in SWAT, its pretty much the only MM map I've ever truly hated.
As someone who really enjoyed Forging in H3 and Reach and did a lot of it, Cage/Uncaged is pretty insulting. Stupidly long sight lines, incredibly poor mobility options (besides loljetpack of course), and narrow walkways are the exact opposite of what a quality mid-size is supposed to be in this game. And it was made by the same guy who did Lockout, which is equally baffling. Lesson learned, I hope.

I don't see anyway you can argue otherwise.

Oh that's actually a good point, it would have been a great alternative to the Laser for anti vehicle situations.

You can tell there was a lot of time love and care put into building the weapon as well, it feels so balanced, and perfect...

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Contest is going well, thanks for the bumps and support. Far from over though, voting ends tomorrow at 3pm Eastern

Myyke

Neo Member
That is a slightly better avatar.

I thought you would like it ;).

The glorious Lion Rampant, poised ready to strike, claws outstretched and ready to deliver a double-melee beatdown.

As someone who really enjoyed Forging in H3 and Reach and did a lot of it, Cage/Uncaged is pretty insulting. Stupidly long sight lines, incredibly poor mobility options (besides loljetpack of course), and narrow walkways are the exact opposite of what a quality mid-size is supposed to be in this game. And it was made by the same guy who did Lockout, which is equally baffling. Lesson learned, I hope.

This was my last game on Uncaged, a thoroughly enjoyable 4 vs 2 with everyone on the opposing team using jetpacks. Barely managed to keep it positive in the end, it is times like these I wish there was a "Didn't Rage Quit" medal.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

I am not arguing with your like or dislike of those two levels, but Lockout also has long lines of sight, narrow walkways and similar mobility situations. The main global difference outside of the actual layout, is fewer protected interior/vert spaces and of course AAs. Those are definitely significant differences, but it's similar in a lot of ways too.

That game was sooo bad. Matches like that really show you how bad Reach can be and how easily maps can be abused.

Tawpgun

I am not arguing with your like or dislike of those two levels, but Lockout also has long lines of sight, narrow walkways and similar mobility situations. The main global difference outside of the actual layout, is fewer protected interior/vert spaces and of course AAs. Those are definitely significant differences, but it's similar in a lot of ways too.
Lockout was definitely more contained as far as sightlines go whereas cage has huge open areas. Not to mention with a Jetpack you can see the entire map (but then again the Jetpack does break maps in this way so thats irrelevant to Cage's design as a whole)

Uncaged did a better job at mobility than Cage, but it still felt annoying getting around. It felt like a maze where there was only one way to get to a certain spot. I know that's not true, but its just what it felt like.

The reason Lockout was better, imo, is because it had 2 distinct power areas, the sniper tower and BR tower whereas Cage has a lame upper walkway power area.

You say Lockout had similar mobility situations but thats not true. With all the jumps and shortcuts to lower walkways you could take in Lockout it made it a REALLY fun map to traverse.

FyreWulff

I only ever enjoyed Lockout for 1 Flag CTF or KotH. Never liked it for Slayer (same problem Isolation has) or most other gametypes.

If they made Uncaged only as an Objective map for one flag or KotH, I think it would be more enjoyed by the general population. Don't like slayer on Ghost Town for similar reasons. Personally, I like Cage's idea of combining elements of Guardian with Ivory Tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom