• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

Juniors suck as of now.
smh2_medium.gif

I am not arguing with your like or dislike of those two levels, but Lockout also has long lines of sight, narrow walkways and similar mobility situations. The main global difference outside of the actual layout, is fewer protected interior/vert spaces and of course AAs. Those are definitely significant differences, but it's similar in a lot of ways too.
I agree that the two maps have obvious similarities, but I would argue that Lockout is an exception to the rule. The overall design of Lockout is far more nuanced with it's options for mobility, and there's more than The Cage's one small walkway area that can be fought over for dominance.

The Cage (to me) plays like it apparently started off being: a rough draft of Lockout. Combine that with the game-changing differences that Armor Abilities bring, and it's far and away the most unpleasant map I've ever played in Halo.

GhaleonEB

I agree that the two maps have obvious similarities, but I would argue that Lockout is an exception to the rule. The overall design of Lockout is far more nuanced with it's options for mobility, and there's more than The Cage's one small walkway area that can be fought over for dominance.

The Cage (to me) plays like it apparently started off being: a rough draft of Lockout. Combine that with the game-changing differences that Armor Abilities bring, and it's far and away the most unpleasant map I've ever played in Halo.

I'd add to the mix the DMR's range. The Cage has some very long sight lines, but those are only a problem when you can get domed from all angles across the map. Being down low and getting shot by guys so small you can barely see them just adds to that map's pain. Lockout was more compact and it made the combat more intimate; the tower to tower fighting is a fraction of the distance combat spans on The Cage.

The actual grenade power was fine. Issue is finding hundreds of them lying around on the map throughout the game. Complete garbage.

Yeah, the only issue I had with Halo 3 grenades is that they never disappeared from the map. You could often stand in one spot and endlessly throw grenades.

I'd add to the mix the DMR's range. The Cage has some very long sight lines, but those are only a problem when you can get domed from all angles across the map. Being down low and getting shot by guys so small you can barely see them just adds to that map's pain. Lockout was more compact and it made the combat more intimate; the tower to tower fighting is a fraction of the distance combat spans on The Cage.

Lets also not discount Halo 2's movement for being able to move around Lockout in ways that just don't happen in any Reach maps to be honest.

But Cage is terrible, the whole bottom section is so poorly designed. Yes, it has similarities to Lockout, but its basically if you took a Lockout style map, and did almost everything wrong, Cage is what you get.

Uncage is certainly an improvement, but you can only polish a turd so much.

Looking forward to trying Hotshot today, seems like a cool gametype. Hopefully I don't have to play 50 games of Haloball to get it.

343, PLEASE change BTB back so Slayer doesn't always show up in the first slot. It turns the playlist into Slayer on Spire all the time.

I'll give you all a heads up when the gametype is in place.

Thanks

senador

Banned
I can tell you why Caged/Uncaged is still in MM. The answer is simple. People like it (or at least vote for it). *

Back when my friends and I played several times a week, it was one of their favorites to vote for. I'm not sure why really. They were jet packers and could usually do decent at that map compared to others. They even acknowledged it being bad but still liked it.

I played solo a lot too and that map just gets voted for so much.

So despite it being poorly designed and ugly people still vote for it. I don't know if that's because its exploitable, people don't know any better, or simple because its the only map like that and its nice for variety? Dunno, but its popular and voting data must show that.

What gets me is that it was an early stage version of Lockout, meaning it wasn't good enough to be Lockout and evolved to a better state. Why the fuck would you then use those plans knowing its flawed state and build it? Its like taking a rough draft for a paper that was peer reviewed and had plenty of issues and you knew it wasn't good enough but then decided to turn it in as your senior paper/thesis or whatever down the road. It just doesn't make any sense. I love Carney but this move I'll never understand really.

*Disclaimer: My play time slowed down last fall, and I haven't played since November so I don't know if its still true and if it still gets voted for.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
yeah, uncaged gets voted for A LOT in my experience. people like it.

Fuchsdh

I can tell you why Caged/Uncaged is still in MM. The answer is simple. People like it (or at least vote for it). *

Back when my friends and I played several times a week, it was one of their favorites to vote for. I'm not sure why really. They were jet packers and could usually do decent at that map compared to others. They even acknowledged it being bad but still liked it.

I played solo a lot too and that map just gets voted for so much.

So despite it being poorly designed and ugly people still vote for it. I don't know if that's because its exploitable, people don't know any better, or simple because its the only map like that and its nice for variety? Dunno, but its popular and voting data must show that.

What gets me is that it was an early stage version of Lockout, meaning it wasn't good enough to be Lockout and evolved to a better state. Why the fuck would you then use those plans knowing its flawed state and build it? Its like taking a rough draft for a paper that was peer reviewed and had plenty of issues and you knew it wasn't good enough but then decided to turn it in as your senior paper/thesis or whatever down the road. It just doesn't make any sense. I love Carney but this move I'll never understand really.

*Disclaimer: My play time slowed down last fall, and I haven't played since November so I don't know if its still true and if it still gets voted for.

I like Uncaged by itself, but Lockout is simply much better. Both maps have long lines of sight but unlike Caged/Uncaged:

*The map tells you where to go. The two towers dominate, so people gravitate towards them. I don't know where I should end up in the Forge World--the center is sunk down low in elevation and doesn't give you good sight lines to the back half.
*You are not penalized for height. Lockout's underlevels are simply more protected, and its easier to get to a level playing field, or drop down if you're being chased.
*Quicker to navigate. What I've been noticing on H3 maps trying to get Lightswitch is there's much more mobility in maps like Guardian and Lockout. I can get to point A -> B much faster than the roundabout ways of Uncaged.

Lockout is the most overrated map in Halo history.

I got annoyed as hell when people in my TV studio class back in high school only wanted to play Shotty-Snipers on Lockout. You can tire of it easily. But it just flows a lot more naturally than Uncaged. It's not my personal favorite for multi maps, but I'm probably a bit odd in that regard (Turf!)

Ramirez

Lockout is the most overrated map in Halo history.

If by overrated you mean absolute MP Map perfection, then I agree. There is so little space on that map that goes unused, add in all of the shortcuts and you have one amazing map. It worked with so many game types too, I could go on all day talking about it!

Like seriously, if Lockout is overrated, what in the hell is your guys idea of a good map? Boardwalk?

senador

Banned
If by overrated you mean absolute MP Map perfection, then I agree. There is so little space on that map that goes unused, add in all of the shortcuts and you have one amazing map. It worked with so many game types too, I could go on all day talking about it!

Like seriously, if Lockout is overrated, what in the hell is your guys idea of a good map? Boardwalk?

Overrated =/= shitty

senador

Banned
Saying something is overrated implies that it's not as good as everyone said it was. I find it very hard to call out in major flaws in the map, so I'm curious as to why it's overrated.

For me, that's not the case. My fun to how much it gets praised and talked about ratio is off. Great map, love it, but I never had as much fun on it as people crack it up to be. Maybe I just wasn't good at it, I dunno. I played Halo 2 alone and sucked at it so that could be a factor. Also, people talking about a subject and praising it so much usually kills it a bit for me and I never like it quite as much as I could have otherwise.

That's what overrated is for me, not the actual quality for the map.

I got annoyed as hell when people in my TV studio class back in high school only wanted to play Shotty-Snipers on Lockout. You can tire of it easily. But it just flows a lot more naturally than Uncaged. It's not my personal favorite for multi maps, but I'm probably a bit odd in that regard (Turf!)

Nothing wrong with that, Turf is awesome.

Agreed lol.

How can people play Reach and even most of the maps in Halo 3 and call Lockout overrated?

People vote for Cage/Uncaged because you only need two people to lock down the single dominant area. It's also incredibly predictable when it comes to spawning, and there's not many safe places to do so. Combine that with the DMR's long range on an extremely open map, and it comes as no surprise to me when people vote for it. Popularity and quality can be mutually exclusive.

Lockout
Midship
Turf
Beaver Creek
Coagulation
Ivory Tower
Foundation
Sanctuary
Warlock
Relic
Tombstone
Headlong
Zanzibar

Halo 2 was God mode when it came to maps.
And everything else

wwm0nkey

Lockout
Midship
Turf
Beaver Creek
Coagulation
Ivory Tower
Foundation
Sanctuary
Warlock
Relic
Tombstone
Headlong
Zanzibar

Halo 2 was God mode when it came to maps.
yeah I really dont think anyone could say it wasnt, all the DLC maps where A+ quality too (except for backwash)

zap

Lockout was amazing.

Though an oft overlooked map that I really enjoyed in Halo 3 was Citadel. I was really disappointed that it released to late so we had a lot fewer matches played on it.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Saying something is overrated implies that it's not as good as everyone said it was. I find it very hard to call out in major flaws in the map, so I'm curious as to why it's overrated.

It was too easy to hold BR tower with combo and sniper.

Midship was better.

FyreWulff

The update is live. Also apparently a mega jackpot of 50,000cR.

Reach update screen said:
It's that time when you celebrate the one you love. We can't think of anyone we love more than you, the Halo community. As a sign of that affection we're adding Team Gotshot, a brand new gametype, to the Action Sack playlist.

This month we're giving you the opportunity to determine the future of Team Slayer. Starting February 7th, each voting round in this playlist will include one Title Update and one Vanilla choice. Make sure to have your voice heard by playing and voting as often as possible Feb 7 - 22.

As a bonus, we''ll be running a Mega Jackpot of 50,0000cR for the entire voting period. All you have to do to qualify is play Team Slayer and remember not to quit.

Please continue to visit HaloWaypoint.com for additional information and please share your thoughts and feedback via the forums.

We choo-choo choose you.

For those interested: bsangel just tweeted that the Hotshot gametype is in her fileshare.

Then she said "feel free to grab!" ...do with that what you will.

FyreWulff

For those interested: bsangel just tweeted that the Hotshot gametype is in her fileshare.

Then she said "feel free to grab!" ...do with that what you will.

I got it in Action Sack first try.. after people voted in Shotty Snipes for the first round and someone map failed.

The downside of the gametype is once a guy gets heat and has a sniper rifle, he can 1SK you in the body with it. It's like I'm being autoaimed to death. I'm going to suggest that 343 change the weapon set to No Sniping.

FyreWulff

Team Hotshot details:

Vanilla base

Sorts under a new category called "Action Sack"

Has a blank for an author (but still the usual 9/13/10 creation date)

AR/Pistol start. Sprint/Camo/AL/Jetpack/Hologram.

Hotshot-specific options

Score Augmentation On/Off - Score augmentation means players get bonus points equal to the number of consecutive kills they've scored

MODIFIER_LIMIT - 1 or 3. How many kills the player can score before damage modification stops.

FIRST KILL, SECOND KILL, and THIRD KILL submenus bring up the player traits prefab menu, so you can customize the full range of player traits per heat level.

Homeboyd

Team Hotshot details:

Vanilla base

Sorts under a new category called "Action Sack"

Has a blank for an author (but still the usual 9/13/10 creation date)

AR/Pistol start. Sprint/Camo/AL/Jetpack/Hologram.

Hotshot-specific options

Score Augmentation On/Off - Score augmentation means players get bonus points equal to the number of consecutive kills they've scored

MODIFIER_LIMIT - 1 or 3. How many kills the player can score before damage modification stops.

FIRST KILL, SECOND KILL, and THIRD KILL submenus bring up the player traits prefab menu, so you can customize the full range of player traits per heat level.
That is really cool. Thanks for the details.

Edit: Happy Birthday Daniboy!

Edit 2: Man I wish Halo had this kind of DLC schedule.. I know I'm pretty much alone on this (something about splitting user base) I just love new DLC maps...

CyReN

pgy2Y.jpg

ipYPw.png

Zie9Y.jpg

Happy Birthday Slightly Live! and Congrats Tashi looks like you won, some bad news though it seems a lot of pros have stopped using the controller..

Nah, just the quarter century. I feel old. I'm constantly bitching about the "music" them kids listen to these days, pure tripe it is!

And thanks folks! <3
You won't really start to feel old until you find your first white hair. ;-)

http://i.imgur.com/pgy2Y.jpg[IMG]

Happy Birthday Slightly Live! and Congrats Tashi looks like you won, some bad news though it seems a lot of pros have stopped using the controller..[/QUOTE]already?! That seems a bit quick, unless they had their hands on them earlier than the public.

CyReN

You won't really start to feel old until you find your first white hair. ;-)

already?! That seems a bit quick, unless they had their hands on them earlier than the public.

Ninja used it for 2 weeks and switched back, I'm guessing its comfort level and the sticks being too tight (which fixes the slow turn but may do something called "fast turn" now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom