• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Lets post more sai-kun dance gifs, and all sorts of other random crap from the internet.

DMR Behaviour Comparison Between TU Bloom and Default Bloom

1) At short range, spamming is on average more likely to win in either bloom setting. However, 85% bloom increased the Percentage of Pace Wins from 28% to 40%. Also, 85% bloom reduced the Margin of Win of spamming from 0.178 seconds to just 0.036 seconds, further emphasizing the decreased advantage spamming has at close range in 85% bloom. Basically, at short range, 85% bloom increases the likelihood of pacing wins compared to 100% bloom.

2) At medium range, pacing is on average more likely to win in either bloom setting. But 85% bloom increased the Percentage of Pace Wins from 64% to 76%. Also, 85% bloom slightly increased the Margin of Win of pacing, further emphasizing the increased advantage of pacing at medium range in 85% bloom. Basically, at medium range, 85% bloom increases the likelihood of pacing wins compared to 100% bloom.

3) At long range, pacing is on average extremely likely to win in either bloom setting. Interestingly, the Margin of Win of pacing actually decreased slightly in 85% bloom. This can be attributed to the higher likelihood of body shots landing at long range. But this change is insignificant given that both 100% and 85% bloom have Margin of Win times of at least 1.902 seconds. That is such a huge margin of time that the number of paced wins was actually unaffected. In both 100% and 85% bloom, the Percentage of Paced Wins remained the same at 88%. Basically, at long range, 85% bloom keeps the same very high likelihood of pacing wins as 100% bloom.

4) By studying the number of shots fired in each kill, I noticed that in 100% bloom, a spammer would always win the battle unless he needed to fire 7 or more shots. This means the spammer has two chances at max bloom (5th and 6th shot) to kill the pacer, while the pacer can’t miss any shots. But in 85% bloom, if the spammer needed a 6th shot, he would always lose to the pacer. This means both the spammer and pacer have no margin for error, which gives further advantage to the pacer since his shots are more accurate.

5) I also compared the probability of a spammed headshot kill in each of these groups. At short range, 85% bloom increased headshot probability from 92% to 100%. At medium range, 85% bloom did not change headshot probability and remained at 92%. At long range, 85% bloom actually decreased headshot probability from 84% to 76%. However, this does not mean 85% bloom makes spamming the DMR better at short range. It is important to remember that based on the above conclusions, 85% bloom results in less spamming wins than 100% does at short range. I included this headshot result to show that even though at short range spammed headshot probability is increased, spamming wins are still reduced in 85% bloom at short range. Basically, whether a spammed kill ends in a headshot is meaningless if paced shots will win. And 85% bloom increases the likelihood of paced wins compared to 100% bloom.

Therefore, because 85% bloom increases the advantage of pacing at short and medium ranges, equals the advantage at long range, and encourages pacing by making a missed spam shot much riskier, those who prefer to have DMR pacing rewarded and spamming punished should choose 85% bloom.

NR Behaviour

Shots to kill:

DMR = 4 anywhere + 1 head = 5
= 7 anywhere

NR = 5 anywhere + 1 head = 6
= 9 anywhere

With bleed-through in the Title Update, it is revealed that the NR doesn't do exactly 1/6ths of a shields worth of damage per shot - it does very slightly more. So after 5 shots, the 6th shot will cause left-over damage to health within the paradigm of bleed-through damage. When directed at the head, this is an instant kill.

The below empirical evidence was gleened from simply making 1 kill with each weapon at point blank range on the built-in Asylum variant using a modified TU BTB Slayer gametype that spawned everyone with both a NR and DMR. Played in a local lobby.

I will assume that the delay from physically pulling the trigger to the actual execution of the shot from each weapon is the same, since I have no way to measure it.

For reference, when I say 'frames' I mean uniquely rendered frames, of which there are about 30 in a second (29.97) rather than frames outputted by the Xbox to the TV (which is usually 60 (59.94)).

From the frame where the first shot connects, the number of frames that passes until each subsequent shot is observed to connect until the final killing shot.

DMR
12 +12
24 +12
36 +12
48 +12

Needle Rifle
9 +9
19 +10
28 +9
38 +10
47 +9

Min time to Kill
DMR= 1.60s = 48 frames
NR = 1.57s = 47frames

Note that the NRs cooldown seems to alternate 9, 10, 9 etc. If this cycled the opposite way around, 10, 9, 10 etc. then it would also take the NR 48 frames to kill - exactly the same as the DMR.

We shall assume the pattern with the NR continues on subsequent shots.

1 missed shot
DMR = 60 frames = 2.00s (6 total shots)
NR = 58 frames = 1.93s (7 total)

2 missed shots
DMR = 72 frames = 2.40s (7 total) (if you still hit anywhere, the DMR kills here)
NR = 67 frames = 2.23s (8 total)

3 missed shots
DMR = 84 frames = 2.80s (8 total)
NR = 77 frames = 2.57s (9 total) (if still hit anywhere, NR kills here)

Body shot difference: 2.57s - 2.40s = 0.17s (5 frames)

Commentary
So if you can land every shot and the final headshot, you might have a marginal time advantage with the NR. Of course, if a shot is missed, due to the higher ROF, a NR user can have another go sooner. If multiple shots are missed, that advantage increases.

The NR has two distinct mechanical advantages over the DMR in TU:
1. It is, for all intents and purposes, Zero Bloom,
2. It is fully auto-matic - just hold the trigger down.

So as range increases, you retain perfect accuracy, and don't have to move your trigger finger. Compared to a DMR user who at least has to mash the trigger and whose reticle will bloom, introducing at least an element of luck.

The DMR has quite significant shot magnetism, so as a DMR user's reticle blooms, this might actually help with landing the final headshot, so long as they're within red-reticle range. Though as Fyrewulff demonstrates, you get help with that on the NR as well.

Past red-reticle range (more than half the length of Asylum) the DMR of course has a higher zoom level, which will help seeing what you're trying to hit, but then again, the NR is ZB, so if your aim is spot-on, you might as well pick that.

Lets say you get a little bit of a jump on a DMR player, and this gives you an average advantage of 200ms - for the sake of argument, lets say their first shot on you compared to yours on them is delayed by that amount. If they hit all of their shots perfectly, landing the final headshot as well, you, with the NR, must miss a shot for them to win.

On the other hand, if you both go for the body shots (or miss a couple of shots entirely), your jump advantage means you'll still be slightly ahead, and you'll have an additional chance to hit the head as well: A Needle Rifle user can kill on the 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th shots. A DMR user can only kill on the 5th, 6th or 7th.

Conclusion

The Needle Rifle is badass and is more than a match for the DMR. It's only downfall is the slightly lower zoom level for extreme (BTB) ranges, but that can be solved with superior aiming skill - do you have it?

There you go, Nutter. On topic.

TU makes a difference but barely to the DMR and the NR poops on everything else. =)

I wish 343 would just tell us when to expect some news, I don't see the harm in knowing a month...
Mmh. I think one problem could be if Frankie or David says that we can expect something in February, the news will spread around in the web in a few seconds. But at the end Microsoft pulls off the trigger, everyone is going to blame Frankie or David that they "promised" Halo 4 news in February.

-bs post of course-

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Mmh. I think one problem could be if Frankie or David says that we can expect something in February, the news will spread around in the web in a few seconds. But at the end Microsoft pulls off the trigger, everyone is going to blame Frankie or David that they "promised" Halo 4 news in February.

-bs post of course-

Honest question, why restrict the info to a HaloGAF post? The entire industry, and I'm being serious, is waiting to see what 343 do with Halo 4. If they are preparing to make the big unveil, then they should shout it from the rooftops and start the hype.

I think when they are ready to let us know when it happens, we're all going to know. GAF, HBO, Waypoint, IGN, everyone. Then again, I doubt we'll EVER see another Halo countdown.

Just wish they'd hurry up. =P

Honest question, why restrict the info to a HaloGAF post? The entire industry, and I'm being serious, is waiting to see what 343 do with Halo 4. If they are preparing to make the big unveil, then they should shout it from the rooftops and start the hype.

I think when they are ready to let us know when it happens, we're all going to know. GAF, HBO, Waypoint, IGN, everyone. Then again, I doubt we'll EVER see another Halo countdown.

Just wish they'd hurry up. =P
Countdown of an Announcement always sucks.

I hope 343 handles the stuff like Bethesda did.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Sweet new home!! I like.

I think he was referring to the trailer countdown. :lol

Bethesda said they're releasing a trailer one day, and released it the next. Bam.

And what a trailer.

I know, I know, but that one was too easy. :lol

343, if you manage to give me goosebumps with a trailer like Beth did, you will have my money.

Tawpgun

Ar sux
Bloom sux
AA's sux

Welcome to HaloGAF.

Is the newbie quiz in the OP?

Also, thanks Dani for the info. Suck it bloom/vanilla lovers.

Karl2177

I might try my hand at a banner later. Which makes me wonder, what are all of the fonts that are in the Halo games?

Nice, glad we moved to a Halo |OT| format. Right, well, back to lurking and barely playing Halo multiplayer (I still play a decent amount of Anniversary's campaign).

Miggytronz

WOOT! New Thread!

QNvDw.gif

I wish 343 would just tell us when to expect some news, I don't see the harm in knowing a month...

Looks like 343 are adamant about doing everything on their time without promising a thing until that thing is ready to go out the door. This is a big project for them. Bigger than the books and even an order of magnitude larger than CEA was.

I understand why they want to keep things locked down until they are sure they are ready for the onslaught. I wish it weren't so, but I get it.

Sidenote: Halo 4 needs daily challenges for each part of the game. There should be at least 4 for MP, 4 for Campaign, and 4 for Firefight (or whatever other wacky game modes 343 come up with).

Hey You

Sidenote: Halo 4 needs daily challenges for each part of the game. There should be at least 4 for MP, 4 for Campaign, and 4 for Firefight (or whatever other wacky game modes 343 come up with).

That would be nice. I like working for challenges (even if the payout does nothing really for my rank).

Also give us the ability to create custom challenges and see them in game.

Karl2177

I've never understood the concept of paid fonts. Then again, I've never understood the concept of DLC not going free either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom