• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading the Halo 4 announced thread.

Posting here:

My opinion is that Halo 3 is much better in terms of encounters/level design etc. but a huge step back if we talk about cinematic and story telling compared to Halo 2.

GhaleonEB

No love for my perfect banner.

what.EVER.

I just got back from meetings and lunch. I know I missed quite a few - mind relinking it?

Posting here:

My opinion is that Halo 3 is much better in terms of encounters/level design etc. but a huge step back if we talk about cinematic and story telling compared to Halo 2.

Yup, agree entirely. From a gameplay design, Halo 3 was superb. I really wish we get something as great as Halo 3's gameplay and design, coupled with Halo 2's story telling.

Posting here:

I agree. Halo 3's storytelling was, well, shoddy at best. The first three levels could've easily been thrown out.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Spent the morning listening to the new music. Theme for one particular character made me send Chespace an "unf unf" email.

Tawpgun

Posting here:

Halo 3 did vehicle combat better and the expanded sandbox allowed for more variety.

But CE is still the best DESIGNED. I think Ghaleon or Dani mentioned this before. How you had things like rocket and sniper ammo packs in the levels, but not replacement weapons.

So you could risk carrying around a power weapon in your back slot, one that can easily be out of ammo, for the reward of getting ammo later. It emphasized the two weapon mechanic the best. And the outdoor infantry encounters were beautiful. The levels felt amazing because you could be fighting on a bridge and then half an hour later, be fighting underneath that same bridge in the chasm.

Spent the morning listening to the new music. Theme for one particular character made me send Chespace an "unf unf" email.

Sheeeeit. Just hit me that Marty isn't doing the music anymore... Good luck to whoever is doing the music for the new trilogy.

Gui_PT

I just got back from meetings and lunch. I know I missed quite a few - mind relinking it?

I didn't mean that seriously since I only made it as a joke, but maybe you'll get a laugh out of it

YFNEJ.jpg

Booshka

Yup, agree entirely. From a gameplay design, Halo 3 was superb. I really wish we get something as great as Halo 3's gameplay and design, coupled with Halo 2's story telling.
I just hate fighting Brutes, I wish they were never introduced into Halo games, and Halo 3 is an entire game of fighting them. I've never really given Halo 3's Campaign a fair shake for two reasons, brutes all day, and game mechanics that I felt were lacking. It looks like it does have some of the best encounters of the series, but I just can't get past those two hang-ups to experience it. I've tried several times to play through the campaign and I get bored somewhere through the 3rd level and stop playing.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I said nothing that would implicate me. I wasnt illegally distributing anything.

*whistles*

Yeah. That font costs $35, about the same price as a video game. But everything is equal with piracy, eh?

Might be a good idea to keep on eye on the new banner submissions after Stalker's generous offer that didn't imply he was illegal distributing stolen fonts.

heckfu

Banned
Yeah. That font costs $35, about the same price as a video game. But everything is equal with piracy, eh?

Might be a good idea to keep on eye on the new banner submissions after Stalker's generous offer that didn't imply he was illegal distributing stolen fonts.

LISTEN MAN. Mine was an innocent, free, sparkle banner at the highest quality. I'll be damned if it doesn't see the limelight.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
It's probing, but what style was it in? Typical Halo strings or the Vangelis type that was kind of heard during the HaloFest panels?

I'm afraid of Mass Effect losing all of it's synth, a crappy transition to 'epic movie trailer soundtrack' that started in ME2 but may turn around if Mansell has the balls to go back to ME1's sound.

Did you wear that hoodie?

Halo 3 did vehicle combat better and the expanded sandbox allowed for more variety.

But CE is still the best DESIGNED. I think Ghaleon or Dani mentioned this before. How you had things like rocket and sniper ammo packs in the levels, but not replacement weapons.

So you could risk carrying around a power weapon in your back slot, one that can easily be out of ammo, for the reward of getting ammo later. It emphasized the two weapon mechanic the best. And the outdoor infantry encounters were beautiful. The levels felt amazing because you could be fighting on a bridge and then half an hour later, be fighting underneath that same bridge in the chasm.

Sheeeeit. Just hit me that Marty isn't doing the music anymore... Good luck to whoever is doing the music for the new trilogy.
I have to say that I only compared Halo 3 with Halo 2. I'm letting Halo: CE out of the comparing right now.
Hopefully I'll get at least 100 posts in this one. :^)
I believe in you. You will definitely get 107 posts!

Hmm all coming off a bit.. negative. Im not distributing anything, I was willing to use my legally paid fonts if they provided a PSD. i dont see anything wrong with that do you?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
343, if you manage to give me goosebumps with a trailer like Beth did, you will have my money.
They already gave me goosebumps with the E3 2011 trailer. Cortana desperately crying out to wake up Chief, sheeeeeeeeit. Gave me shivvers.

I've tried several times to play through the campaign and I get bored somewhere through the 3rd level and stop playing.
Yeah. :-(

Sierra 117 is okay, but nothing mind blowing. Crow's Nest is good. Feels like a new and improved Pillar of Autumn from CE. Tsavo Highway is good, and almost unanimously loved. The Storm is boring, unless you really like Scarab battles (Ghaleon, Dax). Floodgate sucks. The Ark is amazing. Covenant is also amazing. Cortana is the worst level in the series. And Halo is pretty awful.

So, Neil Davidge? Also, sneak peek?

They already gave me goosebumps with the E3 2011 trailer. Cortana desperately crying out to wake up Chief, sheeeeeeeeit. Gave me shivvers.

Wish I could say the same.

Sierra 117 is okay, but nothing mind blowing. Crow's Nest is good. Feels like a new and improved Pillar of Autumn from CE. Tsavo Highway is good, and almost unanimously loved. The Storm is boring, unless you really like Scarab battles (Ghaleon, Dax). Floodgate sucks. The Ark is amazing. Covenant is also amazing. Cortana is the worst level in the series. And Halo is pretty awful.

Gameplaywise, they're all okay except Cortana, imo. The Storm, Floodgate, the Ark and the Covenant are amazing, and Halo's pretty good too imo.

Storywise? The game doesn't really get going until the end of 'The Storm'. That's four levels that barely serve any purpose.

Quite frankly the best image for a banner that could have possible been chosen, where is it from?

Hello HaloGaf!

Oh odd, its on a rotating banner!

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Contributin' for OT banner:

With Spartans:

f90OI.png

Without Spartans:

TcmMf.png

I take no credit for T-bag emblem.

Virgin media?

Yea, I'm guessing it must be their problem and nationwide then. Funny cause they sent me an email telling me they're going to upgrade my speeds to 120mb down and charge me less. I'm on a 10mb down package... they sent out the correction email pretty sharpish.

Yea, I'm guessing it must be their problem and nationwide then. Funny cause they sent me an email telling me they're going to upgrade my speeds to 120mb down and charge me less. I'm on a 10mb down package... they sent out the correction email pretty sharpish.

Yeah seems solved now for me. Pretty odd stuff.

I agree, Halo 3 had really good encounters gameplay wise, yet sometimes they didn't hit the wow factor they could have. I feel that Halo 3's engine was part of the problem since it visually was kinda empty (awesome skyboxes and lighting aside). But yeah, the story really hurt the encounters for me since I was continuously let down while expecting something more grand, ala Halo 2. I really hope Halo 4 can capture the magic from each Halo game while still introducing a new feeling.

Ooh, I wanna hear, I promise I wont tell!

Arnie

Now it finally feels like Reach is behind us, fully support the name change.

I'll start posting in here again once the Halo 4 marketing push begins. Information deluge incoming. Hope we get some form of in-engine trailer at the very start, something to set the ball in motion. We saw Halo 3 in engine on it's announcement and we saw Reach in engine at the VGAs. It's about time.

Now it finally feels like Reach is behind us, fully support the name change.

I'll start posting in here again once the Halo 4 marketing push begins. Information deluge incoming. Hope we get some form of in-engine trailer at the very start, something to set the ball in motion. We saw Halo 3 in engine on it's announcement and we saw Reach in engine at the VGAs. It's about time.

Yeah but those engines videos had alot of "fluff" applied to them, I agree still, some in engine footage would be great gameplay even better. Just show us multiplayer few new weapons on a new map.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom