• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spent the morning listening to the new music. Theme for one particular character made me send Chespace an "unf unf" email.
imcN5spKu7NoN.gif

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Now it finally feels like Reach is behind us, fully support the name change.

I'll start posting in here again once the Halo 4 marketing push begins. Information deluge incoming. Hope we get some form of in-engine trailer at the very start, something to set the ball in motion. We saw Halo 3 in engine on it's announcement and we saw Reach in engine at the VGAs. It's about time.

That got me thinking about Halo 3's marketing and reveals back in the day. Very impressive how content-filled and consistent every piece of information regarding Halo 3 was:

• June '06: Halo 3 E3 reveal with E3 trailer ViDoc
  • November '06: Initial Halo 3 reveal via EGM
  • December '06: Second ViDoc - "Et tu Brute?"; first in-game alpha shot of Chief
  • April '07: Halo 3 Beta date announced with MP ViDoc
  • May '07: Halo 3 Beta
  • ONE week after Beta ends: Second magazine reveal showing off Epitaph, Spiker Rifle, and customizable armor pieces
  • June '07: Halo 3 E3 trailer
  • August '07: GamesCom - Sketch plays Tsavo Highway
  • September '07: Halo 3 released

All material kept you hooked and wanting more while being consistent. No large "blackouts" a la ODST and [currently] Halo 4. In between all those reveals were consistent Bungie Weekly Updates that always gave enough salivating teases that by the time you were dry, the next BWU arrived giving you more. There was never really a point in time where you didn't hear anything about Halo 3, no matter how small or big said details were.

feel

Short title looks hot on the Subcriptions page of the iphone app.

Also 343i please make Team Slayer Ranked on Halo 3 BR-start only.

I can't wait till the Halo 4 info starts coming out and we're all excited discussing every tidbit, the lead up to a main Halo game is so awesome when you have an online group like this to share the excitement.

Arnie

That got me thinking about Halo 3's marketing and reveals back in the day. Very impressive how content-filled and consistent every piece of information regarding Halo 3 was:

• December '06: Second ViDoc - "Et tu Brute?"; first in-game alpha shot of Chief
  • ONE week after Beta ends: Second magazine reveal showing off Epitaph, Spiker Rifle, and customizable armor pieces

It really was perfect.

BWU's were something to really look forward to, and Frank, Luke and in turn Urk were generally pretty generous in the information they dolled out.

I honestly think the Halo 4 content will begin before the end of January.

Gui_PT

I can't wait till the Halo 4 info starts coming out and we're all excited discussing every tidbit, the lead up to a main Halo game is so awesome when you have an online group like this to share the excitement.

And then the disappointment

I hope not

MrBig

It really was perfect.

BWU's were something to really look forward to, and Frank, Luke and in turn Urk were generally pretty generous in the information they dolled out.

I honestly think the Halo 4 content will begin before the end of January.

I think it will start in Feb- beginning of March. With very little time between first in-game footage and the open (or invite only) beta testing if they are having any, and they definitely should (Look at what Reach would have been if it hadn't gone through open testing). Then a stop to footage after the beta and text-only updates (with more nonsensical artwork describing the game by Frankie) leading up to the media blowout the month before release.

All material kept you hooked and wanting more while being consistent. No large "blackouts" a la ODST and [currently] Halo 4. In between all those reveals were consistent Bungie Weekly Updates that always gave enough salivating teases that by the time you were dry, the next BWU arrived giving you more. There was never really a point in time where you didn't hear anything about Halo 3, no matter how small or big said details were.

Agreed. I really hope February brings some news finally, heck even a screen or a render that doesn't show much but starts the hype machine. I really want some Halo 4 behind the scenes material also, the Halo 3 ViDocs were fantastic.. Especially dissecting them.

That's right! We also got a BTS video of the Halo 3 announcement trailer. We haven't gotten anything like that for either of Halo 4's trailers.

Kingdoms of a amalur reck.... im only playing this for my mass effect 3 goodies the game is terrible.

Halo 4 better not have multiple preorder bonuses depending on retailer. That is some bullshit.

It also needs a sweet 3 tier SKU launch. I need more halo goodies (and my halo 3 xbox and halo reach xbox would like a buddy)

Halo 4 better not have multiple preorder bonuses depending on retailer. That is some bullshit.

Don't get your hopes up.

Thanks for linking those articles Dani, pretty interesting stuff. It surprises me that 343 left the TU incarnation of the needle rifle in considering that Shishka himself acknowledged its problems at Halofest.

McNei1y

I never really post in these topics but I do enjoy lurking and reading some halo backstory. I never knew that the Halo Anniversary had terminals. I just spent about an hour+ reading halo-pedia/watching them on youtube. I really should read the books that came out after Onyx (which are those again? Premadorium, Glasslands, Cryptum?). Anyway, it may not be the best backstory but its still fun interpreting it and thinking about it when playing these games.

Hopefully Halo 4 info comes out soon!

New thread and a happy b-day, the best halo b-day, to me! Halo 4 exclusive info as a present?

If not, I'll just have to have this templeton rye to soothe me.

Homeboyd

I never really post in these topics but I do enjoy lurking and reading some halo backstory. I never knew that the Halo Anniversary had terminals. I just spent about an hour+ reading halo-pedia/watching them on youtube. I really should read the books that came out after Onyx (which are those again? Premadorium, Glasslands, Cryptum?). Anyway, it may not be the best backstory but its still fun interpreting it and thinking about it when playing these games.

Hopefully Halo 4 info comes out soon!
Welcome!

I don't know as much about the books as some of these guys around here so I can't help much there. I think you've got the list right though.

Stick around man.. Rumor has it, TONS of Halo 4 info is on the way.

And by "TONS" I mean "none ever."

McNei1y

Welcome!

I don't know as much about the books as some of these guys around here so I can't help much there. I think you've got the list right though.

Stick around man.. Rumor has it, TONS of Halo 4 info is on the way.

And by "TONS" I mean "none ever."

Thanks! Halo is basically my child hood since it was one of the first games that I really followed since its original announcement. Like others have said, Halo 3 was perfect at releasing bits of info here and there. I'm amazed that all we have gotten is that teaser trailer. You're right. I hope tons come but I wouldn't be surprised :\

Karl2177

Thanks! Halo is basically my child hood since it was one of the first games that I really followed since its original announcement. Like others have said, Halo 3 was perfect at releasing bits of info here and there. I'm amazed that all we have gotten is that teaser trailer. You're right. I hope tons come but I wouldn't be surprised :\

The teaser trailer and the concept trailer with a music preview.

For the books, Cryptum and Primordium are in the same trilogy and Glasslands starts off a new trilogy following the events of Ghosts of Onyx. The terminals are a good insight to possible events in Halo 4.

Cryptum link(?)
Gravemind says in the final level of Halo 3:
"Defeat is simply the addition of time to a sentence I never deserved... but you imposed."
Any relation to the Prisoner of Charum Hakkor? "But you imposed" meaning the human's captivity of it?

PNut

Banned
Alright, new thread. Nice.

BTW, Tyrant posted his first Halo 3 campaign walkthough yesterday.

Each week I'll be taking you on a detailed tour of Halo 3 on solo Legendary with in depth, narrated video guides brought to you in high definition! Each week a celebrity from the Halo community will be guest hosting with me in addition to giving away awesome avatar prizes at the end of each episode!

Be sure to follow me (MythicTyrant) on Twitter for a chance to win free XBL avatar prizes each week! The day of release, I will be asking ONE question regarding the released episode. The first person to get it right will receive a 343 Industries t-shirt avatar code: one male & one female.

Discuss.

What if 343/MSoft blacked out Reach for SOPA. Shiiiiiiit.

Nobody would know.
Snobby population joke about people only playing infection.
Joking aside, a MS blackout would be awesome but I think it would only anger customers.

"Maybe there is a plasma grenade stuck in a corner somewhere I don't normally look."
I must have thought that 100 times. There is no worse feeling than finally finding a plasma nade and then missing the stick and watching all the elites roll away.

Halo 2 takes the cake for hardest opening level on legendary. The two hanger rooms. The enemies never end.

It was awful. Though I was very happy when I finally got past it, Ill say that..

Man a "Halo 2 Anniversary" would be nice. Maybe, but then again, I really dont want to split the population of Halo 4 assuming its good so.. Hm.

CoD gets too many DLC maps.

Share moar.

COD has a good DLC implementation, so they can sell a lot of DLC, because it's worth it.

Haven't really commented on the Halo 2 talk. Halo 2 was amazing (even with some dull encounters), but god if that game ended up being what it was supposed to be before they had to cut so much of it....I can't even, so ambitious.

Edit: Total side note: Just fired up my laptop with win 8 dev build on it. Spell check and autocorrect built into the OS is awesome.

I don't get why yall say Cairo Station is hard. I beat it on stream one day on Legendary pretty quickly and only died once or twice.

Plasma pistol > BR.

Just don't waste too much BR fluid by not aiming well.

CyReN

Anybody here have the MLG controller yet? Wondering if anybody has some good honest opinions on it, only gripe is it's wired but looking to get it soon.

FyreWulff

:lol some guy is finding the updates i'm uploading for infection maps to my fileshare and tagging them as "u cant forge" and "remove from living dead"

You mad, 'sploiters?

COD has a good DLC implementation, so they can sell a lot of DLC, because it's worth it.

Also, MW2 didn't include achievements for the DLC (as far as I can tell, anyway). I like that. I see Black Ops had stupid achievements for it's DLC though.

Also, MW2 didn't include achievements for the DLC (as far as I can tell, anyway). I like that. I see Black Ops had stupid achievements for it's DLC though.

Only for the zombies maps though. Competitive MP has no achievements in the COD serious, not even ones tied to the investment system.

FyreWulff

Well quit getting rid of my good spots! WTF, how else will my K/D be above 1!?

February Matchmaking Update:

- Megalo now creates soft kill (w: 3 l: 3 h: 3) at every player's X,Y,Z coordinates every 30 seconds.
- All 7 previous versions of Hemorrhage added to matchmaking

Said screw it and bought Halo Anniversary and Reach today after thinking about the Bloom tweaks.

Very much enjoyed the Anniversary mp but was hungrier for some DMR play minus the bloom after hearing about this 85% bloom thingy. Unfortunately bloom didn't seem too different in the team slayer game I played but I jumped into an MLG playlist and it was like the game was reborn.

I've advocated a new formula for Halo 4 in the past but the traditional mechanics might still deserve some iteration for a game or two. Hoping to join up with some members of Halo-GAF for some fun games, bloom or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom