• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They jacked his twitter too.
Calling people out and having them respond harshly. That can't feel good.

It's ridiculous, actually; he was jacked a week or two ago, got his tag back. At that point, he should have been on a list that made recovering the tag nearly impossible - it's unacceptable that the system allowed a second jack (unless he did something idiotic like use the same password again - which I truly doubt).

My tag was jacked a couple of years ago, and I was put in touch with someone pretty high up once I had it back; they made some changes that made changing account info pretty tough. So either someone seriously fucked up here with Ryanoob's account, or these douchebags have found another way in.
Yeah, I was lucky enough to get help in fixing my account in October due to the EA/FIFA hacks in a couple days and be in contact with Microsoft throughout. I was told about the cell number authentication and account change notifications, but it really isn't enough, considering how rampant and apparently easy it is to fool CSRs and their systems. I just want two-step authentication on all LIVE services. Still don't feel very secure with my Xbox stuff.

It's also a reason why I don't want to use SkyDrive/Office 365 or any other services they offer.

I agree with your comments on streamlining things. I really hope they use that new waypoint feature they came out with in a more effective way. What was it called? Compass? Axis? I don't remember. That would be a really cool way to go about it though.
ATLAS

I hope it becomes an in-game feature in Halo 4. The Reach (mobile) version is a neat idea but isn't useful enough to warrant looking away from the screen.

That's where I was going with the LB HUD idea - let you check which power weapons are about to respawn and immediately head in that direction.

I don't know how many times I've been wandering around Spire and just stumbled onto a Fuel Rod Gun or Sniper unchallenged. Sometimes it's just blind luck when players pick up power weapons and that shouldn't happen.

ATLAS

I hope it becomes an in-game feature in Halo 4. The Reach (mobile) version is a neat idea but isn't useful enough to warrant looking away from the screen.

That's where I was going with the LB HUD idea - let you check which power weapons are about to respawn and immediately head in that direction.

I don't know how many times I've been wandering around Spire and just stumbled onto a Fuel Rod Gun or Sniper unchallenged. Sometimes it's just blind luck when players pick up power weapons and that shouldn't happen.

Speaking of the Phone apps, I wonder if they have any plans to update the Android App to work on HTC phones? I really wanna grab that app, but at this point it still doesn't work.

ATLAS

I think ATLAS would be pretty useless either way. It's a cool little feature, but it's actually uses are pretty slim.

ATLAS

I think this would be a very good idea, but I don't think you should give the player to find out of a weapon has spawned on the fly. I would think it would be really cool if any time when you are not alive in a multiplayer game (it could work on the re spawn screen perhaps). I think it would be a really good feature for new players to better understand the maps. It could include descriptions of how things work, timers, re spawns, etc.

ATLAS

I personally never thought this would ever happen but I have to disagree with your opinion at this case. The difference between a "pro" and a "noob" is the knowledge of the weapon location, when a weapon spawn again etc. imo. Your idea will take this difference away. I know it sounds perfect people who aren't playing the game that much or don't have the time to memorize everything but I won't really want to see such a feature in a ranked playlist. It's my definition of a "professional" player and a causal player in Halo. I guess a lot of people think my definition is shit, they are right.

I'd be fine with it in Social playlist where the main focus lay on fun and not on the competitive aspects of the game. :) Or do it like Gears 3 way: People, who haven't played more than 500+ games in Halo 3 and Reach, have access to a specific new player-friendly ranked playlist.

Is this a serious question?

In nearly every playlist right now (I'm pretty sure MLG is an exception), and on nearly every map, power weapons spawn 3 minutes from their last pickup.

How hard is that to learn?

I know that. Everyone on this board probably knows that.

90% of the Halo population doesn't, and that's what I'm getting at.

Casual players don't necessarily figure out the timer - there's no intuitive and safe in-game way to get that information.

(And like Overdoz1z mentioned, it isn't always consistent.)
-------
Megalo can't force weapon respawns, right? (Fyrewulff might be able to answer this.)

What if there was a gametype where every five minutes the power weapons all respawned regardless of when the previous one was picked up? (unless it's still sitting there)

Give some kind of indicator - a beep, a horn - to signify this to the player. It would be like the initial rush all over again. This would be the only time power weapons respawn.

I know that. Everyone on this board probably knows that.

90% of the Halo population doesn't, and that's what I'm getting at.

Casual players don't necessarily figure out the timer - there's no intuitive and safe in-game way to get that information.

(And like Overdoz1z mentioned, it isn't always consistent.)
-------
Megalo can't force weapon respawns, right? (Fyrewulff might be able to answer this.)

What if there was a gametype where every five minutes the power weapons all respawned regardless of when the previous one was picked up? (unless it's still sitting there)

Give some kind of indicator - a beep, a horn - to signify this to the player. It would be like the initial rush all over again. This would be the only time power weapons respawn

The weapons placement and spawn intervals are all done to facilitate movement and fights over areas of the map. Having them all spawn at the same time would kill that, which is a pretty significant part of the game.

A cool happy medium to help players I think is the overhead shot of the map at the beginning of a Gears 3 map that shows where the power weapons spawn.

senador

Banned
The weapons placement and spawn intervals are all done to facilitate movement and fights over areas of the map. Having them all spawn at the same time would kill that, which is a pretty significant part of the game.

A cool happy medium to help players I think is the overhead shot of the map at the beginning of a Gears 3 map that shows where the power weapons spawn.

Pair that with a revamped and improved Halo 2 style loading screen that shows game type and map settings and we have an awesome feature. That could show what power weapons are in the game type and map you are about to play and spawn times for them.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

animation3hqsqrmjsh.gif

Trey

Wait, what? Re-read the line you quoted. Are we agreeing that Halo 1-3's movement doesn't need to be changed? Or are you saying we don't need to change things from Reach?

I'm saying that while I'm of the opinion that Halo 4 should implement newer gameplay elements to deepen the combat, Halo 1-3 HD would be a competent game, therefore nothing needs to change although I would like to see some. For many, playing the same game since 2001 is enough. I ain't about that life.

I personally never thought this would ever happen but I have to disagree with your opinion at this case. The difference between a "pro" and a "noob" is the knowledge of the weapon location, when a weapon spawn again etc. imo. Your idea will take this difference away. I know it sounds perfect people who aren't playing the game that much or don't have the time to memorize everything but I won't really want to see such a feature in a ranked playlist. It's my definition of a "professional" player and a causal player in Halo. I guess a lot of people think my definition is shit, they are right.

I'd be fine with it in Social playlist where the main focus lay on fun and not on the competitive aspects of the game. :) Or do it like Gears 3 way: People, who haven't played more than 500+ games in Halo 3 and Reach, have access to a specific new player-friendly ranked playlist.

So there's this big gap between "professional" players and "casual" players - knowing (and being able to time) the weapon respawns.

Professional vs. Professional -> conflict over power weapon determined by gunplay
Casual vs. Casual -> power weapon goes to whoever is randomly in the right place at the right time - unless two players are there and then it's determined by gunplay
Professional vs. Casual -> Professional wins, because he knows when the weapon will respawn (unless the Casual happens to be in the right place at the right time - then it comes down to gunplay)

I'm tying to remove that particular gap - making it less about memorizing locations/timers and more about gunplay.

The key point is that it should never tell players the exact respawn time, just give them a broad window. Draw them to that location and make the professional earn the power weapon.

Not suggesting that be the default, I just thought it would be an interesting variant.

Umm remembering power weapon spawns is part of the skill. Higher level players can remember that stuff while focused on the in-game. Its a balance of sorts. In no way should people be told and hand held in this aspect. It works fine.

Don't you get it guys? One shot to the hog with the new attachable pistol and it flips.

Please say AR (or at least AR starts) are gone)

Umm remembering power weapon spawns is part of the skill. Higher level players can remember that stuff while focused on the in-game. Its a balance of sorts. In no way should people be told and hand held in this aspect. It works fine.

This man know what's up, it should be up to the person to learn when the power weapons are back, I don't think we need to 'dumb down' the game in that particular area.

Saying that I'm fine with an overview map at the start of the game only ala gears 3.

So there's this big gap between "professional" players and "casual" players - knowing (and being able to time) the weapon respawns.

Professional vs. Professional -> conflict over power weapon determined by gunplay
Casual vs. Casual -> power weapon goes to whoever is randomly in the right place at the right time - unless two players are there and then it's determined by gunplay
Professional vs. Casual -> Professional wins, because he knows when the weapon will respawn (unless the Casual happens to be in the right place at the right time - then it comes down to gunplay)

I'm tying to remove that particular gap - making it less about memorizing locations/timers and more about gunplay.

The key point is that it should never tell players the exact respawn time, just give them a broad window. Draw them to that location and make the professional earn the power weapon.

Not suggesting that be the default, I just thought it would be an interesting variant.

What I got from this is "lower the skill gap"

If anything it needs to be increased. The skill gap in halo 3 was a joke. It was even worse in vanilla reach, and pretty much the only place there is much of a skill gap is in MLG's ZBNS settings which are way better than halo 3 ever was.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tell me what you see about my quit ban. And then while you're at it change the GT to "Tashi" <3 Thanks bro

The more you tighten your grip, Hyper, the more hoodies will slip through your fingers.

MoffTarkin.pic
Sigh.

And to think I was about to put this hoodie in the mail. All the way to the GMBH.
Rietberg(lk). Ein 19-jähriger Abiturent betrieb suizid nachdem er einen Forenpost des NeoGAFs Forum gelesen hat. Die Eltern könnten die Reaktion ihres Sohnes nicht verstehen und stehen nun unter psychologische Betreuung. Auch seine Freunde und Mitschüler sind von der Tat überrascht gewesen. "Er war so ein glücklicher Mensch" betrauerte sein bester Freund uns.

Tell me what you see about my quit ban. And then while you're at it change the GT to "Tashi" <3 Thanks bro

Just remember: A Microsoft Employee will never ask for your password. Beware of sleazy online jerks.

Based on RyaNoobs' experience you may want to challenge Frankie to change your GT.

"Er war so ein glücklicher Mensch" betrauerte sein bester Freund uns.

My German is a little rusty, but I think this translates to: "The war is for the hoodie Menschool" bet ar u Erde with better Freud buns.

Someone say free hoodies?

I can't tell. It's hard to read with all these hoodies in my face. PLEASE stop sending them to me Frankie.

Sigh.

Rietberg(lk). Ein 19-jähriger Abiturent betrieb suizid nachdem er einen Forenpost des NeoGAFs Forum gelesen hat. Die Eltern könnten die Reaktion ihres Sohnes nicht verstehen und stehen nun unter psychologische Betreuung. Auch seine Freunde und Mitschüler sind von der Tat überrascht gewesen. "Er war so ein glücklicher Mensch" betrauerte sein bester Freund uns.

I understood that :D

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just looked at a random account. That person has quit at least once every day (often more) since January 11th and is on their third quit ban.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian

I may need to see this. Not like the US makes good movies any more.

I just looked at a random account. That person has quit at least once every day (often more) since January 11th and is on their third quit ban.
Oh how I wish Halo had a drop in playlist. I quit out of a few Battlefield matches every time I play, and it feels great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom