• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

malfcn

Debating SpOps or Wargames for DXP. Wargames is fun, but haven't tried SpOps yet and don't want to play it with randoms.

Someone used hologram against me where he used the hologram, and then ran in front of the hologram. I started to shoot at the one behind me and then I got completely worked.

Re: strafing, which I've seen people complain about... while I feel the same way (that it's sluggish), you've got to realize most encounters in Halo 4 are taking place at longer range (because of the abundance of precision weapons up to 3x in scope, and especially because of the map design). Couple that with Halo 4's heavy autoaim, and you have a recipe for strafing being less and less useful in the average duel. I'm not sure the basic movement speed is actually much more sluggish than other Halo games.

u4iX

Where to start, where to start... The CTF changes, the lack of objective changes, or the Team Snipers settings...

Starters, what's the rationale behind adding a few Mantis to Meltdown? I actually enjoyed that map as is... I don't think I'll enjoy the BTB variant as much now. I would have liked to see a decrease in Binary Rifle Personal Ordnance if anything.

• Added a new variant to Ragnarok CTF, which removed Banshees

This needed to have the Mantis removed, not the Banshees. The Mantis promotes SITTING THERE, you put shots into a Mantis, it hides behind a rock until its shields come back, then comes back out. Smart players aren't going to "Lemming" themselves at it until it dies. That's been my experience thus far in Ragnarok CTF at least.

• Improved spawning for CTF and Infinity Slayer on Complex

This is a good change. The theme of Complex spawns used to be the song "Bright Eyes" by Bonnie Tyler... you know, TURN AROUNDDD? That one.

Mode
Team Snipers
Teams
4v4
Score to Win
600 [60 Kills]
Loadouts
UNSC Sniper Rifle Only
Ammo
Unlimited
Time Limit
12 minutes
Grenades
Disabled
Ordnance
Disabled

I don't like these settings. I like having a grenade and a pistol for Team Snipers, otherwise the engagements feel bland and elongated. The inclusion of a secondary and a grenade hastens the gameplay and varies the interaction. Unlimited ammo also is something that can be included, but if it isn't, it actually promotes some movement because if you're running low on ammo, you NEED to move to get some. Now, with no grenades, no pistol, and unlimited ammo, you can set up camp for long, long time.

Finally, why are there no changes to weapon spawns in objective modes?

CTF and Oddball need them to break set ups, promote movement, and changed the dynamic of the gametypes. If you're up one in CTF, guess what? Hold your base. You'll win. No all the time, you nerds, I know that, but that IS the best strategy until the enemy breaks your set up. I thought the new CTF mechanics would make the game faster, but I've RARELY had games go to 5 caps.

The proof is in the pudding.

The pudding tastes great, but it could still use some work.

Maybe some vanilla.

zap

graphcharts.png

graphcharts_v2-2.png

343 realises that there are pretty much no small maps in Halo 4?

Havok

So, if they were always going to be the first two things added to the game, why wait to put SWAT and Snipers in there instead of having them at launch? I'm genuinely curious, is it a logistics issue?

Also, I mentioned this yesterday, but why was the Banshee selectively removed from the CTF variant but not the KOTH variant, which shares the same player count and many of the same issues arising from vehicle/power weapon spam making it overly chaotic?

At some point I think I'm looking for more drastic changes than they're probably willing to do in these playlist updates. A sort of rethinking of some basic design philosophies is probably not on the table. Maybe I'll save it for another time, but there's a bunch of manifesto-style paragraphs taking shape in my head at the moment.

I don't like these settings. I like having a grenade and a pistol for Team Snipers, otherwise the engagements feel bland and elongated. The inclusion of a secondary and a grenade hastens the gameplay and varies the interaction. Unlimited ammo also is something that can be included, but if it isn't, it actually promotes some movement because if you're running low on ammo, you NEED to move to get some. Now, with no grenades, no pistol, and unlimited ammo, you can set up camp for long, long time.
I think having limited ammo would go a long way to reducing the campfest that latter-day Snipers turned into (and Reach eventually became very much a Pistols game on smaller maps which makes me hesitate about giving magnum secondaries), but given the way the new (horrendous) fast despawns on fallen weapons, I'm not sure it would even work. Imagine Ragnarok, you use your last shot to kill a guy, whose weapon despawns before you can get there.

Just got the master commendation for the DMR.
Was hoping I'd get a DMR weapon skin, but nope.
The weapon skins seem to be only for specializations and pre-orders, oh well!

CTF and Oddball need them to break set ups, promote movement, and changed the dynamic of the gametypes. If you're up one in CTF, guess what? Hold your base. You'll win. No all the time, you nerds, I know that, but that IS the best strategy until the enemy breaks your set up. I thought the new CTF mechanics would make the game faster, but I've RARELY had games go to 5 caps.

The proof is in the pudding.

The pudding tastes great, but it could still use some work.

Maybe some vanilla.
Infinity Slayer needs some better global weapon drops too, I'm noticing quite a bit of camping for personal ordnance going on, and I don't like it.
In an ideal world, there would be really powerful global ordnance dropped in contested areas, while the personal ordnance are the medium strength power weapons.

But DEFINITELY in the objective gametypes, please!
Adrift would be such a great map if everyone couldn't freely camp.

u4iX

Infinity Slayer needs some better global weapon drops too, I'm noticing quite a bit of camping for personal ordnance going on, and I don't like it.
In an ideal world, there would be really powerful global ordnance dropped in contested areas, while the personal ordnance are the medium strength power weapons.

But DEFINITELY in the objective gametypes, please!
Adrift would be such a great map if everyone couldn't freely camp.

Agreed on both fronts.

I do like the fact that these are MINOR tweaks too, but these minor tweaks would make a MAJOR difference.

They need to be implemented.

what is wrong with some people? just played with some teammates who would look the other way as I tried to fight three enemies, and then ran away after I died. Would it fucking kill you to maybe shoot the same people I'm shooting? For fucks sake.

Ken

what is wrong with some people? just played with some teammates who would look the other way as I tried to fight three enemies, and then ran away after I died. Would it fucking kill you to maybe shoot the same people I'm shooting? For fucks sake.

You could blame the removal of an easy to see "teammate shooting dudes" indicator. Countless times I would assassinate a guy and his teammate would just run by like nothing was happening. It must be really hard to tell apart the feint blue tag of "neutral" versus the feint bluish purple tag of "I'm being shot/shooting at people" on some television sets.

Omni

Anyone know how to Forge Dominion?

I've got turrets, shields, base terminals... I don't know what else there is, but it's still not working.

Fuelrod cannons, fuelrod cannons everywhere.
That's not even the worst part to be honest.

The Pelican part at the end is simply comically bad.
Haven Global Ordnance has straight up changed on me in the last couple days. Tell me why!
Yeah I saw a Spartan Laser on Haven today.

---------------------------------

Jessica's Waypoint stats write-up is amazingly lengthy and deep, but it essentially reaffirmed to me how awful it is. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the Waypoint stats for Reach have a superior layout. There is no way to view a page of all the medals for War Games, and even more unbelievably there is no way to view all my War Games weapon breakdown.

Havok

You could blame the removal of an easy to see "teammate shooting dudes" indicator. Countless times I would assassinate a guy and his teammate would just run by like nothing was happening. It must be really hard to tell apart the feint blue tag of "neutral" versus the feint bluish purple tag of "I'm being shot/shooting at people" on some television sets.
It's especially easy to be confused with assassinations without those clear indicators (I'm getting assassinated, my tag should be flashing bright red). Some of those animations are such a mess of flailing arms and legs (which isn't a criticism, Reach was the same way for me) that it's hard to tell who is the assassin and who is the victim at a glance.
Jessica's Waypoint stats write-up is amazingly lengthy and deep, but it essentially reaffirmed to me how awful it is. I can't believe I'm about to say this, but the Waypoint stats for Reach have a superior layout. There is no way to view a page of all the medals for War Games, and even more unbelievably there is no way to view all my War Games weapon breakdown.
I thought about making a joke about how Waypoint was the only site on the Internet that required a 4,000 word (no joke) instruction manual.

I've definitely gotten used to finding the stats Waypoint has available now, and I'm glad it at least performs pretty well for me while previous incarnations definitely didn't, but the layout is obviously not ideal. I think a big part of that is how it goes for a much flashier presentation than I want, whereas bnet was very much a bread-and-butter no-frills experience that just handed you the data you wanted and said "here you go!"

I've definitely gotten used to finding the stats Waypoint has available now, and I'm glad it at least performs pretty well for me which previous incarnations definitely didn't, but the layout is obviously not ideal.

The performance on the Surface is abysmal, and I'd imagine other RT devices, too. Curious to see how it runs on iPad and Android. It's a shame, too, as Smart Glass is supposed to be part of the whole Windows 8 thing.

It's a pretty damn heavy site, that's for sure.

pakkit

Banned

There are a lot of newbies on the servers. It's fine though, it's feeding my dong-o-meter.

I think TrueSkill might be catching up to me, I'm dangerously close to dropping below the 2.0 K/D ratio I've had so far.

EDIT: I'm curbing some of my criticisms. 343 has shown so far that they're going to be supporting Halo 4 for a while now, and I've already seen marked improvements in Waypoint, Halo 4 playlists, and the online structure. Plus, the pacing is just more fun than it was in Reach (and I loved the hell out of Reach).

malfcn

I know those pieces of shit. I yell everytime, it's beyond stupid. Not just bad kids, terrible kids.

Havok

The performance on the Surface is abysmal, and I'd imagine other RT devices, too. Curious to see how it runs on iPad and Android. It's a shame, too, as Smart Glass is supposed to be part of the whole Windows 8 thing.

It's a pretty damn heavy site, that's for sure.
That's actually pretty interesting considering Surface's flagship status. It runs...okay on my phone, a Lumia 900. Scrolling doesn't quite work properly as it doesn't have normal inertia, which is annoying, but it loads and I can see all the information I could on the desktop version, which is more than I could say for the last incarnation.

Top Bottom