• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The Infinity Slayer BTB game I played on it last night wasn't very fun. The entire center of the map is a death trap now, so everyone sticks to the peremeter. I spent 100% of the game either on cave side (I had the base by the waterfalls) or over by bubble, in protracted DMR fights with guys in the choke point above their base. Vehicles got toasted in around 10 seconds of becoming active. Once, our team pushed through to the other side and got in a long DMR fight with guys in the base. Then we got pushed back and spent the rest of the game in these long ping fests.

The middle is a deathtrap in the same way the center of Hemohrrage was. Other than one or two short lived vehicle runs and our one brief push, I never saw a member of the other team cross the middle of the map, because we were engaging from such long distances. It was....really boring.

I've only played a few games on it. But I'm wondering, what are the other ways to play it?

Sound like my run-ins with Valhalla in Halo 3.

broony

Yeah, loving Spartan Ops too, although mostly in co-op. My Spartan Ops loadout:

DMR
Magnum - for close range elite encounters, or to save DMR ammo when assaultingon grunts and jackals.
Frag Grenades - Get a nice bounce and its like a Bouncing Betty to take down a group of jackals/grunts and weaken the elites.
Hologram - so many tactical uses, and even more important when soloing.
Mobility - you will end up running back and forth a lot, so it helps.
Ammo - More ammo at spawn, more ammo in weapons you pick up. Works out great considering the number of enemies you tackle.

Me: BR, hologram or turret. Hang back and call out positions, take out watchers, turrets, bring down shields.

Dad: BR jet pack. Mice between positions giving support.

Brother: BR or AR. Pile into things, picks up sword. Lots of melee.

But it's all organic and roles have developed naturally with our own play styles and change regularly through each game v

Trey

Not even half a year, but yeah sure, Halo 4 ROCKS dude. Best game EVER!!!11

I think 343 would be better served adding some H2 maps to Halo 4, along with a TU update that allows more classic Halo options, and a classic Halo matchmaking playlist.

That's more reasonable than reviving Halo 2 fully.

Yea, that only took them what, 2 years?

oh, whatever. Halo 2 was fucking glorious. Remember Zanzibar? And Waterworks? Yeah, that was at launch. Then the DLC maps, like Terminal! And the experience of dual-weilding SMGs with a good sound system, whether it's 5.1 or some nice headphones, was like sex for the ears. And out of all the Halo engines, I feel like 2 was the best one, providing the best acrobatics and requiring actual skill to get kills. Halo 3 made it more about whatever weapon you were holding instead of skill.

Havok

Ragnarok 5v5, apart from the new vehicles, plays pretty much like I remember Valhalla - one team sets up at Pelican and has a couple guys on the hill peeking over whichever rock the enemy base can't see behind, the turret area is basically off-limits unless you want to be killed in a heartbeat, and one team just throws themselves at your setup for the entire game. The Mantis does a decent job at helping to break that setup, but the map shares the same merits and problems that Valhalla always had.
I also don't understand the hate on SpOps reusing areas, did you guys honestly expect them to be able to crank out 5 new play spaces every single week?
Asset reuse was a given. Four of the previous week's five areas making a return, three of which featured the exact same enemy set being used in just about the exact same manner, that's the real issue. One of those three played almost exactly like the campaign section it was pulled from, so why does it exist at all? People also weren't expecting that aggressive of reuse so quickly. If those areas made a return in say, three weeks, I wouldn't have said a word. I would hope that they have more than those six areas to work with, or else it's just going to get really old.

I mentioned this before, if you're going to reuse those areas, at least make the experience different enough to warrant it and make it feel like it's not a total retread. Hacksaw is the right way to reuse them (now there's a big Covenant group here instead of the Crawler/Watcher clusterfuck, and also here's some Marines), Gagarin is definitely not (the exact same enemy set in the exact same room teleporting in at the exact same spot).

I also don't understand the hate on SpOps reusing areas, did you guys honestly expect them to be able to crank out 5 new play spaces every single week?
I thought that was what 343 said we were getting. All new areas except for some parts of Requiem where we'd see them in a different light after the events of the campaign.

I set my expectations based upon how the mode was being sold.

Still enjoying the hell out of it, but its not quite what I thought it would be (in terms of solo play and environment re-use).

But it's all organic and roles have developed naturally with our own play styles and change regularly through each game v
Probably my favorite aspect of Spartan Ops. It gets us into the groove and rhythm of working as a team. Then we drop into some Infinity Slayer where that's put to the test and we can tackle more in your face personal battles. The Big Team Slayer to put it all in practice and have some crazy fun.

Gray Man

Banned
Vehicle situation is worse than Reach, which has got to crushing for people that really like vehicle combat in BTB Halo. I've never lasted in a vehicle not called the Mantis for more than 10 seconds. Even something like the Wraith, which was balanced pretty well in Reach, is now completely useless.

I think Infinity BTB just needs to tone back the amount of power weapons you can get in drops. Increase the health of most vehicles by a little bit, and I guess using the Driving specialization would help a good deal as well?

Aside from getting used to the new warthog physics, its got a good turret, and I think it would actually shine, given the chance.

Also The Banshee is about 30 times more difficult to use, I'm not sure I would call that over powered at all.

Ramirez

Not even half a year, but yeah sure, Halo 4 ROCKS dude. Best game EVER!!!11

You need to check your calendar, I remember playing Containment with nothing but SMG, and I know Containment didn't come out 6 months after it released.

My post had nothing to do with Halo 4, I just grow tired of seeing people lick the nuts of Halo 2 like it was some sort of perfection in disc form. The game was a glitch filled mess that had the most offensive cheating in MM the series has ever seen.

Like I said though, when the inevitable H2 remake comes out and you guys can flock back to it, I eagerly await the bitching of the BR that does nothing to people off host on large maps, a PP that would literally curve around objects to hit you, and good ole fashioned BXB melee battles.

oh, whatever. Halo 2 was fucking glorious. Remember Zanzibar? And Waterworks? Yeah, that was at launch. Then the DLC maps, like Terminal! And the experience of dual-weilding SMGs with a good sound system, whether it's 5.1 or some nice headphones, was like sex for the ears. And out of all the Halo engines, I feel like 2 was the best one, providing the best acrobatics and requiring actual skill to get kills. Halo 3 made it more about whatever weapon you were holding instead of skill.

Yea, I remember people super jumping to the top of Zanzibar with the snipers, people flying to the top structure of WW with snipers, the game generally being so laggy in BTB it was laughable to try and take it seriously, among other things. Let's not forget the attic of Terminal, great design there.

The 2nd half of that post has to be the best joke post in a Halo thread in a while, thank you.

broony

I thought that was what 343 said we were getting. All new areas except for some parts of Requiem where we'd see them in a different light after the events of the campaign.

I set my expectations based upon how the mode was being sold.

Still enjoying the hell out of it, but its not quite what I thought it would be (in terms of solo play and environment re-use).

I think maybe if you had to download a new Enviroment each week it would put people off on storage space alone. I guess they have styled somewhere around 8-20 environments taken from campaign that can be played in two or more directions. Plus each Enviroment has had some thought taken over it with force field being used to stagger the Enviroment. To be honest it's been done really cleverly.

I think maybe if you had to download a new Enviroment each week it would put people off on storage space alone. I guess they have styled somewhere around 8-20 environments taken from campaign that can be played in two or more directions. Plus each Enviroment has had some thought taken over it with force field being used to stagger the Enviroment. To be honest it's been done really cleverly.
Well that's why I thought you needed to have the storage space and an Xbox Live account to play Spartan Ops (besides the normal 'fuck you, thats why' reasons). Honestly thought we'd have to download each episode after the first one. Or at least download whatever they couldn't get on disk 2 for launch.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
You need to check your calendar, I remember playing Containment with nothing but SMG, and I know Containment didn't come out 6 months after it released.

My post had nothing to do with Halo 4, I just grow tired of seeing people lick the nuts of Halo 2 like it was some sort of perfection in disc form. The game was a glitch filled mess that had the most offensive cheating in MM the series has ever seen.

Like I said though, when the inevitable H2 remake comes out and you guys can flock back to it, I eagerly await the bitching of the BR that does nothing to people off host on large maps, a PP that would literally curve around objects to hit you, and good ole fashioned BXB melee battles.

Yea, I remember people super jumping to the top of Zanzibar with the snipers, people flying to the top structure of WW with snipers, the game generally being so laggy in BTB it was laughable to try and take it seriously, among other things. Let's not forget the attic of Terminal, great design there.

The 2nd half of that post has to be the best joke post in a Halo thread in a while, thank you.

lol thank you!

Gray Man

Banned

Dudeeee you don't understand it was those game breaking glitches and exploits that made Halo 2 multiplayer so amazing!

broony

Well that's why I thought you needed to have the storage space and an Xbox Live account to play Spartan Ops. Honestly thought we'd have to download each episode after the first one. Or at least download whatever they couldn't get on disk 2 for launch.
I thought the same.

Would be cool if the have held something new back for spartan ops. Like in episode 10 we suddenly get a new class of promethean, or the Didact has combat A.i. And makes a cameo.

GhaleonEB

Sound like my run-ins with Valhalla in Halo 3.

You're nuts, given how relatively short the BR range was. Center was not getting shot at by both peremeters and the bases at the same time. You could not pin guys in the archway above their base by staying on the far side of the clearing. The DMR range is over 2x the Halo 3 BR.

I really enjoyed halo 2 from start to finish of its life cycle. I'm not trying to deny that it didn't have problems, but it was a lot of fun. I think my biggest issue was the super bouncing. I couldn't stand having to deal with people on parts of map they shouldn't be able to get to like Zanzibar and Burial Mounds.

BigShow36

The thing with Halo 2 was that even with all the glitches and cheaters it was still fun, the gameplay flowed, and the maps played beautifully. The reason everyone licks Halo 2s nuts is because barring the glitches it WAS perfection. Assumably the remake would fix these problems and thus it would be a non issue.

You mean aside from the noobified gameplay?

Pop

Been playing some Blops 2 lately. I've noticed in the Skill rank playlist(League) in Blops 2, you do not JIP in matches. I really hope 343i doesn't screw up rank playlist, cause I've been looking forward to Halo having skill ranks again.

Also, Blops 2 seems to be smoother in terms of gameplay, recently the past two days on H4 been nothing but lag for me.Not really lag were people are teleporting but more of like my shots aren't registering. JIP is also pissing me off especially when you join in on a 4-0 CTF game. :/

broony

I have no big complaints about the environment reuse. It's the missions and enemies that it falls flat on.

Maybe when playing by yourself or with randoms but as soon as I'm in a group who are talking, laughing and dieing it's been so much fun.

My dad won't play mp so our weekly sessions in the past are redoing campaign missions. Now it's fresh every week. We might not play through each episode more than once or twice but it's new every week. You don't know if a drop ship will appear half way through an encounter or promethean will spawn in.

Makes for lots of panicked firefights.

zlatko

Banned
LOL @ a Halo 2 MP remake. Won't happen.

I'll bet a left nut you get your Halo 2 Anni, and just some Halo 2 maps for Halo 4 like CE Anni did for Reach.

Makes the most sense too when you think about it, since they plan to push out all this season pass DLC maps super fast in the first quarter of the year, and then can drop the H2 maps towards Q3/Q4 of next year.

Trey

You're nuts, given how relatively short the BR range was. Center was not getting shot at by both peremeters and the bases at the same time. You could not pin guys in the archway above their base by staying on the far side of the clearing. The DMR range is over 2x the Halo 3 BR.

I like that. I never much cared for being able to see someone, and not being able to engage them in any capacity. The only movement significantly barred because of the DMR's range is the middle of the map and turret side, and that's because those areas are wide open clearings.

You don't know if a drop ship will appear half way through an encounter or promethean will spawn in.
True. But you do know that every time you hit a switch you have to be prepared for a new horde to spawn in. Every damn button in this game is a call for reinforcements.

BigShow36

If Halo 2 was 'noobified' then I can only imagine the hate you have for Halo 3/Reach/4.

I'm certainly not happy with them. But they aren't a far cry from Halo 2 by any stretch of the imagination. The downgrade in gameplay from CE to Halo 2 is far greater than the difference between Halo 2 to 3 to Reach to 4 combined.

Seance

Banned
Why do the spartans fight in the same way as marines? I want to see some jumping, strafing and no scoping in the SpOps cinematics.

And out of all the Halo engines, I feel like 2 was the best one, providing the best acrobatics and requiring actual skill to get kills. Halo 3 made it more about whatever weapon you were holding instead of skill.

tumblr_m1icomdf8l1qfxq1qo1_250.gif

broony

True. But you do know that every time you hit a switch you have to be prepared for a new horde to spawn in. Every damn button in this game is a call for reinforcements.
Yeah that's totally valid. You wait every time to flick the switch until everyone is tooled up and watching the exits.

Ken

Why do the spartans fight in the same way as marines? I want to see some jumping, strafing and no scoping in the SpOps cinematics.

I don't get why the SpOp episodes are so...boring. You get to see the interior of the ship and uh...red rocks that you see in game as well. Seems like a wasted opportunity to show off more interesting locations that might never be playable for whatever reason. I guess they're saying that for later though...hopefully.

Karl2177

So the DMR is an issue? Should have gone with my sandbox, eh?

OT: just passed mile marker 117 on my way to Minneapolis. Getting super excited for my flights tomorrow.

haha I'm standing by my statement. Halo 2 gameplay was tight as hell. Most evident on small maps like Lockout or Midship.

And I really enjoyed lots of the glitches, specifically the ones that allowed you to explore outside of the map - whether that's getting outside of an invisible wall, or using superbounce or rocket launcer/sword lunging etc.

Did not enjoy standby.

Dual-wielding SMG nostalgia

we've seen it all, ya'll

Dual-wielding SMG nostalgia

we've seen it all, ya'll
SMG starts weren't the greatest, but it's not like you were stuck with them. All you had to do was find a pistol, plasma rifle, or BR. Problem solved. And the sniper rifle and rockets were also available. Exaggerated Halo 2 problems aren't any better than overblown Halo 2 nostalgia.

Top Bottom