• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

FyreWulff

Well consider my mind changed!

Also, if you're a developer you can set the price for your game or DLC (with very few guidelines) to whatever you want, and change it for sales whenever you want.

It'll be interesting to see if this will actually make MS stop charging $30,000 or so for each patch.

The only thing like before is that they'll still cert your patches and DLC so it's not instant like Steam, where you can deploy updates to your game whenever without having to send them through Valve.

So yeah.. Nintendo coming in hard on letting developers support their games post-release.

Ok if any Halogaffers got a WII U and have it set up feel free to add me. My ID is PsychoRaven. LOL

Now I can go to bed. lol

I'll add you once I can, probably next month

Yes.

Also the only console that won't be charging developers for patches or for submitting DLC.

They are releasing a console to compete with the Xbox/PS3 7 years into the life cycle, on the eve of MS's new console. Seems incredibly stupid. It's going to be irrelevant for anything not Zelda/Mario/whatever Retro is doing in a year.

Doubtless the infrastructure for the new Xbox/developers is going to change, as the new Xbox will surely be NT kernel based. I don't expect $30,000 for a patch on the new box.

FyreWulff

They are releasing a console to compete with the Xbox/PS3 7 years into the life cycle, on the eve of MS's new console. Seems incredibly stupid. It's going to be irrelevant for anything not Zelda/Mario/whatever Retro is doing in a year.

Doubtless the infrastructure for the new Xbox/developers is going to change, as the new Xbox will surely be NT kernel based. I don't expect $30,000 for a patch on the new box.

The Wii U is notably more powerful than either the 360 or PS3. As a developer, it gun b k. Also, the original Xbox and the Xbox 360 are based off the NT kernel already..

I don't think the Wii U has awful hardware, but notably more powerful?

It's not Nintendo's version of the 360 or the PS3. I'll just leave it at that.

The Wii U is notably more powerful than either the 360 or PS3. As a developer, it gun b k

I doubt that personally, I've read nothing that states it's much more powerful, just a bit. Even if it is, not much of a win, the 360 is fucking ancient. I see no reason why Xbox Live and it's online games once again won't be the clearly dominant console online service in a few years.

Edit: The kernel for Windows 8 and WP8. Considering they've developed that in the past few years, the Xbox's are surely not based on that. Point is, developers are not paying for patches on Windows 8 store or WP8 store that will surely share infrastructure with the new box, so don't expect paying for patches and such on the new box.

FyreWulff

I doubt that personally, I've read nothing that states it's much more powerful, just a bit. Even if it is, not much of a win, the 360 is fucking ancient. I see no reason why Xbox Live and it's online games once again won't be the clearly dominant console online service in a few years.

Well we all know the 720 is going to be a big jump. Just don't be surprised if it's priced to match.

As it stands, it's the only console that's able to do full 720p in full HDR. Bungie could reinstate their original full lighting range from Halo 3 without having to drop to 640p.

Also, I finished an Infection variant of Longbow, called Snow Chance. Turns out Longbow actually has a Doors, Windows and Walls category. Doesn't trigger any lighting though so I guess that's a feature determined on a map by map basis.

Well we all know the 720 is going to be a big jump. Just don't be surprised if it's priced to match.

As it stands, it's the only console that's able to do full 720p in full HDR. Bungie could reinstate their original full lighting range from Halo 3 without having to drop to 640p.

I have no doubts about that, I'm sure it'll be expensive.

Yes, the Wii U could do that right now, but it's not impressive that hardware coming out now is better than 7 year old hardware. It's an odd in-between generation of hardware that may have worked if it was released a few years ago. Nintendo hasn't had good third-party support since the N64, and I fail to see how this way too late console that will be hardware irrelevant in a year will change that. Nintendo's first-party games will continue to be awesome of course, but who knows when we'll see Zelda or 3D Mario on the Wii U.

Depending on how hard Platinum swings into it, the Wii U might be the only console I get next gen. Unless another game with a Souls type phenomenon happens exclusively on PS4 or Xbox 3, I don't see myself much caring for either of those. My mentality going into this gen was: "PS3 has MGS4, I need it for that and whatever else falls into it is fine by me" and I was the same with the 360 and Halo. I've gone from rock hard boner to impotent on both series through this gen so that's not happenin' again.

I didn't use the Wii much, but honestly my only big complaint about it was it limited with component. I don't even use TVs anymore, so having support for HDMI (including an expanded colour range in the OS) would've been swell.

heckfu

Banned
Microsoft owns it 100%. It's a good thing they only ever used the ownership of the IP to make a remake though.

joke-went-over-your-head.gif

def sim

It's not Nintendo's version of the 360 or the PS3. I'll just leave it at that.

Well, that's vague but I'll take your (confusing) word for it. Having one gig of ram dedicated to system should bring some interesting OS features moving forward and the newer AMD GPU cannot be worse than 2004 tech. Next year, I won't be surprised if Nintendo's first party offerings finally clear up the misconceptions, but I expect the Wii U to keep up more at an OS level. Multitasking apps, streaming features, and a better sense of inter-connectivity is what will probably keep it relevant in the long haul.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
My idea: Get rid of the banshee. Remove the guns from the warthog, so that it is used only as a transport for ctf a la Halo1. Get rid of the tank and wraith. Get rid of ghosts. Get rid of choppers. In fact, just get rid of all vehicles. Problem solved! Vehicles are stupid, and the onslaught of vehicles being thrown into the game is slowly removing the focus of Halo being a first person shooter. I'd rather 343 scrap vehicles and focus on making a ton of multiplayer maps built around non-vehicle combat.

Maybe 343 can create a separate game for all the vehicle junkies out there called "Twisted Halo." What a perfect and fitting name for a halo game that has completely lost its identity.

pakkit

Banned
I'm really really enjoying this game's multiplayer. I actually enjoy ordnances. And the Armor Abilities seem pretty well balanced; I'm having fun with all of the abilities I've tried, and I've had success adapting to certain enemy teams and changing up my loadout/playstyle to counter.

This game doesn't seem nearly as frustrating as Reach was, so props 343. There is a lot of room to improve and refine, but this game has successfully brought me along for another round.

Can you still board the tank from the front? I was playing big team today and the option never appeared for me any time I came at a tank from the front. I am literally running into the tank while it is backed along a wall and I still can not board it unless I move to the side of it or behind it

Tashi

I've come to accept that Metroid is not for me. I tried Super and I tried Prime but I just couldn't do it. I hate not knowing where to go in games. Especially these days.

Ramirez

Wahhhh its linear wahhhhh

Don't care, game's great.

Yea, because Metroid is all about linearity! Zero Mission takes a colossal dump on Fusion.

I've come to accept that Metroid is not for me. I tried Super and I tried Prime but I just couldn't do it. I hate not knowing where to go in games. Especially these days.

Son, I am disappoint. What's not to love about being placed into a huge world, and exploring it?

h1BSn.gif

Baby's first Metroid.
Nothing beats the perfectness of Super Metroid.

Super Metroid > Metroid Prime. But I still love Metroid Prime. I am going to spend my night with that game today. Those visor effects. *drool* And yes, I wished Halo 4 would have had tons of those effects.

Edit.: If Fusions weren't that linear, I would say it is damn good. But still I shit into my pants when SA-X appeared out of nowhere. haha.

Ramirez

Also, the more I play Haven (which is about every match), the more I dislike it. There's really not many interesting sight lines, as most fights revolved around people poking there head above the ramps or sitting in the top mid platforms with just their heads visible behind the pillars, meh. Instant respawns don't help, as it's pretty much impossible to find any safe haven on the map...

Tashi

Yea, because Metroid is all about linearity! Zero Mission takes a colossal dump on Fusion.

Son, I am disappoint. What's not to love about being placed into a huge world, and exploring it?

Wandering for hours with no sense of progression is frustrating as fuck to me.

Top Bottom