• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Ramirez

When are they going to buff the Carbine out of the dumpster?

How far did you get into the game Tashi? The game doesn't really get confusing to navigate until about halfway through the game, up until that point it feels pretty quick & streamlined. *shrug*

Wandering for hours with no sense of progression is frustrating as fuck to me.
huh? You have to explore. I always giggled like a girl when I had found a Energy/Missiles tank. Damn. I have to find the map I drew of Super Metroids world, so I won't get lost. haha. I have to start speedrunning that game. (I am talking about Super Metroid)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
When are they going to buff the Carbine out of the dumpster?

How far did you get into the game Tashi? The game doesn't really get confusing to navigate until about halfway through the game, up until that point it feels pretty quick & streamlined. *shrug*

Definitely not far. Like 5-6 hours or some shit.

huh? You have to explore. I always giggled like a girl when I had found a Energy/Missiles tank. Damn. I have to find the map I drew of Super Metroids world, so I won't get lost. haha. I have to start speedrunning that game. (I am talking about Super Metroid)

See! You made a map so you wouldn't get lost lol. I'm sure if I played it as a kid, I could handle it.

Nothing beats the perfectness of Super Metroid.
Super Metroid's controls feel clunky and the Samus feels too floaty compared to Zero Mission. Game is great, but not perfect.

And Metroid Prime 2 is the elite Metroid game. Takes all the concepts introduced in Prime 1 and cranks it up to 11. The entire trilogy is amazing, yes even Corruption.

AllGoodInMyHood

Neo Member
am I the only one curious about the "all-of-a-sudden" turns of events in MP? You rape the oposite team 400-210 and then total bs happens a lot. I dunno what to think about this... hidden let's-help-scrubs code implementation?

Somehow I've managed to never pick up a skinned weapon. Don't know how common they're supposed to be.

You're supposed to be able to pick up skinned weapons, right?

You can indeed. They're implemented similar to the Golf Club in Halo 3/Reach, different weapons. There is one per specialization, some exclusive with retailers, and the LR skin is for the LE Console. I've got AR, BR and Carbine skins.

That's a lot of damn skins.

Iv got

Arctic BR
UNSC AR (prime)
Imprint Light Rifle

Corbulo Emblem
Prime Emblem
Unicorn Emblem
Falcon Emblem
Bulletproof Emblem
Spartan Emblem
Mjolnir Emblem

Recruit Prime Armor
Fotus Armor
Oceanic Circuit Armor
C.I.O Web Armor

Iv done fairly well considering i havnt activly went out to Ebuy any of the stuff (except a mjolnir emblem for £1)

Console
Warhead Headset
UNSC Controller
2 Copies of the LE (bought one for a friend)
12 month + 1 Month Halo 4 XBL gold

Id like the rest of the skins but i doubt ill get them without spending a fair bit of money.

Does anyone have any file shares/gamertags with good map remakes in. Heard nilla has a few but cant see them in his file share.

Corruption was trash Barrow, the only good things about that game were Rundas' battle theme & Skytown. Retro focused way too much on combat, which was never MP's strong point. Nintendo probably forced them to because of the pointer controls, meh.
Corruption isn't a great Metroid game, but it's still a great game. It's like the Reach of Metroid games. And I love the pointer controls. My Gamecube versions of 1 and 2 rest in the drawer as fond memories now that I have the Trilogy disc.

Thermite

When Halo 4 came out I said it was better than the dog shit that is Reach. I was wrong. Halo 4 is worse. Congratulations on completely ruining Halo, 343.

Halo 4 fucking SUCKS.

yep, poppin reach back into the 360 more and more every day.

Halo 4 has its problems, but liking Reach more? I just...I....

9119da3af782eb093614eopzb8.gif

Also, the more I play Haven (which is about every match), the more I dislike it. There's really not many interesting sight lines, as most fights revolved around people poking there head above the ramps or sitting in the top mid platforms with just their heads visible behind the pillars, meh. Instant respawns don't help, as it's pretty much impossible to find any safe haven on the map...

I think the thing is, Haven is the only decent sized map in the game, despite the geometry not being all that great I think it gets voted a lot because the other options are generally so large you need to sprint anywhere to get into battle. I think Adrift is another map with a terrible layout, but because it isnt so large it gets voted a lot.

I am trying to completely stop using sprint. If I see someone and I am in sprint the delay between going from sprint to being able to shoot gets me killed. The problem is the maps are so large you really cant traverse them without sprinting.

So now I have to choose between travelling around fast or being effective in gun battles.

It would have been much better if the maps where small enough that the default movement was enough to traverse them. Sprint and jetpack are really ruining Halo maps for me.

yep, poppin reach back into the 360 more and more every day.

Halo 4 is so much better than Reach, to be honest if I didnt enjoy Halo 4 as much as I currently am (despite its problems) I would probably just give up on the franchise rather than go play Reach.

EDIT: Quick question, does the Drop Recon armour mod unlocked by specializing as an Engineer affect global ordnance and personal ordnance? It would be useful to know the location and time of an ordnance as and when people on the other team call them in.

rakka

Halo 4 is so much better than Reach, to be honest if I didnt enjoy Halo 4 as much as I currently am (despite its problems) I would probably just give up on the franchise rather than go play reach

if by better you mean ordnance drops, abundance of power weapons, instant respawn, lack of need for map control, broken JIP mechanism, and a lot more, then yes maybe it's better. lol.

not to mention they fucked over splitscreen users in many ways. shitty framerate on many maps, unreadable killfeed and scoreboard, lack of killcam even though fullscreen players get them, etc

if by better you mean ordnance drops, abundance of power weapons, instant respawn, lack of need for map control, broken JIP mechanism, and a lot more, then yes maybe it's better. lol.

not to mention they fucked over splitscreen users in many ways. shitty framerate on many maps, unreadable killfeed and scoreboard, lack of killcam even though fullscreen players get them, etc

The new problems that Halo 4 has suck, but that doesn't suddenly excuse all the problems Reach has as a game.

If I thought Halo 4 was terrible I wouldn't suddenly start thinking Reach was a good game. For all I know you liked Reach in the past? If so fair enough, but personally I would never be able to go back to it. Would rather leapfrog it and go play Halo 3. Population and netcode means that I would probably just give up on Halo altogether.

That said it does suck that splitscreen is giving you problems, I think 343 prioritised graphics over gameplay and it really hurts the game. All the reviewers who where wowed by the graphics have all probably stopped playing already so its people like you who split screen who are left with a crappy experience.

def sim

Deliver with things like a good UI, skill ranks out of the box, spectator mode, etc.

Except lag compensation. Literally the stupidest idea ever.

Ah okay

It is a little disconcerting that a shooter that emulated Halo's party system and theatre mode has surpassed it feature wise. I don't agree that the UI is better though. It's tacky and all over the place.

Arnie

I think, whilst Reach had it's fair share of problems, Halo 4's go way deeper and are far more ominous for the franchise as a whole. Movement speed and jump height can be altered, bloom can be removed; ordnance, instant respawn, JIP, UI, emblems, lack of map control, weapon spawns, ability buffs, all show a clear direction which 343 views as the future of Halo, that repels against everything Halo once stood for.

My urge to play Halo 4 is probably less than my urge to play Reach was in its early days.

I think, whilst Reach had it's fair share of problems, Halo 4's go way deeper and are far more ominous for the franchise as a whole. Movement speed and jump height can be altered, bloom can be removed; ordnance, instant respawn, JIP, UI, emblems, lack of map control, weapon spawns, ability buffs, all show a clear direction which 343 views as the future of Halo, that repels against everything Halo once stood for.

My urge to play Halo 4 is probably less than my urge to play Reach was in its early days.

This I think I can relate to, Halo Reach at least had that common 'language' that other Halo games had, the gameplay was sub-par but I guess the framework was very familiar. I think this is why Halo 4 feels so different.

If there was a playlist with normal rules regarding spawning, no JIP, no ordnance, no load-outs etc, I think the base gameplay would shine. Right now slayer pro is the closest we have, which is a terrible attempt.

Arnie

This I think I can relate to, Halo Reach at least had that common 'language' that other Halo games had, the gameplay was sub-par but I guess the framework was very familiar. I think this is why Halo 4 feels so different.

If there was a playlist with normal rules regarding spawning, no JIP, no ordnance, no load-outs etc, I think the base gameplay would shine. Right now slayer pro is the closest we have, which is a terrible attempt.

Exactly.

With Reach, the reason for the experimentation was clear with the game being a side project of sorts, and the changes were grounded in the Spartan 3 fiction, and thus blatantly temporary and isolated to Reach specifically. It wasn't a great experience, but it also felt like a singular experience gone wrong.

Halo 4 is 343's vision of Halo for the next 10 years. It's the trajectory they wish the series to take. It's also a trajectory that runs contrary to what Halo's been in the past, and to what many fans loved about the game. Effective UI design and pretty medals might sound petty in the grand scheme of things, but they're just one reason why we've become so attached to Halo in the past. More seriously, design elements like instant respawn are almost as disastrous for the gameplay, in my opinion, and affect the flow as much as bloom ever did. Yet that's just one of literally five major changes that completely alter what we once believed Halo to be.

With Reach I always knew Halo would return, from a base gameplay perspective, what I didn't realise was 343 would change everything around the core gameplay to the point where it no longer feels like Halo regardless. Reach felt more like Halo to me, it really did.

def sim

Halo CE had two vehicle maps. It was never the focus.

You make a good point with the first sentence, two maps does not make it half of the multiplayer. Even if Blood Gulch and Sidewinder were very popular. "It was never the focus," though? All six Halo PC exclusive maps were large and vehicle oriented. You might argue that it wasn't made by Bungie, but Halo 2 happened and had a clear vehicular focus in BTB/clan matches. It remained the same moving forward. Halo has always been two sides: BTB and a more competitive, focused team slayer. A good amount of effort and confirmation bias is required to say the other half was never a big thing in Halo.

Exactly.

With Reach, the reason for the experimentation was clear with the game being a side project of sorts, and the changes were grounded in the Spartan 3 fiction, and thus blatantly temporary and isolated to Reach specifically. It wasn't a great experience, but it also felt like a singular experience gone wrong.

Halo 4 is 343's vision of Halo for the next 10 years. It's the trajectory they wish the series to take. It's also a trajectory that runs contrary to what Halo's been in the past, and to what many fans loved about the game. Effective UI design and pretty medals might sound petty in the grand scheme of things, but they're just one reason why we've become so attached to Halo in the past. More seriously, design elements like instant respawn are almost as disastrous for the gameplay, in my opinion, and affect the flow as much as bloom ever did. Yet that's just one of literally five major changes that completely alter what we once believed Halo to be.

With Reach I always knew Halo would return, from a base gameplay perspective, what I didn't realise was 343 would change everything around the core gameplay to the point where it no longer feels like Halo regardless. Reach felt more like Halo to me, it really did.

Yeah I totally agree man, all I can say is I hope 343 really have a long hard think on how the game was received. The problem is long time Halo fans are the last group of people they need to please.
1) Stakeholders
2) Reviewers
3) The general public

All come first and sadly have more power over how the game does than the long term fans do. Its a pretty sad feeling when a 10 year old franchise feels like its being designed with newcomers in mind, but I really dont think the Halo of old can ever exist unless a totally new company comes along and goes out of its way to try and recreate that magic. :(

I too thought Reach was a singular misstep, which is why the inclusion of AA's in Halo 4 really bummed me out. Halo 4 was a chance to shed the baggage, but instead it seems like it went out of its way to throw as much into the game as possible.

So yeah I think I feel the same way as you regarding the state of the franchise. I am not even just talking from a multiplayer point of view here. Even the newer fiction has been pretty disappointing to me, and its like rubbing salt into the wound when the newer fiction is included in the game and supersedes the older fiction. Halsey playing a bigger part in Halo games was something I would have been excited for but this new Halsey is just not something I care for.

That said I would still play Halo 4 over Reach any day of the week. I just hope there is a Halo 2 Anniversary with multiplayer.

That said I would still play Halo 4 over Reach any day of the week. I just hope there is a Halo 2 Anniversary with multiplayer.

Probably not going to happen, I would die if it did. Please attend my funeral in that case.

I'm loving H4's objective modes a lot, most fun I've had since H3 I guess, but the potential for H4 (on the whole) to be an incredible game is there, I wonder if 343 realise it?

Probably not going to happen, I would die if it did. Please attend my funeral in that case.

I'm loving H4's objective modes a lot, most fun I've had since H3 I guess, but the potential for H4 (on the whole) to be an incredible game is there, I wonder if 343 realise it?

Based on the marketing I would say we should expect something significant to come out to improve the game about a week before Halo 5 does.

rakka

The new problems that Halo 4 has suck, but that doesn't suddenly excuse all the problems Reach has as a game.

If I thought Halo 4 was terrible I wouldn't suddenly start thinking Reach was a good game. For all I know you liked Reach in the past? If so fair enough, but personally I would never be able to go back to it. Would rather leapfrog it and go play Halo 3. Population and netcode means that I would probably just give up on Halo altogether.

That said it does suck that splitscreen is giving you problems, I think 343 prioritised graphics over gameplay and it really hurts the game. All the reviewers who where wowed by the graphics have all probably stopped playing already so its people like you who split screen who are left with a crappy experience.

I have nothing but praise for the visuals though (aside from splitscreen issues). they are amazing, and in HD finally too.

but once the initial excitement wears off we're left with a game that is barely the halo that we know and love. I'm sure a lot of us including me are open to new ideas and change but the ones in halo 4 are mostly for the worse. seriously, instant respawn? randomized ordnance? lack of map control? killcams? etc.

sure was blown away at first but I'm pretty sure that was because 343 did give us a beautiful game

TheOddOne

Dan Ayoub will save us!

haloretro5.jpg

Striker

Feeling the opposite. Maybe it's also partial to the map combos but it's been fairly underwhelming. While it wasn't my most idealistic version, I miss the hell out of Reach's Assault right now. Add in 1-flag, 1-bomb, and Plots/Territories even were a good mix in variety. Now it's just basic 2-flag (where the best map for this is probably Adrift, and that's just because everything else hasn't been very fun for it), Oddball (Oddball), and KotH (same as usual). Dominion is a neat idea, but falls short due to the amount of power weapons a team can group up.

Top Bottom