• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Fracas

#fuckonami
It was dead, 343 revived them with their genious! Their redesigns of CTF KoTH and Oddball Tossing saved Halo!
I like the new KotH quite a bit, and the Oddball additions seem harmless.

I still am not a fan of CTF.
All jokes aside, I think CTF, King, and Oddball getting their own playlists is an unquestionably good decision.
CTF getting its own was a good decision, but I don't know about KotH and Oddball. I could easily see their populations dwindle over the next few weeks. Then again, who knows lol. Who'd have thought BTB would be the most populated playlist.

Any chance we can swap Flood for a 7v7 Extraction playlist and just dump Flood into a weekly rotation?

Once we get decent maps for it, give us Team Doubles, too.

EDIT: Nearly forgot to mention! So, I was playing 4's matchmaking today, and something fascinating happened. I hit the credit cap roughly 1000 XP away from SR-41, which not only gives me my 5th loadout, but gives me the Orbital helmet, which I desperately want (even though hopefully we get one without that stupid skull on the front later on). All this salt, man. It's in my wounds.

All jokes aside, I think CTF, King, and Oddball getting their own playlists is an unquestionably good decision.

I don't, I don't think the population will be healthy enough for all 3 and to sustain good MM.

I think a better solution would be to have 3 objective gametypes should be shown and you should vote for each one. Along with a random map picked from a pool of pre-determined maps it works for. Like an example would be:

CTF - Random CTF map.
KotH - Random map that works with KoTH.
Oddball - Random map that works with Oddball.

And that Bold never changes so next matchup would be the same with new maps. What this does is allow the majority of the players to play the objective they want to Usually while pooling all the players together into one playlist.

4v4. Fix the Respawn.

CyReN

I think they'll be fine as long at matchmaking stays in the 8-12 playlists range. If they bloom to 20+ permanent playlists Reach-style, then King and Oddball would probably be fucked.

What is going to happen with that though? My favorite playlist is Team Snipers, so is that going to get replaced by another playlist. Seems like the new (but old) playlist are in a "Russian Roulette" carousel at the moment as they try and force new things onto you. I'm all for new stuff but when it cuts Team Doubles/Grifball/Team Snipers there's something seriously wrong.

When we asked for lower playlist, not at the cost of hurting the fan favorites.

N64 is a problem when you tell people it sucked because these days most people are young who you have this discussion with.

Anyone who lived through N64 from launch to end knows that game had the WORST droughts in terms of good games. It's easy to look back and say "it had GREAT games", yeah, it did, but the wait for them was fucking brutal.
I was alive and old enough for the N64 era and didn't mind it so much. The jump from 2 controller ports on a console to 4 was mind blowing. It made multiplayer games so freaking awesome. Mario Kart and Goldeneye, alone, kept me and my friends busy for the duration of its life cycle. But then we were also treated to the likes of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, which I played over and over again. And once Smash Brothers hit, that game took over everything else. Best multiplayer game of that decade imo. Simply incredible multiplayer, and I still love it more than any of the subsequent iterations. I usually only get a console for 3-4 games tops. N64 delivered without question. I somehow didn't get into Perfect Dark and didn't really care for Diddy Kong Racing.

I don't, I don't think the population will be healthy enough for all 3 and to sustain good MM.

I think a better solution would be to have 3 objective gametypes should be shown and you should vote for each one. Along with a random map picked from a pool of pre-determined maps it works for. Like an example would be:

CTF - Random CTF map.

And that Bold never changes so next matchup would be the same with new maps. What this does is allow the majority of the players to play the objective they want to Usually while pooling all the players together into one playlist.

4v4. Fix the Respawn.

Agreed. This would keep the map rotation better catered to each gametype, but still keep the variety of the maps themselves.

Also, what happened to asymmetrical objective gametypes? I don't want this to turn into a lament of assault, but really... why can't we have 1 sided CTF on a map like Abandon?

What is going to happen with that though? My favorite playlist is Team Snipers, so is that going to get replaced by another playlist. Seems like the new (but old) playlist are in a "Russian Roulette" carousel at the moment as they try and force new things onto you. I'm all for new stuff but when it cuts Team Doubles/Grifball/Team Snipers there's something seriously wrong.

Big Team Objective...

CyReN

Agreed. This would keep the map rotation better catered to each gametype, but still keep the variety of the maps themselves.

Also, what happened to asymmetrical objective gametypes? I don't want this to turn into a lament of assault, but really... why can't we have 1 sided CTF on a map like Abandon?

Big Team Objective...

It's in the playlist right, it's called BTB Ragnarok CTF;)

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I was alive and old enough for the N64 era and didn't mind it so much. The jump from 2 controller ports on a console to 4 was mind blowing. It made multiplayer games so freaking awesome. Mario Kart and Goldeneye, alone, kept me and my friends busy for the duration of its life cycle. But then we were also treated to the likes of Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, which I played over and over again. And once Smash Brothers hit, that game took over everything else. Best multiplayer game of that decade imo. Simply incredible multiplayer, and I still love it more than any of the subsequent iterations. I usually only get a console for 3-4 games tops. N64 delivered without question. I somehow didn't get into Perfect Dark and didn't really care for Diddy Kong Racing.

It's a good thing you liked playing games over and over again! (because you didn't have a choice)

Also, the lack of Jet Force Gemini here is a crime.

What is going to happen with that though? My favorite playlist is Team Snipers, so is that going to get replaced by another playlist. Seems like playlist are in a "Russian roulette" carousel at the moment as they try and force new things onto you. I'm all for new stuff but when it cuts Team Doubles/Grifball/Team Snipers there's something seriously wrong.

I'm not so sure about Grifball. I think it has a place, but as a Double XP Weekend sort of playlist, even if they did give it full-fledged gametype status. Doubles sure, and Snipers maybe. I say when we get ranks, do a split similar to this:

RANKED (No JiP)
Slayer Pro
CTF Pro (just classic CTF, not "barebones")
Team Snipers
Team SWAT
Team Doubles

Note that these are all 4v4 save for Team Doubles and attempting to adhere to "classic" Halo.
Team Slayer would be removed, replaced by Slayer Pro. No Global Ordnance.

SOCIAL (JiP)
Infinity Slayer
Big Team Infinity
Team Objective (King of the Hill / Oddball)
Big Team Objective (Dominion / Extraction)
Multi Team

DOUBLE XP (Unranked; all playlists are in a weekly rotation that can be modified. No Join in Progress to avoid "wasting" Double XP matches by joining in late or anything.)
Flood
Grifball
Race
More to be added in the future

This would result in a total of 11 playlists, 5 ranked, 5 unranked. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything.

I think SWAT will become permanent at some point, it's just too damn popular. I assume Snipers will always be rotational.

I may be in the minority here, but this is what I asked for. Small set of playlists centered around the core gametypes and default set of rules. No matter how awesome Snipers is, it's still by definition (at least my definition) a fringe gametype, and rotational playlists are a good solution for that.

Playlist stuff

Based on what I read about the Waypoint rankings, they seem designed to not have a ranked and social split, and they said the plan was that ranks would apply to all playlists. Unless something significantly changes in the minds of 343, we aren't going to see a ranked and social split, nor ranks being displayed in-game.

ZalinKrow

Also, the lack of Jet Force Gemini here is a crime.

Awh man, Jet Force Gemini was sooo good. Music was phenomenal too. I never did beat it though :/ You had to do so much to get to the last area.

In Halo related news, finished Wetwork, chose Tracker next purely cause I liked the helmet and none of my friends had gone Tracker yet. I think I'll regret it, but oh well! lol

CyReN

I just don't get the logic though, if you put SO MUCH BANDWIDTH towards something it gets a list. That's why I picked Grifball. Think of it like having a rank system but not having a number show up in game. It doesn't make sense.

Good list btw, I'd add a Team hardcore playlist but it will probably be MLG and we repeat the great circle of life again, I can only say so much:/

Tawpgun

I had no issues with no radar in the other Halo's. But with the lack of red X's, easy to see damage and firing indicators, I find myself terribly lost. I want slayer pro, but with radar.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I had no issues with no radar in the other Halo's. But with the lack of red X's, easy to see damage and firing indicators, I find myself terribly lost. I want slayer pro, but with radar.

Eww, the lack of radar is the best thing about Slayer Pro

I just don't get the logic though, if you put SO MUCH BANDWIDTH towards something it gets a list. That's why I picked Grifball. Think of it like having a rank system but not having a number show up in game. It doesn't make sense.

Good list btw, I'd add a Team hardcore playlist but it will probably be MLG and we repeat the great circle of life again, I can only say so much:/

I think the idea stems from the fast that the majority of players do not want ranks, or at the very least don't care at all about them, so in order to provide a singular matchmaking experience with as few playlists as realistically possible, and at the same time, give the minority of players that want ranks the option to have them.

N64 never felt like a drought to me. Having 3 siblings who would play on the reg with me made it an amazing and fulfilling console.

There definitely were droughts and it didn't have the most well rounded library. I don't think it had a single above average RPG. Not saying it didn't have some awesome games though. Starfox 64, Goldeneye, Banjo, SM64, Perfect Dark.

I mean, with how I consumed games at that time I wouldn't say the N64 had a drought. You'd always have one game that came out that you could just play the everloving fuck out of. Granted my view might be skewed as I also had a PS1 and gaming PC at the time, though I only really used the PS1 for FF and MGS in retrospect.

Tashi

Anyone else noticed how tucked away Specializations are? I hit 50 today and was totally waiting for some prompt to pop up on my screen and say, "Congratulations on hitting level 50. Here are the specializations, this is what they do, pick one!" There was nothing. Really weird.

harmonize

Lol, I just noticed that out of all the big team games I've played, I've yet to actually have a match on Vortex.

But I've had enough on Ragnarok to last me several lifetimes, per the method of reincarnation.

CyReN

I think the idea stems from the fast that the majority of players do not want ranks, or at the very least don't care at all about them, so in order to provide a singular matchmaking experience with as few playlists as realistically possible, and at the same time, give the minority of players that want ranks the option to have them.

Where is the no ranks not wanted coming from though? Halo 2/Halo 3 are highly popular titles with it and Reach died off slowly, and Halo 4 has 180,672 at this current time.

I'm thankful for ranks btw, but if you think hiding it online is stop selling you are crazy. You just made it easier to show and sell online.

Anyone else noticed how tucked away Specializations are? I hit 50 today and was totally waiting for some prompt to pop up on my screen and say, "Congratulations on hitting level 50. Here are the specializations, this is what they do, pick one!" There was nothing. Really weird.

Took me awhile too, I don't know why it's listed where it is.

Where is the no ranks not wanted coming from though? Halo 2/Halo 3 are highly popular titles with it and Reach died off slowly, and Halo 4 has 180,672 at this current time.

I'm thankful for ranks btw, but if you think hiding it online is stop selling you are crazy. You just made it easier to show and sell online.

Took me awhile too, I don't know why it's listed where it is.

who cares about ranks. i rather them add ffa and a better classic playlist.

Tashi

The more I think about it and the more time goes on, the more I respect Arena in Halo Reach. They had the right idea man. The problem was everything surrounding that idea was no good. Just think about if Arena was done properly and was successful in Reach. We would probably have a similar system put into place in Halo 4 and probably a more robust one rivaling StarCraft 2.

Tunavi

Banned
The more I think about it and the more time goes on, the more I respect Arena in Halo Reach. They had the right idea man. The problem was everything surrounding that idea was no good. Just think about if Arena was done properly and was successful in Reach. We would probably have a similar system put into place in Halo 4 and probably a more robust one rivaling StarCraft 2.
the problem was that reach was not a competitive game

Fury Sense

Hey all. Is there a way to share my screenshots and videos online? I took a photograph of my TV earlier today and feel like an idiot.

Korosenai

Things I don't like about halo 4: boltshot, 3x zoom DMR, camo, Promethean vision.

The one thing I absolutely love: Trueskill. So many close games and intense matches.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Hey all. Is there a way to share my screenshots and videos online? I took a photograph of my TV earlier today and feel like an idiot.
greatestlaughofalltimuzq7d.gif

good stuff

Omni

Lol, I just noticed that out of all the big team games I've played, I've yet to actually have a match on Vortex.

But I've had enough on Ragnarok to last me several lifetimes, per the method of reincarnation.

Vortex sucks balls. So, so, so bad.

Agreed. If I want to play CTF, I want to play CTF. If anything, change the CTF playlist itself by having voting options like:

• One Flag
  • Multi Flag
  • Neutral Flag

Then you vote for maps. Again, Gears does it fine and I think Halo could benefit from this. Also, a tie should go to a random choice, not the first choice like Reach (343 acknowledged the problem with this but still made it like that for Halo 4).

But would they even be able to make a change like this without a major Title Update?

The question is can they sustain population for three separate playlists?

I don't think it'll be a problem, instead think of it as one step closer to a Custom Game/MM hybrid ;] - All the major gametypes should have its own playlist with the aforementioned voting system.

CTF - Random CTF map.

I wouldn't mind this either as long as a tie goes to a random choice and not the first.

Top Bottom