• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

daedalius

I think the BR is more fun to fire, but the DMR is clearly superior :(

It most assuredly is for me as well, but there is a point where you are losing duels by a hair to DMR users... where you just know if the BR fired as fast as the DMR, you likely would have won.

J10

Banned
Played several games with the DMR tonight, and I am sad to say I think it is just a functionally superior weapon to the BR at this point (and most assuredly to the lightrifle, the hip fire on that gun is just awful).

This makes me really sad, because I really like the BR better :(

It simply seems to fire faster, and I guess I just feel more comfortable using it.

Also Regicide is fun :p

I wonder if the perceived advantage I feel I have with the DMR over the BR isn't purely psychological. The BR being a burst fire weapon makes it feel and sound slower to me. But I still lose to it at close and medium range sometimes.

daedalius

I wonder if the perceived advantage I feel I have with the DMR over the BR isn't purely psychological. The BR being a burst fire weapon makes it feel and sound slower to me. But I still lose to it at close and medium range sometimes.

I am fairly certain it isn't just a perceived advantage when just about everyone confirms it.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
It most assuredly is for me as well, but there is a point where you are losing duels by a hair to DMR users... where you just know if the BR fired as fast as the DMR, you likely would have won.

The issue I have here is when I know I get a kill because I was using a BR though. For instance I shoot someone who has shields assuming they still die from that one shot where with a dmr I would have just dropped their shields. I wish the BR was just a LITTLE better though.

kylej

Banned
why is Halo waypoint such a monumental piece of shit. it's like a giant fetid log is slapping me in the forehead every time I try to load it

daedalius

The issue I have here is when I know I get a kill because I was using a BR though. For instance I shoot someone who has shields assuming they still die from that one shot where with a dmr I would have just dropped their shields. I wish the BR was just a LITTLE better though.

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure the DMR has bleedthrough.

Also I never really find this messes me up, if it even is there.

I don't want the DMR to be nerfed; I'd much rather see the other rifles buffed to be on its level. As of right now, I think the DMR is just head and shoulders above the rest, about 90% of the time.

I really can't find an instance where the BR is functionally better than the BR, because it certainly doesn't seem to be any stronger or weaker at mid-range in my estimation.

Aberrant

I've sort of come to the realization that this game just isn't that fun for me, and the only reason I'm playing is because my friends are, and so I can level up and shit.

Damn. Ugh.

Give this man a drink! This is exactly the way I feel.

First post and all, but let me just say that I think Halo Reach was the worst halo of the whole series and Halo 2 was the pinnacle. However last night me and a couple friends on live decided to put our Reach discs in due to the multiplayer of Halo 4 missing the greatness of previous installments. What I found I couldn't believe, Halo 4 is worse then Reach. Yes, I said it. WORSE THEN REACH!!!!!!!

WOW!!!

First up the UI. The Halo 4 UI is utter garbage and is just a headache to browse around in. Multiplayer UI in 4 is an abomination and I cant believe it actually got passed. The UI of previous Halos WAS HALO! As soon as you saw that multiplayer screen with the names on the side and the tips cycling through it was pleasant on the eyes and you could see all the information you needed on screen quickly! What the fuck drugs were you on 343i to give us this shitty UI?

Next up, Spartan Ops....... WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? I have played through all episodes of Spartan ops apart from the last 2 of episode 3. Its boring, lifeless and so safe. I have stepped through the same areas through the campaign multiple times. Can you answer me one question about Spartan Ops. Of the areas we are repeating multiple times throughout Spartan Ops so far are they the same areas story wise or are we meant to be thinking that these areas are different places entirely in terms of story? Also playing through the first Spartan Ops episode on Ragnarok last night when you protect the guys near the downed pelican and the menu music played over everybody who was playing game (Not the good menu music either with the girl singing). It didn't suit the mood of the level (if it wasn't a glitch) and just seems so CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP!

Seriously, the most expensive game Microsoft has made (I believe, I may be wrong) feels cheap. Way to go 343i!

I purchased the 2000mspoints Season Pass (Map pack/whatever) and I feel I have been screwed. Congrats 343i you have stolen my money this time but next time you wont be so lucky.

If anyone wants me I'll be playing Reach, which is shit, but is still the superior game to the shit that is Halo 4.

TTG

Hello Halo gaf, I come to you with a simple(if not easy) question:

Looking at the single player campaign alone, is Halo 4 worth buying an xbox360 for?

To give you some context, my original 360 exploded shortly after Reach and I've had no reason to purchase another one. All of my gaming is now on the ps3, but that's neither here nor there. Here's how I would answer the same question about the previous titles in the series:

Halo: CE - absolutely yes
Halo 3 - borderline, probably yes
Halo Reach - too stale and they played it safe, no
Halo 2 - no
ODST - nice, but no

So, there it is. What do you guys think? Again, not interested in the multiplayer.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So, there it is. What do you guys think? Again, not interested in the multiplayer.
No and I'm saying that as person who has played through the Campaign twice on Legendary. The art design is gorgeous, the cutscenes are an enjoyable watch but the firefights are repetitive, safe.

daedalius

Looking at the single player campaign alone, is Halo 4 worth buying an xbox360 for?

To give you some context, my original 360 exploded shortly after Reach and I've had no reason to purchase another one. All of my gaming is now on the ps3, but that's neither here nor there. Here's how I would answer the same question about the previous titles in the series:

Halo 2 - no
ODST - nice, but no

Definitely yes, really enjoyed the campaign on Legendary.

IHaveIce

Banned

Halo 2 - no
ODST - nice, but no

The art and cutscenes are amazing, but the encounters and overall story are bad without knowing the books and watching the terminals.

BUUUUT there is Spartan Ops, it is like a second mini campaign. Every week 5 new missions for 10 weeks

Aberrant

personal ordnances, Camo, jetpack, Promethean Vision, OP DMR, Complex, Regicide is horrible, lack of consistent weapon spawns, no death X's, bad UI for teammates taking fire/shooting, only 2 great 4v4 maps, double melee

+Vehicles
They are no longer useable because all it takes is for someone to spawn with a plasma pistol and then double sticky grenade and its bye bye. Has ruined a lot of fun in bigteam.

+Assault
The removal of this is stupid. Always a very fun gametype in previous Halos especially big team.

+Flag markers
When you pick up the flag you should not have an icon about your head. The other team need to be on the ball when it comes to that shit, the game shouldn't tell them. Ruins strategies and flow.

I feel I could go on and on but Tunavi has done a pretty good job with my additional complaints put in as well!

-No campaign theater, theater we do have is glitched (no announcements)
-Campaign is essentially going from one point to the next orange button with cutscenes in between. No exciting events take place.
-No dedi's, server issues, MM issues, starting games uneven, starting against no other team
-JIP works slow, sometimes doesn't work at all. No balance after the game. No incentive to actually stay in a lobby.
-No LOBBY.
-Not 60fps, of course with the old Xbox this wasnt expected. This game was at least supposed to run smooth or get a locked framerate, doesnt run smooth in campaign, in MM, even the UI doesn't really run smooth.
-No custom browsing.
-Playlists are a mess.
-Game has no small maps because; see next point.
-Sprint default.
-AA's with Sprint default now means players essentially have TWO abilities beyond what Halo started as (Hint: No special abilities - your skill defined your gameplay).
-Terrible sandbox balance, In order to balance them they made everything kill super fast, way too many one hitters on the map at once.
-Personal ordnance is random which leads to random results, might as well play rock paper scissors or a game of War.
-Global ordnance made the maps barren so you cant pick anything up, no ammo anywhere, global ordnance is also glitched and doesnt display proper weapons sometimes, respawn is always off a few seconds.
-Vehicles (nuff said)
-No ranked playlists - coming in 2013! Not at release lol, how was this overlooked?
-Glitches in campaign, spartan ops.
-Waypoint website is still terrible, random errors everywhere.
-Playlist management is still god awful, Hire fucking Juices.

Should I go on?

kylej

Banned

Axtvh.gif

MrDaravon

I can't believe that the Spartan Ops netcode is so fucking terrible. In the new episode right now, which I heard was good, and this shit is still totally unplayable online with 3 people. Sigh.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I don't think so, I'm pretty sure the DMR has bleedthrough.

Also I never really find this messes me up, if it even is there.

I don't want the DMR to be nerfed; I'd much rather see the other rifles buffed to be on its level. As of right now, I think the DMR is just head and shoulders above the rest, about 90% of the time.

I really can't find an instance where the BR is functionally better than the BR, because it certainly doesn't seem to be any stronger or weaker at mid-range in my estimation.

Almost certain DMR doesn't have bleedthrough, or it would be a 4 shot kill. The 4th shot pops shields, the 5th shot kills if it's a headshot (the way it stands now).

Aberrant

Why the fuck isn't the file browser stuff up yet?

Massive oversight. I used to love downloading random maps and jumping around on them and battling with friends on them, without knowing the layout. Now - NO FILES FOUND!

343i YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I can't believe that the Spartan Ops netcode is so fucking terrible. In the new episode right now, which I heard was good, and this shit is still totally unplayable online with 3 people. Sigh.
People keep saying it's like so much XP but uh.. I wouldn't know. From my few experiences with SpOps online, no fucking thanks if I have to suffer through that lag.

It is quite literally unplayable at times due to the input delay.

MrDaravon

People keep saying it's like so much XP but uh.. I wouldn't know. From my few experiences with SpOps online, no fucking thanks if I have to suffer through that lag.

Yup. I don't care if the story winds up being fucking amazing, I will not buy a Season 2 because this is pointless right now, they don't even balance it for single player.

kylej

Banned
-No campaign theater, theater we do have is glitched (no announcements)
-No dedi's, server issues, MM issues, starting games uneven, starting against no other team
-JIP works slow, sometimes doesn't work at all. No balance after the game. No incentive to actually stay in a lobby.
-No LOBBY.
-Not 60fps, of course with the old Xbox this wasnt expected. This game was at least supposed to run smooth or get a locked framerate, doesnt run smooth in campaign, in MM, even the UI doesn't really run smooth.
-No custom browsing.
-Playlists are a mess.
-Game has no small maps because; see next point.
-Sprint default.
-AA's with Sprint default now means players essentially have TWO abilities beyond what Halo started as (Hint: No special abilities - your skill defined your gameplay).
-Terrible sandbox balance, In order to balance them they made everything kill super fast, way too many one hitters on the map at once.
-Personal ordnance is random which leads to random results, might as well play rock paper scissors or a game of War.
-Global ordnance made the maps barren so you cant pick anything up, no ammo anywhere, global ordnance is also glitched and doesnt display proper weapons sometimes, respawn is always off a few seconds.
-Vehicles (nuff said)
-No ranked playlists - coming in 2013! Not at release lol, how was this overlooked?
-Glitches in campaign, spartan ops.
-Waypoint website is still terrible, random errors everywhere.
-Playlist management is still god awful, Hire fucking Juices.

Should I go on?

No customizable controls
Broken kill-cams
No ranking system
No fixed spawns
No classic CTF even in customs
No classic Oddball even in customs
No campaign scoring
No screenshot uploads
Camo/jetpack returned, both broken
X-Ray vision an armor ability
Audio mixing in campaign is awful

add your own everybody!!!!

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
No customizable controls
Broken kill-cams
No ranking system
No fixed spawns
No campaign scoring
No screenshot uploads

can't turn off instant respawns even in customs

how did both of you assholes miss this?

TTG

The art and cutscenes are amazing, but the encounters and overall story are bad without knowing the books and watching the terminals.

BUUUUT there is Spartan Ops, it is like a second mini campaign. Every week 5 new missions for 10 weeks

I've replayed the whole series at least twice. I've lost count of how many times I've replayed CE. At one point, loading up The Silent Cartographer was a way to unwind after a long day, something that would happen 3-5 times a week.

And yet, I really don't care about the Halo lore(and neither did Bungie for a while there, not really). So, I'm interested in the sandboxy drop in on a scarab from a Hornet stuff, the find a use for every weapon stuff, the come up with a new strategy after getting your ass kicked 5 times in a row on legendary stuff, the ballet of master chief vs 3 elites, striking just in time to finish one off before your shield drops stuff... well you know how it goes. I don't particularly care about Cortana or an amazing lens flare when we're talking about stuff that makes Halo Halo.

I never really got into coop campaign or coop firefight or coop spartan ops as they're all just too slow reacting. I just will not put up with that game experience personally, no reflection on the coop development hard work that goes into it. The state of online play has this at a disadvantage from the start due to Internet latency reasons. Although I do find it strange when I live a 25 minutes drive from my brother and we use the same ISP but again it's just not that enjoyable to play.

I do, however, play all of the above solo but very little firefight overall and I am much preferring the SPOPS version really, just love the CGI and story parts. Also having a 1-1.5 hour break from multiplayer each week is refreshing.

Netcode when matching a local host or full party is at an insanely high quality level. When matching a NOT local host things really fall apart. Network prediction sucks, killcams suck and the whole game is dragged down.

Good connection filters FTW.

No customizable controls
Broken kill-cams
No ranking system
No fixed spawns
No campaign scoring
No screenshot uploads

When you are all done with negative points how about balancing things out and dot point what you like or think are successes by 343i?

can't turn off instant respawns even in customs

how did both of you assholes miss this?

Lol good call, how the shit didn't I think of that. Guess because theres so many things you can make fun of.

-Yea so few options!
-Instant Respawn, I've literally finished my kills before the opponent got their shields back
-XP caps
-I would have to buy Mt Dew and Doritos to rank up as fast as Hirednoobs
-Regicide is actually a gametype that is in MM, and FFA isn't.
-We still dont have a mercenaries playlist
-The game didn't even come with an instruction booklet.

Are you insinuating that he doesn't like Halo?

Just playing devil's advocate. I also think there are a lot of positives in the game too.

Potentially with some playlist(s) management over the next few months, game settings/tweaks and the full 50 mission of SPOPS we could see the best Halo to date.

Whether that comes to fruition is another story...

I really dislike the player colors on some maps. I can't see blue players on Haven, Ragnarok or Complex, and I can't see red players on solace.

+Vehicles
They are no longer useable because all it takes is for someone to spawn with a plasma pistol and then double sticky grenade and its bye bye. Has ruined a lot of fun in bigteam.

+Assault
The removal of this is stupid. Always a very fun gametype in previous Halos especially big team.

+Flag markers
When you pick up the flag you should not have an icon about your head. The other team need to be on the ball when it comes to that shit, the game shouldn't tell them. Ruins strategies and flow.

I feel I could go on and on but Tunavi has done a pretty good job with my additional complaints put in as well!

-Vehicles
They're no longer obnoxious, map-dominating forces (other than the Gauss Hog). They're a fun diversion or a tool for flag delivery. Also, don't forget you make these claims without the context of the Engineer's perk. The Plasma Pistol won't be an auto-kill given the downtime is less, and it allows Hogs or especially Mantises to survive double-plasma.

-Assault
Fun gametype? The removal of this gametype follows right down the line in terms of 343's philosophy for change: remove vulnerable, boring downtime. Hiding with a flag? Here, take a gun, enjoy your movement speed and—by the way—there's a waypoint on your head. Now you're fighting for your life. Sneaking around with a bomb? We'll just remove that. Solved. Why do we want to be slow, melee-only guys? It's not fun. Oddball's the exception, but with the increased movement speed, ball-tossing and the already-existing waypoint, it's as frenetic as it needs to be.

-Flag Markers
When you pick up the flag, you should have an icon over your head. It's great! No more frustration about teammates not being able to communicate where the flag went. No more "how'd they even get back" flag captures. Everything's out in the open, and it feels right. Stealth captures were tedious for the flag carrier and frustrating for the enemy team. A flag carrier without a Flagnum was boring and overly vulnerable. Now it's more like running a football downfield than it is being a cat burglar in the night.

My feeling is that people lamenting this change either haven't played enough of the new CTF, or are stubborn derpskidoodles. Grabbing the flag now is exciting, not a chore. I love my Flagnum, I love my increased run speed, I love my one-hit-kill melee (not that it's new, but still) and I love that everyone knows where all the flags are.

Trey

343 should definitely produce an amazing net code for Halo 5. Implement JiP correctly.

Also should at least match the custom options of the prior Halos. And expand the feature set.

Top Bottom