• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

JHall

I think I just threw up in my mouth. If you honestly enjoy spartan ops your either mentally retarded or in denial.

Glad to see kylej showcasing how I and many people feel about Halo 4.

Game is disgusting. 343i should be ashamed.

No need for that first statement.

OrangeOak

Great posts Kyle.
I really would love to see some reactions of developers who are confronted with these concerns.
Till now everything is quiet, nobody does say anything.

I tweeted Over's giant posts to every 343 member I have on twitter (I think) in the hope somebody would read it and at least understand what this game does to fans who like the franchise for a very long time.

But by seeing the changes that are being made you could say these fans are not the main audience for Halo anymore or the audience 343 wants to please.

Other thing about the Servers and the dropout servers
I had this problem for several days, nobody could help me, neither here or someone from 343, hundreds of people had this problem and it wasn't due to connection issues.
Finally I had to delete my gamertag from my xbox and redownload it, after that I was able to play again .. so I ask you what system is being used by 343 there?

Spartan Ops
While I like the extra missions, they are repetive and sometimes really a pain to play. These missions aren't scaled for CoOp, and playing solo a mission on Legendary with 10 Promethean Knights who are equipped with binary rifles and incernator cannons is just dumb.

Like people said, some objective missions or with a real subject would be great. The characters are all idiotic. Palmer is probably the dumbest Spartan in service and she doesn't even do anything.

Roland the new KI??(I think he is right?) is also strange, he acts too edgy " oh everything is so boring, yeah let me do that and that".
Halsey is the best character in there, but is only used in video scenes, that I can't stream properly on my Xbox.

edit: oh fuck me, bottom of the page.

Did you delete your profile with all your saves or just the profile ? I'm scared to choose "delete with all items" option and when I'm trying to delete just the profile it says that it can't perform that action or something like that.
I have tried to download my profile without deleting it (it helped when I had pinball arcade achievements problem) but it doesn't work here and I still can't play Halo 4.
Im loosing my hope here.

Opiate

I think I just threw up in my mouth. If you honestly enjoy spartan ops your either mentally retarded or in denial.

So this post was reported, and I stopped for a moment to decide on punishment. Here is a brief glimpse in to the decision making process of a moderator.

Thought 1: Junior. Harsher punishment will be doled than if it were, say, Ghaleon.
Thought 2: The offense itself. Calling other posters retarded is bad and would likely warrant a slap even on our most veteran established posters.
Thought 3: "Mentally retarded" is redundant by modern definitions -- it's sort of like saying "your brain is stupid." I find this sort of thing personally offensive simply because the thought itself is poorly constructed.
Thought 4: "Your retarded" stated without a shred of irony. It's you're retarded. "You are retarded", or "you're retarded". Grammatical errors are much more offensive in sentences which mock the intelligence of other people.

The logical and grammatical errors, combined with junior status, have resulted in a harsher punishment than the simple slap on the wrist I might give heckfu if he called someone "retarded."

And now the window in to moderation is closed.

Kujo

Been having the same server problems as OrangeOak, sigh

I'm a few hours of playtime from getting that 300msp XBL Rewards thing too

Because of the quality I hold Bungie to, I thought the decisions made in Reach were baffling. Armor Lock? Camo AA? No OS pick up? Bloom? I mean, I thought something like Armor Lock was inexcusably bad.

But even with all this, I could see some logic behind all these decisions. A defensive AA, camo naturally becoming an AA for stealth players, OS removed to simplify the battlefield amidst all the AA's, Bloom to allow the user to choose accuracy over ROF.

But Halo 4 has just has some really WAT decisions.

Like, I thought the initial spawns on Guardian were bad considering whoever spawns elbow is guaranteed sniper, OS, and has an even shot at camo and hammer. But it's an Asymmetrical map. Haven is symmetrical but they chose to have you spawn at the asymmetrical ends? Why? Should have had initial ordnance spawn at those ends. To rag on Haven some more, why doesn't it have basic map orientation cues? A red/blue side? Perhaps light/dark?

Then there's shit like the boltshot. I think it was ellis that said to 343, a power weapon is anything that can kill in one shot. Umm....

The thing consistently beats the scattershot no problem and in a one on one situation its on par with the shotgun. The only thing the shotgun/scattershot gives you is leniency if you miss. But the boltshot is laughably easy to use.

Then we have the camo AA... and we see its been BUFFED. When you crouch theres no motion sensor jamming. And, at least to me, the camo effect is stronger.

Then we have GLOBAL ORDNANCE. One of Halo 4's biggest offenders imo. They weren't content to have just one mode that was a random clusterfuckfest. And to be fair, I love infinity slayer. Its a fun casual mode to play. What I don't understand is WHY WHY WHY they had to fuck with regular drops. They had a few solutions.

1. 343 not a fan of players who put in the effort to learn weapon spawns? It's an unfair advantage. Fine, whatever, be that way. You could have just put in HUD indicators. Have some in-game cue for when a drop is coming. I guess that makes too much sense though. Hell, you could have just gone with the current 2 minute system. New ordnance drop every 2 minutes, regardless of weapon pickup. AS LONG AS ITS PREDICTABLE. Why would they remove the ability to predict where a weapon will drop. I swear to fucking god if it was for that shitty perk... Like, I would have been salty if the weapon drop locations were static and the weapon itself was random. BUT ITS RANDOM LOCATION, RANDOM WEAPON. WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

2. Promote dynamic gameplay so no match plays the same. This seems like a solution looking for a problem. In all my time with Halo not ONCE have I ever heard the complaint "The games are too repetitive, everyone just goes for power weapons" NEVER. EVVVERRRRR. But shit, if you want the games to play out a little differently, you could have had weapons spawn in at different locations. The only difference is it should be PREDICTABLE. Like, if there was initial ordnance at the start of the map. Then at 2 minutes in, snipers spawn at each base. At 2 minutes in a rocket spawns in the middle of the map. 2 minutes in, a binary rifle spawns in some middle chokepoint. It would shift the combat to different areas of the map.

The game is clearly moving away from starting on equal ground, so I'm going to save my tears there.

The UI going backwards. Like WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY backwards.

Spartan Ops Logic: Oh you cleared this area of covenant forces? We'll send Infinity Science down to investigate. Next Week: Hey so, turns out Infinity Science is worthless and we missed a huge fucking button in the base we were studying, so we need you to go back down there. Oh, and the covenant has moved back in, oh and Infinity isn't going to do anything about Covenant ships in requiem.

Cutting basic features as well as a shit ton of customization options and gametypes.

Was this 343's Halo 2? Was it really development hell to get this game done? Why does this game feel like an incomplete package? I mean shit, file sharing doesn't even work!

SAAAAAAAALLLTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All that being said... unlike some people here I still have a lot of fun with this game. Me and 2 friends played for like 5 hours straight yesterday. We only wanted to play a few games but it was too fun. And that was with me playing splitscreen on a shitty TV.

That one Halo council video put it best.

Reach: Trying to polish a turd.
Halo 4: Trying to get the shit off a diamond.

Regain my trust, 343.

Bored at work, long post, happens.

Did you play Farcry 2?

OrangeOak

Been having the same server problems as OrangeOak, sigh

I'm a few hours of playtime from getting that 300msp XBL Rewards thing too

I'm on XBL rewards too but I can't even check my service record because I'm getting some kind of error. I don't know how much time I have played.

Overdoziz

Banned
I thought you liked the trash Elzar played like 2forts- I was always up for MLG but that dictator kept making us play mini games.

I will play halo 3 or even reach MLG with you anytime, just let me know when.
Every time I was party leaders I forced everyone in the lobby to play at least a couple of MLG matches. I do enjoy wacky mini-game matches though. The stuff in between mini-games and competitive gametypes; the 'casual' (read: bad) gametypes are the ones that I really dislike, though. Most of the time they're incredibly mind numbing.

GhaleonEB

So this post was reported, and I stopped for a moment to decide on punishment. Here is a brief glimpse in to the decision making process of a moderator.

Thought 1: Junior. Harsher punishment will be doled than if it were, say, Ghaleon.
Thought 2: The offense itself. Calling other posters retarded is bad and would likely warrant a slap even on our most veteran established posters.
Thought 3: "Mentally retarded" is redundant by modern definitions -- it's sort of like saying "your brain is stupid." I find this sort of thing personally offensive simply because the thought itself is poorly constructed.
Thought 4: "Your retarded" stated without a shred of irony. It's you're retarded. "You are retarded", or "you're retarded". Grammatical errors are much more offensive in sentences which mock the intelligence of other people.

The logical and grammatical errors, combined with junior status, have resulted in a harsher punishment than the simple slap on the wrist I might give heckfu if he called someone "retarded."

It's like How It's Made, but for forum moderation. (This is a compliment, love the show.)

Thanks. :D

ElRenoRaven

Handled I see. Some people just can't handle opinions well.

Dreaver

How the fuck is it possible that the netcode is flawless in the first week and it's HORRIBLE right now? Almost every game at least has yellow bar connection, and a lot are even worse (unplayable, instant quit). Not even to mention the insane amounts of blackscreens. The lag is unacceptable.

pissing me off, most of the games are ruined by the lag.

ElRenoRaven

Your just in denial.

LOL. Nah. I just laugh when I see someone get so pissed off that someone has a different opinion then them. I myself realize that not everyone will agree with me. I'm ok with that as long as they give solid reasons. There is nothing I hate more then someone who acts like he did though. It's basically LOL it sucks and you're a idiot head for liking what I don't.

Hell I hate a lot of things about Halo 4 but I'll damn well say why I do or at least if someone puts it better then I do say hey they nailed my thoughts better then I could.

Karl2177

So why are the human environments always like Foundry/Adrift? We've had the ODST city, but it was in a destroyed state. Why can't we have a piece take place in a non-destroyed state? I'm thinking Mirror's Edge styled worlds with bright colors and a stark white neutrality along with some deep blue skies.

b10.jpg

Merguson

Banned
I like the concept of Spartan Ops. I know some people don't like the recycled maps but if you were expecting brand new 50 maps, that's a lot of content to create.

But if you're going to recycle maps from the campaign and spartan ops, why not pick different areas to play with? You've got the entire campaign content to do that and I recall, 8 other MP maps.

I mean.. instead of Ragnarok as the map where you discover the Covenant has been using the portal system, why not use Meltdown instead? Or if that's a bit of a tight fit for Covenant transports, there's Vortex as well. There should be plenty of room there.

Some new areas designed for Spartan Ops, use of the larger-scale MP maps and whatever is suitable from campaign I don't see why we have to play Sniper Alley three times in a row. I can see some maps being reused such as Galileo's Base but to discover a Covenant Comms Network, why go through Sniper Alley again when you could use a different area from the campaign?

Fracas

#fuckonami
So why are the human environments always like Foundry/Adrift? We've had the ODST city, but it was in a destroyed state. Why can't we have a piece take place in a non-destroyed state? I'm thinking Mirror's Edge styled worlds with bright colors and a stark white neutrality along with some deep blue skies.

I think kyle said something like this a while ago, and it's a great idea. Multiplayer is set in on a ship that can create any environment imaginable. I don't want more boring buildings or ruined cities, something like this would be really nice.

ElRenoRaven

Beats me. I loved the city in ODST. I would love to see them take some cues from the design work in it for human maps. In fact I could have pictured a few areas in that city which would have made great multiplayer maps. Not just in terms of looks but also gameplay.

TCKaos

I've been trying to write a long post of all of my complaints and grievances for the last thirty minutes but I can't competently write such a long thing and keep it interesting. Basically everything's fucked and it could be fixed but it probably won't get fixed so it's going to stay fucked, and I am cry because Halo is the reason I even own an XBOX 360.

ElRenoRaven

I like the concept of Spartan Ops. I know some people don't like the recycled maps but if you were expecting brand new 50 maps, that's a lot of content to create.

But if you're going to recycle maps from the campaign and spartan ops, why not pick different areas to play with? You've got the entire campaign content to do that and I recall, 8 other MP maps.

I mean.. instead of Ragnarok as the map where you discover the Covenant has been using the portal system, why not use Meltdown instead? Or if that's a bit of a tight fit for Covenant transports, there's Vortex as well. There should be plenty of room there.

Some new areas designed for Spartan Ops, use of the larger-scale MP maps and whatever is suitable from campaign I don't see why we have to play Sniper Alley three times in a row. I can see some maps being reused such as Galileo's Base but to discover a Covenant Comms Network, why go through Sniper Alley again when you could use a different area from the campaign?

I agree. That is one area that Spartan Ops really could improve besides the obvious ones like adding limited lives, scoring, etc. I actually am a week behind and just played Chapter 3 yesterday. I really liked what they did with the Valhalla remake. Wasn't perfect mind you but it was kind of cool fighting from one end of it to the Pelican and then to the other base.

Fuchsdh

We had New Alexandria in mosly good shape. Just crank up the vibrancy and saturation settings :)

Louis Wu

You always came back for that sweet sweet candy.
lol - I joined you guys once for customs.

I actually LIKE crazy mini-games, usually - but what you were playing were a bunch of less-than-fun types (ie lots of sitting around watching others play if you die) that everyone but me seemed to know the rules for. (I even asked, after the first couple - everyone was chatting too much about other stuff to even hear my requests, I think.)

I never came back. :)

I've been trying to write a long post of all of my complaints and grievances for the last thirty minutes but I can't competently write such a long thing and keep it interesting. Basically everything's fucked and it could be fixed but it probably won't get fixed so it's going to stay fucked, and I am cry because Halo is the reason I even own an XBOX 360.

I know that feel :( At least my PS3 is back home waiting for me.

haha this post is pretty excellent.

TCKaos

I agree with you completely.

Also, holy shit those mass drop-pods are uninteresting as fuck. Throw in a Lich flying overhead that moves around and drops down troops through its grav-lift. More Phantoms would also be cool, or something. Something that isn't those huge pods that scream "Well, we couldn't think of an interesting way to start this engagement that wouldn't make your box shit itself, so here's a bunch of motherfuckers raining from the sky." It's not even one of those pants-shitting moments where a bunch of Zealots come down in their own drop pods (though they do come down every once in a while), it's just a flying monster door.

How the fuck is it possible that the netcode is flawless in the first week and it's HORRIBLE right now? Almost every game at least has yellow bar connection, and a lot are even worse (unplayable, instant quit). Not even to mention the insane amounts of blackscreens. The lag is unacceptable.

pissing me off, most of the games are ruined by the lag.

Week 1 the game had 300,000 to 400,000 people on during peak time. Now it has 100,000 to 150,000 during peak time. Fewer good connections to choose from means more laggy games.

heckfu

Banned

I hope that's to say my logic and grammar teamed up with my longevity make me appealing. You hear that, ladies? YOU HEAR THAT?!

Spartan Ops Season 2. 343 will be cutting it down to 1 mission every 2 weeks. Missions will be selected from the Halo novels, and will be voted on by the fans. If you always wanted to invade an Insurrectionist base built into an asteroid to recover a HVT, this is your lucky day.

/dreams

lol - I joined you guys once for customs.

I actually LIKE crazy mini-games, usually - but what you were playing were a bunch of less-than-fun types (ie lots of sitting around watching others play if you die) that everyone but me seemed to know the rules for. (I even asked, after the first couple - everyone was chatting too much about other stuff to even hear my requests, I think.)

I never came back. :)

I'm surprised the sound of Elzar eating into his mic wasn't enough on its own to keep you away :p

TCKaos

Spartan Ops Season 2. 343 will be cutting it down to 1 mission every 2 weeks. Missions will be selected from the Halo novels, and will be voted on by the fans. If you always wanted to invade an Insurrectionist base built into an asteroid to recover a HVT, this is your lucky day.

/dreams

Halo 2: Anniversary Episode lets you play through Cairo Station, Outskirts, Metropolis, Regret and High Charity.

u4iX

Ordnance should have been a real time point system that allows you to equip your spartan in real time during a match.

+100 points = Equip an AA
+50 more points = Equip a Tactical Package
+50 more points = Equip a Support Package
+75 more points = Call down an Active Camo, OS, or Speed Boost
Call in another Power Up each subsequent +75 points

Picking a starting weapon should have been standard. I like that change.
The secondary should have been a 6sk Human pistol with bloom, or a 6sk Human Pistol with recoil.
Plasma Pistol would go back to a pick up.
Sprint would still be default.
Pulse grenades would be stronger and pick up only.
Weapon drops would only be Initial and World Ordnance, not Personal.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

God damn I would love a map like this. It would make differentiating sides of the map so much easier. Definitely a big point made by Tawpgun. The fact that I still, after 3 weeks don't have solid callouts for all of the smaller maps in the game. There are maps in the game and locations that are really well separated in terms of how it looks to orient the player correctly. So at all times the player knows where they are in relation to the rest of the map. On Abandon, if you spawn on the beach you'll notice the forest on the right is fucking Purple. That's excellent! On the left of the map there's a staircase. I'm pretty sure that's the only staircase on the whole map. Awesome! Also on the left side, there's an air lift in the middle of a hollowed out tree! Sick. There's nothing like that on the map and probably not in any of the other maps. How unique!

Now let's look at Solace. I won't even touch on the decision to not make Solace completely symmetrical. Let's look at the main bases. One is overgrown with vines, trees and other shit. While the other doesn't have any of that stuff. That's really great. I've been calling them Jungle and Smooth. Now, how about the left and right side of the map? Because the map doesn't hold spawns to a single side, it would be difficult to just outright call one side left and the other side right. It's counter intuitive. Whose left? My right? What if I spawn in a place where I can't immediately tell which is left and right because I'm not even oriented in the first place (I've spawned towards the middle looking into space). The left and right of the map look so fucking similar. I've tried to call one sunny and one shaded because there's clearly a huge fucking Sun/Star/Glowing Object in the sky but damn it's like half way hidden behind one of the bases and it doesn't light the map like I would hope. It's hard to tell even after I've tried to establish a callout. How about you put some tall lamp posts on each side? However on one side they lights work and on the other they're broken. You don't even have to light the objects differently, you could just recognize the sides of the map based on those lights being on and off. Now you've got light and dark callouts on the map. "They're a guy jungle pushing dark" I KNOW THAT EXACT LOCATION NOW. I CAN FIGURE IT OUT PRETTY QUICKLY EVEN IF IT'S MY FIRST TIME ON THE MAP.

There might actually be a tell that I just haven't noticed yet but if I haven't noticed it by now, it's not good enough.

Basically this is where you take or leave Halo going forward. This isn't a case of "oh well it's their first game so..." because you can always make excuses for it. Halo's going to keep adding mechanics that will likely end up being questionable, it's going to continue making baffling changes to gametypes and things that were otherwise perfect as they were, and right here in the now is where you decide if that's for you or not. Let's just stop kidding ourselves anymore, Halo as it was is gone and it's going to stay that way.

m23

Played some customs yesterday for a small tournament thing, so much fun topped with so much craziness. The game has a lot of trouble keeping up with 16 players even on some of the smaller maps like Solace let alone Meltdown. 16 players FFA Swords on Haven with 200$ speed.....lots of laughs.

I haven't gotten a chance to play the new Spartan Ops yet but managed to watch the CG cutscene, I'm really surprised at how well its done (aside from Palmer). Much better than I expected. Excited to see where the story goes,
maybe 343 GS will make an appearance considering his absence from campaign and the developer's name.

u4iX

Basically this is where you take or leave Halo going forward. This isn't a case of "oh well it's their first game so..." because you can always make excuses for it. Halo's going to keep adding mechanics that will likely end up being questionable, it's going to continue making baffling changes to gametypes and things that were otherwise perfect as they were, and right here in the now is where you decide if that's for you or not. Let's just stop kidding ourselves anymore, Halo as it was is gone and it's going to stay that way.

The only man I trust in multiplayer console FPS.

John_Howard.png

I briefly put H4 back in the disc drive to try out Spartan Ops Episode 4.

Basically, it's no different from the previous ones.
Good: More fun fighting than the campaign.
better story than the campaign.

Bad: enemy count doesn't scale.
reused assets. So Bad.
eggheadshingeheadseggheadshingeheads
Halsey iz evil part 2450862075

UNSC marines and every Spartan IV that's not my character are apparently so incompetent that they yield areas where critical scientific research is ongoing to enemy forces, not once, but REPEATEDLY, in the case of Sniper Alley, Valhalla, The Cauldron, and others.
Lasky apparently uses the captain's chair for watching ESPN and eating nachos instead of hunting down the Covenant in orbit.
Palmer= egghead. Because that's the only word she knows.

Basically, somebody please blow up the Infinity in the mother of all Darwin awards.

TCKaos

There might actually be a tell that I just haven't noticed yet but if I haven't noticed it by now, it's not good enough.

Kind of like how on Adrift I have no clue as to where I am until I hit one of the lift halls, because they're color coded. But only those halls. Not the spawns, or any of the other entrances or exits to the spawn. Just the one hall on each side with the lift.

Top Bottom