• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

willow ve

If Halo has become COD/BF3 should we just treat it as such?

In past Halo games, notably 2 and 3, I oft found myself addicted to the rush of combat. There was a definite lure to the multiplayer that presented you with adrenaline and a will to win at all costs. Playing as a team and attempting to win each and every single game was the main focus of multiplayer. I have found that approaching Halo 4 with the same mindset often leads to frustrating and ultimately unrewarding games (unrewarding from both an enjoyment mindset as well as a "fill the never ending progression bar" mindset).

Although it might seem counter intuitive the multiplayer side of Halo 4 is a lot more enjoyable if you give up the desire to win or lose. With all the bars to fill and commendations to earn, etc., it is more fun to treat each match as a personal challenge to "rank up." This is what COD and BF3 have essentially become and lately I've had a lot more fun treating Halo 4 in the same way.

Example: last night I played Dominion and I decided I was 100% simply going for splatter kills (which are still, seemingly, completely based on your connection to host - so good luck). Once I stopped trying to scramble around the map to attack bases, destroy shields (good luck getting the shield destroyer spree), etc., and just focused selfishly on whatever the fuck I wanted to do in game I realized I was playing for hours just having fun.

This presents me with a simple internal conundrum. On one hand I really really like having fun and doing whatever I want in a game. On the other hand I miss the thrill of victory. The thrill of overcoming a closely matched game to triumph (and then brag in post game lobby). The pure rush of a 50-49 game. I find myself at a crossroads here. I can continue to post constructive criticism of this Halo game that attempts to correct the missteps we've all identified in mutliplayer; or I can just forget about any previous game, balance, nostalgia, and purity, and focus purely on having fun doing whatever I want with total disregard of winning or losing.

This is what I face with Halo 4.

Tawpgun

How long until you fly to kylej's house and give him a handjob?

All of this
lol.gif

I wasn't even there

Fracas

#fuckonami

In past Halo games, notably 2 and 3, I oft found myself addicted to the rush of combat. There was a definite lure to the multiplayer that presented you with adrenaline and a will to win at all costs. Playing as a team and attempting to win each and every single game was the main focus of multiplayer. I have found that approaching Halo 4 with the same mindset often leads to frustrating and ultimately unrewarding games (unrewarding from both an enjoyment mindset as well as a "fill the never ending progression bar" mindset).

Although it might seem counter intuitive the multiplayer side of Halo 4 is a lot more enjoyable if you give up the desire to win or lose. With all the bars to fill and commendations to earn, etc., it is more fun to treat each match as a personal challenge to "rank up." This is what COD and BF3 have essentially become and lately I've had a lot more fun treating Halo 4 in the same way.

Example: last night I played Dominion and I decided I was 100% simply going for splatter kills (which are still, seemingly, completely based on your connection to host - so good luck). Once I stopped trying to scramble around the map to attack bases, destroy shields (good luck getting the shield destroyer spree), etc., and just focused selfishly on whatever the fuck I wanted to do in game I realized I was playing for hours just having fun.

This presents me with a simple internal conundrum. On one hand I really really like having fun and doing whatever I want in a game. On the other hand I miss the thrill of victory. The thrill of overcoming a closely matched game to triumph (and then brag in post game lobby). The pure rush of a 50-49 game. I find myself at a crossroads here. I can continue to post constructive criticism of this Halo game that attempts to correct the missteps we've all identified in mutliplayer; or I can just forget about any previous game, balance, nostalgia, and purity, and focus purely on having fun doing whatever I want with total disregard of winning or losing.

Battlefield 3 is Halo 3 levels of intensity and fun when in the right settings. I get what you mean though.

nomis

Haha my thoughts exactly. The map designs and every aspect of Spartan Ops that isn't is a prerendered cut scene are so incredibly mediocre it's painful.

I mean no offense to David Ellis, and I'm sure he was the right man for the job 343 hired him for. BUT, as soon as I saw a bts video where his job title was changed to "Spartan Ops Designer" despite him having no level design experience, I immediately got a bad feeling that SpOps was going to be rehashed geometry with more space crates, and lazily placed AI routes.

CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT

MrDaravon

That's what I'm already doing. It's probably why I'm better at this than previous Halos as well. Run in and don't give a fuck, and everything usually turns out okay at the end. For better or worse, that's what it is now. Even if they make a super trim "core" playlist, it's just going to wind up splitting the userbase even further, when it already seems to be on the small side, so at this point I probably wouldn't even bother with any core type playlist.

CyReN

People want Halo 2's TrueSkill indication back, but honestly, I think it's a bad idea, because cheaters.

Because people won't boost with the current XP system.

MS/343 should battle against the 5% and under that cheat instead of hurt the rest of the fanbase.

As someone who never plays with a full party I never play expecting a team win or loss. Too much depends upon everybody else. So I focus on my own performance: kills + assists / deaths or helping the objective. I do try to do my best but don't take the game as (tournament) seriously as many here, which may be why I'm having a good time. Dunno.

Spartan Ops is a disappointment overall, but I still have fun with the idea of random combat scenario #50 on location #3 (reverse) and appreciate the cinematics. I'm here for the moment to moment combat after all, so the re-use doesn't bug me as much anymore, but the lack of scaling, and the overly simplistic objectives (push button or kill all enemies) means this mode doesn't live up to the pre-release hype. This is not episodic gaming - this is a just the output of a simplistic scenario creation tool with all the immersive smoke and mirrors stripped away, boom mic haging down, and scaffolding showing.

Its good for warm-ups and practicing some of our team tactics though. Not much more.

MS/343 should battle against the 5% and under that cheat instead of hurt the rest of the fanbase.
This assumes we know who the fanbase is. I've got a feeling we're all under some illusions here. Does rank matter to most Halo players? How do you know that you're not the 5%?

I'd like any solutions that don't pit one set of players against another. So basically, bring back the arena.

Because people won't boost with the current XP system.

Bullshit. Like i said, we get the ranking system back and it will fuck the game up.

All those people who could never get 50s created a market for people to make new accounts, slingshot them to 50 and then sell them. In turn fucking up every match they play to got to 50.

Its more trouble then its worth, id love to see it come back.

But the fanbase are the ones who ruined it for everyone.

Booties

Banned
Great source of XP. I actually just hit 50 :)

Went Pioneer...for the XP.
Stealing bags of Doritos is more fun than spartan ops.

Is anyone else sad that there is no reason to play objectives correctly anymore? Flag is too easy to be competetive and strategic and all the others give me points for kills. Pair that with lack of incentive (emblem unlocks are not exciting enough) and you have no reason to do anything but slay for hours.

As someone who never plays with a full party I never play expecting a team win or loss. Too much depends upon everybody else. So I focus on my own performance: kills + assists / deaths or helping the objective. I do try to do my best but don't take the game as (tournament) seriously as many here, which may be why I'm having a good time. Dunno.

This assumes we know who the fanbase is. I've got a feeling we're all under some illusions here. Does rank matter to most Halo players? How do you know that you're not the 5%?

I'd like any solutions that don't pit one set of players against another. So basically, bring back the arena.

How would you feel if Halo 4 was 100% ranks, super serious and hyper competitive where it was pretty much required to coordinate with a team (full party or randoms) and there were no other playlists except 1-50 ranks?

Because that feeling.. is what a lot of people are feeling right now, just on the flip side. Halo set so many standards in the past (not just with ranks).. now it's going to be playing catch up ;\

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
I mean no offense to David Ellis, and I'm sure he was the right man for the job 343 hired him for. BUT, as soon as I saw a bts video where his job title was changed to "Spartan Ops Designer" despite him having no level design experience, I immediately got a bad feeling that SpOps was going to be rehashed geometry with more space crates, and lazily placed AI routes.

CONTENT CONTENT CONTENT

You do know that a level designer and mission designer are two separate jobs right? I am not a level designer.

We've done the best job possible under the circumstances, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished with Spartan Ops so far. It's far from perfect, but we created the content within the time and production restraints we had. As I said in the Bulletin last week, of course we'd love to have a different environment for every single mission, but that just wasn't a possibility.

We've been listening to a wide range of feedback from the missions so far, but be aware not all of the feedback is possible to implement. That's just the realities of the production schedule we were and still are working under. Spartan Ops has sort of been an experiment, and although, thousands of people are tuning in and playing every week, it's not for everyone.

You do know that a level designer and mission designer are two separate jobs right? I am not a level designer.

We've done the best job possible under the circumstances, and I'm proud of what we've accomplished with Spartan Ops so far. It's far from perfect, but we created the content within the time and production restraints we had. As I said in the Bulletin last week, of course we'd love to have a different environment for every single mission, but that just wasn't a possibility.

We've been listening to a wide range of feedback from the missions so far, but be aware not all of the feedback is possible to implement. That's just the realities of the production schedule we were and still are working under. Spartan Ops has sort of been an experiment, and although, thousands of people are tuning in and playing every week, it's not for everyone.

tumblr_mdxaafRMd31rttthv.gif

Spartan Ops is still feeling like a swing and a miss to me. It has its moments, it can be fun, but it never comes close to SP, FF or something like Spec Ops from COD. The CG storytelling is cool, but the missions really feel incredibly devoid of any sort of purpose despite their efforts, especially with all the re-used assets. I think I would like it better if FF had come back, but it could have been inspired by Gears 3 Horde mode with the round based base building, etc. Now that is freaking fun. Spartan Ops is playable, but not really fun. Its a shame, really.

I really hope 343 is taking the criticisms of this game seriously and are not writing them off based on a few overly dramatic and insult ridden posts. There is a lot wrong with Halo 4, but I do realize the same can be said for any other Halo game. Also, I realize that I am really enjoying the MP, it feels Halo and it feels fresh. But it needs some changes, and it needs a classic mode despite the fact that I will likely frequent Infinity Slayer.

Global Ordinance needs to go, something more predictable needs to come back. Player Ordinance can stay.

Ouch. :lol

I find myself at a crossroads here. I can continue to post constructive criticism of this Halo game that attempts to correct the missteps we've all identified in mutliplayer; or I can just forget about any previous game, balance, nostalgia, and purity, and focus purely on having fun doing whatever I want with total disregard of winning or losing.
Oh hey, I could swear that... yep.

But Halo will soon be a game where a bunch of players hop into a game perhaps just beginning, perhaps seconds from its conclusion. The players on each team may already have changed many times. Many players may not care about the score or be invested in the result for that reason (among others). Some players may be focused on grinding a particular medal or challenge rather than winning the game. Most will be trying to get as much XP as possible so they can unlock wallhack and a sweet set of greaves. A few won't care about XP at all, and so will be focused on the old-fashioned inherent rewards of doing well -- but because of certain rule changes, these players will avoid going after, say, the flag in a CTF game because it is even more detrimental to those inherent rewards than before. And their 'competitive' experience will meanwhile be compromised by all those players who don't particularly care about the inherent rewards of team success.

I get that those things don't matter to many, or even most, and certainly not in the heady first week or month of release. But they matter to me. And I'll mourn them. I'll love the core gameplay, I'll delight in learning the new maps and mechanics, I'll have a blast with my friends for a month or two... and then I'll wonder why all the rewards are set up to be extrinsic, and the onus for finding meaning in all those random matches is on me.

How would you feel if Halo 4 was 100% ranks, super serious and hyper competitive where it was pretty much required to coordinate with a team (full party or randoms) and there were no other playlists except 1-50 ranks?

Because that feeling.. is what a lot of people are feeling right now, just on the flip side. Halo set so many standards in the past (not just with ranks).. now it's going to be playing catch up ;\
I get you, but honestly, that's how Halo 3 felt for me. Even the social playlists were filled with crazy good players just looking to stomp noobs for warmup. Reach was more approachable but it never kept me engaged in versus for long, so it was pretty much all about Firefight and challenges. All the nostalgia hurts too, since you're guaranteed to get schooled by Halo vets, but that's what you want, right?

Halo 4 is the first Halo 4 multiplayer that has a nice welcoming curve to it. If the higher parts of that curve became more static and predictable I'd be fine with that.

Its an experiment worth doing imho, just one that doesn't live up the pre-release hype and expectations most of the time. There are some great scenario nuggets to be found in there though (love the ragnarock and complex missions so far the most).

I get you, but honestly, that's how Halo 3 felt for me. Even the social playlists were filled with crazy good players just looking to stomp noobs for warmup. Reach was more approachable but it never kept me engaged in versus for long, so it was pretty much all about Firefight and challenges. All the nostalgia hurts too, since you're guaranteed to get schooled by Halo vets, but that's what you want, right?

Halo 4 is the first Halo 4 multiplayer that has a nice welcoming curve to it. If the higher parts of that curve became more static and predictable I'd be fine with that.

Halo 3 was back in 2007 where the social playlists just threw all people together. What if Halo 4 had both ranks and social playlists that worked as it does now? Why do people always talk in extremes and recall the past as if things can't change? Not trying to sound rude, but it's the truth. You can't write something off based on how it functioned 5 years ago.

I think I would like it better if FF had come back, but it could have been inspired by Gears 3 Horde mode with the round based base building, etc. Now that is freaking fun.

This is what Firefight Versus should've evolved into.

I dream of this Halo spinoff if it won't ever be in a numbered Halo game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Bullshit. Like i said, we get the ranking system back and it will fuck the game up.

All those people who could never get 50s created a market for people to make new accounts, slingshot them to 50 and then sell them. In turn fucking up every match they play to got to 50.

Its more trouble then its worth, id love to see it come back.

But the fanbase are the ones who ruined it for everyone.

Well I think there's a happy balance somewhere. More so than just "This section is ranked, this section is not ranked"

First off all, True Skill matching should be pretty strict in all of the playlists. Competitive matches are just more fun for both parties. I think though there should be very few ranked playlists. I'm talking like 3 max. Do 4v4 Slayer, 4v4 CTF and 8 man FFA. Have 343 work with the community (AGL, MLG and the pro gamers) to put out the gametypes and settings. Over time, through feedback and monitoring the gametypes will be tweaked when necessary.

Now what about the ranks themselves? 1-50? Arena Style? StarCraft 2 style? XP based (can lose XP)? Some combination of them all?

Keep it small and focused, make it ranked and people will play it. Also, I strongly believe that if you label the playlist, "MLG" or "AGL" or something similar, people will stay out of it just because of its name. It's going to happen. There are opinions people have about these groups that will turn them away forever. Call it Competitive Ranked or some shit.

Gotta do a podcast about this. Typing sucks.

Halo 3 was back in 2007 where the social playlists just threw all people together. What if Halo 4 had both ranks and social playlists that worked as it does now? Why do people always talk in extremes and recall the past as if things can't change? Not trying to sound rude, but it's the truth. You can't write something off based on how it functioned 5 years ago..
I'm not writing anything off, just describing my experiences - maybe you should read the post again. I'd also be fine with many of the changes proposed here, but for pro playlists or higher ranked players specifically, as I think all the current systems in Halo 4 help bring new players up to speed on some core skills needed to provide any benefit to the team at the level of play you guys are used to and expect.

wwm0nkey

Gaht damn.

I would pay $100.00 for this in Halo. Today.

Honestly to have something like this in Halo I think its apparent they would have to build the engine/how they make SP/MP maps off of it. No idea how much work that would take though but it would be amazing if Halo did have similar tools.

CyReN

I think the issue with Spartan Ops is that quantity took over when quality should be the main focus. I believe Ellis and his team did do the best they could under their constraints. It's only 20 episodes and they are taking feedback so that's something.

I would REALLY do more of something like Episode 3 Chapter 4, by far the most fun I've had with the game mode personally.

I think the issue with Spartan Ops is that quantity took over when quality should be the main focus. I believe Ellis and his team did do the best they could under their constraints.

That and ODST style FF with MM support would have been a better alternative. ODST FF was a true survival mode.

I think the issue with Spartan Ops is that quantity took over when quality should be the main focus. I believe Ellis and his team did do the best they could under their constraints. It's only 20 episodes and they are taking feedback so that's something.

I would REALLY do more of something like Episode 3 Chapter 4, by far the most fun I've had with the game mode personally.

More Funs Per Second.

TCKaos

I think the issue with Spartan Ops is that quantity took over when quality should be the main focus. I believe Ellis and his team did do the best they could under their constraints.

I definitely would have settled for one mission a week (or even more) if they got semi-original environments or if it meant more time for the Spoops team to plan encounters. Hopefully we get that with Season 2. I'd rather leave the South Park schedule to Trey Parker and Matt Stone.

I mean, I completely understand the situation Ellis and everyone is in, and it's a shitty situation, but I'd rather have one good mission instead of five passable missions.

CyReN

That and ODST style FF with MM support would have been a better alternative. ODST FF was a true survival mode.

Yea they really made it casual friendly, but I don't know what to think anymore. I like more people playing video games but I don't like having my hand held. At least enable a death limit for the old school Halo gamers.

Yea they really made it casual friendly, but I don't know what to think anymore. I like more people playing video games but I don't like having my hand held. At least enable a death limit for the old school Halo gamers.

Or just reuse and refine ideas that worked well before. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".

Nobody was clamoring for FF to be replaced by Spops. Everybody was clamoring for the removal of game breaking AAs. 343 responded by removing FF and adding in more AAs. It doesn't make any sense; it is like 343 is hearing what we want and doing the exact opposite.

Edit: Actually that not I would say that old Halo was more casual friendly because of its simplicity; there were not confusing classes or perks to choose from and the UI made sense. People just had to put the disc in and press the "put me in a game button". One of my good friends (who does not own any consoles and only played Halo at friends houses) will not play any Halo games with me besides Halo 1-3 because the newer titles, "added too much and made it confusing"

MrDaravon

I just got to the "Freaking eggheads" line in the last Chapter out right now. This is the most embarrassing writing and dialogue I can think of in a game in a looooong time. Who the fuck writes and then approves this shit? Apparently competent dialogue that doesn't make you hate all of the characters and has you giving a shit about anything going on takes way too much production time.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I just got to the "Freaking eggheads" line in the last Chapter out right now. This is the most embarrassing writing and dialogue I can think of in a game in a looooong time. Who the fuck writes and then approves this shit? Apparently competent dialogue that doesn't make you hate all of the characters and has you giving a shit about anything going on takes way too much production time.

Does someone seriously say "freaking eggheads"? wow

Top Bottom