• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Ordnance should have been a real time point system that allows you to equip your spartan in real time during a match.

+100 points = Equip an AA
+50 more points = Equip a Tactical Package
+50 more points = Equip a Support Package
+75 more points = Call down an Active Camo, OS, or Speed Boost
Call in another Power Up each subsequent +75 points

No, that would be even worse than what we have now and would instantly lead to Counter Strike comparisons.

It would also be worse than killstreaks in other games. People already at a disadvantage would just continue to get shit on.

Ordinance is fine as it's in the game now IMO (maybe some tweaks to keep certain weapons RARE if not completely removed and Camo removed as an AA and made into a ordinance power drop), what needs to be fixed is the global random ordinance.

ElRenoRaven

Halo 2: Anniversary Episode lets you play through Cairo Station, Outskirts, Metropolis, Regret and High Charity.

Oh I wouldn't mind that at all. I really liked Halo Anniversary in spite of the bugs and other issues it had. I wouldn't mind replaying Halo 2 without a doubt with some nice graphics like that. Just for the love of god though don't wrap the new graphics over the old. I really hated how all the non combat personal on the POA were magically fatter.

Basically this is where you take or leave Halo going forward. This isn't a case of "oh well it's their first game so..." because you can always make excuses for it. Halo's going to keep adding mechanics that will likely end up being questionable, it's going to continue making baffling changes to gametypes and things that were otherwise perfect as they were, and right here in the now is where you decide if that's for you or not. Let's just stop kidding ourselves anymore, Halo as it was is gone and it's going to stay that way.

This sentiment is so crazy to me. Halo 4 could have been SO much worse!

From my point of view, I had been urging Bungie to put jetpacks in Halo since the Halo 2 days. Reach finally added them. However, it wasn't enough. The blurry graphics, armor lock, weak leveling system etc. really turned me off to Halo. I picked up Halo Anniversary and didn't even finish it. Barely even played the new maps.

However, I've been playing Halo 4 like a mad man since release. I can't seem to get enough of it. I'm fucking loving it. It really feels like the Halo 2 days all over again. Staying up way too late and day dreaming about it all day at work. Campaign, Spartan Ops, Forge, War Games, challenges etc etc etc. It's awesome!

u4iX

No, that would be even worse than what we have now and would instantly lead to Counter Strike comparisons.

It would also be worse than killstreaks in other games. People already at a disadvantage would just continue to get shit on.

Ordinance is fine as it's in the game now IMO (maybe some tweaks to keep certain weapons RARE if not completely removed and Camo removed as an AA and made into a ordinance power drop), what needs to be fixed is the global random ordinance.

I guess I'm under the insane impression that good gamers should be rewarded.

I agree with you completely.

Also, holy shit those mass drop-pods are uninteresting as fuck. Throw in a Lich flying overhead that moves around and drops down troops through its grav-lift. More Phantoms would also be cool, or something. Something that isn't those huge pods that scream "Well, we couldn't think of an interesting way to start this engagement that wouldn't make your box shit itself, so here's a bunch of motherfuckers raining from the sky." It's not even one of those pants-shitting moments where a bunch of Zealots come down in their own drop pods (though they do come down every once in a while), it's just a flying monster door.

The funny thing is, in past Halos drop pods had believability. Just because I didn't see a covenant ship over head didn't mean there wasn't one high above the clouds in orbit. On the Galileo mission, you look up and see the roof of Requiem. Where are they coming from 343? PLOTHOLESSSSS

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Kind of like how on Adrift I have no clue as to where I am until I hit one of the lift halls, because they're color coded. But only those halls. Not the spawns, or any of the other entrances or exits to the spawn. Just the one hall on each side with the lift.

Oh god Adrift. That map for Slayer is a shit show.

lol - I joined you guys once for customs.

I actually LIKE crazy mini-games, usually - but what you were playing were a bunch of less-than-fun types (ie lots of sitting around watching others play if you die) that everyone but me seemed to know the rules for. (I even asked, after the first couple - everyone was chatting too much about other stuff to even hear my requests, I think.)

I never came back. :)

I'm surprised the sound of Elzar eating into his mic wasn't enough on its own to keep you away :p

Hahaha. This reminded me of the one time it was really silent in the party and I blurt out, "Son of a bitch, I dropped my Pop-Tarts". Laughter ensues.

All of these...good times. : )

u4iX

I guess you don't recognize that they already are and nowhere in my post did I say otherwise.

I think it's a more interesting system, albeit in need of tweaks, than what we have now.
Especially considering that custom classes don't work on LAN without painful workarounds.

And since when are CS comparisons a bad thing?

You're not buying an AWP, you're just progressively tweaking your playstyle throughout the match in a much more dynamic fashion than spawning in with all your gear and running around in a slow loris wolf pack hoping the Infinity gods grace you with World Ordnance.

There's not a whole lot to fight OVER with Halo 4's current weapon spawn and respawn system.

You don't need to hold power positions anymore, you just need to run around as a team hunting down instant respawners.

Instead of spawn trapping, spawn baiting works better. You're better off holding a base in Adrift for the ENTIRE game than moving around the map. Power weapons will come to you in your personal ordnance, you'll get teammate spawns unless the enemy successfully pushes into your base, and even if they do you can instant respawn and get right back to not moving.

There's no more ebb and flow to battles, map control, weapon control, or spawn control.

This sentiment is so crazy to me. Halo 4 could have been SO much worse!

From my point of view, I had been urging Bungie to put jetpacks in Halo since the Halo 2 days. Reach finally added them. However, it wasn't enough. The blurry graphics, armor lock, weak leveling system etc. really turned me off to Halo. I picked up Halo Anniversary and didn't even finish it. Barely even played the new maps.

However, I've been playing Halo 4 like a mad man since release. I can't seem to get enough of it. I'm fucking loving it. It really feels like the Halo 2 days all over again. Staying up way too late and day dreaming about it all day at work. Campaign, Spartan Ops, Forge, War Games, challenges etc etc etc. It's awesome!
It's just that despite being a considerably better game than Reach, it's still a Reach-like departure in a lot of ways. So you either roll with that and love it for what it is, which you clearly do and that's great, or you just realize that the Halo of old isn't coming back. Wanting that is just going to keep setting yourself up for compromises and wasted potential, so this is the time and place to take a leave and say thanks for all the fish.

Then add a better TruSkill system so that good players don't have to go against bad players. Problem solved.

In my experience, Halo 4's matchmaking system has been very accurate, especially recently. The last few nights I've noticed some very evenly matched teams.

But to address your point I don't think there is a big enough player base to accommodate games with "no bad players."

It's just that despite being a considerably better game than Reach, it's still a Reach-like departure in a lot of ways. So you either roll with that and love it for what it is, which you clearly do and that's great, or you just realize that the Halo of old isn't coming back. Wanting that is just going to keep setting yourself up for compromises and wasted potential, so this is the time and place to take a leave and say thanks for all the fish.

True - but if I felt that way I'd still be looking forward to the potential Halo 2 anniversary game. I'm actually still miffed that Halo 2 was taken offline. That game had by far the very best multiplayer maps in Halo.

And of course Bungie's next project may be an awesome one.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
There seems to be some sentiment that unless you're a "game developer," you're not allowed to have good ideas.

There also seems to be a sentiment from people that their ideas are good and how things should be.

What I see is people trying to get "into the field" and throwing handfulls of shit at a wall hoping something sticks.

"Good ideas" are very few and far between in this thread, although that's simply my opinion. I'm grateful that most people here aren't in game development, and they should be too since they would probably be broke and sad.

True - but if I felt that way I'd still be looking forward to the potential Halo 2 anniversary game. I'm actually still miffed that Halo 2 was taken offline. The game had by far the very best multiplayer maps in Halo.

And of course Bungie's next project may be an awesome one.
I wouldn't even hope for a Halo 2 Anniversary. Splitting playerbase and all that. Looking forward to Destiny if only because it doesn't have so much Halo baggage holding it down anymore.

zlatko

Banned
How the fuck is it possible that the netcode is flawless in the first week and it's HORRIBLE right now? Almost every game at least has yellow bar connection, and a lot are even worse (unplayable, instant quit). Not even to mention the insane amounts of blackscreens. The lag is unacceptable.

pissing me off, most of the games are ruined by the lag.

Last night was my first run in with noticeable lag. Joined a game, it was bogged up start of round so I couldn't even run. I could still move/shoot, but running wouldn't work. Then the opposing team would be teleporting around on my screen, and I'd try to shoot out, but it'd just show me dead. When I looked at the kill cam it showed them playing just fine. My whole team was experiencing this.

It was my first time quitting out of a game. There was no point.

u4iX

There also seems to be a sentiment from people that their ideas are good and how things should be.

What I see is people trying to get "into the field" and throwing handfulls of shit at a wall hoping something sticks.

"Good ideas" are very few and far between in this thread, although that's simply my opinion. I'm grateful that most people here aren't in game development, and they should be too since they would probably be broke and sad.

When similar ideas and similar thoughts on how the experience can be improved show up on Major League Gaming, NeoGAF, HaloWaypoint, and Halo Council... someone might wanna look into the suggestions.

What I see being posted on forums now is far and away better than it's ever been. Bungie's suggestion forum would be filled with posts like "dual wield swords" and "take out BR starts." Now HaloWaypoint is filled with some incredibly well thought out posts.

Are they all the greatest ideas that NEED to be in the game? No, that's ridiculous. However, the fact that the nature of these suggestions are more thought out, have a better gameplay rationale, and often times have been proven to be what worked in past Halo games, means a lot.

darthbob

There seems to be some sentiment that unless you're a "game developer," you're not allowed to have good ideas.

Good ideas nonwithstanding. The phrasing of said idea is juvenile.

"343 needs to invent a better skill system."

Give this man a Nobel Prize.

Basically this is where you take or leave Halo going forward. This isn't a case of "oh well it's their first game so..." because you can always make excuses for it. Halo's going to keep adding mechanics that will likely end up being questionable, it's going to continue making baffling changes to gametypes and things that were otherwise perfect as they were, and right here in the now is where you decide if that's for you or not. Let's just stop kidding ourselves anymore, Halo as it was is gone and it's going to stay that way.

well said, well said....I am spending more time in blops and borderlands 2 than halo 4.

If you reward them too much, the gap becomes too wide between good players and bad players and no one has fun because there is no competition.

Yaayyy binary rifles and rocket launchers for everyone, except your own team.

So, who has completed the monthly challenge already?

I have 20 wins left and fully confident I'll be able to complete it before expiration.

98/117, its difficult to me I dont have a team,I rarely see Franklinaut and Fracas is missing in action.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Jesus, it killed you a couple times and now you're bitter? It serves a specific role, punishing players who fall into chase-traps. Whenever I die to it, I know I could have avoided it. #1 lesson I've learned in Halo is don't chase. This weapon's a little-too-great reminder of that. Also, it's fun to kill people with it. Setup with payoff is always nice. Nerf and we're good.

I actually liked Stalker's idea of using a full clip for a blast and Steelyuha's range reduction.

Your justification however is laughable and not at all how it's used.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So why are the human environments always like Foundry/Adrift? We've had the ODST city, but it was in a destroyed state. Why can't we have a piece take place in a non-destroyed state? I'm thinking Mirror's Edge styled worlds with bright colors and a stark white neutrality along with some deep blue skies.
I've been wanting this since Reach and instead we get the drab and dreary red hue of Adrift or the vast and vacant space of Complex.

While I'm still enjoying Halo 4 immensely, I honestly miss the old ordnance system of just having set weapons with set timers on the map. No waypoints or anything. Oh, and no personal ordnance.

Everything else can stay though. Just give me that kind of gametype, and I will be satisfied.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
While I'm still enjoying Halo 4 immensely, I honestly miss the old ordnance system of just having set weapons with set timers on the map. No waypoints or anything. Oh, and no personal ordnance.

Everything else can stay though. Just give me that kind of gametype, and I will be satisfied.
That would go a long way towards me liking the game more. Remove camo, jetpack, PV, and heavy vehicles in matchmaking, and I'd be 100% back on board.

zlatko

Banned

I feel like on more of the maps now though I move around instead of crowding certain spots. I'd like to see a heat map like Bungie had for H4, just to see how much more hot spots there are for H4 maps to same size maps in Reach.

I also like that anyone can be a threat at any point so I approach them more carefully since even needlers completely destroy here in H4.

Booties

Banned
Its an embarrassment that so much time was wasted developing and hyping up spartan ops. Its incredibly boring, has awful characters outside Halsey (who is interesting and mysterious), and does not play well.

Episodic content is fun but it should play more like an episode of a campaign if that's what it is intended to be. Flooding me with enemies that swarm my spawn points is not how it should be. I can't believe they think people want to spawn surrounded by 15 enemies before you even know where you are yourself. And when you finally do get past the spawn trap all you get is the 100th button to push in the game and more enemies.

Give me strategic options. Give me a base. Give me checkpoints I can see instead of arbitrary spawn points with nothing useful nearby. Give me an objective that isn't "turn this thing on/off" again.

I'm done with campaign and spartan ops. I get more annoyed every time I play it because of how awful the prometheans are. They take too much damage, have little differentiation, and give no feedback when shot besides teleporting or running away. What weapon do you have? Let me just spawn and die near you a few times so I can see (bad). I am a big metal gear solid fan; I love additional info dumps and Intel, but don't make me load waypoint and miraculously discover the information that tells me what the Promethean classes are.

Kyle's right in every way. This game is a failure. I have fun in the multiplayer, but only to a certain extent. I have no reason to play after a few games because its increasingly random and gives me less choice and controlled of the game. And for those that disagree and say this game isn't a failure isnt seeing the big picture. This game had HUGE expectations. More than halo 3 for sure. To deliver this ho hum game is a disaster. The difference between what this game is in reality and what it could have been is extraordinary.

I actually liked Stalker's idea of using a full clip for a blast and Steelyuha's range reduction.

Your justification however is laughable and not at all how it's used.

Cabbie calls the gun un-nerfable, then says he likes the ideas for nerfing it. Smooth.

The gun's fun. It's easy to predict its use. It takes an inevitable Halo encounter and allows players to pull out something clutch.

Tawpgun

Did you play Farcry 2?

No, why do you ask?

PS. Frankie/Ellis/343, before you unleash the DLC maps, and I hope it might be too late for the first maps... Can you PLEEAAASSEEE make sure the maps are aptly color coded/lit/have distinct features that make map orientation possible?

Does Forge have still have lights? I bet I can fix Haven in 5 minutes.

Tawpgun

Cabbie calls the gun un-nerfable, then says he likes the ideas for nerfing it. Smooth.

The gun's fun. It's easy to predict its use. It takes an inevitable Halo encounter and allows players to pull out something clutch.

It's unnerfable because unless they get rid of the one shot kill, it's still a power weapon.

The "nerfs" will help alleviate its bullshit, but not remove it. Hell, if you only allow it to strip shields you put it on par with the plasma pistol. It'd be balanced as well. You can strip shields/punch, but where the plasma pistol has tracking/EMP, the boltshot has headshot capability.

And the gun is fun. But so was trolling people with Armor Lock. It doesn't mean its fun for everyone. The fact that someone spawns with something that kills you that fast, that easily, a gun that can go toe to toe with the CQC power weapons?

C'mon

Oh man halo really has fallen off if using the boltshot is considered clutch :(

That makes me wonder though - Has anyone seen anything 'clutch' yet? I actually wish the MLG top ten videos where still run - those where pretty fun to watch on the odd occasion.

I think trueskill works only in Infinity Slayer. I've been having competitive matches where I was forced to play differently and use teamwork. Whereas in any other playlist I can go Rambo and just destroy everyone.

MrDaravon

I think trueskill works only in Infinity Slavery. I've been having competitive matches where I was forced to play differently and use teamwork. Whereas in any other playlist I can go Rambo and just destroy everyone.

lol

Skill-wise Infinity Slayer has been like any other playlist for me, pretty hit or miss. I rarely see close games either way.

As enemies knights and the prometheans in general are just not that much fun - interesting fights which use the combat space do not happen primarily because they teleport and then hold down a area. I think that's my biggest problem with spartan ops. Spartan ops with interesting locations would be no better - because the map does not impact on the gameplay - which takes away a lot of what could be interesting.

It's unnerfable because unless they get rid of the one shot kill, it's still a power weapon.

The "nerfs" will help alleviate its bullshit, but not remove it. Hell, if you only allow it to strip shields you put it on par with the plasma pistol. It'd be balanced as well. You can strip shields/punch, but where the plasma pistol has tracking/EMP, the boltshot has headshot capability.

And the gun is fun. But so was trolling people with Armor Lock. It doesn't mean its fun for everyone. The fact that someone spawns with something that kills you that fast, that easily, a gun that can go toe to toe with the CQC power weapons?

C'mon

I am assuming you are talking about the boltshot. The only thing that needs to be done is change the range of the boltshot and change it to a huge spread shot. This way it becomes a mini shotgun that is effective in melee range and hardly does any damage outside of it.

IHaveIce

Banned
Did you delete your profile with all your saves or just the profile ? I'm scared to choose "delete with all items" option and when I'm trying to delete just the profile it says that it can't perform that action or something like that.
I have tried to download my profile without deleting it (it helped when I had pinball arcade achievements problem) but it doesn't work here and I still can't play Halo 4.
Im loosing my hope here.
I deleted it with everything. Was also pretty scared lol.

Also thanks Opiate

So people just dont seem to remember the absolute fuckery that went on with Halo 3 and Halo 2s ranking system right?

Halo 2 became a shit show of Standbyers, Host bridging, Modding and all that deranking bullshit. It was a nightmare.

Halo 3 just had more casual players getting destroyed by "New accounts" of people trying to get 50s because they were too shit to get it on their own account.

Ranking system brings too much bullshit to halo. And i loved trying to get my rank up. Getting two 50s in halo 3 was some of the most fun competetive gaming ive ever played.

But the people clamouring for that shit again are out their minds.

Halo is better off without that 1-50 horse shit.

MrDaravon

What the grunts look like in this game has been reminding me of something since launch but I couldn't think of what, but I just realized it; Wrex from Mass Effect. I can't unsee it now.

Game would be way better with Shepard.

Top Bottom