• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

ElRenoRaven

This is the most annoying thing about being a fan, you give constructive feedback all the time and they take it like we are absolute idiots or something. You guys want to make a trailer about joining 343 because "you love Halo". What does that exactly mean? You played it at a friends house and liked the story? I've been a fan of the series for 10 years and this shit pisses me off to no end. I'm not asking you to move a fricken mountain here. The currnet maps have glaring issues, it has NO SMALL MAPS besides Haven. Sometimes I wonder why I try, I guess I'm just used to losing since I'm a Lions fan.

You know I look at people like Josh and just laugh. It shows you someone who obviously needs to grow a thicker skin.

Arnie

This is the most annoying thing about being a fan, you give constructive feedback all the time and they take it like we are absolute idiots or something. You guys want to make a trailer about joining 343 because "you love Halo". What does that exactly mean? You played it at a friends house and liked the story? I've been a fan of the series for 10 years and this shit pisses me off to no end. I'm not asking you to move a fricken mountain here. The currnet maps have glaring issues, it has NO SMALL MAPS besides Haven. Sometimes I wonder why I try, I guess I'm just used to losing since I'm a Lions fan.

It's like you're inside my head.

When I criticise the game I'm doing it in an attempt to be constructive. I don't enjoy the lack of desire to play Halo, especially when I know why such a desire doesn't burn within me. I understand the argument that 343 wouldn't want to engage with fans because of the vitriol emanating from certain camps and sections, but if I was the custodian of such a huge franchise and my fans were responding in the manner that others and I are, I'd want to engage and establish just why certain players are reacting in such a way.

You have to tear something apart before you can properly improve it.

CyReN

Maybe this is why he's crying, I sent out a tweet from THC about the maps (do know we are a mixing pot of casual/competitive just not mlg players now)

lM7vC.png

V5beB.jpg

Bcvqs.jpg

yFXPv.png

L1NETT

Jesus christ. If fan engagement couldn't get any worse, passive aggressive, condescending tweets like that won't help.

Yeah, pretty much this.

The fact that Halo 4 has the potential to be a great game makes it all the more frustrating that the map pack caters to two/maybe three playlists. As things stand, going solo in Halo 4 MP is incredibly annoying and frustrating.

I really want to 100% KOTH commendations ( at about 70%) but can't because I cannot stand Complex and Ragnarok (which both shouldn't be in the playlist).

My MP dilutes down to me playing Haven, Adrift and maybe Abandon. 3 maps. Similar things happen in Oddball and CTF, both playlists I really want to sink my teeth into.

EDIT: Fantastic stuff Kyle, keep it coming :)

Infinite small maps via Forge, or at least three good and varied small maps. Go make one! The community has already remade Lockout 100 times since Halo 4's release. You have your small maps.

IHaveIce

Banned
Can I somewhere sign that Josh doesn't get anything from my money?

Here were absolute fantastic posts what is wrong with halo 4 and its maps..also the dlc maps. And Josh tweets this shit( the second time) I never want to hear from Frankie complaibts about Kyle's sarcastic posts when even the 343 developers can handle it.

Edit: Kyle's counter attack is destroying haha perfect.

Tawpgun

It's because it seems like we're the forgotten ones. The game is moving on and leaving us behind.

I gave 343 the benefit of the doubt, but the game, as it stands at launch, is completley catered toward casual play and lol fun crazy random big shooting instant respawning action. That should be glaringly obvious and a FACT.

They gave us Slayer Pro, sure but without the feedback from Red X's and firing/taking damage/talking indicators, I feel completley lost without radar. There's instant respawn. And random ordnance.

Maybe sometime post launch this will be remedied in some way. But as of now we're pretty much in the dark. There are rumors of patching in skill ranks, more options, etc etc. But nothing concrete. This is why I think so many people are disappointed in the game. It's old halo fans who wanted the halo they know and love. Some change is good, but not when it interferes with what many regard as core principles of what makes Halo, halo

Hint: It's not just no ADS and shields.

ElRenoRaven

It's like you're inside my head.

When I criticise the game I'm doing it in an attempt to be constructive. I don't enjoy the lack of desire to play Halo, especially when I know why such a desire doesn't burn within me. I understand the argument that 343 wouldn't want to engage with fans because of the vitriol emanating from certain camps and sections, but if I was the custodian of such a huge franchise and my fans were responding in the manner that others and I are, I'd want to engage and establish just why certain players are reacting in such a way.

You have to tear something apart before you can properly improve it.

Yup. If I were making a game and I saw how almost half of the player base has left within 2 weeks and saw that a lot of them weren't happy, I'd ask myself why and then proceed to try and figure out how to fix what is wrong. I sure wouldn't waste my time acting like a child because people didn't think my game was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

The sad part is that his actions reflect on his co-workers wither he likes it or not. I feel for those co-workers for that very reason.

J10

Banned
By definition AIs are artificially constructed as opposed to converting a biological being into bits and pieces. Still, there's a lot about the composer and its relation to AIs we still don't know.

Cortana came from a biological being (a clone of Halsey's brain) and is a lot like the woman she's based on. I had assumed that this stuff with the Composer was analogous to that.

Where can I find the Halo-GAF podcast? I searched the this thread and the other one and couldn't find it. Guess I'm doing something wrong...

HaloGAF.com (Under Media > HaloGAF Radio. New episodes are also posted to the front page.)

Episode 1 comes out tonight, we recorded it last week with Havok as the guest and I'll finally have a chance to edit and upload it.

Infinite small maps via Forge, or at least three good and varied small maps. Go make one! The community has already remade Lockout 100 times since Halo 4's release. You have your small maps.

Forge maps are bland and boring to watch and play on.

They have a place but when you start playing a majority of your games on those maps there is a problem. Part of what killed reach.

Also kyle's post was just amazing.

u4iX

Here's the thing about being salty, I don't really care about expressing frustration. We're definitely a rough community to deal with. It's about how you deal with it and react to it, and posting a picture of salt doesn't upset me. At all.

Now, what would upset me is if 343 receives continuous, harmonized feedback and chooses not to address it. I'm not talking about FIXING it to our liking either, but simply communicating why or why not things are getting adjusted.

They wanted us to try their changes to CTF first before they worked on what we wanted. That's a line of communication which I really appreciated. I hope the bulletin addresses some of the issues they are looking at and considering with reasons why or why not.

It is THEIR vision, but I would like to know why or why not they are looking to adjust certain things within the game.

It's like Halo 4 multiplayer has become all Arcade fight, all the time. When what I fell in love with was Limited. (Incidentally, this is exactly what happened to Firefight along the way, including the transition to Spartan Ops. It's now consequence-free combat.)

I agree with a lot of this. Whereas you used "Flow", I think a better word for my concerns are "pacing." Halo has always had a very deliberate pace, one of distinct "tension and release" looping.

Halo 4's campaign knows this well. There are many sections of the campaign where you aren't shooting anything but just wander and take it in. Firefight also did this very deliberately. You'd start, face off a wave, and then have a breather. Halo 1-3 multiplayer had this implicitly because of slow (read: non-sprint) movement speed and long (read: non-instant) spawn times created pauses in combat.

Halo 4's multiplayer and Spartan Ops have changed the game. There have been a lot of small changes, and I don't think by accident, to up the action. There are a number of tweaks that created this scenario:
  • Sprint - dramatically reduces the effective size of the maps
  • Smaller maps - None of these maps are as big as old ones, and ones that are, like Longbow have significant parts that aren't utilized at all. (I'm mostly talking about smaller Big Team Maps).
  • Instant Respawn (for other players) - I got an overkill in SWAT, but it wasn't an extermination. There are no lulls to be had by killing the other team. There is a constant threat.
  • Instant Respawn (for you) - Unless you choose it, there's no pause for you even when you die.
  • Dramatically higher number of players per map - Take the Crimson Map Pack, the small to mid-size map is going to have 16 players for Infinity Slayer. 16!
  • Load outs (for other players) - If you're in a hog and you kill someone, you had 3-5 seconds before they came back and maybe 10-30 seconds before they secured a plasma pistol or stickies to deal with you. Now they come back instantly with both. Vehicles are death traps now.
  • Load outs (for you) - With no weapons on the map in many gametypes, you no longer have to pace yourself on weapon usage or use a weapon you don't want. Another tension (I don't' have a weapon I want and need to get to it) and release (I've got the weapon now) loop that's gone.

This is even more problematic for Spartan Ops. Infinite Lives, instant respawns, damn near every weapon on the map with tons of ammo. No way to fail. But also, no break between waves. That tension of each wave and release of wave breaks is gone.

All of these together add up to a game who's pace is quite literally "non-stop". There is no "tension -> release" loop anymore. Every game feels like Fiesta to me (or as Ghal said, Arcade Fight). Too many players, too many weapons. I'll be honest and say I've had fun, but it's not the fun that I've had in the past. It's not the kind of fun that I only found in Halo.

-------------------------

Another way of looking at it is that I don't feel like things are earned anymore (or at least not to the same degree). Everything is just given to you.

• Want to always have someone to shoot?
    Instant respawns and tons of players mean you no longer have to stay alive or correctly anticipate enemy movement.
  • Want to have stickies and a plasma pistol to defeat vehicles?
    Spawn with them.
  • Wish you knew where your flag gotten taken to?
    We'll put a waypoint on the guy.
  • Want a power weapon?
    Just play how you like and we'll give you your very own. Announcing you have rockets used to be a key to map control and teamwork. Now it's pointless, because your teammates have a SAW, a binary rifle and a needler. Nobody wants to hear it.
  • Wish you knew when every wave was coming and what was in it?
    Don't worry Miller will tell you. (And Palmer will belittle him.)

I've said this about Spartan Ops: if I can't fail, then I don't feel like I've succeeded. It used to be a thrill to get a power weapon or get to the plasma pistol in time to stop a rampaging ghost. Just like it was a thrill to stay alive through a whole Firefight set. Or a thrill to find and call out the flag carrier's location to your teammates. Now I can auto-succeed, which isn't satisfying.

Tawpgun

I think the thing I want to know most is how stubborn they're going to be in addressing what we want, and keeping THEIR vision of the game.

I mean shit, we got a huge TU in Reach. But the thing with Halo 4 is these changes don't need a TU. Gimme a few hours in forge and customs and I'll make a Halo game you'll all enjoy.

ElRenoRaven

Here's the thing about being salty, I don't really care about expressing frustration. We're definitely a rough community to deal with. It's about how you deal with it and react to it, and posting a picture of salt doesn't upset me. At all.

Now, what would upset me is if 343 receives continuous, harmonized feedback and chooses not to address it. I'm not talking about FIXING it to our liking either, but simply communicating why or why not things are getting adjusted.

They wanted us to try their changes to CTF first before they worked on what we wanted. That's a line of communication which I really appreciated. I hope the bulletin addresses some of the issues they are looking at and considering with reasons why or why not.

It is THEIR vision, but I would like to know why or why not they are looking to adjust certain things within the game.

Oh I would be surprised if the bulletin didn't at least acknowledge that they are looking at feedback.

Arnie

Hint: It's not just no ADS and shields.
This is a big point. To me, Halo 4 misses on capturing Halo just as much as Reach did, which really hit me hard considering the anecdotes from Reach DLC parties where Domino spoke to some 343 employees and came away feeling really positive.

Reach swung one way, Halo 4 swung the other, and Halo as we knew it in 2001-9 exists somewhere between that. With Reach, I understood that after so many years, and a contractual obligation, Bungie were making substantial changes to the franchise to keep things fresh for themselves, as much as the players. Had they been willing to develop the franchise for the next decade, and Reach had been dubbed 'Halo 4', I honestly can't foresee the strong changes that we've experienced for the last three years. Or at least we'd get some inkling as to their thinking and design goals.

343 was a team constructed around a love for Halo, a company whereby the interview process must've centred largely around their passion for what Halo was, just like us. Yet here we are, and after their first major opportunity to demonstrate this care and appreciation for the franchise they've inherited, the pre-release rhetoric appears vastly separate from the final product.
Couldn't be that Josh is joking around. Noooooo. He has to be trying to make Gaf angry!
Come on, man.

I think the thing I want to know most is how stubborn they're going to be in addressing what we want, and keeping THEIR vision of the game.

I mean shit, we got a huge TU in Reach. But the thing with Halo 4 is these changes don't need a TU. Gimme a few hours in forge and customs and I'll make a Halo game you'll all enjoy.

Not when the custom options need an update.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Agreed 100%. Josh is a cool dude and just having a jab at the salt that exists everywhere (that surrounds the actual solid feedback) on his personal Twitter.

Come on, man.

See what u4iX wrote. It's clear he's just poking fun at us/others. We do produce a lot of salt.

TheOddOne

ibz4eTtDr9Bxi.gif

IHaveIce

Banned

good luck trying to disable instant respawns in customs :(

Also again on the Josh tweet, I wouldn't be that mad if this wasn't the first response from a developer for a long time, of course we are hard to deal with, but there were also fantastic posts by us... no reaction now we are reaction to big team maps like expected and we get that picture.. nice.

Havok

"We're removing Squad Slayer, peace. Enjoy Super Slayer, it's got Armor Lock and Forge maps. We did a test. It was pretty scientific and stuff. Results? Ehh, not for you to see. Have fun, I guess."

Harvest have some Halo Reach's backgrounds....damn.

"In addition to the Crimson Map Pack, 343 Industries today unveiled “Extraction,” a new game type that will be introduced to “Halo 4” online matchmaking day and date with the map pack on Dec. 10:"

So they held off a perfectly good gametype for a map pack?

Its looks like it, sabotage is awful enough in COD I am expecting a Light rifle and DMR overuse in that mode and of course Ordinances.

I still don't understand that part of the game

Is everyone in that station still technically alive?

No,
The composer main funtion was a failure, the minds the composer gathered were simply corrupted to be organic again, so now he used the composer to gather "materials" throwing away the organic bodies in the process. Thats why you see "cubes" floating on the corpses, it is the leftovers informacion.

i'll be honest i do wish there were more maps both sizes, 5 each is just way too low. I get that they want to make dlc and make more money that way but come on. and I love the game so its not just some crazy bashing of the game, 10 maps simply isn't a lot.

Dont get me wrong, Im sure Ill have some fun on these maps, but this is failing to get me excited. I just really wanted something closer to Haven and also something more visually fresh and varied.

Honestly, they're kind of nailing the art. I just wish they were dialing it forward instead of back. There's a lot of yellow and burnt orange in that Harvest concept art, but none of that is in the map. The punctuated blues are mostly above the player and muted. And that sort of thing is pushed throughout.

Eh, I mean look at the Shatter art.. giant Volcano, rocks made of crystal, space skybox. etc. Now look at the final version.. it looks more like Vortex with more angular rocks and a few crystals. I dunno... they just look they had these awesome designs and then reused old art assets to make something look close to the concept.. It is not doing the art justice at all, and it does not look unique or varied.

Amazing. :lol

Tawpgun

Over break (aka when I got time on time) I'm gonna try and create "Real Halo" settings and map variants. To the best that the limited options will allow it.

If someone wants to beat me to the punch, go for it.

u4iX

Over break (aka when I got time on time) I'm gonna try and create "Real Halo" settings and map variants. To the best that the limited options will allow it.

DIESEL's competitive settings v0.5

Can someone link me to the announcement of the new map pack? I must have missed it. Thanks :) And I thought they were going to announce a list of upcoming fixes and gameplay changes. Did that end up happening?

CyReN

Can someone link me to the announcement of the new map pack? I must have missed it. Thanks :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JeMNUPFlNxY

http://www.halocouncil.com/news/competitive-settings-v5

Version 5 of the Halo 4 Competitive Settings, designed by Diesel, are now available for testing! What makes these game types so special? So far they are the frontrunner for tournament-quality competition. Halo tournament organizers, such as MLG and AGL, are keeping there eye on the development of Diesel’s settings.

Again, these aren’t the final versions and you’re encouraged to to leave your feedback here.

Changes from v4

• Hardlight Shield replaces OS in Ordnance Drops
  • 150 Points for Ordnance Drop in Slayer
  • 250 Points for Ordnance Drop in Objective
  • Battle Rifle in Slot 1, DMR in Slot 2
  • Improved spawns on disc maps
  • Added King of the Hill for Adrift
Gametypes

• Cella: Slayer, Oddball, KOTH
  • Lotus: Lotus Flag
  • Simplex: Slayer, 5 Flag
  • Haven: Slayer, Oddball, KOTH
  • Abandon: Salyer, Oddball KOTH
  • Adrift: 5 Flag, KOTH
  • Station9: Extraction, KOTH
  • Solace: 3 Flag
  • Lockout: Slayer, Oddball

Download the settings at: DLESEL

aPK

Neo Member
I hate how I have to always wait for the "game-saving patch" with every Halo game released, CE being the exception.

Top Bottom