• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Rev3rb

Not really, same thing happened during Reach. During one of the first days of the Reach beta, I said bleedthrough needs to be brought back, bloom is a dumb mechanic, pistol needs to have a larger clip and made more powerful, grenades need to be weakened, Arena would be a failure, and that the map design was a mess. I'm no soothsayer, it's just anyone with a remote understanding of what makes prior Halo games great can see the faults.

monty_python_witch-701441.jpg

Tunavi

Banned
I love certain things about the MP. Slayer Pro is great, love the custom starts in infinity. But here's my criticism after a week of lots of play: 343 changed too much though, its absolutely alienating.

No more consistent weapon drops is not a good change. Halo maps used to have unique gameplay that was associated with certain weapons on the map and now that's completely gone.

Objective has pretty much been ruined. CTF botched, 1 flag gone, assault gone, ect.

No death X's, no waypoint for teammates shooting/taking fire. Really puts a damper on battlefield awareness.

Camo and jetpack STILL SUCK. Pro vision is stupidly OP. AA's need to stick to campaign and stay out of MP.

Why isn't file sharing working? It's most important closest to launch, pretty bizarre to not have it ready.

Complex is a bad map on par with Uncaged, just not as ugly.

edit: and where are the final kill cams?

Camo and jetpack STILL SUCK. Pro vision is stupidly OP. AA's need to stick to campaign and stay out of MP.
Even sticking to campaign only, they need to broaden the usage of them. I don't want to only use thruster in 10 minutes of one level, while keeping jetpack on me for the majority of 2. Let me have ample opportunities to swap them out and shift playstyles. It also doesn't help that it can be difficult to identify that there are AAs to pick up at times since they're just random blocks and pieces this time around, as opposed to packs with a hologram illustrating what they are.

Blueblur1

I love certain things about the MP. Slayer Pro is great, love the custom starts in infinity. But here's my criticism after a week of lots of play: 343 changed too much though, its absolutely alienating.

No more consistent weapon drops is not a good change. Halo maps used to have unique gameplay that was associated with certain weapons on the map and now that's completely gone.

Objective has pretty much been ruined. CTF botched, 1 flag gone, assault gone, ect.

No death X's, no waypoint for teammates shooting/taking fire. Really puts a damper on battlefield awareness.

Why isn't file sharing working? It's most important closest to launch, pretty bizarre to not have it ready.

I agree with all of that.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
If you knew you were right, you should've moved on a long time ago. You make decent points, but it's really hard to read with all the negativity.

He still likes Halo, even if he hates all the "dumb shit."

He sticks around because he's hoping it won't let him down. In his mind, he was proven right, but he will still play it (at least for now) because it's one of the best (if not the best) games on XBL right now (at least until next week).

Telling someone like Kyle, or Juices, or any of the other HaloGAFers who are complaining to "move on" is just as stupid a statement as one "DickinmouthGAF" has when they defend developers.

Rev3rb

Hardlight Shield and jetpack SUCK. Camo is stupidly OP. AA's need to stick to campaign and stay out of MP.

fixed.

I bet he's thrilled that there are a lot of problems with a game that he wants to like!

Yea I'm sure he would rather gloat than enjoy Halo like he used to.
That's not what I meant at all. I meant that he'd be gloating that the people in here who vehemently opposed him on various issues leading up to release have now for the most part shut up or are complaining about the game as well. He's been proven right.
Vindicated why? Because half of HaloGaf likes the game and half only likes the base gameplay?

Actually, I think it's more a 2:1 ratio at this point in Team Downer's favor. Regardless, that there is this much of a backlash, including people like Bobs and Ghaleon who a week and a half ago were very, very hyped for H4, says something bad about the game.

Woorloog

Banned
It's surprisingly negative in here. 4 may have some problems but the game is addictively fun

Indeed. Though i'm not surprised at the negativity, i can see why people don't like some stuff... I do love it all. Well, nearly all of it, this has some problems.
The main one being the UI, lack of red X, stuff like that.
Reach was never this addictively fun, Halo 3 was (Halo 2 was for local multiplayer, didn't care for MM though).

Suck? Yeah, no. The HLS has saved me average once per game, usually more. Almost OP if used correctly, denying a kill for an enemy. Jetpack is still jetpack, fucking annoying.

I kinda feel this screenshot mislead us about the scale on some environments in SP:

Also, I wonder what happened to the Falcon.
Well, to be fair, that was misleading yourself. There was no proper context and a lot of people here assumed the encounters would be large based off that one screenshot. That's not 343's fault. I went in expecting the overall quality and size of the encounters wouldn't match Halo 3, and for the most part that's what was given to me.

Additionally,
that screenshot is from Reclaimer, which DID have the largest encounters in the game, and contained the only encounters that came anywhere close to Halo 3's quality. And there was a reason for that – it took a lot of cues from Tsavo Highway and The Ark.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That's not what I meant at all. I meant that he'd be gloating that the people in here who vehemently opposed him on various issues leading up to release have now for the most part shut up or are complaining about the game as well. He's been proven right.

Or are like me who have been playing the game a ton and enjoying it. But I see what you mean.

edit: I just realized for years that I've been complaining about being forced to start with AR/SMG. Now in Slayer Pro, I choose to start with AR :lol

Fuck this game's weapon spawning system. Seriously. Playing big team on Valhalla (which is torture, by the way) and some dude on the enemy team continuously gets binary rifles and incineration cannons, snipers, beam rifle, everything. I got a speed boost and a saw. Can we go back to having weapons on the map please?

Woorloog

Banned
I have actually only run into hardlight shield once or twice

Should you fight to me, you're going to rage (well, i assume you wouldn't like it how i use it) at how much i use the shield. Someone shooting me? Shield and go to cover. 3 out of my 4 loadouts have the shield...

If you knew you were right, you should've moved on a long time ago. You make decent points, but it's really hard to read with all the negativity.

Hey now. At the core it's still a game worth playing. Squad Slayer kept a lot of people in Reach a lot longer than they would have been. Still not quite sure why it was axed. If you're someone who enjoys balance, longer life spans and not being killed randomly over and over, Halo was your game. They've since moved away from this philosophy and given those who prefer this stuff just enough crumbs to make us think they might care. Then when the game feels oh so close to this, it's got this added layer that shits all over the initial MM designs that people who've played since 1 fell in love with. I miss that Halo too.

When I look at just why I stuck with Halo so long, it's quite obvious, it was something I could play well, pick up whenever and kill people in without having to grind out anything or account for more than a couple variables.

Hey I said it was going to be shitty, now I'm saying it's shitty, I must be super smart and correct. I didn't present any sound arguments before and I'm not going to now.

Gazzawa

Beat it on legendary. Also got all terminals. They should have been accessed in game because they clear up a ton of stuff. Tons have said it anyhow.

Blueblur1

Or are like me who have been playing the game a ton and enjoying it. But I see what you mean.

edit: I just realized for years that I've been complaining about being forced to start with AR/SMG. Now in Slayer Pro, I choose to start with AR :lol

Well, that's purely because they made it a viable option. That's something that Bungie refused to do for some reason.

kylej

Banned
Have you played any customs? We should get together and play some customs one of these days, I want to see how it is with all the dumb stuff turned off.

we can't even play traditional Halo settings in customs can we?

also juices this is a good post

Core gameplay is all I ever hear only problem is you NEVER GET TO PLAY IT.

You play the entire game folks...not just what you think can be good. Were stuck with all this crazy ordnance, overabundance of one shot weapons, not knowing what AA trick the enemy has...

Oh and yea while I'm at it the core gameplay isn't that great. Can I get what you guys think is the CORE GAMEPLAY?

Cause to me... Gunplay and feedback is weak as hell, I never know how many shots down I am...AA's need a click sound when they are back up...kills need a dinger. Shield/hit feedback is all but gone compared to Reach's system, which is extremely sad considering we were supposed to get great hitmarkers but I only seem to notice them on far nade tosses which makes no sense how your spartan would know if you hit the opponent with a nade toss unless it could be visually seen...

Shield health is almost no seperation..An AR or SAW up close drains someone shields and health, with no distinguishable features, headshot's feel less important.

Instant Respawn and low respawn timers completely change how the gameplay is. I've literally finished off BR battles I've lost on Haven...before the enemy got their shield back... Its friggen ridiculous especially in objective gametypes. Literally wipes out map control especially on maps with tunnels and objectives. (complex)

Some gametypes have team damage on some dont.

Whats with no weapons on map? Thats pretty core to be able to RELOAD your guns. Why am I trying to find dead bodies when I am out of ammo only to find their ammo has already despawned? These are spartans in a VR world going into battle why would they only take a certain amount of ammo with them? Maybe power weapons should despawn quicker there are already a shitload of them but do you have to despawn basic weapons, I want my killing frenzy to keep going but I get screwed over running out of ammo!

Without sprint the game would play slow because movement speed/strafe isn't all that great.

Woorloog

Banned
Why can't I choose the difficulty when matchmaking on spartan ops? There is no way I'm gonna go through them on legendary solo.

Same here. And getting a party for that takes way too much work, especially since i'd have to find 3 Europeans to play with (the closer to Finland and the better the connection, the better).

senador

Banned
I'm not _that_ unhappy, I just hope 343 learns some kind of lesson, and that would necessitate people moving away quickly.

Honestly, I'm mostly bitter because of the wasted potential, not because the game is actually terrible. It's just that with around 10 to 15 small design changes, the game would easily be three times as good as it is right now.

That's a terrible thing to wish. I'm sorry you aren't having fun but I'm enjoying the hell out of it. I'm not against tweaks but this doom and gloom is ridiculous, especially your crap.

Arnie

I want to fix MP for you all. Sorry guys.

So do I, and what's most infuriating is I genuinely have enough self belief to say that I could improve it. At this point it isn't difficult, there's some basic standards that need to be resurrected, some basic elements of Halo that 343 laid to rest, which need bringing back.

Halo 4, at this point in time, to me:

Halo 1's power in gameplay.
Halo 2's soul in multiplayer. <-- Halo 2 started out rough, but got progressively better as an incredibly fun game.
Halo 3's ambition with style. <-- H4's risks such as the UI and unique, but familiar feeling everywhere throughout the game.
ODST's vision of storytelling.
Reach's balls to have its own identity.
Halo Wars' beauty in presentation.

Can't wait to play this game. Halo 4 is me.

I said this a while ago. Glad to say I still agree and am hopeful of Halo 4's potential being fully realized. There is an amazing Halo experience here, just might take some time for quite a few of you.

heckfu

Banned
Hey I said it was going to be shitty, now I'm saying it's shitty, I must be super smart and correct. I didn't present any sound arguments before and I'm not going to now.
Just because we disagree with Kyle doesn't mean that you can invalidate his arguments. He has made well-reasoned posts about what he doesn't like and deserves to voice them.

Come on, man.

Also I think he took my joke about justification a hair too seriously.

Paradicia

I'm finding it difficult getting into the groove of this compared to past halos even after nearly 18 hours playtime. My K/D is inconsistent across the board in comparison to past halo games.

Does anyone else miss that fun halo 3 style of gameplay? Not to say that 4 isn't fun but it doesn't have the same impact past games had on me personally. It's probably just nostalgia fading in, but boy do I miss the way the old games played. So many good memories. Halo 4 is a different beast altogether...

Havok

Let's do some Ragnarok math. Two Mantises, two Banshees, two Warthogs, four Mongeese, two Ghosts. Twelve vehicles. Two railguns, two sniper rifles, one rocket launcher, one laser. Six power weapons.

Why are there 14 power options, discounting the Mongeese, in a map variant that is going to have just 10 people on it in a 5v5 playlist? In what world does that make any sense at all?

I bet that map would play pretty good if it had a variant that wasn't a constant power weapon and vehicle disaster.

Woorloog

Banned
I'm finding it difficult getting into the groove of this compared to past halos even after nearly 18 hours playtime. My K/D is inconsistent across the board in comparison to past halo games.

Does anyone else miss that fun halo 3 style of gameplay? Not to say that 4 isn't fun but it doesn't have the same impact past games had on me personally. It's probably just nostalgia fading in, but boy do I miss the way the old games played. So many good memories. Halo 4 is a different beast altogether...

What do you mean? Slow and methodical? Or what?
I do know i miss something from earlier Halos... yet i enjoy this far more than anything i've played before, i think.

How the hell did Camo make it out of testing? Is there any counter to it?

Radar jammer. Look at your radar, grenades and automatics to try to light up Camo guys shields, killcam.
IMO the PromVision should should camo, whereas the holo would then counter the PromVision.

senador

Banned
So do I, and what's most infuriating is I genuinely have enough self belief to say that I could improve it. At this point it isn't difficult, there's some basic standards that need to be resurrected, some basic elements of Halo that 343 laid to rest, which need bringing back.

Arnie pls.

Radar jammer. Look at your radar, grenades and automatics to try to light up Camo guys shields, killcam.
IMO the PromVision should should camo, whereas the holo would then counter the PromVision.

And then he realized that the new and improved Camo doesn't even show the radar jammer when the camo user is crouching.

Arnie

Arnie pls.

I know I'm over simplifying it, but I'd just like to know why they felt compelled to completely reinvent the Halo formula. And what was so broken about various elements of Halo, and if that's what they thought, why they jumped at the chance to develop Halo 4?

Paradicia

What do you mean? Slow and methodical? Or what?
I do know i miss something from earlier Halos... yet i enjoy this far more than anything i've played before, i think.

I miss the slow methodical approach. Sprint on demand changes up the whole flow of how fights are won and lost.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm noticing the flinch mechanic more and more. As it's my single most hated mechanic in FPS, and the one that has kept me from playing scores of other shooters, it's disappointing and frustrating that Halo 4 added it in.

I spent a long time with Reach trying very hard to like the game, because it was Halo. I don't think I'm going to give Halo 4 as long of a shot.

That's pretty much where I am. Only, I think the break starts pretty soon.

Also: the Halo 4 OT2 is up for grabs, when the time comes. I think my time with starting and owning Halo threads is coming to a close. I put the time into them because I was passionate about the game. I'm not passionate about this game. And the passions I do have are not positive.

tumblr_mcnygry6fe1r161xrsb.gif

What the FUCK...? What is going on here?

Just...

...what?

Arnie

Sprint and instant respawn is fucking stupid. I mean, they're both poor design decisions for Halo, in isolation, but combined they're a disaster.

Let's do some Ragnarok math. Two Mantises, two Banshees, two Warthogs, four Mongeese, two Ghosts. Twelve vehicles. Two railguns, two sniper rifles, one rocket launcher, one laser. Six power weapons.

Why are there 14 power options, discounting the Mongeese, in a map variant that is going to have just 10 people on it in a 5v5 playlist? In what world does that make any sense at all?

I bet that map would play pretty good if it had a variant that wasn't a constant power weapon and vehicle disaster.

The bigger problem is they gave everybody 3x scope, matches become a game of pinging people across the map with the DMRs, hiding in rocks and getting in high location to rain DMR death down. The whole pillar of "Shoot/Melee/Grenades" is irrevocably broken. I think I can count my melee kills on that map on one hand.

Top Bottom