• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Brutes are missed. Love them from a fiction standpoint. Seeing a feral bunch of brutes go apeshit (punny) on a prom knight would of been great.

I wonder whats happening with the brutes now.

Halo 5 wishlist

Brutes
ODST
Marine Figure Head (someone like johnson)
Sgt Buck
New Prom Class (if they return)
No more watchers unless overhauled to not be a pixel aiming contest

Palmer is the new Johnson.

Palmer is the new Johnson.

I'm not feeling her.

As a S4 leader that's cool but that means the Marine element does not have a face.

ODST's feel like a huge void aswell. Not one ODST deployed on requiem? If they are trying to pretend all ODST's are S4's now i don't buy that either.

orznge

Banned
Plus reaching a broader audience for Halo was obviously their goal, while we hardcore have consistently made winning us over seem an impossible and unrewarding task, so more power to them if they do end up establishing a much broader playerbase for the future.

what is it that "hardcore" players want that's impossible to deliver? is it the ability to go from strafing one direction to the opposite fast enough that you can make someone miss a shot? is it the potential for an individual player to be powerful? is it the ability to create a map in Forge that has even a single unique visual quality? is it the addition of new mechanics that don't reek of lazy "me too" FPS buzzword incompetence?

Wow, so SWAT is not fun in this game. Also the spawning is complete horse shit, almost every time I spawned I walked two feet forward and got shot in the head.

Havok

The good news: nothing is as bad as Mission 3 from last week. That was some of the least fun I've ever had playing Halo, and nothing even comes close to that this week. Some of the problems linger, like people spawning in when you're in a horrible vantage point, but at no point did I feel like the game was totally screwing me over like with the Watcher/Crawler disaster in episode 1. On the other hand, nothing hits the highs of Land Grab from Episode 1, either.
Yup. I'm going to go into more detail on Ops when I do my summary post about the game later today, but on solo Legendary (which I am forced to do as their netcode is shit and it's been unplayable every time I've tried co-op, and matchmaking doesn't allow you to vote for difficulty so I can't even just try spamming it to see maybe if I can get a better connection with randoms) Ops is ten times more fucked than anything in Campaign. On two separate missions so far (one from last weeks, one from this weeks) my respawn has been either in the middle of multiple knights, or multiple high-level elites. Both times I would be killed practically instantly, and I couldn't even adapt because every time I respawned I would respawn in a slightly different location by a few feet, and facing a different direction. Both times I wound up just suicide-plasma grenading them over over to get past it. It's fucking terrible. I'm still flabbergasted they don't adjust difficulty for number of players. But then at the same time they don't reset you to a checkpoint if everyone dies. Bizarre.
I keep having that issue when I need to start backing away while firing, usually as sword Elites rush me (which happens more than I expected this week). You're right, if there are enemies there it needs to realize that and move your spawn back by one "checkpoint." I kind of like that it doesn't scale in most instances, if only because it turns into exactly what I would be doing if I had a Campaign Forge: put a fuckton of enemies on the screen and hit Play. When it turns into the normal unfair enemies (FRG, Binary Rifle, etc) is when I wish it would start to say "oh hey, you're only one guy maybe I'll turn it down a notch."
I'm not saying spamming Watchers is good or fun design, but you can sort of manage them by shooting each one once or twice to start them all fleeing, rather than focusing on one at a time and getting nailed by the rest.
I eventually started doing that, yeah, it's just really hard to follow up after that because they'll run to their dozen buddies that spawned a little farther away. It's just weird, is all.

I'm not saying spamming Watchers is good or fun design, but you can sort of manage them by shooting each one once or twice to start them all fleeing, rather than focusing on one at a time and getting nailed by the rest.

IHaveIce

Banned
Not if you
boost *cough cough*
Haha you are right, but I won't do that for a simple challenge
Wow, so SWAT is not fun in this game. Also the spawning is complete horse shit, almost every time I spawned I walked two feet forward and got shot in the head.

Did you play Abandon? Abandon SWAT is horrible, you get spawnkilled in seconds from camping players top mid and jungle side.

m23

Wow, sad to see so many people disappointed so much with the game. Was Reach launch this bad too?

Personally, I'm loving the game. Campaign for me is right up there for me just behind Halo CE and Halo 3. It does have its issues in campaign though, especially for people who haven't read the books since it does rely on a lot of stuff from the extended fiction. I loved that stuff though since I've read all the books. Levels 3, 5 and 7 are standouts for me.

Spartan Ops is a great deal of fun, on coop at least. Me and a friend played through the first episode on Heroic which was pretty hilarious at times. No lag automatically made this better than Reach's firefight for me. I enjoy fighting the Promtheans quite a bit, tried Chapter 3 legendary solo and was put up against 6 knights.....it took a while.

Multiplayer wise....its fun. I love the weapons, most of the maps, the sounds and most importantly the gunplay. The game does have its share of problems though ie. join in progress sucks, too many power weapons everywhere, not knowing what weapons are dropping and when etc. Instant respawn is really not a big deal for me, especially since its kept out of objective.

Overall, I'm loving the game. A few issues need to be fixed though and I hope to see those fixes soon. Now just gotta wait for that Doubles playlist.

Havok

i can't tell if this an actual quote or not...lol
Spoiler: "Here's something to shoot, Crimson!" or a variant thereof shows up no less than three times this week.

Palmer has potential, those lines certainly do not capitalize on it.
https://twitter.com/DavidEllis/status/268027314963636224

Lol at David trying to defend Spartan ops. Maybe it makes him feel better about his job that amounts to taking a campaign environment and plopping some walls down.
How does being a dick about it help anything? If you're going to criticize something, actually criticize it. We're in a lucky position here in that developers read what we have to say, and suggestions for what we think would be a better product can get to them. It's not something we should abuse.

Gazzawa

got my 1st killtacular in infinity slayer today. largely thanks to promethian vision.
lol its the first time i used it and it will be hard to go bag to lacklustrepack or whatever its called.

Shadders

Spoiler: "Here's something to shoot, Crimson!" or a variant thereof shows up no less than three times this week.

Yes, I just can't believe Palmer as a character. Every scene she's in just feels awkward. :\

Have we seen Palmer's helmet?

Why is a S4 in charge of S4's when S2's and S3's are still around likely have much more combat experience and experience as a spartan.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

Lol at David trying to defend Spartan ops. Maybe it makes him feel better about his job that amounts to taking a campaign environment and plopping some walls down.

Are you an idiot? That's not defending he's ignoring a troll.

Have we seen Palmer's helmet?

Why is a S4 in charge of S4's when S2's and S3's are still around likely have much more combat experience and experience as a spartan.

It doesn't work that way. Even in real life.

Do you see Green Berets in charge of regular infantry companies? Nope.

TheOddOne

Yep. Also mission design is still "Kill everything in sight", really wish they just took more slower paced approach and make more use of the environments. Even the campaign has those quiet beautiful sections.

senador

Banned
CG episode was decent, I enjoy them. I like Palmer actually, but let's cut the egghead crap. Once was enough. Will play the missions later. The first 5 were OK, but not what I was hoping for or expecting. I'll keep with them, and would even by a 2nd season just for more Halo, but yeah at this point I am somewhat disappointed by them.

.shin

Banned
Seriously, this isn't Waypoint/Bungie.net

Thanks for posting so I know who you are, now you and Arched are both on ignore.
Are you serious? David basically said my opinion doesn't matter because of what I tweet about. How is what I said more mean than what I originally said?

EDIT: AKA, I'm a bit offended

I really like the idea, I like the story elements, I want it to succeed. The content is just not there yet.
I'm right there with you. There are many things that need to be improved for this mode to retain any sense of replayability. As of now, the only thing bringing me back is the high xp gained from a 6 minute match.

The good news: nothing is as bad as Mission 3 from last week.
That's comforting. Have you played it solo yet? Kind of sad that solo is where this mode is the most fun, as it's just equating to shorter campaign missions that involve your particular Spartan. Palmer might as well just refer to you as Noble 6 or Rookie.

There's no need to act like an asshole.

Karl2177

Are you serious? David basically said my opinion doesn't matter because of what I tweet about. How is what I said more mean than what I originally said?

You're offended that you attacked someone and they called you out on it? Are you 5?

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

How does being a dick about it help anything? If you're going to criticize something, actually criticize it. We're in a lucky position here in that developers read what we have to say, and suggestions for what we think would be a better product can get to them. It's not something we should abuse.

Definitely not looking forward to rehashed shit and trite lines from Palmer. Hopefully it's just the "we just released the game" syndrome and shit picks up and gets better in the next few weeks.

I'd really like to "like" Spartan ops, but if it's just an afterthought, that will really be a shame.

Hopefully Ellis hears the valid complaints and takes them to heart; because when "they" said that spartan ops is basically a second campaign, that's what I was hoping for, and the first episode is anything but that.

Havok

I'm right there with you. There are many things that need to be improved for this mode to retain any sense of replayability. As of now, the only thing bringing me back is the high xp gained from a 6 minute match.

That's comforting. Have you played it solo yet? Kind of sad that solo is where this mode is the most fun, as it's just equating to shorter campaign missions that involve your particular Spartan. Palmer might as well just refer to you as Noble 6 or Rookie.
Solo is actually the only way I've played this week's episode, yeah. I'll have some coop experience later tonight over LAN (since it's pretty much unplayable for me over Live). Still nowhere near last week's frustration with E1M3, if that's what you're worried about.

Having said that, nothing in this week reaches the high of Episode 1's Land Grab, either.

.shin

Banned
You're offended that you attacked someone and they called you out on it? Are you 5?

Yep, I attacked someone by giving critism. Okay.

I understand what I said wasn't the best choice of words, but David's reply wasn't any better. But I'll stop posting because apparently I'm making everyone mad, sorry about that guys, I'll keep it to myself next time.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.

I was merely placing your comment in the proper context after noticing that your previous two tweets involved you saying you wanted to "smang it" to someone while also offering your services to lick the "clit" of someone else. I'd post screen caps, but it seems like you deleted those tweets as well as the follow up to me where you said you were only "joking."

Have a nice day!

.shin

Banned
I was merely placing your comment in the proper context after noticing that your previous two tweets involved you saying you wanted to "smang it" to someone while also offering your services to lick the "clit" of someone else. I'd post screen caps, but it seems like you deleted those tweets as well as the follow up to me where you said you were only "joking."

Have a nice day!

But why does the context of my previous tweets matter to what I said to you

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
*A wild Ghaleon appears*

I just want the input lag in Spops fixed. It's nuts.

Just one of those "halo" things depends on the connection/host.

It wasn't this bad a few days ago.

Probably has everything to do with time of the day/who is host.

Yeah maybe the locations are reused from campaign, but the encounters in Spartan Ops are way better and exciting than in Campaign, they are also more challenging.

I like it, I also have no input lag.

Lol Ninja played SWAT just now and got 3 Killtaculars and one Killtastrophe, Trueskill <3

You can't use the "truskill" joke here, the playlist literally just came out.

Is it magically supposed to know how good he is?

IHaveIce

Banned
Yeah maybe the locations are reused from campaign, but the encounters in Spartan Ops are way better and exciting than in Campaign, they are also more challenging.

I like it, I also have no input lag.

Lol Ninja played SWAT just now and got 3 Killtaculars and one Killtastrophe, Trueskill <3

Have a nice day!

David why are you being such a child? What you said to shin was down right offensive. Oh no he makes some joke tweets I guess his oppinion about your team recycling tons of missions and claiming we are getting 50 missions is worthless. David I used to respect you but honestly you can shove it.

Rev3rb

Have a nice day!

Top Bottom