• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

This is 100% unrelated to what's currently happening here (eh hmm), but why was the minimum age to post lowered? I feel like that may be a contributory factor to what all happens normally in this forum.

Do you think the minimum age would actually stop people from using gaf? I may be way off base but I can't see that actually affecting accounts.

zlatko

Banned
Speaking of W/L. My buddy is really good at this game, but I'm ass. When searching for games, if I am the group leader will it match off my shit rank or still take hsi into account?

I enjoy spartan ops not for it's quality, but just for its pure existence. It boils down the design philosophies of what video games are, games. Throwing shit tons of enemies in an area feels more bonus level than design heavy. I wish they would go in and create some horrifically challenging setups, kind of like Mile High Club, in which gamers could test their might.

MrDaravon

I think what Tunavi is looking for and what I was talking about was something like this, where on bnet on your recent games it showed at a glance what your spread was that match:

Y40hN.jpg

Waypoint only shows this:

olBuj.jpg

No spread or death count. They seem oddly afraid to ever show you your K/D or deaths anywhere. In-game the scoreboard doesn't reflect your deaths (only in post-game), and your in-game Service Record lists your Kills and Deaths, but doesn't give you a ratio. Then Waypoint only shows that above without going in further.

Speaking of W/L. My buddy is really good at this game, but I'm ass. When searching for games, if I am the group leader will it match off my shit rank or still take hsi into account?

It's a combined average that usually tilts towards the assy spectrum. Though, I believe, it also searches for similar lobbies of people.

My theory is based off of matchmaking with bad friends.

I think what Tunavi is looking for and what I was talking about was something like this, where on bnet on your recent games it showed at a glance what your spread was that match:

No spread or death count. They seem oddly afraid to ever show you your K/D or deaths anywhere. In-game the scoreboard doesn't reflect your deaths (only in post-game), and your in-game Service Record lists your Kills and Deaths, but doesn't give you a ratio. Then Waypoint only shows that above without going in further.

BKs don't like looking at all the games where they went negative, and since this game is catered to them....

One thing I noticed last night is that assassinations still happen a lot when I'm only trying to tap the melee button for a quick kill. And every time it happens, I usually pay the price and end up getting assassinated immediately after. Grrrr.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
One thing I noticed last night is that assassinations still happen a lot when I'm only trying to tap the melee button for a quick kill. And every time it happens, I usually pay the price and end up getting assassinated immediately after. Grrrr.

yeah, i never accidentally did animations in reach (or, rarely), but it seems the timing has changed, as now its rare that it doesnt do the assassination animation regardless of how quick i tap the button.

Gazzawa

I enjoy spartan ops not for it's quality, but just for its pure existence. It boils down the design philosophies of what video games are, games. Throwing shit tons of enemies in an area feels more bonus level than design heavy. I wish they would go in and create some horrifically challenging setups, kind of like Mile High Club, in which gamers could test their might.
I was gonna say something like a Boss battle.
Halo doesnt really do traditional bosses. But you know taking down a scarab in one area with vehicles jetpacks etc. Or even just some beefed up knights with a ton of health.
When i see the motion tracker fill up with watchers and crawlers it just makes me sad cuz I'm probably gonna get killed a few times.

yeah, i never accidentally did animations in reach (or, rarely), but it seems the timing has changed, as now its rare that it doesnt do the assassination animation regardless of how quick i tap the button.
The only times it seems to give me the beatdown is when I'm actually going for the assassination.

No-one complained when Firefight used Halo Reach campaign locations, but as soon as they borrow some campaign geometry for Spartan Ops that's "lazy" and "re-used"? I don't get that mentality. Spartan Ops surely had a smaller budget than the main Campaign, so it makes sense for it to share some locations.

I'm actually enjoying Spartan Ops so far. If it's any consolation...

Because FF was supposed to be mindless fun. Ops is supposed to be a second campaign that they have a very significant budget for, and this is what we get?

No-one complained when Firefight used Halo Reach campaign locations, but as soon as they borrow some campaign geometry for Spartan Ops that's "lazy" and "re-used"? I don't get that mentality. Spartan Ops surely had a smaller budget than the main Campaign, so it makes sense for it to share some locations.

I'm actually enjoying Spartan Ops so far. If it's any consolation...

Reach made coordinated teamplay more viable than Halo 4 does (for many reasons, not least of which was timed respawns), and -- for better and worse -- made dominating as an individual harder, and scored things more clearly, and didn't have JIP, and had Arena if you were so inclined. It made your win/loss ratio kind of relevant (whereas in Halo 4 it's a lot less meaningful mainly because of JIP), and the presentation of those wins and losses on Bungie.net far more coherent and appealing than they are on Waypoint.

Those things didn't excuse a lot of things that Reach did badly, but they made winning the game matter more. Almost all the incentives in Halo 4 are either deliberately designed to reward individual achievement rather than team accomplishment or unintentionally cause the latter to be less viable.

Winning did not really matter in Reach. Without rank I know I didn't care. I just played when my friends begged me to play. Reach wasn't fun. Halo 4 is fun, but I feel like a lot of the competitiveness(at least in terms of tactics) has been lost.

.shin

Banned
Hey, why did they remove the "Waiting to Respawn" message in co-op? Often times my partners would be dead and I wouldn't notice until they told me when it is too late.

Tawpgun

Y40hN.jpg

olBuj.jpg

Bungie: Let's give our fans more information in an easy to read format.
343: MAKE EVERYTHING BIGGER

343 UI guys need more practice. Not up to Bungie standards.

zlatko

Banned

I almost wish assassination animations were part of your character customization and unlock them, so I could always get the one where you lay down on top of them. Makes it harder to get shot while doing it.

I was gonna say something like a Boss battle.
Halo doesnt really do traditional bosses. But you know taking down a scarab in one area with vehicles jetpacks etc. Or even just some beefed up knights with a ton of health.
When i see the motion tracker fill up with watchers and crawlers it just makes me sad cuz I'm probably gonna get killed a few times.

What I'm talking about is a boss area. The level itself is the boss. With the advent of unlimited respawn would it not be fair to boost the challenge?

Is the Railgun not capable to damage the Mantis? I know Tashi missed that shot but hey, it does not mean that the Mantis has a force field which diverts the trajectory of the Railgun projectile.

Of course, I was just listing weapons from the top of my head. Forgot about the (glorious) Railgun.

so guys wife is asking me what I want for xmas, and so far I know I'm asking for Cryptum. Was curious if anyone had any opinions on the following:

Halo Encyclopedia
Halo The Essential Visual Guide
Building Better Worlds: The Art of Halo
Awakening: The Art of Halo 4

Just reading reviews, the opinion on the encyclopedia and the visual guide is either hate one and love the other

Of course, I was just listing weapons from the top of my head. Forgot about the (glorious) Railgun.
I just wanted to make a "Tashi missed the Mantis with the Railgun" joke. haha.
so guys wife is asking me what I want for xmas, and so far I know I'm asking for Cryptum. Was curious if anyone had any opinions on the following:

Halo Encyclopedia
Halo The Essential Visual Guide
Building Better Worlds: The Art of Halo
Awakening: The Art of Halo 4

Just reading reviews, the opinion on the encyclopedia and the visual guide is either hate one and love the other
If you like the artworks 343i has released so far and the art direction of Halo 4, then Awakening: The Art Of Halo 4 is a must buy.

So much for throwing the oddball off the edge is a bad strategy.
Kids just camped at a base, threw the ball off when we got close, ball spawned at their spawn point 2/3 times.

Yeah I'm not going to devote one of my loadouts to countering a terribly OP vehicle. That thing gives way too much power to s single player.

It's considerably less OP than the Scorpion tanks you've been dealing with online since 2004. Just be aware of where it's positioned and stay the hell away from it. You can team-shoot it with DMR/BR from across the map and cripple it pretty quickly. It's weapons aren't good at long range.

I've been killed much more often by Banshee on Ragnarok than I have Mantis.

The Grunts (in Halo 3) certainly go kamikaze if their leaders die, very predictable.
I'll only comment on this last thing, because either I'm not articulating my points effectively enough or you're just not understanding them. It kind of seems like you're arguing just to argue. Also, it's kind of pointless for me to say stuff about campaign when I haven't fully articulated my own reasoning for disliking it, and that helps no one. So until that time I'll keep my mouth shut about it.

But I will say this: What you have here is wrong. When a leader is killed, some Grunts will kamikaze, some will scatter, and some will keep firing. Or they may all kamikaze! You don't know. That was part of the fun.
Can we refrain from singling out and attacking individuals, even if we are disappointed?
Seriously. It's very easy to get mad at abstractions and ideas over the internet. As I said yesterday:
I think you're being unfair here. If you got to talking to some of the fine folks at 343 you'll realize they're just people who want to work on Halo. With Halo 4 they set out to develop what they think makes for a good Halo game. If you disagree with that, then, well, what are you gonna do? It's their franchise to do with what they want, and it's their game.
I'd bet anything that the people here are most vocal to the individuals at 343 who put themselves in the community would be far more tamed in their criticism if they had a chance to say it in person.
Before I go any further, know that I, too, from time to time say "no one" when I really mean "very few people."

That being said, there were people complaining about reusing assets when Reach did it. I remember because I was one of them. When Reach came out and when I spent some time with it, I came to not like the use of campaign spaces for multiplayer and Firefight. I still don't like the decision. My reasoning at the time was that playing those spaces so many times in MP and Firefight would lead to me being tired of those spaces when I came across them in campaign...and that's exactly what happened. I never look forward to the Firefight/MP spaces in Reach's campaign.

Halo 4 SWAT is a LOT of fun, but movement speed is too slow. This playlist may actually need some forge maps to cater towards it.

Edit: I suppose that was just on one map. The rest of the maps have normal movement speed.

Edit: Edit: These maps are just plain too big. There's no action going on in the map.

Gah, don't need childish kids slinging insults at people.

Re: Reach FF Campaign - They're largely spaces you just run through in the campaign as well, which made it feel really bizarre.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Yeah I'm not going to devote one of my loadouts to countering a terribly OP vehicle. That thing gives way too much power to s single player.

shrug, no more then a wraith or scorpian really. whatevs.

Ryaaan14

Banned
SWAT is up? Oh lawd. Busy night incoming.

So are playlists going to be updated weekly now? Is SWAT just added in, or did it replace something?

Probably been posted, but if you have the xbox smartphone app running, when you go edit the name of a map or replay, the text input keyboard will pop up on your phone's screen and you can type in from there. Very handy and comfy.

Which phone? It'd be a godsend if I could do this for iOS.

Also: 343 has the potential for good writing, but I feel like Palmer is a wasted opportunity so far. They're trying to force her into a Johnson.

Wait.

...they're trying to instantly turn her into this awesome kickass character who doesn't have time for eggheads or nonsense or covies, but it's making her lines seem almost... condescending to the player. We're not getting any deep intel, nothing really story-related saved for one button an episode, nothing with real substance. It's just "alright Crimson, new baddies just dropped in! More for you to kill!" and I feel like it's really taking it in the wrong direction. We need a few more notable marines/Spartans because right now it seems like everyone's just a meathead bent on killing.

They should widen her vocabulary a bit too. If they made a top 5 list of the most used words in spartan ops it'd probably be:

1. Eggheads
2. Extraction
3. Point
4. Waypoint
5. Kill

/rant

I know this will probably get some flak, but I think when everything's said and done (as in, right up to Halo 5's release) Halo 4 will probably have some of the best multiplayer in the franchise as of yet. Certainly you guys aren't forgetting how Halo 2 started out?

MrBig

It's considerably less OP than the Scorpion tanks you've been dealing with online since 2004. Just be aware of where it's positioned and stay the hell away from it. You can team-shoot it with DMR/BR from across the map and cripple it pretty quickly. It's weapons aren't good at long range.

I've been killed much more often by Banshee on Ragnarok than I have Mantis.

shrug, no more then a wraith or scorpian really. whatevs.

It has the power of a scorpion and a warthog taped together, a relatively large degree of agility, and an area of effect defense mechanic to fend off anyone who didn't choose the right loadout as they go in to board it, as it hides behinds rocks and hits players from across the map. That's all fine and dandy and I'd be ok with it if there was a direct way to counter it that didn't rely on the chance of an ordinance drop or being forced to use some abject loadout. Why isn't there always an Incineration Canon, Rockets, or Laser at the top of the mid rocks as there was before?

It has the power of a scorpion and a warthog taped together, a relatively large degree of agility, and an area of effect defense mechanic to fend off anyone who didn't choose the right loadout as they go in to board it, as it hides behinds rocks and hits players from across the map. That's all fine and dandy and I'd be ok with it if there was a direct way to counter it that didn't rely on the chance of an ordinance drop or being forced to use some abject loadout.

Wait, are you saying you're upset there's not a hard 1v1 counter to the Mantis when you're on foot and it's considered a "heavy" vehicle like the Scorpion or Wraith? What?

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
So did anyone else get absolutely worked last night in the King of Hill playlist getting matched up against Tashi, Omlet, Ram and Nutter?

No time in the hill, and went 5 and 11. Ouch. haha

Top Bottom