• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

S1kkZ

Spartan Ops was disappointing. Haven't watched the CGI yet as my internet is capped, but the levels were pretty sad... Adding some crates and making us do the same missions as last week backwards isn't exactly what I was expecting.

so, you expected they program brand-new levels each week? for free?
while i think they could do much more with the existing levels (change them a bit more), its unrealistic to expect new levels every week.

Shadders

Dr Glassman from the Spartan Ops video, is he voiced by the guy who did Otacon in MGS?

so, you expected brand new levels each week? for free?

Whilst I did expect re-use, or at least expected to revisit places (I'd expect them to be visually different from week to week), I can understand why people would have expected 5 new locations each week based on what 343 have said.

Omni

so, you expected they program brand-new levels each week? for free?
while i think they could do much more with the existing levels (change them a bit more), its unrealistic to expect new levels every week.
For free? Are you kidding me? Spartan Ops is part of the game I paid for. Nothing about it is free.

Eh. I will reserve my full judgement until next week, but if 343i are going to be using the same 5 or 6 maps for the next 10 weeks I'm pretty sure I would've preferred Firefight.

90 right here as well

I still don't understand how people don't think Halo 4 is the best halo campaign to date. it was incredible
I'll definitely do a huge writeup about this sometime down the line (maybe December-ish), but setting aside the possibility that you're trolling, and if I want to be short, it's because the gameplay is boring. And it's boring because that thirty seconds of fun isn't there. The combat in the game is a war of attrition, focused on whittling down the health of entrenched enemies (the Prometheans especially), rather than a tug of war that allows the fight to evolve in a particular space.

Load up the Brute Hallway in Halo 3 and it's blatantly obvious what's missing.
So after playing some games tonight.

Boltshot needs to get the fuck out from loadouts. The thing is a headshot capable mauler. Ellis himself said 343 believes power weapons are anything that can kill you in one shot...
Noooooooooooo! I love the Boltshot; don't do this! I don't think it's overpowered because I find it hard enough to use the secondary shotgun option. That would remove so much of my enjoyment out of the game.
What Halo 4 was missing was a "Silent Cartographer" like level, heck even Reach kind of had it with "Winter Contingency".
What it's missing is the thirty seconds of fun, which is far more important that any type of level. :(

S1kkZ

Dr Glassman from the Spartan Ops video, is he voiced by the guy who did Otacon in MGS?

Whilst I did expect re-use, or at least expected to revisit places (I'd expect them to be visually different from week to week), I can understand why people would have expected 5 new locations each week based on what 343 have said.

343 has said we will mostly visit campaign locations and some new ones.

Woorloog

Banned
For free? Are you kidding me? Spartan Ops is part of the game I paid for. Nothing about it is free.

Eh. I will reserve my full judgement until next week, but if 343i are going to be using the same 5 or 6 maps for the next 10 weeks I'm pretty sure I would've preferred Firefight.

I know that even if SpOps just reuses levels (which is unacceptable IMO, especially with this shitty netcode) i wouldn't not prefer Firefight, because we can be 110% sure we wouldn't have gotten ODST-like survival Firefight back, because such survival modes do not fit multiplayer, they do not accomondate join in progress (what's the survival if you get new people every few minutes?) and because they last too long.
Reach's shooting gallery Firefight can go to hell, it is not Firefight.

If SpOps reuses more levels, i'm going to just say "Fuck you 343i". The game has exceeded my expectations but the thing i was most interested in, SpOps, isn't very good. There is far less story than i expected, the missions are rather uninteresting (because they don't have any special stuff like "sneak through the enemies"), and the shitty netcode...

Omni

If you don't use the DMR in SWAT, you're going to have a bad time.

Plus the maps are far too big and everyone just camps.

Why was I not informed of this?!

outcmd0n.gif

Also looking at the art of H4, there is concept art for the SMG. Shame it didn't go past that stage.

Is it the entire of Episode 1 reversed? because that means we have been at least 1 of those environments 3 different times.

Which kinda sucks.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ok which file do I have to delete for Disc 2?

I will maybe have to reinstall it again, it is just painful not being able to play.

Oh what a beta could have saved :/

Woorloog

Banned
The combat in the game is a war of attrition, focused on whittling down the health of entrenched enemies (the Prometheans especially), rather than a tug of war that allows the fight to evolve in a particular space.

Load up the Brute Hallway in Halo 3 and it's blatantly obvious what's missing.

Really? You mean that motor pool section in Crow's Nest? The Brutes were fucking entrenched there. Sure, they tried to look for you but clever movement made them go back. It was a patience fight, where one whittles away their members one by one.
And the barracks afterwards, the same thing.
This was a problem in Halo 3 in general, the AI was too passive, needed to be tricked to come after you (because the Brute's pack mechanic didn't really work, they didn't send out others to flush me from cover except in certain areas, not dynamically). Halo 4's AI has the same issue, that i'll give you.

Tug of war? My Halo experience hasn't never been that. Never. I've played all the games, all difficulties, solo and co-op, and never ever its been tug of war. I either steamroll or i whittle the enemies away one by one while sitting as far as i can from the enemies, depending on the location and/or difficulty.

I find Halo 4's campaign very good (most due to story), the gameplay's pretty much the same as ever but with slightly too passive AI, easiest game on the series. Still going to be playing it again and again.
At least it is better than Reach.

Oh what a beta could have saved :/

Not really... Well, some UI woes for sure but the gameplay would have gotten small tweaks at most (think Reach). Nothing that would save Halo 4 in the eyes of those who don't like the game, i reckon.

Woorloog

Banned
Was talking about Server and connection issues.

Gameplay would pretty much be the same, but it would be interesting to think about how Halo 4 would have looked if Halo Reach wasn't there

Ah, i see.

You know Bungie considered making Halo 4 at first? But then opted for a prequel.
I would have liked to see what Bungie would have made for the Chief but... well, i doubt their Halo 4 would have been that good, as good as Halo 3 that is, Reach suffered from Bungie being clearly (IMO, debatable really) kinda bored with Halo.

Really? You mean that motor pool section in Crow's Nest? The Brutes were fucking entrenched there. Sure, they tried to look for you but clever movement made them go back. It was a patience fight, where one whittles away their members one by one.
And the barracks afterwards, the same thing.
This was a problem in Halo 3 in general, the AI was too passive, needed to be tricked to come after you (because the Brute's pack mechanic didn't really work, they didn't send out others to flush me from cover except in certain areas, not dynamically). Halo 4's AI has the same issue, that i'll give you.

Tug of war? My Halo experience hasn't never been that. Never. I've played all the games, all difficulties, solo and co-op, and never ever its been tug of war. I either steamroll or i whittle the enemies away one by one, depending on the location and/or difficulty.

I find Halo 4's campaign very good (most due to story), the gameplay's pretty much the same as ever but with slightly too passive AI, easiest game on the series. Still going to be playing it again and again.
At least it is better than Reach.
*sigh* This is what happens when I'm short on a critical flaw within Halo 4's gameplay.

Woorloog

Banned
*sigh* This is what happens when I'm short on a critical flaw within Halo 4's gameplay.

There is no critical flaw. Sure, it has flaws: aforementioned AI passivity, PromKnights incredible endurance (though i'd note that Ultra Elites in Halo 2 and Reach are just as bad), some weak encounter design (each Halo has this, and overall Halo 3 is still best in this regard), lack of truly new element to sandbox (AAs are just like in Reach, too rare, too pointless), according to some the game has too scarce ammo (bullshit, people just can't plan), Reach's health system for vehicles... I coud go on and on. But there is no single critical flaw.

I still maintain that my Halo experience has never been tug of war though, don't understand how it could be that, don't get what is this tug of war in Halo.
I can still remember my first times playing Halo CE, i steamrolled or stayed back...

neoism

I sort of hope that people move away from Halo 4 very quickly and the sales of map packs and future spartan ops seasons will be poor. Maybe 343 will reconsider for Halo 5 then.

It's just so disappointing how they were/are deaf to all feedback and even refused to make a beta. Most of this could have been avoided.

yeah if 5 doesn't have a beta... they are lost..

Campaign
H3>H1>H4>Reach>H2
Story
H3>H1>H2>H4>Reach
MP
Reach>>H3>H4>H2

Reach is still meh favorite, the story wasn't that great but the MP will always be the best to me, the gun mechanics and game-play in halo 4 is amazingly well done though, shame the whole game doesn't have that polishy feel to it...

I'm not sure if my xbox is fucked(old), but I did try another one on my TV but the streaming thing they do in this game for textures is terrible... Reach sounds, feels, and looks more like a halo game this is its own thing which is good in a way....All the halos had a certain pace to them.. 3 really had the best pace...The only word I can describe the pace of this game is frantic and that is all the randomness put in the game that wasn't their even in Reach.
The story was good, but most of the campaign wasn't... I said the word copypasta to my brother and he agreed. lol the egm guy wasn't far off..lol I just didn't want to believe my halo was gone, but it is... :'(

Bungie>>343... Destiny can't come soon enough

Gazzawa

Ep2 was ok. Glitched out for me one one mission(it went black but it wouldn't leave the game).
I hope ep3 has lots of new locations.
Wouldn't mind longer cutscenes.

IHaveIce

Banned
Oh my god I did it, I fixed it.

Rod Lane KOTC-NJHALO ‏@NJROD
HALO Players - MLG Gametypes and Maps can be found on these XBL accounts Njhalo dot com or NJHALOKOTC.

Thought maybe someone is interested

Seance

Banned
Halo 4 isn't very fun. :(

Insta spawn (Nothing quite like killing a guy who gets you to one shot only for him to get a lucky spawn and finish you off immediatly).
no weapons on map (except for random ordnance)
weapons disappearing
Bad maps
AA's
Net code

I just played ep 2 of spops....................lol. Followed by SWAT. SWAT doesn't work in this game, especially with insta-spawn, sprint and these huge poorly designed maps.

On the plus side, pretty grafix.

Pop

MP
Reach>>H3>H4>H2

My GOD!
tumblr_m0sxosvTpy1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

No wonder you don't like great games.

Halo 4 isn't very fun. :(

Insta spawn (Nothing quite like killing a guy who gets you to one shot only for him to get a lucky spawn and finish you off immediatly).
no weapons on map (except for random ordnance)
weapons disappearing
Bad maps
AA's
Net code

I just played ep 2 of spops....................lol. Followed by SWAT. SWAT doesn't work in this game, especially with insta-spawn, sprint and these huge poorly designed maps.

On the plus side, pretty grafix.
-It's maybe happened once in my 100+games, surely you're exaggerating
-No weapons on map does piss me off, hopefully we can get classic playlist with that in mind
-Weapons disappearing is for so everyone in Infinity doesn't have a power weapon. I go into Infinity with the same mindset of Social playlist, just go have fun and goof off
-Maps are excellent besides maybe Complex and Vortex
-AA's aren't too bad but I much rather play classic myself
-Net Code is wonderful, idk what you're trying to get at here. Much better than any other Halo game or xbl game for that matter

I don't see what's so laughable about Spops. 343i didn't even have to do this for Halo. It's suppose to be a story not firefight. Takes place 6 months after campaign, has everyone forgot about this.

You know I hated Swat in H3 or Reach, just don't like that at all. But you know Swat works really well in H4. If we didn't have sprint, imagine how long it would take to get across map. Sprint is fine in Halo. Again maps aren't horrible, the designs are perfectly fine.

I get it, this is the cycle of Halo titles. When a new one comes out, people will bash it no matter what. They give us BR back and hitscan. Weapons feel great, hit exactly where you aim. Look I've said it before but it's only been a week.

Yep. In even an average game of Halo 4, the following things can be one hit kills: Plasma Grenade, Boltshot, Shotgun, Scattershot, Sword, Hammer, Rockets, Gauss Cannon, Scorpion Cannon, Banshee Bomb, Mantis Rocket, Splatter, Sticky Detonator, Railgun, Spartan Laser, Sniper Rifle, Beam Rifle, Binary Rifle, and the Incineration Cannon. I may have forgotten something. The needler, in any open space, is certified death too, it just takes a split-second longer than the above. And my opponent can have any of these unexpectedly at almost any time. They can spawn with two of them. And even if I kill someone bearing these ungodly gifts, he can respawn and rush back to finish me before my shield recharges.

Everything in Halo 4 is reactive: something is always happening faster than you could reasonably anticipate or plan against, and you have to respond immediately or die. No longer do I coordinate something with teammates and execute it, and if we try to do that something will happen midway through that causes that plan to spiral off in some completely unexpected direction, because of a surprise AA or an unpredictable personal ordnance threat. I can't keep people informed about who has what and where or when, because ordnance and instant respawn means that information is outdated in seconds. I can't tell them who or what is on my X, because I don't have an X, and anyway whatever it is won't be there in 12 seconds. I don't have to tell them where I'm running the flag, or where our enemies are running the flag, because that information is available to all in a way that forces those decisions to be less interesting.

And if the game isn't objective-based, there is nowhere I have to be. I don't have to move out of cover. I don't have to leave a fortified position. There is no predictable resource that my enemies can take from me (apart from some vehicles on the bigger maps, though I don't know if they're on a predictable timer) if I simply turtle and rack up my own personal ordnance. The map's flow is solely toward those locations where I can hole up with buddies and camp -- even spawn camp -- attackers. In a game where everyone can spawn with a 3x scope weapon and has regular access to three weapons that kill in one instant shot across the map, movement is downright risky. The only reason to move is to get back to whichever familiar front it is you are either attacking or defending currently (e.g. Complex rooftops, middle base on Vortex, the 'hill' in Longbow). It's the top of Ivory Tower on Halo 2 writ large, only no rockets and sword spawn below. They spawn in the hands of the team on the top floor, because they're already winning. The fact that I'm on that team more often than not doesn't make it any more fulfilling.

Edit: Fuel Rod Cannon. The Fuel Rod Cannon is also a one-hit kill.

Edit 2: And the Wraith's shell.

Hopefully one isn't Sniper Alley backwards, because that's already in campaign.

Land Grab is The First Area of Reclaimer or very close to it
Sniper Alley is the second area
The Challenge is very similar to the 1st tower from Requiem with some altered ground
Sacred and The Core are the only 100% new areas.

There is no critical flaw. Sure, it has flaws: aforementioned AI passivity, PromKnights incredible endurance (though i'd note that Ultra Elites in Halo 2 and Reach are just as bad), some weak encounter design (each Halo has this, and overall Halo 3 is still best in this regard), lack of truly new element to sandbox (AAs are just like in Reach, too rare, too pointless), according to some the game has too scarce ammo (bullshit, people just can't plan), Reach's health system for vehicles... I coud go on and on. But there is no single critical flaw.

I still maintain that my Halo experience has never been tug of war though, don't understand how it could be that, don't get what is this tug of war in Halo.
I can still remember my first times playing Halo CE, i steamrolled or stayed back...
There is a critical flaw, and it's the lack of that thirty seconds of fun. You're getting yourself hung up one element that I didn't go into much detail, though I should if I'm going to say anything about it (the Brutes DO flush you out in the hallway, by the way, I replayed it last night to help clarify my thoughts on Halo 4's combat). The gameplay is not the same – there are some of the same elements at play, but those are wrapped in a different package. Some factors aren't even there at all, like the unpredictability of the principal antagonist upon near death: in Halo 3, for example, you couldn't be sure if a Brute would either berserk at you or keep firing his weapon. It's a wonderful way to reward the player for fighting an enemy. This investment doesn't come into play with the Knights or the Elites in Halo 4.

Then there's the poor feedback system, the lack of unit cohesion among the Forerunner enemies, and lots of other factors that I'm working on clarifying my thoughts about.

neoism

So brave.

lol meh I've always loved Reach...I probably wont quit 4 completely I did spend 20 on maps when I thought I could love this game, and hype sadly got to me.... But I had 2 solid months the first 2 months of release for reach... I'm a noob not afraid to admit it, those cod bks were nice to play against, but in two days they are gone....gaf customs ( i loved that map Sai played on with everyone, the first few days of release.. had jetpacks in the sky with power weapons fucking fun as hell) and mp for me was the funniest I ever had with a halo game. AL was terribad, but Reach is tame in its randomness compared to H4..the newness hasn't worn off yet...but when it does I wont be playing this game much more. Hopefully more playlists and glitch fixes that shouldn't be in a halo game, well keep me coming back I hope...

feel

Probably been posted, but if you have the xbox smartphone app running, when you go edit the name of a map or replay, the text input keyboard will pop up on your phone's screen and you can type in from there. Very handy and comfy.

kylej

Banned
I would say Slayer Pro Reach is better than anything in Halo 4. Both have absolutely terrible maps, but in terms of mechanics, the former is much more of the Halo I want to play. Fixed spawn locations (even if slightly randomized), better player feedback in firefights, no armor abilities, 10 second respawns, fixed weapon locations and timers, etc. Team Slayer Pro in Halo 4 is still FFA, only with slightly less shit thrown in the mix.

Pop

lol meh I've always loved Reach...I probably wont quit 4 completely I did spend 20 on maps when I thought I could love this game, and hype sadly got to me.... But I had 2 solid months the first 2 months of release for reach... I'm a noob not afraid to admit it, those cod bks were nice to play against, but in two days they are gone....gaf customs ( i loved that map Sai played on with everyone, the first few days of release.. had jetpacks in the sky with power weapons fucking fun as hell) and mp for me was the funniest I ever had with a halo game. AL was terribad, but Reach is tame in its randomness compared to H4..the newness hasn't worn off yet...but when it does I wont be playing this game much more. Hopefully more playlists and glitch fixes that shouldn't be in a halo game, well keep me coming back I hope...

Really?

Reach had plenty of randomness-bloom, jetpack super high, terrible maps(lets camp this one lift all game), weapons didn't work(bloom), Armor Lock(worst addition to a Halo game ever), spawns were horrible in Reach

H4 randomness occurs with Ordnance drops in Infinity but still don't seem no where near as bad as reach mess. Play something without personal drops, Infinity is meant for good ol' casual fun, nothing more. Hit detection is great in H4 with any weapon. It baffles me seeing how much negative is coming towards H4 way.

Top Bottom