• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Is it just me or is the radar ridiculously overpowered? Why hasn't there been more backlash for it, it seems like the kind of thing that would really anger the core Halo fanbase?

S1kkZ

Ahh, that makes sense :) I think that I'm just in denial, haha.
I just can't imagine Halo without Cortana to be honest. She gives that little something to the story

she is not gone. she was able to talk to the chief and protect him in the "light bubble", long after the composer was blown up. i guess she is now part of the forerunner domain. hell, she was in so many terminals/computers on requiem, she must have left some copies there.

Overdoziz

Banned
What probably bugged me the most about Halo 4's campaign is
that 5 years later, Halo 3 still has the biggest battles. Why don't get get to fight half a dozen wraiths, choppers and ghosts with our own 3 tanks, and a couple of Warthogs? Halo 4 doesn't even come close to that kind of scale, especially when you take the Scarab battles into account. Instead we get a cheap Scarab knock-off which you can board by simply going up the lift or jetpacking up and it doesn't even move around. Then you clear the enemies and destroy the core only to see that it doesn't explode until it's position right above the abyss and when it does there's a small poof and the entire ship is completely gone. Not even chunks of the ship falling down, nope just a small explosion and the entire thing evaporated.

I think this 'Scarab' battle clearly shows the difference between (pre-Reach) Bungie and 343. Where Bungie gives you the Scarab which you can approach in a ton of different ways and is much more dynamic and fun to take down. 343 gives you a Lich which is a static vehicle which you can only approach in one (maybe two) ways and which explodes in a scripted and unsatisfying way. It's a half-asses attempt at creating a new Scarab and I'm pretty sure we only even see it pop up once during the entire campaign which makes it feels kind of out of place.

Halo 4's story explains absolutely nothing well at all. I watched Halo Legends and played Halo 1-3 leading up to 4. Nope, I should have read the latest books it seems.

Campaign spoilers ahoy:
The word Cryptum is seemingly never spoken in the game. If you didn't know what the significance of that orb was from reading the books, it is never explained at all.

Chief and Cortana somehow identify the being as the Didact. How exactly? They just start calling him the Didact.

How does Chief instinctively know the Librarian is not a threat?

Took me a while to grasp the Composer was not another person.

The Terminals did not help all that much either because this was all stuff that leads up to the events of one of the books or something.

I must scavenge the spoiler thread for clarity I guess?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
the campaign fucking
ro
cks

I'm rally surprised that people don't like it.
It's not like I wanted to feel that way. :( In the last thread, I was grasping at straws trying to find something I was missing (like lore/story) that kept me from enjoying it. I watched the terminals, and that helped colour in a better light (they honestly should have been viewable in-game - really, really dumb move), but it has fundamental problems. I didn't have the same problems as Ghaleon on Heroic (bansees, infinite crawlers), but that may be because I was power-gaming. I found that I could skip or exploit a ton of encounters and had no qualms doing it. I wish I had held myself back and forced my way through every annoying fight against elites who seemed less intelligent than previous games (by the third mission I honestly thought "Well, these guys are probably religious zealots and not soldiers"), and Knights who are completely boring and braindead. That doesn't sound like a solution, but I would've done anything to actually enjoy it.

I think my biggest issues are with the music, the story and the Prometheans. The music, as many have noted, is muted and often times completely forgettable. I thought it may have been my Dolby settings messing with the sound levels, so I set it to bypass, and that didn't change anything. I still wasn't getting pumped by the score.

The story, well, I covered that problem - the terminals needed to be explored in-game. I haven't read the books, so all I know about the Didact was the minor mention in H3 terminals. So his constant voice-overs later in the game were more of an annoyance, similar to Star Fox 64's heckles from the Star Wolf squads or the horrible placations from the prime evils in Diablo 3. I didn't really know why he hates humanity, I didn't know why he was trapped, I didn't know why he was able to all of a sudden control the Prometheans. Going in blind, he was a shitty absent villain without a purpose.

Prometheans are just bad. Going to my campaign stats:

I died 7 times to Jackals and Elites in M4.
19 times to Jackals, Elites and Grunts in M5.
20 times to Jackals, Elites an Hunters in M6.
12 times to Jackals, Elites and Hunters in M7.
33 times to Crawler and Knights in M8 (Half of that is me trying to corral Crawlers into a group of three for the Achievements, suiciding when I had killed too many).

Including my achievement hunting, the Promethean killcount comes to 33, all during the last mission. They simply aren't interesting enemies to fight. Crawlers are like mobile grunts, except they're almost always facing you directly and make headshots incredibly simple to pull off. Their weapons are also peashooters, whereas I can actually fear a Grunt with an overcharged plasma pistol/needler if he has a squad near him.
Knights are... I don't know what. If I had to nail them down I'd say they're like Space Pirates in Metroid Prime 1. They have the same random fast melee lunge, and they mostly stay in a static position firing until they perform a canned transportation move (Space Pirates would randomly lunge, Knights teleport). I guess you could say they're mostly on the defensive. For the life of me, I couldn't get them to leave their posts in the room after you get the Gravity Hammer.

Man, that room. I think it explains every problem I have with the Prometheans. They seem overly scripted. Even if you fire on the crawlers, they won't move up to the top level in groups greater than three. They're normally rushing everywhere else in the game (like the area just before, where they spawn infinitely), but here, they don't. Likely because that behaviour wasn't scripted in. The Knights always stay in their designated area (two inn the middle and two in the lower area), so you can peg them off easily from the top. And a single watcher just hovers in an open area on the bottom level, waiting to be shot, wishing I'd forget and throw a grenade to make its only trademark ability shine.

I really hope they don't come back in their current form. I get the feeling they're the reason I'm going to give up on Spartan Ops mid-way through the season too. I only had trouble with them in the 4th SpOps mission when Watchers and Crawlers are constantly appearing, and that's because I probably destroyed the portals too quickly (you can stand outside one portal building and shoot out the ones opposite to it).

senador

Banned
My friends who have never really given a shit about Halo campaigns are all amped up on it and were asking me questions about it and are wanting to play it again. So there's that.

I'm really enjoying multiplayer so far. Here's a few quick thoughts:

Ragnarok gets voted for waaaay too much. I like the map but I want to play the others. I've only played most of the new maps a few times.

Complex sucks for slayer but I enjoy it for CTF despite the odd flag locations.

CTF is damn fun. I love being the flag carrier. It's definitely my favorite mode and the most competitive and intense so far. I feel the flag return time is too long though. It's nearly impossible to return it many times because all they have to do is get it a bit further each time. I've killed entire teams coming for it and they still get it. I guess the strategy is too keep them busy at that while your team pushes to get caps faster?

I thought the BR would suck based off talk before launch but its my most used weapon. I love it. I only switch to DMR on really large maps. I really like the Carbine too. All weapons feel really good and are actually worth a damn. The only one I haven't figured out is the sticky detonator.

What's up with Infinity Slayer staring games of 3v3 more often than not? Also, I though that playlist was going to be 5v5?

CyReN

6uLFF.png

Omni

I <3 Adrift. Reminds me of something you'd find in Halo 3, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

and hmm. Now that I've unlocked the MK VI, I wish there was a classic MK V in the game. Always liked it more than the VI.

Gui_PT

12 OT's

I've been playing Halo at a store which is the best I can do at the moment.

I've finished 4 levels. The scale of everything is amazing and the graphics are awesome but the levels feel a bit repetitive.

You have somewhere to go, but you have to activate something before going there. That happens way too many times.

And the combat, while nice, is nothing special. Too repetitive and most of the new enemies are too easy to kill.

Still enjoy it though. Lots of fun and bonArs.

not that anyone cares wut I think

PS: Played MP today. Went +40 every game. Made everyone in the room quit. Feels good.

Omni

They would've put shield doors on it in that game.

Haha, true.

///

Random, but why can't we have our own colours in Infection? I tried it out in matchmaking and then customs and I couldn't find a way to change it. Being bright green is pretty stupid. Always liked that you could see your armour and whatnot the way it was supposed to be in Reach.

Shield recharge time is ridiculously long. For such a fast paced game you want shields to be recharging as you exit an encounter.

Feels like im dying a lot because rather than camp and wait I want to get into the next engagement... im held back by my shields.

Schmitty

Shield recharge time is ridiculously long. For such a fast paced game you want shields to be recharging as you exit an encounter.

Feels like im dying a lot because rather than camp and wait I want to get into the next engagement... im held back by my shields.

I feel the same way

Overdoziz

Banned

I'm getting pretty tired of the 5-shot kill weapons. 1-on-1 battles are so fucking slow.

Nirvana

I'm getting pretty tired of the 5-shot kill weapons. 1-on-1 battles are so fucking slow.

I generally don't find them slow at all, unless the other guy bails out and then trying to score that back-of-the headshot is a real pain; feels harder in Halo 4 for some reason.

On the topic of Doubles, I agree that Haven is really the only good map for it. To be honest, Haven and Adrift are the only two maps that feel the right size for 4v4, I struggle to find people a lot on the other maps and even then they still feel pretty empty.

Fingers crossed for Guardian/Pit remakes. I would cry with excitement.

I wonder if the slow shield recharge exists in order to allow the shielding perk exists.

I kind of wonder the same thing with strafing, is strafing slow to allow Thrust to exist?

I wonder if the slow shield recharge exists in order to allow the shielding perk exists.

I kind of wonder the same thing with strafing, is strafing slow to allow Thrust to exist?

I wonder the same thing about Reach. Movement is slow so sprinting exists, jump suck so jet pack exists, shields take forever to recharge, here's Armor Lock.

DMR + Boltshot + HLS + Dexterity + Resupply is going great for me.

I'm doing a fair bit better at this game than I was in Reach. Regular DMR triple kills, etc. Feels good.

Loving the Sticky Detonator and the Railgun, both extremely satisfying and fun to use. One game of Infinity Slayer on Complex I had 6 Railguns... (From world and personal ordnance) Much fun was had.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun

And them crawlers don't let them recharge either.

I think they are a great addition to the game. The promknights with some tweaking wouldn't be terrible either.

Korosenai

I haven't had a single problem with JIP until last night. I was getting matched up 5v4, 6v5, getting thrown into matches where the other team is ten points away from winning, etc.

I literally got thrown into a match of koth where the team needed one point to win and my team had 0.

Throw grenades.
What if you're out of grenades?
Heroic. I have yet to climb into one without taking a ton of fire instantly. I'm on mission
six now, I think, climbing the tall vertical towers? Went up another level, hopped in the Banshee parked there.
Six turrets, two banshees and a few Elites all open fire. A few deaths later I turn it off, but I've decided to just clear all the turrets and Elites on foot. Less painful.

Same thing in that big circular area with the Ghosts and Banshees and central platforms a few missions back. Get in Banshee, take fire from all directions, no matter where or how I fly. So I cleared it on foot.
The Banshee in this game is simply frustrating to fly. It's cumbersome, unwieldly, and hard to maneuver in. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage the moment I hop into one. A sad, stark contrast the nimbleness of past Halo games.
This is my exact experience also. I'm also strongly disliking the Mantis.
As everybody knows, I was against the idea of a mech in Halo since it was announced, and I'm sorry to say that after spending some time with it I feel the same way. I'm going to have to play around with it some more to nail down my feelings, but I think the whole thing feels out of place. The Mantis works best in situations that are uniquely designed around it, and that's not a very sandbox approach. In those situations I'd much rather be driving around in a Warthog or any other vehicle. And in those situations where It's available alongside other vehicles, the thing is so completely dominate that there's no point in getting into anything else.

I also forgot to discuss AAs in my writeup. Not that this was entirely unexpected, but AAs were once again practically useless in the campaign. AAs are just...there. Almost forgettable. The only time they actually made a difference was in situations designed around them...and 343 should definitely not be making a campaign with a series of encounters designed around AAs. I'd rather see developers stop trying to incorporate them.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
One thing I noticed about HLS that I really like is that you CAN'T recharge your shield with it up. So it's really only there for certain uses like pushing up , moving cover to cover, or deflecting some power weapons.

Omni

My Spartan isn't updating on Waypoint (hasn't been for a few days). Wanted a version of him in mah new MK VI, eh.

Is it updating for anyone else?

senador

Banned
Haha I like the banshee. It's powerful but weak. It was tough in campaign to not just blow up but it was a fun challenge. I no longer mind it in multiplayer it can be taken out easily.

XBL notifications come right up to the second player's reticule on splitscreen. If I am aiming at someone's head, that's now all I can see. Not fun :(

TheOddOne

Yep, loved the Spartan Ops missions. Clear cut, beautiful open levels, no in-between stories, clear distinction between Covenant and Promethean encounters and enemy AI shines even more then the campaign. Reminds me much of Reach's mission stuctures.

Only thing I wish that there was a survival like aspect to it, like no instant respawns.

I also forgot to discuss AAs in my writeup. Not that this was entirely unexpected, but AAs were once again practically useless in the campaign. AAs are just...there. Almost forgettable. The only time they actually made a difference was in situations designed around them...and 343 should definitely not be making a campaign with a series of encounters designed around AAs. I'd rather see developers stop trying to incorporate them.

I thought the AAs (notably HLS and Auto-Sentry) were quite useful in the Campaign. HLS saved my life many a time, and AS is great when you're low on ammo and dealing with Grunts or Crawlers. Didn't really use Promethean Vision or Active Camo, etc. I'm glad they didn't design combat around them, like the Jet-packing part of Exodus in Reach.

Making a CTF Pro mode. Turns out you can fix most things about CTF.

What sort of fixes do you have in mind? I personally like the core gametype itself, even with auto pickup and stuff. My main issues are long return times on small maps and the loadouts that people can bring in.

Top Bottom