• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

And them crawlers don't let them recharge either.

I think they are a great addition to the game. The promknights with some tweaking wouldn't be terrible either.

I was talking about multiplayer but yeah thats very true in campaign! Its intense and fun in campaign but frustrating in multiplayer when it leads to me having to slow down and not move forward after a battle.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
You're crazy. Enemies are still pretty stupid, though I will admit Watchers become difficult in that one episode for the first time.

I don't know. In campaign I didn't have elites trying to push my shit in and I didn't have PKs assisting eachother much at all. In spartan ops everything seemed to be working together to kick my ass.

I was talking about multiplayer but yeah thats very true in campaign! Its intense and fun in campaign but frustrating in multiplayer when it leads to me having to slow down and not move forward after a battle.

Ah, gotcha.

If anything I think the delay was added to make use of regen.

Didn't realize you could create 'normal' Halo weapon spawning by fiddling with Initial Drops in Forge. We need classic versions of maps stat.

Omni

I don't know. In campaign I didn't have elites trying to push my shit in and I didn't have PKs assisting eachother much at all. In spartan ops everything seemed to be working together to kick my ass.

Well I guess I could've missed something (played solo on Legendary), but they didn't change at all in the way I played it. Maybe the Elites would charge a little more but nothing drastic, IMO.

Just realized the "Midnight Launch" achievement actually has to be done at midnight. Strange...

Didn't realize you could create 'normal' Halo weapon spawning by fiddling with Initial Drops in Forge. We need classic versions of maps stat.

...Or you could simply use regular weapon spawns..

Overdoziz

Banned
What sort of fixes do you have in mind? I personally like the core gametype itself, even with auto pickup and stuff. My main issues are long return times on small maps and the loadouts that people can bring in.
Yeah, the 35 second reset time is pretty ridiculous. On some maps it's practically impossible to return flags.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
I noticed Elites dodge more

Yeah, and they also push forward and retreated more. Also crawlers would "flush me out" more.

One bad thing I noticed in both campaign and spartan ops though is crawlers seems almost always to push "lemming style" through the same 1 or two paths, especially when they do that "high slow jump." Makes killing them very predictable.

PKs would assist (one would push forward)and the one I was hitting would teleport back when I engaged more than one in spartan ops which was frustrating, but a welcome change from campaign where I could just pick them off one by one.

I thought the AAs (notably HLS and Auto-Sentry) were quite useful in the Campaign. HLS saved my life many a time, and AS is great when you're low on ammo and dealing with Grunts or Crawlers. Didn't really use Promethean Vision or Active Camo, etc. I'm glad they didn't design combat around them, like the Jet-packing part of Exodus in Reach.

So you thought AAs were useful...except for most of them? Because I wasn't having much difficulty with the campaign, I didn't have any use for the HLS. There's plenty of cover for the player to utilize. If AS is only useful because you run out of ammo, I don't see that as a good thing. The campaign has a problem with the player running out of ammo, and I'd much rather fight with a useful weapon than the AS doing it for me.

I think the only AA i used in campaign was the Jetpack, helps get around all the big spaces. Half of the time, I just completely forgot I had an armor ability.

willow ve

So you thought AAs were useful...except for most of them? Because I wasn't having much difficulty with the campaign, I didn't have any use for the HLS. There's plenty of cover for the player to utilize. If AS is only useful because you run out of ammo, I don't see that as a good thing. The campaign has a problem with the player running out of ammo, and I'd much rather fight with a useful weapon than the AS doing it for me.

I constantly ran out of ammo in the campaign. This is probably due to the way that I play Halo where I choose to engage from long range and stay alive (same as in matchmaking really). I found Auto Sentry to be indispensable and really only switched to Jetpack if I was bypassing a sticky part of a level.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, the 35 second reset time is pretty ridiculous. On some maps it's practically impossible to return flags.
Like I mentioned in the OT - Abandon has no place in the rotation. I want it out as soon as possible. It's a small map with a short, clear, elevated, protected path straight from one flag to the other.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
One big complaint about this "running out of ammo" thing is it feels like they purposely reduced the weapon availability/sandbox and pumped up shield strength to inflate difficulty.

Next game I'd like to see less weapon restriction, less shields (nobody likes bullet sponges) and to compensate, "smarter" AI in the enemies.

Now I don't want them simply dodging back and forth like crazy, that would just be annoying, but I definitely want to see smarter enemies next go around and less "pump bullets into the enemy if you can't find a PP" type scenarios. I'm also not a fan of "having" to use the boltshot to work around this bullet sponge concept either.

About the mission "Reclaimer"

I'm up to the part when you have to target the second AA thingy and the Covenant ship disables the Mammoth. I've tried going through this level twice on Legendary now, and it always stops working at this point (the Wraith and the two Ghosts just keep respawning). I THINK that by targeting the AA and destroying it before the Mammoth gets disabled, you break the game. I honestly don't get it... You're given a clear window to destroy the AA and the Mammoth only fires when 343i allows it to, so why is that the bad thing to do?

Argh. At least now I think I know what I'm doing wrong, but come on. This is so fucking frustrating. If you don't want the player to do something, don't let them... Don't trap them in an endless spawn of vehicles, unable to progress further into the mission instead.

Have to restart for a FOURTH time now.

Ehakjdashdkjas

This happened to me, BUT the game does eventually stop spawning them and proceed the mission. It just takes a fuckton of time.

AR is surprisingly good at taking down Ghosts, and once you get your hands on one of your own you can mop up those Wraiths. Abuse going inside Mammoth's interior for triggering checkpoints.

On the last mission on Legendary now. The
death star run
was surprisingly enjoyable.

TCKaos

...Or you could simply use regular weapon spawns..

I used initial drops on my map so that the teams would still know the weapon was spawning but so that I wouldn't use random ordnance. It's not an obnoxious reminder like "HOLY SHIT LOOK AT ALL OF THIS FUCKING ORDNANCE RAINING DOWN FROM THE ETHER" but more along the lines of "Hey, guys, see that puff of smoke? Enemy team has their sniper back up. Stay in cover."

IHaveIce

Banned
Sooo.. what decides which weapons you get in your personal weapon drop?
I swear I have almost everytime the needler or the SAW, while my friend had in one game two times in a row the binary rifle.

I never had the binary rifle as weapon drops or a human sniper.

Is it really only luck?

Also:
-The spawns on some maps are just dumb as fuck
-CTF on Adrift is no fun, the weapon recovery time is ridicilous, why not take the MLG timers ?
-Weapon spawns on maps are also weird, sometimes I have the feelign they never respawn or they aren't shown, even here I would prefer the MLG timers.
-Vortex and Complex are the worst maps I think, at least Complex 4vs4 is bad and CTF on Complex is also not optimal, the one flag is out in the open and the other one is behind some great cover.
-Theater is a joke without announcer
-Active camo is still as annoying as in Reach, if not worse. Jetpack is quite ok.

And I can't believe I'm gonna say that but we need forge maps at least for small slayer gametypes, Haven is great, but I don't want to play it non stop. Add Relay and search for small Arena style maps, especially if you want Team Doubles to work.

Also Dominion is shit, don't like it at all.

DeadNames

Banned
Has anyone else had ordnance fall on them? Happened to me in a match of Haven. A sword crushed my body. Wasn't even mad :lol

Just in case you haven't noticed, the Wraith AI is INSANE in this game! Just get close to one and you'll be splattered within an instant.

Has anyone else had ordnance fall on them? Happened to me in a match of Haven. A sword crushed my body. Wasn't even mad :lol

Killed by my own overshield (calling it in in the middle of a battle, silly idea). Felt bad man.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Funny thing is I think some of the spawns are ordinance locations too. I've spawned into a hell of a loud noise and noticed a drop was right where I spawned.

Omni

Just watched the terminals... Love it! If there's one thing 343i are doing better than Bungie, it's developing the story (not implying 343i sucks at everything else, haha). The ones in CEA were great, and these are just as good. Glad they were included, even if we have to watch them on Waypoint.

Awesome job, 343i / whoever made them.

Also, how do?

L8c8.png

If it's relevant, I have completed all chapters of episode 1 on solo legendary.

Halo 4's story explains absolutely nothing well at all. I watched Halo Legends and played Halo 1-3 leading up to 4. Nope, I should have read the latest books it seems.

I must scavenge the spoiler thread for clarity I guess?

Yup, that's the exact problem I had with the campaign. Without the little research I did in the past on the Forerunners I would've been even more confused than what I was.

But wait,
the Composer isn't a different person?? lol

-Playing drunk is fun...but the fun part dissapears the day after when you watch your stats. Yesterday my K/D ratio for Slayer was 1.69, today it went down to 1.4 :/

That's fun, sure.. but you're doing it wrong ;]

kylej

Banned
just bought this game. gonna play it in a bit. is campaign good? might play that this afternoon then poop on idiots in multiplayer. I dunno. Gonna eat lunch and watch sig for a bit then I'll be on in like an hour or so

just bought this game. gonna play it in a bit. is campaign good? might play that this afternoon then poop on idiots in multiplayer. I dunno. Gonna eat lunch and watch sig for a bit then I'll be on in like an hour or so
Campaign is good. Terminals adds a lasting impression. Imo.

m23

I'm loving the campaign so far. I'm on the final level and can't wait to see what happens. The only mission I didn't really enjoy was the sixth. The fifth mission however....blew me away. I'm going to try to finish it today and get a start on Spartan Ops.

My friend and I tried out campaign coop for a bit, there was no lag whatsoever, so much better than Reach. I just hope it stays that way for Spartan Ops.

Buddermilk

Neo Member

While you eat your lunch I would recommend skimming the cliff notes to Cryptum, Primordium, Glasslands, and The Thursday War if you haven't read them. You will get much more out of the story.

The farther I got into the campaign the more I notice the combat is a step back. Enemies don't react like they do in the older games. It's more pop and shoot gameplay. The atmosphere and story are great though, definitely a step up from Halo 3 and Reach. I just hope 343 listens to the fans and changes this stuff in 5. It is only their first game after all.

pakkit

Banned
If this is the Halo/COD hybrid, I don't mind it. Unlike COD or Max Payne 3, there aren't killer weapon unlocks for higher ranked players. You have DMR and BR unlocked at the start, the main difference is perks which only slightly change the game. Furthermore, none of the perks seem anywhere as unbalanced/frustrating as something like Armor Lock, which is nice.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Terminal story is better told than Halo 4's Campaign story.

The only problems I have with the Campaign story is that the terminals should have been apart of it, the Didacts back story should have been apart of it.

People who have played say only 1-3 and have not read any of the books have no clue what is going on and why they are doing things.

Yeah the terminals were great, nothing much there that wasn't in Cryptum and Primordium, but the story is really good.

The only problems I have with the Campaign story is that the terminals should have been apart of it, the Didacts back story should have been apart of it.

People who have played say only 1-3 and have not read any of the books have no clue what is going on and why they are doing things.

Agreed. I had to explain SO MUCH to my brother it got ridiculous.

ElRenoRaven

Yup. The campaign really falls flat. It's fun but between the lack of certain details in the campaign and a few too many bullshit encounter set ups it just really seems to lack that heart the original trilogy had. I really don't see myself going back to replay it again. I can say with every single one of the previous games I've played them time and time again. This one though I just have no desire to.

I'm really torn on the game. I really am.

What truly disappointed me as a Halo fan, was that Halo 4's biggest plot twist/event Campaign Spoiler
was the human-forerunner war and the Promethean Knights being Composed forerunners and humans.
I honestly thought that reading Crytum and Primordium would be a supplement to Halo 4's story, and not such an integral part of the storyline. Really killed the mystery for me :(

Booties

Banned
I can't believe I found all but two terminals on my own. I think halo 3 made it easier because they were mostly in forerunner locations so I searched those well in this game. What's the message translate to at the end of the last terminal? I don't want to waste time with glyphs that all look the same to me.

While you eat your lunch I would recommend skimming the cliff notes to Cryptum, Primordium, Glasslands, and The Thursday War if you haven't read them. You will get much more out of the story.
I...don't think he'll do that.

Yup, that's the exact problem I had with the campaign. Without the little research I did in the past on the Forerunners I would've been even more confused than what I was.

But wait,
the Composer isn't a different person?? lol

I thought the Composer was that big artifact.

Fuck I'm confused.

Omni

What truly disappointed me as a Halo fan, was that Halo 4's biggest plot twist/event Campaign Spoiler
was the human-forerunner war and the Promethean Knights being Composed forerunners and humans.
I honestly thought that reading Crytum and Primordium would be a supplement to Halo 4's story, and not such an integral part of the storyline. Really killed the mystery for me :(

Well I don't know about anyone else, but I considered the biggest plot event in the game Campaign spoiler
to be when Cortana died or whatever.
Didn't read about that in any of the books.

Top Bottom