• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Arnie

I can't begin to describe why this post literally made me a hair angry. It would be easy for me to do my usual and customary smartass response, end it with the word adapt, and move on but I feel I should write out in full (from my cell phone at work, so I apologize if there are typos in advance) on why this attitude has us in the shape we are in.

Ill preface quickly: I love Halo and I love the folks who created it. This game is fun and I have fun with my friends playing it.

But you know what I really love? Competition. I love going out on the soccer field and running around until I want to vomit and hustle my ass off to win. I loved doing this the most when there was something on the line but I still did it when playing for fun because I hold myself to a higher standard than you obviously do because you said yourself "I hate when people are playing like there is a prize on the line." I'm not ok with complacency.

That's where my biggest struggle in this game: when I'm not in control or know my boundaries I feel lazy and complacent. I brought up soccer for a reason, it has a very structured layout and positions and rules. Soccer wouldn't be the worlds most popular sport if the majority of the time you were waiting around for a random element in the game to swing the momentum in your favor, right? I mean of course I am, I'm not an idiot.

Ill admit I'm mostly a casual in Halo due to skill but I still tried my best in Reach with this crowd and learned weapon spawns, player spawns, and learned how to control maps because that's how you won games. I'm sorry you got destroyed from the sound of it, I truly am, but the direction of this game (remember above, I still think it's fun) is a different direction than where it started and drew in the largest majority of this forum and they aren't ok with it. Then you start spitting bullshit about PV not being a problem (I looked it up, it IS a problem) and the real problem is players being too competitive.

As a tribute to your terrible post, ill end mine the same way: give me a break.

I can't begin to describe why this post literally made me a hair erect.

Arnie

As big team maps go I quite liked Standoff. It's leaps and bounds above what we've currently got in Halo 4. Symmetrical, divided by three sets of rocks to split up sight lines and allow infantry combat to flourish alongside the Hog battles.

Do you guys remember standoff? Because of the ordnance* drops and vehicles that's how the big team maps/games feel.

Standoff had consistency though with the power weapons, BTB in Halo 4 does not. Consistency (by those who say the current system works) and giving players a heads up when/where the next power weapons will spawn (by those who say the current system doesn't work) are being underrated IMO, especially the latter.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Can anyone explain the Operator Specialization to me?

Let me get this straight, AFTER I finish the specialization, on all further specializations, if I wear the armor set, I get bonus XP? Or is it only active for the immediate next specialization and then I don't get bonus XP ever again?

Sai-kun

Banned
I can't begin to describe why this post literally made me a hair angry. It would be easy for me to do my usual and customary smartass response, end it with the word adapt, and move on but I feel I should write out in full (from my cell phone at work, so I apologize if there are typos in advance) on why this attitude has us in the shape we are in.

Ill preface quickly: I love Halo and I love the folks who created it. This game is fun and I have fun with my friends playing it.

But you know what I really love? Competition. I love going out on the soccer field and running around until I want to vomit and hustle my ass off to win. I loved doing this the most when there was something on the line but I still did it when playing for fun because I hold myself to a higher standard than you obviously do because you said yourself "I hate when people are playing like there is a prize on the line." I'm not ok with complacency.

That's where my biggest struggle in this game: when I'm not in control or know my boundaries I feel lazy and complacent. I brought up soccer for a reason, it has a very structured layout and positions and rules. Soccer wouldn't be the worlds most popular sport if the majority of the time you were waiting around for a random element in the game to swing the momentum in your favor, right? I mean of course I am, I'm not an idiot.

Ill admit I'm mostly a casual in Halo due to skill but I still tried my best in Reach with this crowd and learned weapon spawns, player spawns, and learned how to control maps because that's how you won games. I'm sorry you got destroyed from the sound of it, I truly am, but the direction of this game (remember above, I still think it's fun) is a different direction than where it started and drew in the largest majority of this forum and they aren't ok with it. Then you start spitting bullshit about PV not being a problem (I looked it up, it IS a problem) and the real problem is players being too competitive.

As a tribute to your terrible post, ill end mine the same way: give me a break.

e6lf2.png

Woorloog

Banned
Anyone wanna tell how invincible vehicles work in Halo 4? Because in Halo Reach you couldn't even kill the driver...
I ask this, because as it the system is, vehicles are too weak. Especially considering the number of power weapons in-game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Why is PV a problem? Walshy plays around it. Get a grip.
PV is the mark of a noob. It's intuition for the deficient, in supplement form. Besides, it's like the worst armor ability by a landslide anyways, I have no idea why anyone would choose it. Your more telegraphing yourself than you are getting the drop on people. Nerfs appear completely reasonable ATM. Maybe nerfed too hard, but time will tell, it could be another Armor Lock in the making.

kylej

Banned
Then again, I would love for them to put in a classic mode to appease all the old fans who can't get used to the new rules. But perhaps that would be seen as counterproductive with trying to move the franchise forward. :-/

they're not moving the franchise forward they're chasing COD money. jebus christmas folks

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I don't really use PV and I am not seeing it from the good guys I'm matching against. I think there are more versatile and useful AA's than it.

Even with a 'classic mode', the Halo fans wouldn't feel appeased. The game's very core is tainted by the changes, maps aren't designed to be controlled or fought over like prior games, for example. Scoring is fucked. The UI is abysmal. These are substantial changes that wouldn't disappear in a classic playlist. I also think the idea of segregating those who want to play Halo, in a game called 'Halo', is just a bit too sadistic.
I know I'm weird, but I was never a fan of full on map control. Halo:CE multiplayer was a lot more akin to Halo 4's with the exception of being on the top level of certain maps (Prisoner, Damnation, Derelict, and Hang'em High). But other maps like Battle Creek, Chill Out, Rat Race, and Boarding Action were more about moving together as a team and executing different strategies on the move. I like that style more than forcing spawns and camping teams in that manner.

They should make a FFA thats no score limit JIP. So you just hop into an instance going on and hop out when you are done.

Also a merc teams playlist that works like that too.

Then again, I would love for them to put in a classic mode to appease all the old fans who can't get used to the new rules. But perhaps that would be seen as counterproductive with trying to move the franchise forward. :-/

Its not like that most people that hate the new stuff probably have more wins and a higher k/d than you. Its about them adding shit that sucks. It flat out sucks its not an opinion. Its them shitting on Halo and making it like a more popular game cause they want more money. Thats it. Sadly they don't DO CoD better than CoD so this is futile, they will understand that eventually.

Striker

As big team maps go I quite liked Standoff. It's leaps and bounds above what we've currently got in Halo 4. Symmetrical, divided by three sets of rocks to split up sight lines and allow infantry combat to flourish alongside the Hog battles.
Standoff wasn't really a BTB map, and when it was it became a turtle fest with each team sitting on their respective sides until a Warthog eventually mowed them down (or whoever won the Laser battle). It was an okay 4v4-6v6 map but the awful spawns, tons of unused area, and Laser made it a map that can turn ugly quick.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
They should make a FFA thats no score limit JIP. So you just hop into an instance going on and hop out when you are done.

Also a merc playlist that works like that too.

Yup! Was about to post this. Endless FFA to warm up in would be sick!

People, play slayer pro and stop playing other playlists
After getting Trueskilled in Infinity Slayer, it was nice to play Pro and absolutely dong on scrubs last night.
Who still hasn't played Extraction?
I walked through one in a custom game, but I've yet to play an actual 5v5.
He's busy. ;)
Urkles, building hype one drive by post at a time.
The matchmaking proximity/ping and accuracy will start improving fairly rapidly very shortly as it gathers newer, more up to date data and uses it.
Good news, it's been a pretty miserable experience as of now. I rarely ever had lag in Reach, or any other game, but it's be terrible in H4 on a shockingly regularly basis.
Maybe useful to some people:

Halo 4 Terminal Library
Much thanks.
For real. We need a hybrid playlist. I need that no radar!
Just add Carbine and Light Rifle loadouts to Slayer Pro
Halo 4 rank up chart. Basically its not hard to rank up at all.
Did the math, I'll be SR-130 is roughly 12 weeks, or 3 months. That's much too fast for my liking.
343 needs to eliminate the ammo perk. I get 20 FRG shots, 8 binary rifle shots, and get a 150% charge for Spartan Laser.
WHAT? The ammo perk affects weapons you pick up?!

What the hell?

FyreWulff

So, remember when people had that big debate over sidelocked spawns versus non sidelocked spawns?

Yeah, in Halo 4 they're always not sidelocked. Zoning spawns no longer locks a team to those spawns.

Havok

Why is PV a problem? Walshy plays around it. Get a grip.
As an example, look at how it changes the tone and pace of CTF. If their defender has it, there is a near-zero possibility that somebody can get into that base alone without a power weapon, at least one other teammate, or massively outplaying that defender (while at a positioning disadvantage, mind you) as was pretty standard Halo tactic before. There is no longer stealth in either phase of that gametype (the assault on the flag and the flag run) when PV is in play, where previously there was at least a measure of stealth in both. It causes standoffs where there shouldn't be. It gives awareness that that player did nothing to earn except hitting a button and having the game scream enemy locations at him through bright red silhouettes. Offense was always more difficult than defense, now that imbalance is even more drastically skewed.

If players didn't have any red outlines and you had to identify player silhouettes on the background, I might not have a problem with it. As it is, it handholds individual players to complete awareness of the map, which was previously a pretty big skill for entire teams to have.

kylej

Banned
So, remember when people had that big debate over sidelocked spawns versus non sidelocked spawns?

Yeah, in Halo 4 they're always not sidelocked. Zoning spawns no longer locks a team to those spawns.

Every mode is FFA. Finishing what Reach started.

RIP Halo

Pros do whatever they have to to gain a competitive edge. PV let's you see where everyone is on the map at almost any given time. Of course he's gonna use it. Players who play on a professional level such as MLG have to embrace the changes with each new game. Look at Tashi, he's defiled himself with the assault rifle ;)
<3 really doesn't bother me that much. I just like joking around

Yup! Was about to post this. Endless FFA to warm up in would be sick!

I mean thats where this is all headed anyways. Instant gratification.

Eventually it'll be like

Warmup: (JIP) (NO QUIT PENALTY) (MAPS ROTATE EVERY 15 MINS) (GAIN MORE EXP BY STAYING IN PARTY LOBBY)

FFA
MERCTEAM
TEAM TRAINING
BTB

Compete - DO WORK:
HARDCORE X2EXP MT DEW DORITOS CHALLENGE

HAVE FUN! :
WEEKLY 3X EXP PLAYLIST!

Store:
Browse the armor/weapon/aa store use MSpoints to get the in-game advantge over your opponent!

still don't see why halo 4 is getting so much hate. find the game really fun, and trueskill is doing a better job than reach. sure the game isn't perfect, but it is more fun than 3 and reach.

Top Bottom