• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Woorloog

Banned
How does invincible vehicles work in Halo 4? In Reach the option was broken, you couldn't kill the vehicle crews which made them too invincible... Need Halo CE like vehicles, indestructible but able to kill their crew.

WHAT? The ammo perk affects weapons you pick up?!

What the hell?

I think it only affects your Personal Ordnance and starting weapons, but yeah.. Called that crap before launch and it needs to go.

But now that you're around:

Question for Steelyuhas: I know you were a big advocate for the Storm Rifle before H4 came out, but I'm interested in what are your thoughts of it now? Still holds up to what you played and do you use it? The automatics in general are great, but I had a feeling this one was going to stick out to me..

Thoughts?

Are thrusters actually useful for anything? Thought I would try it out and it feels useless.
It feels useless until it saves your ass countless times. Its a good oh-shit button when your shields are popped and you're about to bite it - and it helps in other small ways, along the margins.

I know I'm weird, but I was never a fan of full on map control. Halo:CE multiplayer was a lot more akin to Halo 4's with the exception of being on the top level of certain maps (Prisoner, Damnation, Derelict, and Hang'em High). But other maps like Battle Creek, Chill Out, Rat Race, and Boarding Action were more about moving together as a team and executing different strategies on the move. I like that style more than forcing spawns and camping teams in that manner.

I 100% agree mate. I like to term it free roaming Halo :)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What? People don't know this? In addition to all of that, I get 44 Needles + however much is in the cartridge in the Needler, eight rockets, and get A LOT of ammo for the Saw.

Hahaha thats why it was one of my favorite mods early on. For rockets and Incineration cannon, its ultra useful.

Trey

ammo perk explains why I feel like my sniper has more rounds when I pick it up. What's the count usually?

If players didn't have any red outlines and you had to identify player silhouettes on the background, I might not have a problem with it. As it is, it handholds individual players to complete awareness of the map, which was previously a pretty big skill for entire teams to have.

Yep. I use PV without shame but it is broken as hell.

Conor 419

Banned
We're like engineers over here.

No, what we are saying is heresy. It wouldn't work, for a start ??????? ?? ?????, ????????? ????? ???????? ??? ???. ???? ?? ??? ??? ?????, ?????? ?? ???? ??????? ?? ???; ????? ?? ????? ? ?? ???? "??????? ?? ???? ? ??????? ??????? ???? ?????", ?? ??? ???? ?????. And then there's the fact that a server browser would provide plenty of disadvantages such as ????, ????, ????, ????????????, ???????, and most importantly ???????????, which is crucial to the success of this series.

Overall I think 343i have made the right choice. All of the complaints that totally weren't solvable via this system are a testament to this.

What? People don't know this? In addition to all of that, I get 44 Needles + however much is in the cartridge in the Needler, eight rockets, and get A LOT of ammo for the Saw.
I was kind of hoping it would increase your weapon clip size, and not necessarily boost your ammo, but both would have been amazing. I keep unlocking things and switching my load-outs around even though i never get to use them in Slayer Pro lol. Perhaps if 343 switches up infinity slayer so it's not quite so chaotic, I'll play it a little more often.

But now that you're around:

Thoughts?
Still my favorite automatic starting weapon and I stand by my firepower loadout with it as the secondary. The range of the weapon is quite short, but that works fine as a secondary with firepower because that's the reason I have it.

I guess I just assumed it was starting weapons, cause you know getting extra ammo for ordnance is absurd.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For the record I agree with Heckfu on the ranks/competitive thing. I can enjoy the game without it, but I do like to see some kind of testament to my skill. Something I can work to improve. K/D ratio has become so prevalently whored because actual ranks went away. It's the next "best" thing.

VIVA Halo.

Conor 419

Banned
For the record I agree with Heckfu on the ranks/competitive thing. I can enjoy the game without it, but I do like to see some kind of testament to my skill. Something I can work to improve. K/D ratio has become so prevalently whored because actual ranks went away. It's the next "best" thing.

VIVA Halo.

Well 1-50's coming early next year so...

senador

Banned
they're not moving the franchise forward they're chasing COD money. jebus christmas folks

I still refuse to believe this. I do not believe their goal was to chase CoD. I do believe they would like those sales numbers and I believe it inspired Halo 4 just like all games inspire each other to some degree, but I absolutely do not believe that CoD was their end goal. I truly believe they wanted to try new things with Halo, make their own Halo, and I also believe they set out to solve a set of things they felt were problems.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Also I don't believe they are just "chasing CoD money." They want a piece of it, sure, but they are also working to move Halo forward. What you see in Halo 4 is a bit of both. I really think you are crazy if you think the goal written on Frank's white board says "MAKE HALO COD, PISS OFF FANS."

They are making the game they want, along with borrowing some of the most popular mechanics in gaming right now.

Tunavi

Banned
How about hopping over to the BLOPS2 thread and asking? We don't need more COD derailing in here.
343 started the COD derailing in the first place.

Also I don't believe they are just "chasing CoD money." They want a piece of it, sure, but they are also working to move Halo forward. What you see in Halo 4 is a bit of both. I really think you are crazy if you think the goal written on Frank's white board says "MAKE HALO COD, PISS OFF FANS."

They are making the game they want, along with borrowing some of the most popular mechanics in gaming right now.
bolded statements totally contradict each other

Arnie

still don't see why halo 4 is getting so much hate. find the game really fun, and trueskill is doing a better job than reach. sure the game isn't perfect, but it is more fun than 3 and reach.

That's fair enough, I understand that a lot of people are loving the game, just as someone who's a huge fan of 2 and 3, this does less for me than Reach. It feels less like Halo, even without bloom, and that's something I didn't really expect. It's all opinions, I'm just personally sad because I really did think at times that we might get a proper sequel, especially after three years of dropping the franchise in Reach's wake, but alas the changes seem even more further afield from what was once the core of Halo.

I've just realised that in the entire campaign I literally never had a watcher return one of my grenades. Not exaggerating. Engineers were a throwaway arm of the Covenant, but I found them infinitely more enjoyable to fight because they forced me to utilise different parts of the sandbox, such as the plasma weapons. Watchers just required a few blasts from whatever precision weapon I was currently holding, before I'd decide to focus on the knights.

Frank's a straight up guy, and there's no reason to expect that any of the other 343 employees are any less, just because they don't post on Neogaf. Maybe I insinuated as such in my immediate frustration, but I don't believe 343 were in some way cynical when they designed Halo 4.

I really do believe they massively misunderstood a range of responsibilities associated with creating a Halo game, though. I feel like somewhere in the process of making the game they got lost, and didn't/couldn't critically analyse what they were actually producing, and how it would meet core players expectations. I also see no sense of adventure, no sense of forging their own version of Halo, the game you say they wanted to make. I can't see how a designer would be truly enthralled about implementing the changes we see in Halo 4. None of them are actually original, or new, they're all a twist on an existing flavour, and one that's been extremely popular for half a decade.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
bolded statements totally contradict each other

Note my italics. I don't think Halo 4 is ONLY a game of stolen mechanics. It's part new Halo, part utilization of popular mechanics. Basically the game isn't 100% COD, it's 75% new Halo ideas, 25% borrowed mechanics and systems.

(Percentages are just for example)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Correction: they are making the game the people funding the studio want.

I would agree that comes into it, but I would highly doubt MS wouldn't give the ultra-talented folks they hired from all over the world some say in the game.

This game is blatantly ripping off Call of Duty and you just want us to ignore that fact?

Comparing the game this topic is about to another game isn't shitting up the thread.

The industry is built on games "ripping off" popular systems/mechanics from other games. Think CoD4 would have been as good without the matchmaking Bungie perfected? Would we even have the Xbox Live we have today?

dalVlatko

I still refuse to believe this. I do not believe their goal was to chase CoD. I do believe they would like those sales numbers and I believe it inspired Halo 4 just like all games inspire each other to some degree, but I absolutely do not believe that CoD was their end goal. I truly believe they wanted to try new things with Halo, make their own Halo, and I also believe they set out to solve a set of things they felt were problems.

Really?

It just so happened that all of the "problems" Halo had can be solved by making it more like COD?

senador

Banned
Correction: they are making the game the people funding the studio want.

I don't believe this either.

Really?

It just so happened that all of the "problems" Halo had can be solved by making it more like COD?

That's not what I said.

I believe they took a list of things they wanted to fix or change and went from there. How can we reduce lopsided games and quitters? Join in progress. How can we empower the player and add new elements to the game? Provide rewards via personal ordnance. How can we focus game types and map selection as well as make existing game types more interesting and attractive? Give each game type its own playlist and mix things up. How can we stop betrayals? Turn off friendly fire in certain modes. How can we allow players to start with what weapon they want? Loadouts. I believe they looked at things like this and sought out to change or fix them which resulted in CoD similarities, but I don't believe they just stole from that or set out to copy it. I also don't believe what they did is perfect, but this is a learning experience from them and I expected changes for both Halo 4 and future games.

Top Bottom