• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Anyone know how to get this emblem?

NkHAw.jpg

Seeing as how my H2 era phoenix is not in the game anymore, this would be a very suitable replacement.

Playing a SWAT game that's 4v2, with me on the team of 4.

It's really boring and I feel bad for the other team. I'm just going to idle until the match ends or they get more players.

^top image looks like Complex and bottom image reminds me of that one campaign mission with the fog before you meet Lasky.

I enjoyed what little I played of swat, but the maps were simply felt too big for it. I felt like I was constantly looking for people to blain.

And still feels that your getting too little feedback :lol
What? For one, MP is different from campaign, and two, I wrote about this after I first played the multiplayer:
I wanted to make this its own section because I don’t think the information the player gets in her HUD* is presented particularly well. It might’ve been just me, but here’s the main problem I was having: Most of the time, there’s simply too much information being relayed to the player. Whether it was Oddball, CTF, or iSlayer, I felt like I was being bombarded by enough information to the point where my brain was forced to tune it all out. I was ignoring everything. Granted, it’s nowhere near as bad as Call of Duty’s, which I also tuned out, but from what I remember there was little clarity. Clarity is a huge part of Halo. Clarity in feedback, clarity in map design, and clarity in game information.

No, you don’t notice the white text. (That begs the following question: If players don’t notice it, why is it there?) For a standard headshot kill, you have the text in the middle with the points, you have X killed X text and the medal showing up at the right of the screen, and on top of all that that you could’ve gotten a triple kill, which will have Steitzer saying that out loud, more text in the middle of the screen, and another medal will pop up, along with who knows what like “Distraction!”.

I understand the need to convey how many points players are receiving given the progression system Halo 4 has, but telling how many points I’m accumulating isn’t critically relevant to the game at hand and would be better served, I feel, by summarizing it all in the post-game carnage report. I can never remember what points I got for what anyway.

Bungie was very good at delivering the most relevant, important information to the player, and doing so in a seemingly sparse way. I paid attention to it all. Putting aside some fun stuff like Steitzer saying "Triple kill!", just give me what I and my teammates need to know.

*As an aside to this, I also think Steitzer says too much. No, he’s not constantly talking in your ear, but there’s definitely a noticeable increase in how much he says, and I think it’s very close to the point of overusing him, if it isn’t already.

The only thing different now is that I'm starting to notice the white text.

Nirvana

Adrift? No, I like Adrift quite a bit. Abandon, however (I hope that it was sufficiently clear from that series of posts that Abandon was what I was talking about), is a different story, considering a team at the top has line of sight to almost the entire map, has instant cover with a single strafe behind the walls and can instantly cut off any runs with a simple jump or good grenade. They have easy access to the one high-tier power weapon on the map with a drop down to the Rocket spawn, with Boltshots can render the lift impossibly dangerous to use, and generally are able to screw over the team that spawns on dirt because Blue has so few viable, cover-laden routes that don't involve going straight through the tower and are at an immediate elevation disadvantage.

Here's the thing, if that top middle existed in a symmetric map, I would have less of an issue with it. When it allows red to dominate as it has in my experience, especially in practically-locked-spawn gametypes like CTF, I start to dislike it. It's not that it can't be overcome (I've certainly done it) but that one team is immediately faced with overcoming it at the start of the match simply because the game placing them on a particular team deems it so. It was the same crap on Stockpile Sword Base, you could get over it if you were blue, but it was still annoying as hell.

Holy goddamnit I am an idiot. Apologies man. I totally agree with you as well, Abandon is very poorly designed in that regard, the sorrounding areas are either too low to have good line of sight or obscured, lengthy tunnels that don't have any sort of advantageous position on top middle. It's poorly designed and quite frankly, uninteresting to play on. Especially the main rock ramp leading up to top middle; if you have a good team top middle and you spawn here, you are entirely trapped by them and even the tunnels can be easily locked down from that position.

It is, my friend, a clusterfuck. Again, apologies for being a bit mentally challenged today and not reading your post correctly - 14 hours at work will do that!

MrDaravon

Why do I keep being thrown into games that start 3v4, and the teams are never evened up? This is beyond stupid.

Outside of BTB, in any other playlist if a team started a match down 1 or 2 people it has never filled them up. It's the main reason I only play BTB now, I got tired of constantly starting matches down a person in KotH or whatever, and at the end of the game we lost and it was so close that us being down a person is clearly what screwed us.

I notice (and dislike) the white text and announcer, I just don't think it's worth harping on about it since it's clear 343 consider them pillar features for new players.

feel

Anyone know how many Assassinations do I need for the commendation that unlocks Venator and if quick backsmacks count?

No, you don’t notice the white text. (That begs the following question: If players don’t notice it, why is it there?)

This is a wider issue for me. Why is white text there if I don't read it? Why is the unlock/ranking system there if I can unlock everything [decent] in a few hours? What's the point of it? To see a bar go up? Why? I ignore it. Similarly, the sup/tac packages - yes, I notice myself using them, but I don't really feel like I've been boned by an enemy using them... which is a great thing - but at the same time, why are they there [then]? I realise I am highlighting a peculiarity from a contradictory position (as there is no way I want any of them to be buffed in any way), but it still bugs me somewhat in terms of design principle.

It feels like 343 have included a lot of stuff to widen the appeal, and at the same time tried to keep it as Halo as possible - in their eyes, at least. In doing so, they've filled the chasm between Halo and other FPS (not in quality, but qualitatively) with gubbins that don't really add, or detract, anything - they are just 'there', caught in 343's unenviable position of being charged as custodians by the Halo world, but as a bright new hope for the gaming world in terms of progression et al.

Fortunately for me I am really enjoying the game, as I can skip Infinity and play fast-paced objective games - this stuff is meta, mostly, and so doesn't impact me much in game.

Outside of BTB, in any other playlist if a team started a match down 1 or 2 people it has never filled them up. It's the main reason I only play BTB now, I got tired of constantly starting matches down a person in KotH or whatever, and at the end of the game we lost and it was so close that us being down a person is clearly what screwed us.

As much as I'd like to, I can't play BTB with randoms. It basically is an affair of frustration. BTB with a party of 4+ though is a lot of fun.

Aggrotek

The negativity for this game amazes me. I am loving it so much more than I ever did Reach. Gameplay is solid and only a few things need tweaking. Really hoping for the Red X to come back, and PV needs a rework, but overall the game is fun.

Finally took some time to really take a look at what comes with the different specializations. What a bummer. Fast track, which is kind of what I was wanting to unlock, has the most hideous looking armor. Operator, is the armor I wanted to unlock, but I could care less about vehicles. If I'm ever going to go back into infinity slayer, I think Wetworks is the only way to go to help combat PV and has a nice DMR weapon skin. Bleah. What to do what to do.

This game is so difficult to callout. They've removed Callouts near the radar, the red X on death, and most of the maps don't have clear call-outs.
I just finished a game on Complex where we ended up calling out "THE ROOM", "The other room", "The shit room" and "Tertiary room"...

TheOddOne

What? For one, MP is different from campaign, and two, I wrote about this after I first played the multiplayer.
My point is that even the white text, "You killed x" text and audio feedback from Seltzer it still lack the punch that you have done something. With Reach I really didn't feel that. More a personal thing I guess.

Ultimately those are much more significant changes, since they affect the game and how its played at its core, rather than just the (messy to the point of being obscure) presentation of it.
My point was 343 must think they are pillars too, considering how "game-changing" they are.

That unintentional pun pains me.
Meet Frankie for a shot, Shake!
He still owes me Halo Merch, don't believe his lies.

My point is that even the white text, "You killed x" text and audio feedback from Seltzer it still lack the punch that you have done something. With Reach I really didn't feel that. More a personal thing I guess.

Oh, I get you now. I misread your post, and yeah, I would agree with that.

Nirvana

Wow. Haven't played for 1 week and left Halo 4 feeling really happy with it; I just played 4 games, every single one of which I joined either halfway through, had only 2 on my team or lost a player half way through. JIP is crushing my k/d and my goddamn soul.

I am officially jumping on the bandwagon of hatred for this horribly implemented feature. It not only matches up teams terribly (it started a game of 2v1 in Infinity Slayer) but the feature generally doesn't work and you end up with nobody joining your team anyway, not to mention the fact that it ENCOURAGES people to quit games and join new ones - because they can!

It's atrocious and it needs to be aborted like the devil foetus it is.

I like Halo 4 though, I really do.

feel

Wow. Haven't played for 1 week and left Halo 4 feeling really happy with it; I just played 4 games, every single one of which I joined either halfway through, had only 2 on my team or lost a player half way through. JIP is crushing my k/d and my goddamn soul.

I am officially jumping on the bandwagon of hatred for this horribly implemented feature. It not only matches up teams terribly (it started a game of 2v1 in Infinity Slayer) but the feature generally doesn't work and you end up with nobody joining your team anyway, not to mention the fact that it ENCOURAGES people to quit games and join new ones - because they can!

It's atrocious and it needs to be aborted like the devil foetus it is.

I like Halo 4 though, I really do.
You could stop backing out of the lobby after every match.

edit-
Don't mind the white text at all.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Kyle, loving the new profile pic.

As a side, I have to say something must be working with Halo. A friend of mine who liked Halo well enough, but stopped wanting to play because he believed the series had become stale and hadn't updated along with newer trends just told me that after playing Blops 2 he thinks he likes Halo a lot more. Not for the CoD-like stuff in Halo mind you, but because it's just more fun to play now that the combat and movement has been updated.

Here's a quote from our convo:
"I think it's just that Halo is so good. Seriously, Halo 4 is my favorite Halo for mp. Easily. Just funny it took 343 to make me really love Halo again. Bungie didn't offer me much to get excited anymore. I hope 343 keeps it up. I also hope 343 but some pressure on Bungie to make their next game somewhat modern."

For me it's just nice to see my friends back on Halo. Playing Reach on my own was not fun (playing Reach was not terribly fun anyways).

You could stop backing out of the lobby after every match.

edit-
Don't mind the white text at all.

+1. Any game with JiP has issues with occasionally putting you in a match that's almost over. All you have to do is stick with that lobby when the game ends and you'll be fine. I've rarely found myself getting put in losing games at the end though. Usually I get put in games that just started and the score is 20-30 or something close.

Kyle, loving the new profile pic.

As a side, I have to say something must be working with Halo. A friend of mine who liked Halo well enough, but stopped wanting to play because he believed the series had become stale and hadn't updated along with newer trends just told me that after playing Blops 2 he thinks he likes Halo a lot more. Not for the CoD-like stuff in Halo mind you, but because it's just more fun to play now that the combat and movement has been updated.

For me it's just nice to see my friends back on Halo. Playing Reach on my own was not fun (playing Reach was not terribly fun anyways
).

That's actually cool to hear. Nice to see some positive news buried within a thread of mostly pessimistic discourse lol.

343 needs to eliminate the ammo perk. I get 20 FRG shots, 8 binary rifle shots, and get a 150% charge for Spartan Laser.
They need to change it where it doesn't affect power weapons, but I like the perk for the base weapons, especially on BTB maps where it's easier to run out of ammo.

I'm going to find an XBLA game or two to tide me over until Skyrim's Dragonborn expansion lands. I really don't have any other major games on my radar; I was planning to rock Halo 4 for a nice long while.
Mark of the Ninja would be relevant to your interests. Awesome, awesome game.

Sucks you're not liking H4, though. Are you going into matchmaking alone? My experience has been vastly different when going in with just two other people compared to solo. I'll only play with people I know from now on, or just do something else.

You nerds are doing it wrong, compare yourself to Tunavi.
I'm taller, older, and far more dashing.

"THE ARTICLE YOU ARE ATTEMPTING TO VIEW IS NOT AVAILABLE IN THIS LANGUAGE AT THIS TIME"

Jesus, even the Halo 4 error messages are in all caps. :-\

Quick poll:

How many times have you ever used an ordnance drop to call in grenades?

How many times have you seen anyone else do so?
I did it once, only because the other choices of Speed Boost and Concussion Rifle were worse. Seriously, why the fuck is Speed Boost even a thing in a game where you can potentially have unlimited sprint anyway? Why not have something like just being able to call in extra ammunition for whatever weapon you're carrying?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, speed boost is one drop that's really not needed. I don't find that it benefits me at all. It might be beneficial in some kind of Infinity Objective playlist, but I skip it in the drops in slayer.

Man HaloGAF has turned into a giant circlejerk wastebin of complaining and I'm guilty of this as well. There's a few (relatively minor overall) gripes I have about the game, but I think its a lot of fun, and it has compelled all my old Halo friends to get back into the groove again.

Keep being ace on the community stuff 343, updates and feature additions are a great thing rarely seen in modern gaming. Bring that on.

Also, nice avatar Kyle.

Love this. It's my current wallpaper.

Sexy.

Top Bottom