• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Havok

Countdown and Zealot are quite better than a few Halo 4 maps IMO.
Yeah, Arena Zealot in particular I think is head and shoulders over Abandon and Complex, which I'd place in the Epitaph-and-Isolation-thanks-but-no-thanks-tier.

Multi Flag was never shoved on Epitaph that I can remember though, so maybe I think it's better than those two.

I sometimes forget this game has medals at all because they're so many of them, they're so small, they pop so fast, and browsing them in the postgame lobby is not as intuitive as it was.
Yup, since I've gotten the game I've paid attention to them twice, one glance during a match and another where I flick through the post game menu which I've stopped doing because it's so ... awkward. Now I barely look at the post game stats.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
15 second ad for a 14 second video. Wat.

new-twitchtv-logo.png

Havok

Yup, since I've gotten the game I've paid attention to them twice, one glance during a match and another where I flick through the post game menu which I've stopped doing because it's so ... awkward. Now I barely look at the post game stats.
Doesn't help that the game gives you about 8 seconds to actually look at it before the next voting lobby shows up if you don't back out, then if you back out of that voting lobby you can't view your carnage report because it thinks you got a DNF. I've taken to closing the thing as quick as I can so I don't miss the vote.

Game is getting boring, for me it needs a proper classic gameplay playlist, it would be easy for them to implement it too considering the base gameplay is great already and would only need sprint turned off. No instaspawn, no AAs, no Sprint, 110 speed, no ordnance or any drops, powerweapons on fixed and predictable spawns, powerups too, choice of multiple loadouts so people can spawn with BR+AR/DMR+AR/DMR+Pistol/etc, short range radar without elevation info, visible 1-50.

you forgot powerhouse which, not considering the stupid flag/bomb position, is a beautiful map

Wouldn't it make more sense for people with good K/D's to defend the game? If anything people with bad ones are having the rougher time. Not that it matters anyway, since K/D has nothing to do with it. Random to bring it up in that context.

I feel like a lot of the more casual fans are enjoying it because it's just a casual FFA party game whereas the competitive guys with high k/d's dislike it because even though they are doing well when they try - the game is not a competitive game and is not fun in the way older halo games where.

So the correlation Karl brings up can make sense. I know a lot of none halo fans are loving the game and telling halogaf long timers they should love it too lol in the other thread.

Ramirez

I feel like a lot of the more casual fans are enjoying it because it's just a casual FFA party game whereas the competitive guys with high k/d's dislike it because even though they are doing well when they try - the game is not a competitive game and is not fun in the way older halo games where.

So the correlation Karl brings up can make sense. I know a lot of none halo fans are loving the game and telling halogaf long timers they should love it too lol in the other thread.

Or maybe, both casual & competitive players are enjoying the game...maybe.

I don't know why, but I feel much different when I get killed by an active camo guy now than I did back during the Halo 1/2/3 days. Back in the old games, I would feel like I did something wrong and felt the need to improve if I got killed by one. Now, I just sigh, shake my head and feel frustrated.

Anyone else feel the same?

Ken

I don't know why, but I feel much different when I get killed by an active camo guy now than I did back during the Halo 1/2/3 days. Back in the old games, I would feel like I did something wrong and felt the need to improve if I got killed by one. Now, I just sigh, shake my head and feel frustrated.

Anyone else feel the same?

In past Halo games if I died to a camo guy I would think about what I did wrong.

Now I just mash X and go die again.

I forget, did anything significant change after the Halo 3 or Reach betas?

I would imagine netcode - I feel like they didn't stress test the game internationally much at all. The beta was internal right? How many employees outside of America played the beta? Feels like they really skimped out on international netcode.

Striker

Not sure about Countdown, but Arena Zealot is one of the best 4v4 maps we've gotten in a good while. Yeah, the lifts were crummy, but it wasn't littered with lots of power weapons which made the combat primarily revolve around the rifles. If they had a grenade launcher on there at launch rather than a Sword, it would've been even better. I liked that about the MLG variant.

It was Derelict done right.

Havok

Okay, here's another poll:

How many times have you used the grav lift on Solace?
I've seen some folks use it to great effect in CTF during flag runs, but personally, it has never been consistently useful (half the time it'll throw me too low and I'll bounce off the ledge, once to my death). If the core wasn't solid and it was more like the Colossus lift than the shitty Highlands base lifts, I'd use it more. Bouncing backwards is disorienting, being lifted in the direction you step into it and having good awareness and air control (again, like Colossus) is definitely preferable.

It also looks like something that'll instakill you at first glance, rather than sharing the visual elements that every single gravity lift in the entire series has. My roommate, who plays Halo regularly and has done so since 2002, first thought it would kill him if he jumped into it.

Kibbles

lol why do I get booted when my flood mate is standing still and not killing anyone so I kill him to try and get him going

Enfinit

It also looks like something that'll instakill you at first glance, rather than sharing the visual elements that every single gravity lift in the entire series has. My roommate, who plays Halo regularly and has done so since 2002, first thought it would kill him if he jumped into it.

I thought the same thing. I didn't even gather that it was a lift until I saw someone use it for a flag run - the runner died and the flag went up the lift. I also noticed that you can't shoot directly across the thickest part of the beam.

@Duncan - I've used it maybe once. Truth be told, I never find myself on the bottom part of the map after the initial run to grab the Incineration Cannon.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Things that should be looked at;

1. Vehicles in BTB are a joke when the enemy team spawns with stickies and PP's, not to mention DMRs can just rip things apart.
2. Ordinance rewarding someone with Rockets, ANY Sniper, Splazer, or Incineration Cannon is pretty lame. Someone Always seems to have a sniper on Valhalla.
3. Static Global Ordinance should be implemented, or the spawns should at least be looked at. Rockets above a base in a CTF game? Thanks 343. Now i'll just camp, no effort at all.

Ken

Things that should be looked at;

1. Vehicles in BTB are a joke when the enemy team spawns with stickies and PP's, not to mention DMRs can just rip things apart.
2. Ordinance rewarding someone with Rockets, ANY Sniper, Splazer, or Incineration Cannon is pretty lame. Someone Always seems to have a sniper on Valhalla.
3. Static Global Ordinance should be implemented, or the spawns should at least be looked at. Rockets above a base in a CTF game? Thanks 343. Now i'll just camp, no effort at all.

1. Hey man you can have the same loadout as them too.
2. Random ordnance makes it balanceddddddd.
3. Random global ordnance makes it balanced so one team can't just camp a power weapon spawn every time duhhh.

J10

Banned
The random global ordnance seems like it can be unfair. Had a game of CTF on Ragnarok tonight decided by Binary Rifle and Incineration Canon spawning by the other team. It was a close game up until that point. That was a bummer.

Yeah, Arena Zealot in particular I think is head and shoulders over Abandon and Complex, which I'd place in the Epitaph-and-Isolation-thanks-but-no-thanks-tier.

Multi Flag was never shoved on Epitaph that I can remember though, so maybe I think it's better than those two.

Abandon's on your list of "bad" maps? Abandon's one of the best maps in Halo 4. Don't let it's poor application in Multi Flag tarnish what is otherwise a classic. As for Zealot, that always felt like a 2v2 map trying to pose as a 4v4. Is Arena Zealot the version that boards up the silly zero-G section of the map? Such a poor design choice.

Omni

Had a game of CTF on Adrift. So much fun, but the enemy team were using cheap tactics all the way through (active camo objective camping, hiding in corners with boltshots and scattershots). Kinda annoying after a while.

Score was 3 - 3 until the last 15 seconds where they scored again. Oh well

Top Bottom