• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

WJD

Anyone else been experiencing some really laggy games today? Had to quit out the last three I played because it was so bad. Could be on my end, but I dunno if Live is just on the fritz or not at the moment.

I never thought it was great. In fact, I pointed out how slow the movement and strafe looked well before release based on videos we saw. Of course, everyone dismissed that because I hadn't played the game.

When I tried the game pre-release strafing felt great. I'm tempted to say they nerfed it closer to launch.

Blinding

In Halo 2 Vista you get JIP'd into peer hosted games along with server-based games.

I wish there was a better acronym than JIP for this.

Ah, I wouldn't know since I haven't been able to play H2V since switching over to the Family Gold plan. But my point was that with server-based multiplayer games there's no host switching, whoever starts the game, whether it's a server or a peer hosting a game, they're host for the duration, and I don't remember any host switching when I did play H2V ever, even with people rubberbanding all around Coagulation, though I'd figure I'm wrong about that.

Oh man. That's... I've conflicting emotions about that.
The engineer in me is "Oy! I just want to keep my stuff up and reliable. Go away, you're outside my responsibility. The management can't not provide an API explicitly and only give me these resources to have things running AND then support people scraping data".

From a Community involvement and PR standpoint... I'm shocked.

I'd hope Frankie/Ellis/BsAngel would, as they always should in my opinion, tackle the topic full on and not let it fester.

Tawpgun

As far as balancing issues go.

Thruster needs buff, PV needs a larger cooldown, the other AA's are whatever.
Boltshot needs to leave loadouts immediately. Ban Plasmas and Plasma Pistols from loadouts in BTB.

All I can think of right now from playing 2-3 games just now.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Boltshot needs to leave loadouts immediately. Ban Plasmas and Plasma Pistols from loadouts in BTB.

Is the boltshot that good? I could never get the charge shot to do much, I must have always been a step too far away or something. It's normal fire mode isn't great though.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh man. That's... I've conflicting emotions about that.
The engineer in me is "Oy! I just want to keep my stuff up and reliable. Go away, you're outside my responsibility. The management can't not provide an API explicitly and only give me these resources to have things running AND then support people scraping data".

From a Community involvement and PR standpoint... I'm shocked.

I'd hope Frankie/Ellis/BsAngel would, as they always should in my opinion, tackle the topic full on and not let it fester.

On it. Could be an automated thing that's looking for abusive IPs/bots/spammers, or it could be the way they're crawling the site. Either way we're investigating.

On it. Could be an automated thing that's looking for abusive IPs/bots/spammers, or it could be the way they're crawling the site. Either way we're investigating.
*Chuck Norris thumbsUp.gif*

The way it should be, transparent confidence, :).

And yes, it being an autoban should have occurred to me.

I disagree with most of this. Thruster is better than you think; you can completely change direction in mid-air for fucks sake. It saves me from so much shit; its like a super strafe. With that said, buff away, nobody I play against uses it so I'll just kick more ass. PV is the one i'm indifferent towards out of the things you mentioned, but I still don't have too much of a problem going up against it.

Boltshot takes some skill to use. I'ts like a shotgun, sure, but it's a shotgun where you get 1 shot, have to charge it, and the charge has to be at the exact right moment.

Plasma grenades and pistols are necessary in BTB...I hate vehicles; they're all overpowered (except maybe the ghost). Anything to counter them is welcome. You still have to stick them with plasma grenades, and the pistol only puts them out of commission for a few seconds.

Louis Wu

Firestream went to pretty big lengths to ensure he wouldn't abuse the system; he samples 4 times an hour, or less than 100 times/day. If that's enough to trigger an automatic block, the auto system is set too low. :)

Tawpgun

Hmm, I'll have to play around with it more. I could never kill anyone with it. Maybe it's only good for people with high K/D ratios.

:p

Well it helps to be good at the game for sure. Either way, I only have it in one of my loadouts but it is so op. The thing is literally more powerful and versatile than the halo 3 Mauler. You wait around the corner, charge it up, charge the guy, boom. If he's too far away you'll likely strip shields, at which point you can just HEADSHOT them with the boltshot.

They should have kept it as a super high ROF headshot gun. Like human pistol : DMR, boltshot : Carbine

Risen

All I see when I read that is "get rid of everything that kills me" . You still hate the laser too don't you?

IHaveIce

Banned
God I want a normal Slayer playlist ...

And nice idea to put the sword on Adrift, if didn't learn from countdown that sword on that small corridor maps is extremely annpoying I don't know ..

This game could be so good, but most of the settings are just trash

Fix the spawns on some maps, no instant respawn, no global ordinance - fixed weapon spawns, and if you want to please me for good.. no personal ordinance or fix it that not everyone runs with shotguns, swords or snipers around..

CyReN

barkley-head-shake-o.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What's wrong with personal ordinance in designated Infinity playlists? I find those lists fun to jump into. They are akin to Fiesta, but nowhere near as off the wall. Still give you a slayer experience, with a bit of added power weapon influence.

Also I'm cool with instant spawn (outside of CTF). I don't feel I ever get screwed by it really.

What's wrong with personal ordinance in designated Infinity playlists? I find those lists fun to jump into. They are akin to Fiesta, but nowhere near as off the wall. Still give you a slayer experience, with a bit of added power weapon influence.

Also I'm cool with instant spawn (outside of CTF). I don't feel I ever get screwed by it really.
You've in a sense said they've combined a toned down fiesta and Team Slayer and made it the defacto Team Slayer playist.
On what planet, is that not totally fucked?

As for instant respawn, surely if people whose opinions you respect say they've been killed by those who they just killed and spawned back in before their shields refilled that you would be less than cool with it?

BigShow36

"10 NEW ARMOR ITEMS!!!!"

Goes to customize spartan

LOOK AT THESE NEW ITEMS THAT YOU'VE UNLOCKED EXCEPT YOU CAN'T ACTUALLY USE THEM FOR ANOTHER 30 LEVELS!!

I actually really like the personal ordnance system. I just wish it were more predictable, and that it were available in some objective playlists in some form.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
You've in a sense said they've combined a toned down fiesta and Team Slayer and made it the defacto Team Slayer playist.
On what planet, is that not totally fucked?

They added other playlists for people not enjoying those. I do say they need a non-Infinity BTB playlist (with objective) in, and that they should continue to listen to folks about how to tweak the Slayer Pro list, but people seem to like Infinity. Move Pro to the top of the list if it matters that much.

As for instant respawn, surely if people whose opinions you respect say they've been killed by those who they just killed and spawned back in before their shields refilled that you would be less than cool with it?

Of course, but that seems like a spawn location issue more than instant respawn.

Tawpgun

All I see when I read that is "get rid of everything that kills me" . You still hate the laser too don't you?

I think lock on rockets were the perfect anti vehicle weapon.

As far as the get rid of everything that kills me thing, quite the opposite. I picked up a boltshot off the ground and went to TOWN. I was laughing the entire time. I had a power weapon in my hands. That you could SPAWN with. There's no way thats ok.

They added other playlists for people not enjoying those. I do say they need a non-Infinity BTB playlist (with objective) in, and that they should continue to listen to folks about how to tweak the Slayer Pro list, but people seem to like Infinity. Move Pro to the top of the list if it matters that much.
Slayer Pro certainly is a better playlist, sure.
Of course, but that seems like a spawn location issue more than instant respawn.
If you're implementing instant respawn then do you know owe it to get these spawn locations right? Do you sacrifice map design for this?

How do you support CoD Halo & Classic Halo at the same time?
I mean that question in every sense of the question - Maps, Gametypes, Population, Resources & more.

Redford

aka Cabbie
I really hope they don't coddle and defend instant-respawn for the majority of this game's life. It does nothing but warp map control and there are better ways (that have already been implemented) to speed up base gameplay.

It really seems to fall in with the theme of mitigating death and failure as much as possible.
---
Also the impression I got about global ordnance when it was introduced was that it would work more like the specialization that notifies you of an incoming drop's ETA and location. Would have at least given a team unlucky enough to be red or blue a fighting chance at grabbing a PW on the other team's side.

Thankfully global ordnance is as bad as it could possibly be, hopefully it's adjusted because any would improve.

Don't like it at all. You essentially become your own wingman, and can take out the guy who out-rifled you before his/her shields have a chance to come back. Much like the problems with Spartan Ops, there are absolutely no repercussions to dying in the majority of playlists. You even get to keep your ordnance call, which is ridiculous.

Don't like it at all. You essentially become your own wingman, and can take out the guy who out-rifled you before his/her shields have a chance to come back. Much like the problems with Spartan Ops, there are absolutely no repercussions to dying in the majority of playlists. You even get to keep your ordnance call, which is ridiculous.

It's not like you spawn where you die, so killing someone before their shields go back up is pretty rare. And why wouldn't you be able to keep your ordnance call? If you don't use it you don't use it. You get it for getting a certain number of points; a death doesn't change that.

FyreWulff

So I just tried Flood for the first time today. Barring the limitations as an actual gametype for customs, that was pretty fun. Dat megathrust. Also something great about getting assassinations as the flood.

willow ve

The playlist should read

Infinity Slayer
Slayer Pro
Infinity Big Team Slayer
Big Team Battle
SWAT

As it stands now it feels like Slayer Pro is a leftover. And when you're actively cultivating a player base that is born and bred to "mash X to respawn right away" I would wager the collective ADD doesn't allow them to scroll down that far in the list of hoppers.

Yuck, banning Plasma Grenades and Plasma Pistols from BTB or any vehicle-heavy gametype is a terrible, terrible idea. The Plasma Pistol is the only reason that these gametypes are tolerable, otherwise if your base is overrun with vehicles you have no recourse.

Gray Man

Banned
I think lock on rockets were the perfect anti vehicle weapon.

As far as the get rid of everything that kills me thing, quite the opposite. I picked up a boltshot off the ground and went to TOWN. I was laughing the entire time. I had a power weapon in my hands. That you could SPAWN with. There's no way thats ok.

If you miss with the boltshot, and that is something that is very easy to do, you have to wait for it to cool down, at that point, you will already have no shields just like them. It would be just as easy to Noob Combo, or rapid fire pistol.

def sim

Major Nelson's tweet only lists the requirement "who have been with us the longest"

What am I missing. Is this like a top 10 thing - down to the second that you registered?

Oh, I didn't realize they're talking more about it now. Anyway, some kid at reddit received one even though he has only been a member since 2004, but has a ridiculously high gamerscore.

Ramirez

Thruster is fine, it's not a super strafe, which I don't think they intended it to be. Good for dodging grenades, and making some jumps easier.

PV needs to be nuked from orbit, but the Boltshot is fine. Its primary fire is terrible, and you have to be super close for it to be a OHK. Without the PP, BTB would be absolutely dominated by vehicles, people complain about the Mantis on here daily, but you want to remove one of the most effective ways to take it out? The tank/gauss are almost indestructible with PP loadouts, don't even want to imagine without them.

Take the wheelman spec when it opens up if the PP's are bothering you that much...

senador

Banned
Thruster is fine, it's not a super strafe, which I don't think they intended it to be. Good for dodging grenades, and making some jumps easier.

PV needs to be nuked from orbit, but the Boltshot is fine. Its primary fire is terrible, and you have to be super close for it to be a OHK. Without the PP, BTB would be absolutely dominated by vehicles, people complain about the Mantis on here daily, but you want to remove one of the most effective ways to take it out? The tank/gauss are almost indestructible with PP loadouts, don't even want to imagine without them.

Take the wheelman spec when it opens up if the PP's are bothering you that much...

Thanks, this is how I feel too about the things mentioned. Though I'd welcome a slight increase in Thruster speed or distance.

Top Bottom