• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT12| Last One Out, Get the Lights

Sissel

those are the kinds of things that the people who have a say in the Halo design process want in a game or to put it in a broad way: literally no one involved in Contemporary AAAA First Person Shooter Design likes, or understands good FPSes
Yup. This philosophy of cramming as much shit as possible in FPS is the worst (see CoD MW2 on, Halo 4, Reach)

DesertFox

Like I said, I'll test this. My hypothesis from my playtime is

When used on ground, thrust is the same speed or slower than walking. Sprint is faster. Sprint jump is better than sprint jump + thrust.

If you or tashi want to tell us the secrets of this AA then do tell. It was my favorite AA before I played the game.

Thrust is slower than sprinting. I know this with certainty because in Spartan Ops me and my teammate were sprinting next to eachother and I hit Thruster and ended up behind him. If I could clip SpOps I would show you but...

Gazzawa

Do you think they will use multiplayer maps in Spartan ops?
Everyone talks about the design of complex.
Maybe it was originally only intended for SpOps.
Lol if true

Are the XP grinds going to be as bad as reach?
They opposite. I calculated yesterday that it will take me 3 months from launch to reach SR-130, and much of HaloGAF has played much more than me.
WAT

So before it even officially launched it still beat MW3.
Yeah that makes no sense, the week of November 5th is the week that Halo 4 came out, and there is no way it was top of the charts the week before it launched. That's just not possible.
Any word on when that first map pack is hitting? I would assume early December with the holidays and all, hope we get to see one of the maps in the next (next week!)WU...
No word, but it has to be early December. They'll want to get it out prior to the Holiday season.

-----------------------

Holy shit my pants GTA V, looks incredible.

------------------------

Something that I'm dealing with in Halo 4 right now that's a new experience for me. I don't pretend to be some pro Halo player, and there is certainly plenty of HaloGAF players much better than me, but I've always been better than most of the matchmaking world out there (not just in Halo either, other shooters that I play). The thing I've been dealing with in Halo 4 is that I suck. It's odd, there isn't really anything about the gameplay that puts me off the game much, but I'm just getting sick of playing mediocre compared to the rest of the field. Turns out donging on people all the time is fun.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Losing a game because of fortunate spawns of power weapons sucks. It's not competitive, it's not balanced, it's not skill determining the outcome, it's handing wins out based on chance.

Playing with Tashi the other night on Abandoned, we have a one kill lead and position with very little time left in the game, the last spawn of weapons comes up, the other team gets a sniper... we get a needler.

That scenario is really preferred by people compared to being in complete control of your own outcome? People really like tilted playing fields that move based on percent chance?

I get it - if you want to be luckily rewarded and still have a chance to win even though you've been out played... fine. But say so - camping power weapons was never a problem. The problem is people thinking controlling the power weapons because of a higher skill set was a bad thing. Just because something is "dynamic" doesn't mean it's good.

If you get shit on trying to get a power weapon in a static spawn and timer, that's your bad. If you get shit on with lead, position, and time on your side because of a fortunate spawn in the game... that's the game's bad.

We actually didn't get anything. And also they were in better position to get those last Rockets. I blame myself for not being ready for those rockets though, I should have been down there to grab them like I usually am. But yea, it's annoying. I wish there was just some slight pattern I could learn where the higher level people knew the spawns but for all intents and purposes it was still random to the casual players.

edit: Yuhas, I think that means matchmaking is working.

Ramirez

Like I said, I'll test this. My hypothesis from my playtime is

When used on ground, thrust is the same speed or slower than walking. Sprint is faster. Sprint jump is better than sprint jump + thrust.

If you or tashi want to tell us the secrets of this AA then do tell. It was my favorite AA before I played the game.

Well for one, you can't sprint backwards or sideways, so that alone gives you a huge advantage when dodging grenades, or simply getting into cover when one shot. You can't use the AA as a last second strafe, like I said, I don't think that was ever its intended purpose.

orznge

Banned
At Halo 4 design meeting.

REALLY EXCITED EVERYONE! GOT A FEW IDEAS!

"Random weapon spawn locations" appears on a Powerpoint slide with some Master Chief clipart and a stock photo of a man in a suit, but the crowd is underwhelmed somehow

WAIT I'M NOT DONE - it's called GLOBAL ORDINANCE and it's DYNAMIC; PLAYERS HAVE MORE CHOICES NOW

People at the table start going crazy and cheering

Tashi

Well for one, you can't sprint backwards or sideways, so that alone gives you a huge advantage when dodging grenades, or simply getting into cover when one shot. You can't use the AA as a last second strafe, like I said, I don't think that was ever its intended purpose.

I used it on Vortex last night to dodge a charged boltshot. I teabagged that kid soooo hard after I killed him...with my AR of course :)

We actually didn't get anything. And also they were in better position to get those last Rockets. I blame myself for not being ready for those rockets though, I should have been down there to grab them like I usually am. But yea, it's annoying. I wish there was just some slight pattern I could learn where the higher level people knew the spawns but for all intents and purposes it was still random to the casual players.

They spawn at a "soft" interval, it seems, so as long as you're positioning well X minutes into a match, you'll be primed to make a weapon pickup.

I imagine this feature of global ordnance will make the Engineer specialization all that much more valuable.

Any more word on this?

Preorder or Unlock?

NkHAw.jpg

Hopefully all this preorder crap becomes available latter. Its a bad anti consumer tactic.

Redford

aka Cabbie
Thruster is magical in the way it can fuck up that last shot somehow.. surprise I guess. I've gotten around tons of corners safely, it has the same psychological effect for me as strongsiding, really.

Conor 419

Banned
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!

Got my first Double Kill in my Halo multiplayer career history today! I'm really enjoying how this new game plays, competitively. I'm thinking of entering an MLG tournament, when are the next major ones?

Edit - Also if anyone wants some helpful tips on how to play the game, PM me. I noticed some members like Tashi are struggling with the general feel of the game. I'll admit it requires hard work and dedication, but luckily there are guys like me around to get the chums on their feet.

Edit 2 - Nice to see people pm'ing me already.

Tashi

They spawn at a "soft" interval, it seems, so as long as you're positioning well X minutes into a match, you'll be primed to make a weapon pickup.

I imagine this feature of global ordnance will make the Engineer specialization all that much more valuable.

No they spawn on a strict 2 minute interval (Definitely for Infinity Slayer and Slayer Pro) and depending on the map and actual drop location, it could either be a single weapon(like the rockets on Abandon) or it could be one of 2 or 3 weapons (Needler/StickyDet/Scatter Shot on Haven) I still have to go in forge and check that Haven one. Solace is probably the only place where you can really prepare for weapons. If you hang around the front of either base every 2 minutes, you should be in decent position for a weapon. The problem is that you could be a Jungle base and have a weapon spawn at Smooth base. On Abandon, like Risen said, we basically had the high ground and "map control" but the 2nd to last drop was the beach sniper. And then rockets spawned bottom ring 1 lift and because of the way the building is setup, if you're on the beach side, you have a much better angle to get rockets.

Ramirez

Ragnarok CTF exists and it is hilarious, spawn camping with the mantis.. YES

I meant BTB CTF.

You have to be playing some really bad kids to spawn camp with the Mantis, literally one PP shot and it's done, no clue what people are doing...

I mean we joined a game the other night with 2 Banshees & a Mantis camping our base and we tied the game up by the end of it!

Tashi

I meant BTB CTF.

You have to be playing some really bad kids to spawn camp with the Mantis, literally one PP shot and it's done, no clue what people are doing...

I mean we joined a game the other night with 2 Banshees & a Mantis camping our base and we tied the game up by the end of it!

And with the ability to actually modify loadouts while in game, there's no excuse. Unless you haven't unlocked it of course :lol

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
kill yourself lol
kill yourself ;-) ?

I'm kinda sad that my first Killtacular was in Flood. :(
I got one killtac on Haven, and three overkills already. This game makes me feel like a god. If only Steitzer would tell me I'm a god. :-(

Every single time I've attempted to board a Mantis, I get shot across the map with the DMR and die.

Duo014

Hey gaf!

I have an extra pulse armor with helmet with br artic skin, pm me if you want to trade ( want a deadeye helmet )

Thruster talk
I have two loadouts for smaller maps, one with Thruster and one with Hologram. Thruster doesn't really help me make jumps any easier (I'm no Tashi), but it absolutely helps in jetting backwards or to the side away from grenades, vehicles, even assassinations. I didn't like it at first, but now that I understand it's limitations and where it's most useful, it's my go-to AA.

Any more word on this?

Preorder or Unlock?

NkHAw.jpg

Hopefully all this preorder crap becomes available latter. Its a bad anti consumer tactic.

Someone said it was for rank 130.

Also the Halo pre order stuff aint so bad, you can unlock a lot of the armours in game anyway, Call of Duty on the other hand has a multiplayer map as a pre-order bonus which is terrible.

WJD

Doing my Legendary run now and the checkpoint system is a bit poo.

It is reminding me how gorgeous the first few missions are though.

Trey

Poker faced, deadnames: quit spoiling Halo 5.

If they are seriously considering altering some things for a patch, please god apply them to the whole of matchmaking..

If we're talking sound effects then yes.

(Beam Rifle feels really easy to snapshot with)

Why must matchmaking be an either/or proposition? Splitting the player base shouldn't be an issue when a good portion of the population wants a game without global ordnance, and another portion does. Let people play what they want to play. You don't have to duplicate the playlists, either.

CliQ

I have two loadouts for smaller maps, one with Thruster and one with Hologram. Thruster doesn't really help me make jumps any easier (I'm no Tashi), but it absolutely helps in jetting backwards or to the side away from grenades, vehicles, even assassinations. I didn't like it at first, but now that I understand it's limitations and where it's most useful, it's my go-to AA.

I actually find myself using a mix of jetpack and thruster. Even on big maps thruster has its uses. I find it nice to use to get behind corners quickly. But really jetpack is pretty superior to finish of those people that hide behind a rock with no shields.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Someone said it was for rank 130.

Also the Halo pre order stuff aint so bad, you can unlock a lot of the armours in game anyway, Call of Duty on the other hand has a multiplayer map as a pre-order bonus which is terrible.

They did, but then I picked it up yesterday and everyone gets it. So I am confused at why I even pre-ordered.

No they spawn on a strict 2 minute interval (Definitely for Infinity Slayer and Slayer Pro) and depending on the map and actual drop location, it could either be a single weapon(like the rockets on Abandon) or it could be one of 2 or 3 weapons (Needler/StickyDet/Scatter Shot on Haven) I still have to go in forge and check that Haven one. Solace is probably the only place where you can really prepare for weapons. If you hang around the front of either base every 2 minutes, you should be in decent position for a weapon. The problem is that you could be a Jungle base and have a weapon spawn at Smooth base. On Abandon, like Risen said, we basically had the high ground and "map control" but the 2nd to last drop was the beach sniper. And then rockets spawned bottom ring 1 lift and because of the way the building is setup, if you're on the beach side, you have a much better angle to get rockets.

Oh, it's strict? I'm terrible at time-keeping apparently. I was guessing drops and was always off by a handful of seconds. Checking Forge for weapon spawns is a great idea, though. It'd be nice if the announcer would chime in with "RESUPPLY" ala Dominion or something to key people into checking their ordnance indicators.

Thanks for the input, Tashi.

The thing I've been dealing with in Halo 4 is that I suck. It's odd, there isn't really anything about the gameplay that puts me off the game much, but I'm just getting sick of playing mediocre compared to the rest of the field. Turns out donging on people all the time is fun.

I've had a problem with this all week. If I play solo I tend to put up better numbers, but if I play with the same GAFers that I played Reach with, suddenly I can't get headshots and I'm getting 29 assists and 11 kills. I hate to be that guy, but I think Reach's netcode was better. Hopefully I'm just bad OR Halo 4 needs more time to figure out who is a good host and who isn't.

kylej

Banned
I haven't played any good FPS in any competent capacity, but as I am a fan of the post-CE Halo games let me go ahead and regurgitate every "ignore any good element of FPS mechanics from the last 20 years" platitude that the devs have churned out and repeat it until I'm out of breath. I didn't like the previous Halo games because the game's strategy was just too shallow and I applaud 343 for taking the tired FPS offerings of yesteryear and bringing them into the future.

The only concern I have is that not enough randomness will be added to the next Halo game, leaving Halo 5 in the dust when compared to other, newer games that offer more random elements.

It's not random, it's dynamic. This is because we chose the phrase "Global Ordinance."

those are the kinds of things that the people who have a say in the Halo design process want in a game or to put it in a broad way: literally no one involved in Contemporary AAAA First Person Shooter Design likes, or understands good FPSes

At Halo 4 design meeting.

REALLY EXCITED EVERYONE! GOT A FEW IDEAS!

"Random weapon spawn locations" appears on a Powerpoint slide with some Master Chief clipart and a stock photo of a man in a suit, but the crowd is underwhelmed somehow

WAIT I'M NOT DONE - it's called GLOBAL ORDINANCE and it's DYNAMIC; PLAYERS HAVE MORE CHOICES NOW

People at the table start going crazy and cheering

so good

Risen

edit: Yuhas, I think that means matchmaking is working.

Rockets were in the middle and easily accessible to both... those weren't the issue. My issue is them, by chance alone getting a sniper on that spawn, while we do not. We DID have the better position, we had the high side of the map. You in purp, me yellow, cam on the cliff, and medin top mid.

Game looks a lot different if we get a balanced weapon spawn... or if we get the snipe and they don't... we had to turtle hard because of their fortunate snipe... If snipe spawns on our side... I'm willing to bet a shit ton we win that game if it's in any of our hands.

If there was a way to predict that spawn with certainty, then we are fighting over position to grab that and we win or lose on our own merits. The way it is now, wins and losses will be the result of a playing field tilted by percent chance.

Gazzawa

I am hoping the Spartan Ops story picks up in the coming episodes, right now it seems to just be another way to earn XP.
Me too man. It's a 10 week thing. If it doesn't get good in the next 2-3 weeks it'll mean that at least half of it sucks. That's jumping the gun a bit but other than the cutscenes there is no sign of life for this mode.

I've had a problem with this all week. If I play solo I tend to put up better numbers, but if I play with the same GAFers that I played Reach with, suddenly I can't get headshots and I'm getting 29 assists and 11 kills. I hate to be that guy, but I think Reach's netcode was better. Hopefully I'm just bad OR Halo 4 needs more time to figure out who is a good host and who isn't.

Reach online experience has been unquestionably smoother so far for myself.

Top Bottom