• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enfinit

I always hope that my jokes are alleviated by the fact I really do care about the franchise. I wouldn't still be here if I didn't, and I certainly wouldn't be helping with a Halo site, creating content, and constantly wishing the best for the series.

I realize GAF probably isn't best suited for my style of posting, but I'd like to think I'm familiar with most of the regulars by now that they understand that.

So, sincerely happy holidays everyone! I'm gonna hop on for a few slayer matches if anyone wants to play in about 15 minutes. <3

PS:

RIP Halo

YOU'RE LUCKY YOU'RE SO DAMN HANDSOME

u4iX, you call those jokes.. Society calls that blatant disrespect. Maybe you shouldn't be posting things like that if you want to be taken seriously in your Halo endeavours.

Apparently people have found a way to make Giant or Mini Flood with a few hex edits. Also here are apparently some hidden game options

I suppose I can understand why some of these aren't in the final game... I'd really like for 343i to comment on this. Comment on any criticism, really. Directly. But I know they're just going to sidestep it and regurgitate something like, "We listen to the community and consider feedback. We're removing every playlist except BTB and check out this awesome truck."

So I got the Halo 4...guide thing. Whatever it is. The book with the MC and the Didact's cryptum on the cover. In the back are interviews with several members from 343 Industries. An enlarged, key quote from Scott Warner – "Within the Halo sandbox, I think we managed to create another 30 seconds of fun" – caught my eye, so I read his first. The interview provided some...interesting insights into the development process behind the campaign. I'll post the most fascinating things below:

"And if you were to look at what the big changes from previous Halo games are, it's the introduction of the new race, and our decision to move away from over-emphasizing huge combat spaces – like the ones you see in Halo 3 and Reach – in exchange for bringing some more tight linear environments back into the game. When you go back to the first Halo, there are many fantastic fights, like the one out of Pillar of Autumn, that are really excellent because they are more linear and tight."

"Another area of the game that we explored early on but ended up backing away from, was the idea of having major setpiece moments that didn't interrupt the sandbox."

"We started with the multiplayer first in establishing the overall sandbox balance, and then applied that back into the campaign."

In response to the question of what he would most want to improve for the next Halo:

"Our resistance to change. Now that I've gotten to the end of this, my perspective has changed completely from being very faithful to the original games, to I'd love to do a lot more original stuff. To feel less precious about what existed before, because I think it's inhibited us in some ways. Now, I think we can go anywhere with it creatively. And we should."

Edit:

On the thing he's most proud of in the campaign:

"The Prometheans, because we created a brand new race that's interesting to fight against and feels really fresh. Within the Halo sandbox, I think we managed to create another '30 seconds of fun.' I think we addressed some of the concerns that existed with the Flood, in terms of them being one-dimensional, and also gave us another tool help avoid player fatigue."
Christmas is ruined.

Talents

Banned
OMG, Christmas is the BEST. I got

Nike Airs
Pullup bar
Calvin Kleins
Keg of Budweiser
Beer mug
Advanced Guide to 19th century Politics
A gift Tattoo of my choice

And a brand new white cap!

It's been the SICKEST day, chums! Hope you all have a great christmas!
Nike air max? You got good taste in shoes man!

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
So I got the Halo 4...guide thing. Whatever it is. The book with the MC and the Didact's cryptum on the cover. In the back are interviews with several members from 343 Industries. An enlarged, key quote from Scott Warner – "Within the Halo sandbox, I think we managed to create another 30 seconds of fun" – caught my eye, so I read his first. The interview provided some...interesting insights into the development process behind the campaign. I'll post the most fascinating things below:

"And if you were to look at what the big changes from previous Halo games are, it's the introduction of the new race, and our decision to move away from over-emphasizing huge combat spaces – like the ones you see in Halo 3 and Reach – in exchange for bringing some more tight linear environments back into the game. When you go back to the first Halo, there are many fantastic fights, like the one out of Pillar of Autumn, that are really excellent because they are more linear and tight."

"Another area of the game that we explored early on but ended up backing away from, was the idea of having major setpiece moments that didn't interrupt the sandbox."

"We started with the multiplayer first in establishing the overall sandbox balance, and then applied that back into the campaign."

In response to the question of what he would most want to improve for the next Halo:

"Our resistance to change. Now that I've gotten to the end of this, my perspective has changed completely from being very faithful to the original games, to I'd love to do a lot more original stuff. To feel less precious about what existed before, because I think it's inhibited us in some ways. Now, I think we can go anywhere with it creatively. And we should."

Edit:

On the thing he's most proud of in the campaign:

"The Prometheans, because we created a brand new race that's interesting to fight against and feels really fresh. Within the Halo sandbox, I think we managed to create another '30 seconds of fun.' I think we addressed some of the concerns that existed with the Flood, in terms of them being one-dimensional, and also gave us another tool help avoid player fatigue."

That entire thing makes me face palm. As for the promethians I'd rather fight the flood.

Tunavi

Banned
Some people shy away from negativity.

Just like some people's favorite comic is Louis CK or George Carlin, and UNKNOWN iXi's is Dane Cook.
People are acting like H4 has a classic playlist and is actually good.

I don't think I've seen a halogaf party on for weeks. The winter Break after Reach released we were playing tons of games. This game absolutely demolished the community.

For those looking to get the Halo 4 Official Game Guide for the interviews, make sure you get the limited edition. As Hypertrooper tells me on Twitter, the normal edition doesn't have 'em.

Merry Christmas, HaloGAF. I'm very pleased with this year's haul.

-Read My Lips, Shoot from the Hip, and Trip the Light Fantastic &#8211; physical copies of Sophie's first three albums.
-Forward Unto Dawn on DVD
-Limited Edition of the Halo 4 Official Game Guide
-$450 (gonna spend this on girl clothes :])
-Pixar Shorts Collection 1 and 2
-TNG S1 and S2 on Blu-Ray (gonna have to email Paramount to get replacement discs for S1, audio problems)
-Homeland S1
-Other clothes and things.

I also want to give away my Halo 4 spec code complete with the map pack, along with the spec code I got from MS for playing the game within a certain amount of time. Any regulars who want the H4 spec code first off? And anyone else?

GrizzNKev

Banned
For those looking to get the Halo 4 Official Game Guide for the interviews, make sure you get the limited edition. As Hypertrooper tells me on Twitter, the normal edition doesn't have 'em.

Merry Christmas, HaloGAF. I'm very pleased with this year's haul.

-Read My Lips, Shoot from the Hip, and Trip the Light Fantastic – physical copies of Sophie's first three albums.
-Forward Unto Dawn on DVD
-Limited Edition of the Halo 4 Official Game Guide
-$450 (gonna spend this on girl clothes :])
-Pixar Shorts Collection 1 and 2
-TNG S1 and S2 on Blu-Ray (gonna have to email Paramount to get replacement discs of S1, audio problems)
-Homeland S1
-Other clothes and things.

I also want to give away my Halo 4 spec code complete with the map pack, along with the spec code I got from MS for playing the game within a certain amount of time. Any regulars who want the H4 spec code first off? And anyone else?

I don't think I qualify as a regular even though lots of people here know me, but when I try to enter my spec code it says it's already in use. So I kinda need one.

FyreWulff

That's not the reason they made it linear. I think it's because they wanted to dumb down the level design.

Let's be serious though, Halo hasn't really been that non-linear.

Halo 1? That's pretty much just "Halo". Silent Cartographer has the illusion of non-linearity, but it's really a line that folds in over itself a couple of times, kind of like Halo 3's Crow's Nest.

Halo 2? I wouldn't qualify any level in that game as non-linear.

Halo 3? The Ark has a taste of it.

Reach? New Alexandria.

ODST? It lets you choose which missions to persue, the city pretty much serves as a backdrop to Sadie's Story. Also, to make the city, they just modeled half of it and mirrored it to the other side.

Halo 2 is still probably the worst offender of it though because of all the Halo 2: The Ride segments.

edit: But then again they went through hell getting the moving BSP tech to work so maybe they went a bit overboard with it once it was working.

u4iX

It's more like some shitty no-name comic being offensive for the sake of being offensive.

XrxMc.gif

Tawpgun

New avatar is meta

ps fuck ninja trolls. Scariest class in the goddamn game.

Wow, just noticed the OP was updated. I'm not sure if KyleJ is trolling, or he really means the things he says. I seriously doubt this attitude carries over to Xbox live on a mic. You probably joke about all the fun things you did in the game.

lol.

1. Kyle is pretty consistent on gaf and on live.
2. Kyle barely plays halo anymore :p

Karl2177

Halo 1? That's pretty much just "Halo". Silent Cartographer has the illusion of non-linearity, but it's really a line that folds in over itself a couple of times, kind of like Halo 3's Crow's Nest.

Reach? New Alexandria.

ODST? It lets you choose which missions to persue, the city pretty much serves as a backdrop to Sadie's Story. Also, to make the city, they just modeled half of it and mirrored it to the other side.

Halo 2 is still probably the worst offender of it though because of all the Halo 2: The Ride segments.

edit: But then again they went through hell getting the moving BSP tech to work so maybe they went a bit overboard with it once it was working.

Aside from Halo 2, it was masked really well. Halo 4 feels like the linearity was emphasized with waypoints galore.

Reach? New Alexandria.

Don't forget ONI: Sword Base

FyreWulff

Aside from Halo 2, it was masked really well. Halo 4 feels like the linearity was emphasized with waypoints galore.

Oh yeah, liberal use of Waypoints didn't do them any favors. Where before you'd probably explore a bit, check out sections and look around, it's like the game goes "Hey, come over here to advance! No need to check out or investigate the scenery, just follow me around for a bit". In previous games they'd at least wait a while before a character would tell you what to do or drop a waypoint in.

In 4, it's like "investigate this area!" me: okay, let's go expl" V ACTIVATE"

Don't forget ONI: Sword Base

I really liked ONI's design. And Reach Racer. All those button-based easter eggs.

Akai__

Wow, just noticed the OP was updated. I'm not sure if KyleJ is trolling, or he really means the things he says. I seriously doubt this attitude carries over to Xbox live on a mic. You probably joke about all the fun things you did in the game.

When you lose more then 90% of your XBL friends, because Halo isn't fun anymore to your friends, you may or may not feel like him. Totally understand him. It's not like he is just a troll, it's the way he feels about this situation and he makes sometimes pretty good posts, too.

And if you read through the last pages of |OT12|, you will know, why he posted this OT.

I'm not KyleJ's lawyer. :lol

Edit: People should not freak out, because he posted this "joke OT". Let us have some fun!

Tawpgun

Yeah but Halo has never advertised itself as being open ended other than ODST.

The way Bungie described it, it was like linear tunnels leading to open areas where you fight it out. This is how Halo 3 was for the most part. In Halo 4 we have the Pelican mission, but even then you're only getting 2 options, same everytime. Poor homage to New Alexandria, but I admit flying a Pelican was sweet and the environment was cool.

Reclaimer was the only mission with the old Bungie design of big battles. But the only battle that large happens after you get Librarianed. Even then, it was super tame compared to what we got in Halo 3.

Hopefully Halo 5 campaign blows us away with its SCALE the same way Halo 3 did on a newer system. But from those quotes Dax pulled it seems like they are going to focus on linear set pieces and graphics :/

I just had a pretty eye opening moment.
My brother was begging me to play Halo 4 with him, but I wanted to play COD.
Eventually I relented and he asked me how long I'd play halo with him.
I said "I'll play Halo until I get frustrated, then I'm going on COD."

To put this into perspective...
I didn't play Modern Warfare 1 for a year and a half because I felt that there was too much bullshit in it, and I just preferred the fair gameplay of Halo.

Oh how times have changed.

DeadNames

Banned
I got:

A ukelele
A 10$ Gamestop giftcard
Sunglasses
A jacket
Boots
A pull up bar.

Not bad.

And a Brute chopper megablocks set.

RIP the Chopper :'(

Booties

Banned
Here's some more quotes.

"The studio was never good at Firefight, so we decided to make Spartan Ops."

"We really thought that the Call of Duty fanbase would appreciate the changes, and when you're in a 10 year relationship, it's hard to call it quits, so we know we at least had the initial sales of the hard core fans."

"We outsourced a lot of the jobs to other studios so we could blame it on them when Microsoft came knocking."

Looks like I got salt for Christmas.

Happy holidays anyway everyone!

This is awesome, good post.

u4iX, you call those jokes.. Society calls that blatant disrespect. Maybe you shouldn't be posting things like that if you want to be taken seriously in your Halo endeavours.

I like how people think society is breaking down because of a sarcastic post in a halo community forum.

Tawpgun

U4ix is understandably mad. He comes from a competetive Halo community and was a prominent member of it. That community started dwindling during Reach and Halo 4 didn't help it at all.

Then on the other side we have CoD, the laughing stock of the competetive shooter community now has spectator mode, ranks, live streaming.

343 made an alright game, especially for their first endevour, but it sure as hell wasn't targetted toward the competetive in mind, nor most people here.

343 being silent on many of these issues doesn't help at all. Benefit of the doubt puts them on vacation, which they do deserve for their hard work. I just hope after new years we get

1. Explanation of why shit isn't working/why certain choices were made (latter probably won't happen)

2. Acknowledgement and hopefully plan to fix problems (balance, red x, ordnance)

Booties

Banned
U4ix is understandably mad. He comes from a competetive Halo community and was a prominent member of it. That community started dwindling during Reach and Halo 4 didn't help it at all.

Then on the other side we have CoD, the laughing stock of the competetive shooter community now has spectator mode, ranks, live streaming.

343 made an alright game, especially for their first endevour, but it sure as hell wasn't targetted toward the competetive in mind, nor most people here.

343 being silent on many of these issues doesn't help at all. Benefit of the doubt puts them on vacation, which they do deserve for their hard work. I just hope after new years we get

1. Explanation of why shit isn't working/why certain choices were made (latter probably won't happen)

2. Acknowledgement and hopefully plan to fix problems (balance, red x, ordnance)

I need to know why they changed CTF. It makes no sense. 5v5 on adrift is so stupid. The spawns are pretty bad as well.

willow ve

I need to know why they changed CTF. It makes no sense. 5v5 on adrift is so stupid. The spawns are pretty bad as well.

Adrift, in general, is pretty bad. I'm still waiting for the gametype that makes Adrift a worthwhile map. Oh well, better than complex.

Pretty much all of this. I was home for the holidays with my brothers. One of them used to be a hardcore Halo fanboy and he averaged at least 2 hours of gaming per day over the life of Halo 2 and Halo 3 (all on those games). With Halo 4 he plays his roommates copy and didn't even ask for it for Christmas. He's moved on to Call of Duty as, in his words, "COD has always been a random and crazy killing spree - there isn't balance or order and I don't expect it to have that. Halo was always about balance, order, and true competitive games. With Halo 4 that's no longer around so I would rather just play COD."

Booties

Banned
Adrift, in general, is pretty bad. I'm still waiting for the gametype that makes Adrift a worthwhile map. Oh well, better than complex.

It's probably a slayer-only map. Probably good for infection, but I've never played that once so I have no idea. Aside from all the big problems I have with this game, it just doesn't feel good. Guns sound dumb, can't tell if I'm being hit, too much crap on the maps, and the DMR is literally easy mode.

Anyway, I got FIFA 13 from my brother so I'll be poopin on my friends for a little while.

CyReN

That isn't why we are mad at all tbh, it's the overall game. To be fair 343 did a pretty decent job screwing over every community besides the "glitching" and "story" community from what I've seen.

Campaign - No Theater/Scoring
Firefight - Spartan Ops, No Scoring, etc
Competitive - No ranks or custom settings
Forge - Downgraded settings
Machinima - Features not working properly
Content - Fileshares broken/Not enabled
Grifball - No playlist
Zombies - Unbalanced
Classic Playlist Players - No playlists
Big Team Battle - No BTB Objective playlist
Halo Stats - Semi fixed

I hope they can fix it, I really do but I'm starting to lose the "halo fan" inside of me, no it isn't getting older.

Halo 4 is the Anne Hathaway of gaming. It started out plucky, quirky, innocent and respectable. It has the potential to evolve into something gorgeous, but if it keeps going for flashy theatrics and showing all the wrong spots it won't get anywhere. It's when anne hathaway Halo 4 is stripped down to its bare, natural essentials that it's most ideal.

To help further illustrate, it could be argued that Modern Warfare is Sasha Grey and Blops II is Belladonna. Call of Duty is Holly Michaels.

Murder Miners is Jake Bass.

TheOddOne

Halo 4 is the Anne Hathaway of gaming. It started out plucky, quirky, innocent and respectable. It has the potential to evolve into something gorgeous, but if it keeps going for flashy theatrics and showing all the wrong spots it won't get anywhere. It's when anne hathaway Halo 4 is stripped down to its bare, natural essentials that it's most ideal.

To help further illustrate, it could be argued that Modern Warfare is Sasha Grey and Blops II is Belladonna. Call of Duty is Holly Michaels.

Murder Miners is Jake Bass.
tumblr_macx5jrtdv1qdb9h7o2_500_large.gif

Pretty much all of this. I was home for the holidays with my brothers. One of them used to be a hardcore Halo fanboy and he averaged at least 2 hours of gaming per day over the life of Halo 2 and Halo 3 (all on those games). With Halo 4 he plays his roommates copy and didn't even ask for it for Christmas. He's moved on to Call of Duty as, in his words, "COD has always been a random and crazy killing spree - there isn't balance or order and I don't expect it to have that. Halo was always about balance, order, and true competitive games. With Halo 4 that's no longer around so I would rather just play COD."
Ouch, but this brutally tells the truth of H4's MP.
Reach has worse MP but given at least Arena Maps and Classic settings. Why 4 doesn't have these and Fans are to either protest to play MP or choose to "Adapt", questions my trust with 343's management in turning away from what made Halo great and balanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom