• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

FyreWulff

Wait wtf, I haven't been following the thread enough.. since when is there a scarab in Halo 4?

There's a bunch of leftover assets from Reach. Because they built it off the Reach version of the engine.

That looks like the distant Scarab model used in Pillar of Autumn for the faraway fake-battles. They actually did not re-implement Scarab AI when they rebuilt the engine, all the Scarabs in Reach are just manually animated. And going by usual dev time budgeting, I don't think they'd go through the trouble of re-implementing Scarab AI and NOT use it in the campaign..

Moa

There's a bunch of leftover assets from Reach. Because they built it off the Reach version of the engine.

That looks like the distant Scarab model used in Pillar of Autumn for the faraway fake-battles. They actually did not re-implement Scarab AI when they rebuilt the engine, all the Scarabs in Reach are just manually animated.

FyreWulff, just the man.

What's with the floating rock on Relay in the sky?
It is on the retail version as well.

FyreWulff

FyreWulff, just the man.

What's with the floating rock on Relay in the sky?
It is on the retail version as well.

I didn't notice it until about the fourth time I forged on that map.

As far as I can tell, it's sole purpose is to cast a shadow on the strut-wall opposite the sun on the map.

Havok

I don't think there is any chance of that happening regardless of what you name it. It's going to be a niche playlist, Infinity list will always have 50 times the population, so you might as well name it what it should be named.

Also, I've yet to see a good name suggestion in this thread.
It'll be niche to a degree no matter what, but you have a much higher chance of making a dent and at least getting people to try it if you don't immediately alienate a big portion of your audience with the name. Community Forge Test admittedly has novelty going for it, but it took a chunk out of Infinity (Challenge) Slayer on the day it went up, a list that is on a serious decline and is in a position now to have players stolen from it. You might not get a huge number of casual players to stick with it, but I think fewer of them will write it off as soon as they see the name instead of at least trying it.

I like Team Skirmish myself.

CyReN

It'll be niche to a degree no matter what, but you have a much higher chance of making a dent and at least getting people to try it if you don't immediately alienate a big portion of your audience with the name. Community Forge Test admittedly has novelty going for it, but it took a chunk out of Infinity (Challenge) Slayer on the day it went up, a list that is on a serious decline and is in a position now to have players stolen from it. You might not get players to stick with it, but I think fewer of them will write it off immediately instead of at least trying it.

I like Team Skirmish myself.

If someone has that mentality and goes into the playlist and doesn't do well or like it they won't comeback regardless, at best it will give it a small boost in it's first few days. With 343 reaching out to the competitive communities and players like they are now they might as well go with something like Team Classic or Hardcore.

It was originally intended for the chief to actually pull out the captains skull [in CE], and they even modeled his skull in great detail (for the time). For various reasons they decided not to use the skull in the cut scene, instead opting to use it as the Oddball for multiplayer. So when you play oddball, you are really playing with the captains skull.

I didn't know this, that's awesome.

If someone has that mentality and goes into the playlist and doesn't do well or like it they won't comeback regardless, at best it will give it a small boost in it's first few days. With 343 reaching out to the competitive communities and players like they are now they might as well go with something like Team Classic or Hardcore.

Yeah agreed with Cyren here. They are doing this playlist for their dedicated long term hardcore fans. It will not be a popular list no matter what you name it.

Covenant Megazords?
2-panel-gasp-l.png

IHaveIce

Banned
I don't think there is any chance of that happening regardless of what you name it. It's going to be a niche playlist, Infinity list will always have 50 times the population, so you might as well name it what it should be named.

Also, I've yet to see a good name suggestion in this thread.

"Team Dongblaining"

"Good Halo"

GrizzNKev

Banned
I'm hoping it will eventually diverge into two playlists called Team Slayer and Team Objective, becoming the standard for multiplayer through the rest of the game's lifespan.

heckfu

Banned
I'm hoping it will eventually diverge into two playlists called Team Slayer and Team Objective.

We can't have that many playlists. As much as I would be up for that the population is already struggling as it is and with what Yuhas aptly called a 'niche playlist', splitting that up would surely fail.

A scarab fight on Harvester would be a brilliant way to illustrate the difference in sizes and just how damn big a Harvester would be if it was a mobile platform. I like to think it's bootleg tech made by the Forerunners in a skunkworks attempt to use Precursor technology, now used even more inefficiently by the Covenant Remnant. It'd be pretty baller to see a Precursor or Forerunner use it and actually make it start walking around like a spider and actively composing shit/firing death rays and stuff.

B.net's forums are harder to read. It's almost like the old Waypoint. Everything's spaced out which makes for so much scrolling. The hashtag system is nice, just not the layout.

After reviewing SpOps Episode 7 preview I'm assuming Infinity A.I. Roland isn't showing signs of Rampancy, but what appears to be him being Immobilized from doing anything. My guess is either Jul or Halsey had done so to prevent Roland from interfering their little "Negotiations" about The Librarian.

Getting a 1000 killstreak should let you teleport to the Control Room and activate the Halo Array.

I wonder if there's some way you could effectively give people a "Gravity Gauntlet" as a Promethean personal ordnance weapon that could let you draw in weapons and stun people as long as it operated on a really limited battery. Stunning someone midair would initiate a Didact-style Force Choke, of course.

Nowise10

Still think there should be an objective mode that ends in a Cruiser slipspacing in above the map and glassing everyone if a team wins.

The Reach beta had shades of this where the Elites got killed by an airstrike when the Spartans won.

And then you saw it was actually just fusion coils killing the elites.

Died on a perfection (was 16 and 0) by a Rocket Launcher. Ordered from an Ordnance. I hate this game.

It makes me sad just thinking about how this game plays. :/ It doesn't matter how good I am, or how I out-play and out-skill another player. He'll eventually get a free power weapon, and use it to out-play my DMR. -sigh-

That looks like the distant Scarab model used in Pillar of Autumn for the faraway fake-battles. They actually did not re-implement Scarab AI when they rebuilt the engine, all the Scarabs in Reach are just manually animated. And going by usual dev time budgeting, I don't think they'd go through the trouble of re-implementing Scarab AI and NOT use it in the campaign..

Damn, I was kinda hoping it wasn't a Reach leftover.

Speaking of not making things only for Sp Ops, is the general consensus that the Harvester is cut content from SP?

To add on to what FyreWullf said: I doubt there will be an actual scarab battle. My guess is at the end of the mission you see a scarab approach in the distance and get airlifted out at the last second while Palmer screams something to the effect of, "CRIMSON would have totally kicked scarab butt if the stupid eggheads had not sent the pilots down."

Invasion 2.0
Make it Spartan vs Spartan, with "Team Spartan" and "Team Storm." Team Spartan actually gets their own personal armor and colors, but may have some physical indicator beyond the HUD to show they're UNSC. Team Storm, by contrast, is covered in contraband Covenant gear, purple war paint, etc. and have gametype-exclusive armor skins/textures.

For extra shits and giggles they could add in an optional third faction of "Team Mantle" that would use Promethean gear, potentially replacing either Spartan or Storm. It would only be in Custom Games though.

Loadouts are more competitively-oriented rather than Shotgun/Armor Lock starts.
No power weapons or vehicles spawn on the map; instead, it uses the Invasion Slayer system. Weapons and vehicles have 5, 10, and 15-second capture periods depending on their type. A feature of Personal Ordnance is included where the team that successfully captures a zone can instantly equip Ordnance, but the enemy team has to "unlock" it.
Dynamic objectives return, but the traditional order is Territories - Territories - Capture The Core.
Dominion's Last Stand properties could also be active in some way. For example, you can still Skunk a team in the first round. However, if a Spartan is still in a Storm-controlled hill/territory when the round one clock runs out, it activates a two-minute Sudden Death period where Spartans all have one life and overshields. However, if Team Spartan survives sudden death, they get a "Skunkworks" bonus that gives them mid-tier ordnance drops near each respective player, such as SAWs.
If you do successfully Skunk a team:
-Team Spartan sends in orbital MAC rounds, obliterating any alive Storm troopers.
-Team Storm glasses the area.

Everything else would be relatively unchanged.

Damn, I was kinda hoping it wasn't a Reach leftover.

Speaking of not making things only for Sp Ops, is the general consensus that the Harvester is cut content from SP?

I wanna see that Harvester get up and start moving around. That thing is so freaking huge! Not to mention, it is extremely odd. It looks organic, other than the floors and control panels, it has a giant spine, and there are orange hunter worms going through pipes on the inside. I really want to know what it is. 343 needs to stop assuming we know stuff. I am not saying tell us everything, but if Palmer talks and acts like she knows what something is, we probably should be informed as well.

Duji

How would this work? Are you supposed to go in with a team of 4?

Yes. It only works when teams of 4 get matched up with teams of 4.

First let's learn how people manipulate TrueSkill.

TrueSkill assigns an individual rank to a player in a playlist based on the player's game history in the playlist. When that player join 3 others, the team is given a rating, which is more or less an average of all of the players' game histories. Before a match begins, TrueSkill predicts a winning team based on which team has the higher average rating (this is NOT their visible TrueSkill ranks averaged out). The predicted loser goes up a lot in TrueSkill if they end up winning, and don't go down much for losing. The reverse is also true: the predicted winner doesn't go up a lot for winning, but goes down a lot for losing. Derankers/boosters lose games on purpose by themselves and rejoin their team so it brings down their rating a ton. This helps ensure that they become the predicted loser every game. They consequently maximize all of their wins and minimize all of their losses. Boosting.

What does LoL do? When it comes to playing a full party, they simply don't average out the players' individual ranks. They go in fresh.

Imagine this team of 4: Bob, Fred, John, and Tim. Tim leaves to lose a bunch of games on his own and then rejoins his teammates. Let's see what would happen with the different ranking systems.

TrueSkill: The average rating of the team goes down a ton. They now have a very high chance of being the predicted losing team. Tim is their booster account.
LoL: Tim's individual rank isn't factored into the team's net rating. His deranking was a complete waste of time. The rating of Bob, Fred, John, and Tim are dependent solely on the games that they all play together. Yes, that means if any one of them is replaced with another player, they will receive an entirely new rank.

In LoL, a 5v5 game, they have two ranked playlists: A 5v5 playlist called Ranked Teams where you have to go in as a team of 5 and every party you go in with has their own rank, and then there is Ranked Solo/Duo. In Ranked Solo/Duo, you can either go in with a partner or by yourself. However, the ranks will be separate. Just say Tim chooses a partner from his team whenever he feels like playing this. This means that [Tim, Bob], [Tim, Fred], and [Tim, John] all receive separate ranks. Oh, and of course [Tim] by himself receives a separate rank as well.

FAQ:
I have a ton of friends. Does this means that I get a new rank for every single party combination that I make? That's freaking lame.
Yes. It's not as bad as it seems. If anything, it promotes the idea of forming a solid team and constantly playing with each other to get better. Also, this is the sacrifice of having a working ranking system.

So I'll have to work my ass off every time I make a new party combination to reach a high rank?
Well, LoL doesn't start you off at level 1 like Halo 3's TrueSkill does. Assuming everyone is level 1 when they first enter a playlist is a completely stupid idea in the first place and I'm surprised I've seen very few people ever question it. LoL has placement matches so that you may skip a bunch of ranks. You will only have to work your ass off if the system doesn't have placement matches.

Wouldn't this segment the population by having separate playlists just to play ranked 4v4?
Actually, when you think about it, the Halo 3 Team Slayer playlist was actually two different playlists due to party restrictions. When has anyone ever gone in by themselves and played against a team of 4? Halo 3 Team Doubles was also two different playlists: a solo doubles playlist and a duo playlist. So this isn't an issue at all, really.

This sounds all great in theory, does it actually work?
In short, yes. Ask anyone who's played the game or simply play the game yourself. Really, the only way to cheat is to have two teams go on Skype and tell each other when they match up so that they can match up with each other. But come on, is there a way to prevent this in any game? Also it's not that effective since LoL has a ginormous population.

tldr: Individual rankings being factored into team rankings is a flawed system that breeds boosting. It needs to be canned.

I wanna see that Harvester get up and start moving around. That thing is so freaking huge! Not to mention, it is extremely odd. It looks organic, other than the floors and control panels, it has a giant spine, and there are orange hunter worms going through pipes on the inside. I really want to know what it is. 343 needs to stop assuming we know stuff. I am not saying tell us everything, but if Palmer talks and acts like she knows what something is, we probably should be informed as well.

Oh, there are hunter worms? I looked for em but didn't see any.

I really wonder if 343 had originally intended to bring a new type of 'super scarab' into SP and this was what they had designed.. It just looks a ton like a beefed up, angry scarab, and seems weird that they made this thing only for Spartan Ops.

Top Bottom