• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Whatever map is being played right now has the flow of Rat Race <3

I love the different AA's in the Personal Ordnance Drops. That's how AA's should've been with Infinity gametypes or at least left on the D-Pad with "nonpower" weapons as down.

Is there any chance we can get a Metroid-styled overview of our Spartan's armor in menus next game? Whether it's for armor customization, loadout modification, etc. I'd love getting to activate/deactivate lists like that.

Holy hell Metroid for Wii U would be insane with a screen like that.

ElRenoRaven

Is there any chance we can get a Metroid-styled overview of our Spartan's armor in menus next game? Whether it's for armor customization, loadout modification, etc. I'd love getting to activate/deactivate lists like that.

I really hope to hell Retro is working on that. They've been so quiet for so long on the Metroid front.

Metroid Prime Hunters could've evolved into the Halo for Nintendo, no pun intended lol

Yes. It only works when teams of 4 get matched up with teams of 4.

First let's learn how people manipulate TrueSkill.

TrueSkill assigns an individual rank to a player in a playlist based on the player's game history in the playlist. When that player join 3 others, the team is given a rating, which is more or less an average of all of the players' game histories. Before a match begins, TrueSkill predicts a winning team based on which team has the higher average rating (this is NOT their visible TrueSkill ranks averaged out). The predicted loser goes up a lot in TrueSkill if they end up winning, and don't go down much for losing. The reverse is also true: the predicted winner doesn't go up a lot for winning, but goes down a lot for losing. Derankers/boosters lose games on purpose by themselves and rejoin their team so it brings down their rating a ton. This helps ensure that they become the predicted loser every game. They consequently maximize all of their wins and minimize all of their losses. Boosting.

What does LoL do? When it comes to playing a full party, they simply don't average out the players' individual ranks. They go in fresh.

Imagine this team of 4: Bob, Fred, John, and Tim. Tim leaves to lose a bunch of games on his own and then rejoins his teammates. Let's see what would happen with the different ranking systems.

TrueSkill: The average rating of the team goes down a ton. They now have a very high chance of being the predicted losing team. Tim is their booster account.
LoL: Tim's individual rank isn't factored into the team's net rating. His deranking was a complete waste of time. The rating of Bob, Fred, John, and Tim are dependent solely on the games that they all play together. Yes, that means if any one of them is replaced with another player, they will receive an entirely new rank.

In LoL, a 5v5 game, they have two ranked playlists: A 5v5 playlist called Ranked Teams where you have to go in as a team of 5 and every party you go in with has their own rank, and then there is Ranked Solo/Duo. In Ranked Solo/Duo, you can either go in with a partner or by yourself. However, the ranks will be separate. Just say Tim chooses a partner from his team whenever he feels like playing this. This means that [Tim, Bob], [Tim, Fred], and [Tim, John] all receive separate ranks. Oh, and of course [Tim] by himself receives a separate rank as well.

FAQ:
I have a ton of friends. Does this means that I get a new rank for every single party combination that I make? That's freaking lame.
Yes. It's not as bad as it seems. If anything, it promotes the idea of forming a solid team and constantly playing with each other to get better. Also, this is the sacrifice of having a working ranking system.

So I'll have to work my ass off every time I make a new party combination to reach a high rank?
Well, LoL doesn't start you off at level 1 like Halo 3's TrueSkill does. Assuming everyone is level 1 when they first enter a playlist is a completely stupid idea in the first place and I'm surprised I've seen very few people ever question it. LoL has placement matches so that you may skip a bunch of ranks. You will only have to work your ass off if the system doesn't have placement matches.

Wouldn't this segment the population by having separate playlists just to play ranked 4v4?
Actually, when you think about it, the Halo 3 Team Slayer playlist was actually two different playlists due to party restrictions. When has anyone ever gone in by themselves and played against a team of 4? Halo 3 Team Doubles was also two different playlists: a solo doubles playlist and a duo playlist. So this isn't an issue at all, really.

This sounds all great in theory, does it actually work?
In short, yes. Ask anyone who's played the game or simply play the game yourself. Really, the only way to cheat is to have two teams go on Skype and tell each other when they match up so that they can match up with each other. But come on, is there a way to prevent this in any game? Also it's not that effective since LoL has a ginormous population.

tldr: Individual rankings being factored into team rankings is a flawed system that breeds boosting. It needs to be canned.

Now that I think about it, Halo Wars had a similar system I think... Separate ranks individually or as a team.

Damn that was one underrated game.

Metroid Prime Hunters could've evolved into the Halo for Nintendo, no pun intended lol

Halo 4 is Metroid Prime Hunters 2.

Binary Rifle:
An instakill sniper with a bassy scope-in noise with a red beam that vaporizes targets on successful hits.

Imperialist:
Imperialist_Zooming.png

A common motif in 117's percussion.

The exact same percussion used in Metroid Prime Hunters' intro/credits which showed up way earlier.

This goes full circle because Weavel's ship "boosts" using the exact same sound as Halo 2 grav lifts. :lol

Weavel, of Metroid Prime Hunters, uses an energy blade...

That looks pretty similar to Promethean hardlight scythes, no?

There's a bunch more but this was all I could think of off the top of my head.

willow ve

This AGL stream on Twitch >3,500 viewers

Current Playlist Populations
Dominion 3,556
Regicide 2,624
Team Reg 1,807
Crimson DLC 590

I think it's safe to say people want a competitive Halo

Also - over 40+ teams. All we need is 60 more to warrant special pre-launch attention to our own playlist!

Nowise10

KhMxIsJ.jpg

So did she confirm of an ingame reporting tool or am I being bad? or is this old?

EDIT* Ah she replied back, she meant the Xbox LIVE one (File complaint)

"We don't want to add CSR in-game because modding/cheating jerks will be able to go around undetected for significant periods of time and ultimately ruin the atmosphere."

"We are adding an in-game report feature though. Does that mean it won't do anything? Does it mean CSR is going to be added in-game and we're just waiting to surprise you guys? Who knows! News at NEVER"

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
KhMxIsJ.jpg

So did she confirm of an ingame reporting tool or am I being bad? or is this old?

EDIT* Ah she replied back, she meant the Xbox LIVE one (File complaint)

Can't wait to directly report all of the cheaters I see. Gonna be glorious.

Just lost a Big Team match on Ragnarok.

We lost 10,000 to 8800. One guy on our team went 1 kill and 25 deaths. -24. Another guy on the team went 4 kills and 27 deaths. That's -23.

HOW DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN? Dude how can people be this bad?

Guys, 343 Industries should just release Halo 2 HD, runs at 60 frames per second, free to play. It would be so popular and would never get shut down.

Guys, 343 Industries should just release Halo 2 HD, runs at 60 frames per second, free to play. It would be so popular and would never get shut down.

Free to play? In game store featuring custom armors, weapon skins, armor skins, hats, and advanced menu options featuring, customizable control schemes, X and Y sensitivity setting, Aim Acceleration Control, Auto Aim Control.
b9b911a2_2005849-fe2dc_ORIG-my_body_is_ready.jpeg

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So there is no reason to keep ranks on waypoint only now.
Without ranks on display:

-Abusers and cheaters anyway
-They'll ban them
-They'll just get a new GT
-Rinse and repeat

With ranks on display:

-Abusers and cheaters anyway
-They'll ban them
-They'll just get a new GT
-Rinse and repeat
Just lost a Big Team match on Ragnarok.

We lost 10,000 to 8800. One guy on our team went 1 kill and 25 deaths. -24. Another guy on the team went 4 kills and 27 deaths. That's -23.

HOW DOES THIS EVEN HAPPEN? Dude how can people be this bad?
Well it's not like they died 800 times brah

GrizzNKev

Banned
Alright so someone recommended that I use the Forerunner font to spell Composer instead of normal text on the wallpaper. Good call. I will probably pump out some alternate wallpapers as the week goes on.

Suggestions?

The Composer

The Earth reminds me of the Marathon logo

Karl2177

Alright so someone recommended that I use the Forerunner font to spell Composer instead of normal text on the wallpaper. Good call. I will probably pump out some alternate wallpapers as the week goes on.

Suggestions?

The Composer

Do you mind linking that? 15MB is a bit much for my phone.

Top Bottom