• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

From Reed regarding my questions about Halsey/Cortana & why Halsey was given the key:

iU5ZdOc9dSoYB.PNG

From Reed regarding my questions about Halsey/Cortana & why Halsey was given the key:

iU5ZdOc9dSoYB.PNG

Interesting. The Librarian is basically the Forerunner version of Halsey anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the result of Librarian's geas imprint.

Really wish there were "outro" cutscenes as well as intro, as of now there just isn't enough info packed in these missions to further the story. This week's episode was better than most, but as of now most of the hype for the "next" episode each week has been from the trailers for that weeks episode.

What key? Is that from Spartan Ops or something?
Yeah. Key of Nebuchadnezzar or some shit.
Interesting. The Librarian is basically the Forerunner version of Halsey anyway. I wouldn't be surprised if she was the result of Librarian's geas imprint.

Really wish there were "outro" cutscenes as well as intro, as of now there just isn't enough info packed in these missions to further the story. This week's episode was better than most, but as of now most of the hype for the "next" episode each week has been from the trailers for that weeks episode.
In my world they're going to leave the Geass stuff to the Forerunner trilogy. It's fine there.
The less predestination the better.

Agreed about the outro cutscenes, it's a really weird tone to end on in some episodes.

blamite

At the very least there should be an epilogue cutscene released the week after episode 10. Ending the season with a dumb in-game thing would just be too anticlimactic.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Edit: It's funny, because in a Bulletin FAQ, someone asked about the replayability of Halo 4's campaign and someone answered something like: "there will be a lot of ways, to replay the campaign"
There are lots of ways, you can replay it on Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary, at a checkpoint, at the halfway point and don't forget the skulls.

At the very least there should be an epilogue cutscene released the week after episode 10. Ending the season with a dumb in-game thing would just be too anticlimactic.

I fully anticipate this. It would be absurd to end the season with a couple of Pelicans flying toward a Jpeg, like every episode has ended before this week's.

There are lots of ways, you can replay it on Easy, Normal, Heroic, Legendary, at a checkpoint, at the halfway point and don't forget the skulls.

Halo 4 skulls suck. CE: A had the right idea, I just don't understand why they would return to the shit that was Halo 2 skulls, again. Malfunction > Blind.

Fuchsdh

I concur.

mrburnsexcellent.jpg

I'm really hoping there's not a huge cliffhanger at the end of this, because we have no idea if we're getting a Season 2 and if a season 2 would actually pick up after this one.

(I do appreciate that 343i has delivered on their promise of making Ops actually matter storywise, although I wish some of that was better integrated in the gameplay.)

Fuchsdh

Why she waited to give the key to the defenceless scientist who had a Covie guest waiting outside the stall instead of the AI or Super Soldier who could have likely got the key out in much safer fashion.

I think part of it is that the Librarian is reacting to the fallout from the Didact's awakening and failed attack on Earth. She was setting Chief off to stop her husband; at the time I think that was the most critical issue. I wouldn't worry about giving humanity a map to the shop until you were sure humanity was going to be around to use the map first.

blamite

davidellisspops_zpsd4486fee.png

So does he mean
the other ''thing helping the scientists and activating the turrets? Becasue I thought that obviously was the Librarian's work,

Probably the part
at the end with the laser? I think Miller says "I wonder where it's pointing" or something, then you hear the Librarian say "The Absolute Record", then Miller says something about a transmission that couldn't be picked up or something? Maybe it was supposed to be the Librarian speaking directly to Crimson? That part went by pretty fast though so I may have missed it.

One thing that confused me, at the end of chapter 2,
You're told that the signal is pointing to Lockup, but the next mission is at Apex, and you get pointed to Lockup from there? Am I mishearing things like crazy today or was the line on chapter 2 supposed to say Apex?

TheOddOne

I'm all for evolving the mode into something with more of an arcadey feel, with credits and scores and such. It still blows my mind that the mode shipped without all that.

I think a Spartan Ops with a hubworld similar to ODST would be great. Each week, a new section of the hubworld is unlocked, where new elements and areas can be explored. Some missions will have you going into the depths of the city, some will have you extracting data from a Forerunner excavation site, and some will have you fighting alongside a starship in a Battlefront 2-style space battle, complete with boarding mechanics and the opportunity to blow up Covenant ships from the inside.

Credits are earned from killing enemies, which can then be spent on improving your SpOps character, as well as improving fortifications of the city, and perhaps of the Infinity. Sounds like an FPSRPG, why the hell not... You can purchase things like score multipliers for Firefight (each location is an area of the city that you can "activate" to begin a few rounds of Firefight, buying extra ammo, lives, upgrades, etc).

The city itself cam be explored, with plenty of easter eggs, and wide open areas for vehicle combat, too. You could have faction-like mechanics, too, where Steitzer or another AI would say something like, "Warning, Gamma sector is under Covenant assault" and have to get your ass over there fast to stop them completely taking over that space. Perhaps this time it's under attack by a Scarab, perhaps next time it's a Liche, or a Harvester, or some dropships. Hell, even that could be reason enough to initiate a Firefight round.

Thinking about it, there wouldn't even really be a point releasing this as a mode for a mainline game. It could be it's own evolving subfranchise that's download-only, constantly evolving and constantly adding content in the Minecraft model, plus DLC, etc.
...yeah
34d.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How does the King bounty work in Team Regicide? I know it goes up as you get kills in FFA Regicide (maxing out at 35) but is it like that in Team Regicide? Or is it just 25 points no matter what?

blamite

How does the King bounty work in Team Regicide? I know it goes up as you get kills in FFA Regicide (maxing out at 35) but is it like that in Team Regicide? Or is it just 25 points no matter what?

Unless it's been changed lately I believe it's always 25.

Fotos

Question? Would anyone would like to see Halo MMO game like 16 vs 16.

I believe Bungie had some kinda idea like this or something in mind when they where making Halo (2/3 I can't remember). They had a massive map with many players for it.

In a perfect world with no lag..?

I would buy that on the first day man.

Yup, need me some Team Throwdown ASAP.
In 7 days you will have it.

Probably the part
at the end with the laser? I think Miller says "I wonder where it's pointing" or something, then you hear the Librarian say "The Absolute Record", then Miller says something about a transmission that couldn't be picked up or something? Maybe it was supposed to be the Librarian speaking directly to Crimson? That part went by pretty fast though so I may have missed it.

One thing that confused me, at the end of chapter 2,
You're told that the signal is pointing to Lockup, but the next mission is at Apex, and you get pointed to Lockup from there? Am I mishearing things like crazy today or was the line on chapter 2 supposed to say Apex?

I just played the mission and I swear I heard her say, "...to the Absolute Record." almost like she's directing the Sentinels, or perhaps like you said, speaking to Crimson. I wonder what the hell that is. Apparently Jul had made a call to arms in this chapter, too, saying to meet at the "Librarian's Rest", but there's no location data for that. Obviously the power source has some significance, too. As well as Halsey's transmissions being bounced around. I dunno, there's a lot going on in this episode, it's hard to make sense of it all. I have no idea what the Absolute Record is, but it sounds like a ship, or at least, something along the lines of Silent Cartographer. And The Librarian's Rest? Perhaps that's the Covenant's name for the same thing. Or reference to the Librarian not actually being dead. It's been pretty clear so far that the "Librarian" that Chief and Halsey talked to is but a construct and not actually the Librarian. Then again, Chakas/343 GS are on their way to where they believe the Librarian is, at least according to the novels.

Could someone explain what the episode 9 cutscene means?

How I get here, I no good with story

Hasley be communicating with Elites to get to the Librarian. She gets to the Librarian. Librarian gives her map of all the Forerunner technology in the galaxy. Some UNSC chick that's above Lasky wants Hasley dead because she was communicating with the Elites. Lasky is like "No way!" Palmer is like "Already suited up." Lasky orders Majestic to save Hasley. Palmer shoots Hasley's iron shoulder because that same pistol one shoted a Promethean Knight.

To be continued...

Gui_PT

Hasley be communicating with Elites to get to the Librarian. She gets to the Librarian. Librarian gives her map of all the Forerunner technology in the galaxy. Some UNSC chick that's above Lasky wants Hasley dead because she was communicating with the Elites. Lasky is like "No way!" Palmer is like "Already suited up." Lasky orders Majestic to save Hasley. Palmer shoots Hasley's iron shoulder because that same pistol one shoted a Promethean Knight.

To be continued...

No, about David's tweet

Shadders

I wonder what the turnaround time is on this Spartan Ops content, how long of a gap do we think there'll be until Season 2? Maybe re-run the whole of Season 1 for ten weeks and then kick off Season 2?

Defect

In Episode 8 one of the Spartans received a map from Gek's dead body. Will that be important or be in some way related to the Janis Key?

Top Bottom