• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Blueblur1

You don't have to play it to watch the episodes, they're all just there in the menu. You miss out on almost no meaningful story content by skipping the missions.
I've been thinking a lot about that lately. It would probably be pretty watchable in one sitting too. Maybe we'll see a Spartan Ops blu-ray release some day?

She didn't even know, that John was alive. I would say no.
Why didn't she ask? Between Palmer rescuing her and her capture?
Considering the second glance at the datapad she had (where she learned John had been on the Infinity and interacted with the Librarian).
She obviously knows Cortana is well past her life span.

Another thing:
Why didn't the Librarian give the key to John or Cortana? Why not give the key to the Super Soldier instead of the defenceless scientist?

I hope there's a Season 2 for these reasons,

We can't expect 343 to fix the issues we've had with Spartan Ops for the second half of Season 1, which was probably near completion.

The story is solid and the cutscenes are great.

Let 343 go off the lessons from Season 1 and start fresh gameplay wise. If they don't get it right, no Season 3. If they do, yay!

I don't think this has been answered yet. It's mixed voting rounds, not segregated by gametype.

That playlist (along with Flag) are Moron Central today. Guests ruining games left and right. Why aren't they limited to one playlist they can shit up again?

Edit: Aaaand Infinity CTF has ruined the Flag playlist for me, I think. Two of the three slots have been Infinity 90% of the time I search, leaving one slot open that is filled with Abandon or Complex half the time. That was the playlist that was closest to something I could call home in Halo 4, but I think I'm done with it.
Well, shit. :-/

Akai__

Considering the second glance at the datapad she had (where she learned John had been on the Infinity and interacted with the Librarian).

Another thing:
Why didn't the Librarian give the key to John or Cortana? Why not give the key to the Super Soldier instead of the defenceless scientist?

Maybe she asked, but ONI told everyone to keep this secret. Maybe that's why she slapped Lasky, too, don't know.

As for the other thing, I already asked myself this, too.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Still need to watch FUD. Is it actually worth the time? Will it change my perception of Lasky and Del Rio? At the moment, I see them as just one dimensional foils.

IHaveIce

Banned

Another thing:

Maybe she knew, he is a soldier through and through, he would obey most orders and would deliver the Key to people who aren't intended to use it.

While the Librarian knows that Halsey is some kind of renegade scientist who is just curious and wouldn't want to do asshe is ordered to?

I dont know :/

Havok

I've been thinking a lot about that lately. It would probably be pretty watchable in one sitting too. Maybe we'll see a Spartan Ops blu-ray release some day?
Maybe, though it might be tough to price out about an hour of content for a physical release. Those episodes are absolutely worth watching, though.
Yeah, that's mostly true. A few Episodes pick up almost exactly where the previous left off. Since E7 I've been much more interested in the show than the game. So much so that I'll likely purchase a second season just for that content, and the hope that the exploration aspect is added in the future outside of time and budget constraints.
I'd really like them to go back to the original concept for Spartan Ops, frankly. It sounded way more fun, especially on replay.
As we all know, things tend to change over the course of development. What was the original concept for Spartan Ops?

Greg: It originally was a Firefight-type mode, where it wasn’t always about killing all the enemies. Some missions would be get an item (like a bomb) to the bomb spot, kill the leader, capture the item, etc. But it was more arcadey and meant to be replayable. Each map would have the same four or five types of missions. When you played them, it would randomly pick four missions on four different maps, and your party would play through them. We got back to this concept, then onto just concentrating on the five missions a week, then making the missions story driven.

How did that original concept change over development?

Chris: Fairly dramatically, I would say. One of the main changes or evolutions with Spartan Ops was the importance of narrative and tying all of Halo’s Multiplayer together with a story that matters. Narrative is an integral part of Spartan Ops, and this truly began to come together at a critical point in production when all the pieces began to fall into place. Working so closely with our narrative team has been an incredible experience, as we all get to feed into the ideas and storylines that ultimately shape Spartan Ops.

Greg: The best way that it changed was going from more arcade-like “random” missions where you would accomplish the same goals, just on different maps in a very generic way, to something story-based, with each mission featuring a unique story, VO, goals, etc.
All that narrative is currently doing is holding them back, as far as the missions go. They can't have things change drastically on subsequent playthroughs for the purpose of replayability, plus they need specific scripted events to drive what little narrative those missions have forward, so we end up getting a bunch of static missions instead of this neat relatively unscripted combat sandbox where Halo excels. I just don't think that having some talking heads in the corner of the screen speaking loosely about events tangential to the overall Spartan Ops narrative is a good tradeoff for what could have been. Segregate the CG story from the content of the actual missions and I think I would probably enjoy it a lot more, unless they're willing to go all the way with it and lean way more heavily into that narrative and actually make it meaningful in the same way that campaign content is.
Still need to watch FUD. Is it actually worth the time? Will it change my perception of Lasky and Del Rio? At the moment, I see them as just one dimensional foils.
It's pretty neat for what it is. I don't think it really gives any more weight to Lasky, given how they glossed over the character backgrounds so quickly in-game, and it does nothing for Del Rio, who will always be one-dimensional because he's just a comparison point to make Lasky relatable. Still, it's worth the time, I think.

[/B]
Maybe she knew, he is a soldier through and through, he would obey most orders and would deliver the Key to people who aren't intended to use it.

While the Librarian knows that Halsey is some kind of renegade scientist who is just curious and wouldn't want to do asshe is ordered to?

I dont know :/
1) Moments later he flat out refused to hand over Cortana, at the risk of being court martial'd.
2) She immediately throws the key to Thorne, much more of a dependably Boy Scout than the Chief is I'd argue.

gAg CruSh3r

Question? Would anyone would like to see Halo MMO game like 16 vs 16.

I believe Bungie had some kinda idea like this or something in mind when they where making Halo (2/3 I can't remember). They had a massive map with many players for it.

In a perfect world with no lag..?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
5 second respawn is really nice in all of Team Doubles now. Just played against a few guys alone (my teammate quit) and I was out BRing them against their DMRs. So satisfying. And I can actually teabag now and have them see it!

Maybe, though it might be tough to price out about an hour of content for a physical release. Those episodes are absolutely worth watching, though.
I'd really like them to go back to the original concept for Spartan Ops, frankly. It sounded way more fun, especially on replay.
All that narrative is currently doing is holding them back, as far as missions go. They can't have things change drastically on subsequent playthroughs, plus they need specific events to drive what little narrative those missions have forward, so we end up getting a bunch of static missions instead of this neat relatively unscripted combat sandbox where Halo excels. I just don't think that having some talking heads in the corner of the screen speaking loosely about events tangential to the overall Spartan Ops narrative is a good tradeoff for what could have been. Segregate the CG story from the content of the actual missions and I think I would probably enjoy it a lot more, unless they're willing to go all the way with it and lean way more heavily into that narrative and actually make it meaningful in the same way that campaign content is.
It's pretty neat for what it is. I don't think it really gives any more weight to Lasky, given how they glossed over the character backgrounds so quickly in-game, and it does nothing for Del Rio, who will always be one-dimensional because he's just a comparison point to make Lasky relatable. Still, it's worth the time, I think.

Agree. It's when it's either or, its not both. That's why I'd like to see Firefight return, for that crazy arcadey style Halo sandbox content, evolved to support different gametypes (gen defense, assault, stuff like that). Then, SpOps is just expanded universe stuff, with narrative focus on missions. PVE DLC. You can reuse so many SpOps spaces for Firefight, it becomes a matter of making the gametypes and mode work.

Either way, I'd love to see the PVE elements of Halo get a complete revamp - it's part of why I'm so excited for Destiny. If done right, the co-op stuff can be just as compelling as the competitive stuff, and they don't have to be mutually exclusive, like PVE vs PVP.

IHaveIce

Banned
1) Moments later he flat out refused to hand over Cortana, at the risk of court martialing
2) She immediately throws the key to Thorne, much more of a dependably Boy Scout than the Chief is I'd argue.

Yep, that's why I said most, I think Chief handles Cortana different than other stuff.

She throws a part of the key to Thorne and the other she kept by herself, didn't she? So that nobody could use it fully without her?

Akai__

Yep, that's why I said most, I think Chief handles Cortana different than other stuff.

She throws a part of the key to Thorne and the other she kept by herself, didn't she? So that nobody could use it fully without her?

The other part is in the hands of Jul Mdama.

Edit:
"Let's create a mode that isn't replayable" - 343 Industries

It's funny, because in a Bulletin FAQ, someone asked about the replayability of Halo 4's campaign and someone answered something like: "there will be a lot of ways, to replay the campaign"

Perhaps, but Jul took the red half of the Janus Key from her, she threw the blue half to Thorne.

Someone should figure out how many credits you could theoretically get by maxing out the score count for ALL of Spartan Ops Season 1 in Legendary Matchmaking when it's all out.

5 second respawn is really nice in all of Team Doubles now. Just played against a few guys alone (my teammate quit) and I was out BRing them against their DMRs. So satisfying. And I can actually teabag now and have them see it!

"It feels like Halo"™

(Actually excited to go play some Team Doubles)

Buntabox

All that narrative is currently doing is holding them back, as far as the missions go. They can't have things change drastically on subsequent playthroughs for the purpose of replayability, plus they need specific scripted events to drive what little narrative those missions have forward, so we end up getting a bunch of static missions instead of this neat relatively unscripted combat sandbox where Halo excels. I just don't think that having some talking heads in the corner of the screen speaking loosely about events tangential to the overall Spartan Ops narrative is a good tradeoff for what could have been. Segregate the CG story from the content of the actual missions and I think I would probably enjoy it a lot more, unless they're willing to go all the way with it and lean way more heavily into that narrative and actually make it meaningful in the same way that campaign content is.

I've felt they should have just made the missions about Majestic and you are a member of majestic (ala Reach). This would require them using in-engine cinematics instead of the CGI though. The CG looks good, but the disconnect is pretty meh. I really enjoyed the recent CG, but have no desire to play the missions. Knowing that the missions are leading toward what will happen in the next cinematic would be more fulfilling.

Someone should figure out how many credits you could theoretically get by maxing out the score count for ALL of Spartan Ops Season 1 in Legendary Matchmaking when it's all out.

Hard to do because 343 has changed the cap multiple times. It used to be around 6k, not it's 9,188 (something like that).

Palmer is the next Jillian Michaels

Or the Next Maiev Shadowsong.

Woah, I just remembered, did they ever bring up Laskey and the Chief's relationship at all during the game?

Yes, he defending him several times against del Rio and in the Ending he got a complete cutscene with him.

It is, but they dont meet each other since FUD's Events so yeah its quite disappointing.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Going from the ending of Halo 4, I wonder if we will see Palmer as the main (or at least a major, playable character) in Halo 5. Or maybe a spinoff.

I think the fact that SpOps is caught somewhere in the middle is the issue. It should be a full on second campaign, or a coop mode with no narrative connection.
YOU ARE

you know what, starting a new trend around here. hire heckfu. it even has alliteration!

Not qualified. HaloGAF does not support Hire Heckfu.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I would love a Palmer spin-off, but man, they REALLY need to rethink how they write her.

Top Bottom