• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Talents

Banned
l7aYI.png

What a surprise... Can't really blame them though. They would of lost loads of money.

Kuroyume

Banned
I agree that the level of discussion on GAF is more or less the same as it was years ago. The difference is that more people are unhappy with Halo compared to 3 years ago when myself and a handful of people were regularly trashing H3. Back then the posts were generally positive if they didn't involve Shiska/Forge/map exclusivity. Still a lot of bitching back then but there was planty of positive stuff from the masochistic crowd. Anyway, people are unhappy with Halo 4 and after a stinker game like Reach you're going to get this reaction... And you're going to continue to get it because those fans miss the good old days (pre armor abilities). I like Wu but people are allowed to express themselves on here and that's what people are doing... They way they've always done it on HaloGAF with sarcasm, acrimony, and cynicism.

DeadNames

Banned
Let us never forget those who journeyed into the howling dark...

RIP.

Also I hope 343 knows they absolutely nailed the core mechanics of a Halo game. If they just remove AAs, perks, and ordnance Halo 4 would be beastly. I personally don't mind loadouts.

Enfinit

But at some point it passes from constructive criticisms to repeating the same things as nauseum. That's not all HaloGAFs fault, every forum has "cycles" as it were but even if you've been that invested... at some point it's a waste.

I doubt Halo 4 is going to turn into the second coming of Halo 4, so if you really can't stand it why are you still in the thread? At some point it's a waste of everyone's time.

The only thing that slightly annoys me is when people complain about the same known problems in the same single-sentence-fragment negative manner. However, despite it being annoying to read on the surface, the reason we see the same bitching is because they're usually referring to a problem that still has yet to be fixed.

For example, daily we see someone post about JiP, and how it completely shafted them in a game. I did it two days ago. We all know JiP isn't great, and we all know the problems with it have yet been corrected (nor have we really seen any acknowledgment or discussion from 343i about the subject). With this in mind, I'll post a negative comment about JiP because I'm annoyed that this is still problem,and I\ll post negatively simply because of the fact that it's ridiculous that this kind of problem is still happening months after launch.

Granted, I should post more constructively, however this become really salty when you add frustration to the mix. However, my frustration is out of general care. I want this game to be successful. I want it to be the best it can be. As doeseveryone in this thread. That's why it becomes so hostile and salty because people want this so bad, and see virtually nothing is being done in the time frame they expect it. That's my opinions anyways.

TheOddOne

Yeah I seriously doubt that figure is anything close to real. Halo 4 sold 3.8 in its first month correct? Does anyone really think it's possible that it sold the same amount (or anywhere close) in its second month? That's not a dig at the game, that's just not possible, games don't sell like that.
Maybe they are worldwide numbers? We never got those.

I think the level of discussion is equivalent to the perceived quality of the current Halo game, so of course things are going to be like this now. Either that, or the place would be as dead as the Halo 4 OT.

Kuroyume

Banned
I doubt it did. It couldn't have sold THAT well in America to support those numbers let alone outside America. You have it competing with Blops 2 shortly after it and and a bunch of other stuff. Also, a hurricane hit the North East, etc.

Let us never forget those who journeyed into the howling dark...

RIP.

Also I hope 343 knows they absolutely nailed the core mechanics of a Halo game. If they just remove AAs, perks, and ordnance Halo 4 would be beastly. I personally don't mind loadouts.

Yeah, I'd love for some clarification/elaboration on that whole Classic playlists deal. It would be nice to see that in the near future.

Next week's update concerning 343's adjusted matchmaking philosophy will hopefully be interesting, and I'll see that bingo card filled ;P

As OddOne mentioned they are worldwied figures. Yeah, they could be off though. Sold 3.8 mil in the first week though, not month. So add Nov, Dec, XMas, Jan in there and you could hit 7.5 worldwide.

Regardless of the actual numbers, Frankie did say that it's the best and fastest-selling Halo game ever, so that's gotta count for something.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
lol easy Junior bait.

Yeah I seriously doubt that figure is anything close to real. Halo 4 sold 3.8 in its first month correct? Does anyone really think it's possible that it sold the same amount (or anywhere close) in its second month? That's not a dig at the game, that's just not possible, games don't sell like that.

As OddOne mentioned they are worldwied figures. Yeah, they could be off though. Sold 3.8 mil in the first week though, not month. So add Nov, Dec, XMas, Jan in there and you could hit 7.5 worldwide.

FyreWulff

lol easy Junior bait.

Yeah, I find that hard to believe. All videogames are massively frontloaded on sales.

FyreWulff

Kind of. I think 343 wanted to partner with MLG but Microsoft wanted them to partner with Virgin, so they had no choice but to.

Obligatory 343 is Microsoft reply. 343 kind of dashed any idea that they had any sway as a MS group when they parroted the 14 Day Buy and Play right in a bulletin.

Anyone feel like Complex was designed mainly for Flood?

Don't think so. It actually looks like it'd make a fun Dominion map, but you can't forge Dominion support onto it :(

willow ve

Anyone feel like Complex was designed mainly for Flood?

I feel like Complex was designed by a Mass Effect lead.

I like it for a lot of game types, but yeah Flood seems to be a particular choice given the super thruster spaces.

I have a feeling it was, I just don't see how that can play well with anything team based other than Big Team Battle.

Wasn't Complex the first map they showed Flood off with?

It worked great in Spartan Ops. That one week it showed up.

Seems to work best in Spartan Ops.

I'm too slow.

Ignore that nonsense if it bothers you. If you see a surprising lack of "high level" then there's always the option of creating your own.
Ding ding ding ding ding ding!

We have a winner.

There are posts and posters who are shit and contribute nothing. There are those who are genuinely angry, to the point that they are annoying, but there are also those people who constantly go out of their way to write well-thought responses, original ideas, suggestions, spark debate, provide insights, make content, arrange parties, stream the game(s), or even sing to high heavens their undying love for Halo 4.

As said before, this is a community, and communities exist in a state of flux and never represent any one opinion or dynamic. I, personally, disagree with a lot of things about Halo 4, but at the same time, I had issues with every Halo to some extent or another. But I play the shit out of every Halo game and for the most part enjoy myself. Just last night, Wu and myself had a fairly civil exchange about certain starting spawns and map design. Did I disagree with him? Yes. Did I think either side was vitriolic or contemptable? No. It was a conversation and they happen all the time here.

To dismiss the deluge of legitimate concerns, praise, debates, and general conversation here because of those who truly irritate you is disingenuous at best. Perhaps going the extra mile to make the change that you desire is worth it. Bring back the glory days that you touched upon. Judging by the responses, there are plenty of people that felt the same or that you were a valued member of the community.

That said, Wu is an adult and is free to make whatever choices he wants. If he feels that this thread is not worth the effort anymore, then that's that and I'm sorry to see him go.

Trey

I hope 343i listens to none of you and merely offers a plain experience for the old heads to play instead of outright removing AAs and ordnance and shit. Everyone wins.

BigShow36

It's CoD! And the game who put competitive features in is featured in a competitive gaming league! Omg I am shocked!

While I have fun playing CoD, it's not a competitively viable game. Unfortunately, neither is Halo any longer, so they might as well go with the one that acknowledges the competitive scene, as you pointed out.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

Just a heads up for the future

NeoGAF administration said:
One site in particular, VG Chartz, tends to come up a lot. VG Chartz numbers are considered unreliable, and because sales discussions often degrade into console war-style arguments between posters, it's really important to us that accurate sales numbers are posted for discussion. Users are generally banned for posting VG Chartz numbers because of the way it derails threads and prevents good discussion.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427771

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I hope 343i listens to none of you and merely offers a plain experience for the old heads to play instead of outright removing AAs and ordnance and shit. Everyone wins.
Very few HaloGAFers are asking for 343 to remove those, umm, "features" from the game entirely. I think most people would be down for classic playlists as long as they got a lot of support, including being positioned in visible, popular spots on the playlist roster.

Top Bottom