• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Fuchsdh

Best playlist in the game. I'll cry like a hungry, angry baby when it eventually gets "temporarily removed" in favor of something else.

As proven by SWAT I think if playlists are popular enough to keep a steady population they'll be around perennially.

As much as I like Regicide too I think it should get folded into a mixed FFA playlist already.
If you're going to cite ******** you might as well just make up numbers.

(And GAF agrees.)

IHaveIce

Banned
Best playlist in the game. I'll cry like a hungry, angry baby when it eventually gets "temporarily removed" in favor of something else.

You should really reconsider this opinion, because it's selfish crap. There's nothing wrong with enjoying and appreciating the changes made to Halo; many people do. Personally, I have to struggle with finding things I like about Halo 4, but that doesn't give me the audacity to make a blanket statement that everything I don't like is just complete shit across the board and anyone who disagrees with me is a fool who doesn't understand how it's supposed to be. It's shit like this that makes the thread more and more of a chore to read.

I never said that I think that "anyone who disagrees with me is a fool who doesn't understand how it's supposed to be" Don't invent shit I didn't say, you are old enough to know you don't do stuff like this.

And yes, I already stated that it is only my opinion and it is controversial of course, but no I dont change my opinion just because of that.

Havok

You probably won't have to wait long for that - it's usually the second lowest populated playlist, usually just 1.5-2k above Crimson DLC's abysmal population at peak. I hope it stays alive, but once they start doing regular matchmaking updates again, I don't know if it will.

Looking at Halocharts, Oddball has maintained a decent population, which I assume is the King of the Hill regulars going to a similar home and keeping those numbers steady (actually, none of the objective playlists are seeing much in the way of dropoff, despite the total population going down - this is interesting because of what it says about those demographics). Team Control, please - core gametypes should always be available in matchmaking. Tear down the Extraction paywall and put it in the same playlist while you're at it.

Gaming side doesn't bother me. They are not Halo fans so they do not understand Halo fans.

What defines a Halo fan? Am I a Halo fan? Is Nullpointer a Halo fan? Is Wu a Halo fan? What's the criteria here?

You know, it's comments like this that don't help anything, and give bad reputation to a community.

As proven by SWAT I think if playlists are popular enough to keep a steady population they'll be around perennially.
TR unfortunately has about the same population as Oddball (2-3000 when I'm on), which are the lowest populated playlists in the game outside of the DLC playlist. If 343 plans on keeping the playlist quantities low to keep people from having to scroll down, something's gotta give when the Forge, Doubles, and Snipers playlists get added.

edit: Havok'd

J10

Banned

As much as I like Regicide too I think it should get folded into a mixed FFA playlist already.

If you're going to cite ******** you might as well just make up numbers.

(And GAF agrees.)

The SWAT numbers are actually made up. The real reason it still exists is because it's the only playlist in which Frankie can go positive.

Fuchsdh

TR unfortunately has about the same population as Oddball (2-3000 when I'm on), which are the lowest populated playlists in the game outside of the DLC playlist. If 343 plans on keeping the playlist quantities low to keep people from having to scroll down, something's gotta give when the Forge, Doubles, and Snipers playlists get added.

edit: Havok'd
Well we'll see. Thus far they've tried to keep at least a slice of all game types about. I just wonder what would happen if they made an Objective playlist for the KOTH and less popular choices--would it nuke the population or would it draw people in from the others?

The quality of posting is actually better than I've seen it in a long time because we have people actually delving into the why of things. Just because it's not constant slurping doesn't mean there is no "high level of discussion." I've seen more intelligent, meaningful posts about Halo in the past month than I have over the past several years. The fact that you abandon ship just because everyone isn't constantly praising Halo speaks volumes. How do you think those of us who posted here for years and years when our opinions where constantly shit on felt? Anytime anything critical was posted, everyone jumped on it like it was the most absurd and unthoughtful thing ever. Guess what? We kept at it because thats what an internet forum is all about; discussing things. If you get butthurt anytime someone disagrees with you it's amazing you lasted this long.

Man up and deal with the fact that this is a discussion board and it's better when people are actually discussing things, even if you disagree with them, rather than blindly praising everything. If you can't handle the fact that a lot of people don't like the direction Halo is going then by all means, leave.
Great post.

How do you mean too strange? Like the plot was outside of what we've come to know as a Halo story? I didn't feel that way at all. I just thought that it played like a movie that may get a sequel if it did well at the box office, which obviously wasn't a concern here. If this was supposed to be the first story of a planned trilogy (or whatever), it certainly didn't come across as one.

You're movie analogy is pretty accurate.

My problem was that whenever I get engrossed in any fictional story I have to suspend my belief to a degree. Usually whenever I approach some new piece of fiction I go in with a completely open mind. As I read through the story I get a sense of what is and what is not possible in that world. After 6 Halo games I had a good sense of reality in the Halo universe and I knew (for the most part) what is and what is not possible. When Chief's "evolution was accelerated" and he was both digital and human at the same time and the librarian started explaining things I was ripped out of the story. None of that was within the realm of possible that I had developed after 6 games. I had the same problem with Cryptum. Everything just seemed outside of what was possible in the Halo universe. It just seems so far fetched.

I am fine with exploring the Forerunner but I do not agree with the way 343 is going about it. It is one thing explore the mysteries of them by filling in areas that had not been covered already; it is another to disregard previous conceptions of them. Up until Cryptum I think the majority of people imagined the Forerunner to be a noble people that constructed and activated the Halos as a last result. Instead, the forerunner are depicted as evil tyrants lording over the humans. Not to mention the way the flood are portrayed now. Essentially the flood existed as dust that humans rubbed on their dogs to make them more docile. That is kind of...lame. So not only does the new fiction seemed far fetched but it also breaks preconceptions of things.

Now, breaking preconceptions is not always a bad thing to do. I believe that when a story does a good job of breaking a preconception it does so by revealing something that presents what you already know in a new light. For instance in the movie The Departed the end of the movie reveals the crime lord the police have been trying to put away for the entirety of the film is actually an FBI informant. This leaves the viewer with moral questions and a sense of disgust that the supposed "good guys" are capable of letting a horrible crime lord like this run free in exchange for information. This is not a moment where everything you previously knew is invalidated but rather a new perspective has been gained.

Halo 4 and the Forerunner trilogy are presenting a new perspective but it is also one that invalidates all previous knowledge. It is really hard to present a new perspective without invalidating preconceptions.

Nowise10

If you guys dont know, Marcus Lehto (the ex-creative director from Bungie, who worked on every Halo) created a blog ever since he left Bungie. Every few months he'll make a blog about his position in the video game world, and it is really really interesting.

I think you guys would like it, you should check it out. He just made one again today explaining how he thought he was done with video games and his creative thoughts had died out.

http://blog.marcuslehto.com/

Well we'll see. Thus far they've tried to keep at least a slice of all game types about. I just wonder what would happen if they made an Objective playlist for the KOTH and less popular choices--would it nuke the population or would it draw people in from the others?
One of the things Halo 4 did that I absolutely agree with is dedicated playlists. Not sure how I'd like another conglomeration, but then again something is better than nothing. I'd probably enjoy a mix of KOTH, Oddball, and TR if they were regularly rotated each game instead of the old way where you had to vote for a new gametype/map combo every time.

You're movie analogy is pretty accurate.

My problem was that whenever I get engrossed in any fictional story I have to suspend my belief to a degree. Usually whenever I approach some new piece of fiction I go in with a completely open mind. As I read through the story I get a sense of what is and what is not possible in that world. After 6 Halo games I had a good sense of reality in the Halo universe and I knew (for the most part) what is and what is not possible. When Chief's "evolution was accelerated" and he was both digital and human at the same time and the librarian started explaining things I was ripped out of the story. None of that was within the realm of possible that I had developed after 6 games. I had the same problem with Cryptum. Everything just seemed outside of what was possible in the Halo universe. It just seems so far fetched.

I am fine with exploring the Forerunner but I do not agree with the way 343 is going about it. It is one thing explore the mysteries of them by filling in areas that had not been covered already; it is another to disregard previous conceptions of them. Up until Cryptum I think the majority of people imagined the Forerunner to be a noble people that constructed and activated the Halos as a last result. Instead, the forerunner are depicted as evil tyrants lording over the humans. Not to mention the way the flood are portrayed now. Essentially the flood existed as dust that humans rubbed on their dogs to make them more docile. That is kind of...lame. So not only does the new fiction seemed far fetched but it also breaks preconceptions of things.

Now, breaking preconceptions is not always a bad thing to do. I believe that when a story does a good job of breaking a preconception it does so by revealing something that presents what you already know in a new light. For instance in the movie The Departed the end of the movie reveals the crime lord the police have been trying to put away for the entirety of the film is actually an FBI informant. This leaves the viewer with moral questions and a sense of disgust that the supposed "good guys" are capable of letting a horrible crime lord like this run free in exchange for information. This is not a moment where everything you previously knew is invalidated but rather a new perspective has been gained.

Halo 4 and the Forerunner trilogy are presenting a new perspective but it is also one that invalidates all previous knowledge. It is really hard to present a new perspective without invalidating preconceptions.
I'm sure that if I had read more of the books, my sentiments would echo yours. Nice post.

Fuchsdh

One of the things Halo 4 did that I absolutely agree with is dedicated playlists. Not sure how I'd like another conglomeration, but then again something is better than nothing. I'd probably enjoy a mix of KOTH, Oddball, and TR if they were regularly rotated each game instead of the old way where you had to vote for a new gametype/map combo every time.
I definitely agree to a point, but I also think more compact playlist selection makes sense so I'm inclined to think some hoppers ought to be merged.

What defines a Halo fan? Am I a Halo fan? Is Nullpointer a Halo fan? Is Wu a Halo fan? What's the criteria here?

You know, it's comments like this that don't help anything, and give bad reputation to a community.

Did I ever say you weren't? I would say it is safe to assume the the people who care the most about this franchise post here where as the more casual players will make the occasional post in the gaming side threads.

Do Halo fans have differing views? Yes. Do I want everyone to think exactly the same? No. Did my post give the community a bad reputation? No; it merely differentiated between those who are heavily invested in the franchise and those who are not. I said gaming side did not bother me; they tend to be people that play Halo from time to time and they are entitled to their own opinions on the franchise. A cursory glance at this thread may make it appear that we hate everything to happen to this franchise after 2004 but the only reason why we are critical is because we care about the franchise and hold each title to a very high standard that we have come to expect over the years.

A cursory glance at this thread may make it appear that we hate everything to happen to this franchise after 2004 but the only reason why we are critical is because we care about the franchise and hold each title to a very high standard that we have come to expect over the years.

Well said.

Can someone make me an avatar of Barlow holding a BR while riding a unicorn?

I don't see how that gives a bad reputation to the community bro. Some people just happen to be Halo fans and some don't. There is nothing wrong with occasionally pointing that out.

First off, I'm not a bro. Secondly, you basically missed the point of that post, which was to take aim at the broad stroke that he used in that post, and which he uses regularly. There are a lot of people over in gaming side that don't like Halo 4 because it's too much like CoD, and had a lot of fun with Halo 2 and Halo 3. Are they Halo fans? There are Halo fans on GAF that don't post here. As well, there are people in that thread that like Halo 4 and all of the other Halo games, or just like Halo 4, or some people who don't like Halo because they don't like the kill times for example (the last part that statement can be applied).

If I were a semi-lurker or someone who couldn't post and really liked Halo 4, I'd be put off by that statement. Let's say, hypothetically, that something were to click in my head and I were to start really liking Halo 4: a complete Halo 4 fangirl, if you will. And let's say I like it to the point where I like it more than Halo 1-3. Would I still be a Halo fan?
Did I ever say you weren't? I would say it is safe to assume the the people who care the most about this franchise post here where as the more casual players will make the occasional post in the gaming side threads.

Do Halo fans have differing views? Yes. Do I want everyone to think exactly the same? No. Did my post give the community a bad reputation? No; it merely differentiated between those who are heavily invested in the franchise and those who are not. I said gaming side did not bother me; they tend to be people that play Halo from time to time and they are entitled to their own opinions on the franchise. A cursory glance at this thread may make it appear that we hate everything to happen to this franchise after 2004 but the only reason why we are critical is because we care about the franchise and hold each title to a very high standard that we have come to expect over the years.
So the difference in being a Halo fan is one's investment in the franchise? I don't see how not being as invested as some of the people here makes you not a fan. What about those that aren't too invested in the franchise but really enjoyed Halo 2 and 3 but not Halo 4?

Now it seems like you're say something completely different from the post I quoted.

J10

Banned

How do you know the people who post on gaming side aren't Halo fans?

TUSR

Banned
If you guys dont know, Marcus Lehto (the ex-creative director from Bungie, who worked on every Halo) created a blog ever since he left Bungie. Every few months he'll make a blog about his position in the video game world, and it is really really interesting.

I think you guys would like it, you should check it out. He just made one again today explaining how he thought he was done with video games and his creative thoughts had died out.

http://blog.marcuslehto.com/

Loving his writing style.

Overdoziz

Banned
Spartan Ops

iNW8Sw4GkNXTc.png

i4EqoFMadV4Ky.png

iBBMzXZe3W8QA.png

iFX278dJqBaxL.png

ibvTP4q1rv263g.png

iTE5ArncKyohQ.png

iRbhHENL72khE.png

ibqpYGOEaBRWV9.png

ibrAyZyWDU4lKQ.png

i7Fhki2ZfdhVV.png

iocIxdqQ1AvVj.png

ibjikK0wqIpyPW.png

iAWclBkO5TyzI.png

Kujo

TR unfortunately has about the same population as Oddball (2-3000 when I'm on), which are the lowest populated playlists in the game outside of the DLC playlist.
TR and Oddball get pretty damn low when the US goes to bed. When I was on before they were both around the 300 mark, sometimes below. I just finished mastering them both so do whatever you like with them 343

I booted up MW3 twice today at the same time as H4 and I thought this was interesting:

US peak
Halo 4 - 80k players in matchmaking
MW3 - 55k players in matchmaking

US sleeps
Halo 4 - 16k players in matchmaking
MW3 - 26k players in matchmaking

MW3 seems to be doing better outside the US, then again it does have local search and players from every country can prestige from day 1

Agreed. A community should be about inclusiveness, not exclusiveness.

--

This still boggles my mind. What is it? The architecture look like nothing I've seen in Halo before. Seems somewhat similar to the new Flood design, but at first I thought it was a Scarab. It looks vaguely Covenant... but, not quite. It moves in the trailer, but what the hell is it? A building, vehicle, entity?

Spartan Ops
Looking good. And I'm a little more optimistic for the future of SpOps if only because you can see the evolution in design across the first 5 episodes. There are still some late mission whiffs (defending those stations against Promethean waves, some of which spawn RIGHT ON TOP OF YOU), but each episode has been better than the last.

How do you know the people who post on gaming side aren't Halo fans?
I'm saying it is the difference between the "hardcore" fans and those who are fans of the game in the sense that they enjoy playing Halo but choose not to delve into the series the way people in this thread have. That is not meant to be an insult. I'm a "casual" Gears fan; I enjoy playing the titles from time to time but I'm not really invested in that franchise.

If I were a semi-lurker or someone who couldn't post and really liked Halo 4, I'd be put off by that statement. Let's say, hypothetically, that something were to click in my head and I were to start really liking Halo 4: a complete Halo 4 fangirl, if you will. And let's say I like it to the point where I like it more than Halo 1-3. Would I still be a Halo fan?

So the difference in being a Halo fan is one's investment in the franchise? I don't see how not being as invested as some of the people here makes you not a fan. What about those that aren't too invested in the franchise but really enjoyed Halo 2 and 3 but not Halo 4?

Now it seems like you're say something completely different from the post I quoted.
Several regular members here really enjoy Halo 4 and I have never claimed that they are not true Halo fans.

Dax, if you want to keep arguing with me about all of my posts my PM box is not full but I would appreciate it if you would actually read my posts as they are written instead of assuming everything I write is an attack on 343 or people who disagree with me.

Rev3rb

TR and Oddball get pretty damn low when the US goes to bed. When I was on before they were both around the 300 mark, sometimes below. I just finished mastering them both so do whatever you like with them 343

I booted up MW3 twice today at the same time as H4 and I thought this was interesting:

US peak
Halo 4 - 80k players in matchmaking
MW3 - 55k players in matchmaking

US sleeps
Halo 4 - 16k players in matchmaking
MW3 - 26k players in matchmaking

MW3 seems to be doing better outside the US, then again it does have local search and players from every country can prestige from day 1

What does BLOPS 2 look like in comparison?

im actually curious

Kujo

What does BLOPS 2 look like in comparison?
I don't have it, I skip CoD every 2nd year. A few months before BLOP2 came out MW3 was doing around 400k US peak a day I think, with lows of like 80k. In comparison, Reach lows a few months before H4 are around what H4 is doing now

Moa

WXQne.png

I hope I'm not the only one to notice that face on the 'Scarab'.

I highlighted for you for the sake of being useful.

WXQne.png

I hope I'm not the only one to notice that face on the 'Scarab'.

I highlighted for you for the sake of being useful.

Looks like everyone says it's a Scarab. Cool. Seems strange that it would be sitting there not doing anything, though. I wonder what it's there for...

Return of the faces! OONSK 2.0!

Moa

Looks like everyone says it's a Scarab. Cool. Seems strange that it would be sitting there not doing anything, though. I wonder what it's there for...

Return of the faces! OONSK 2.0!

If you ask me, I don't think it's a Scarab, but someone else mentioned it was, so I just went with the flow, it looks more Flood related to me, although it is likely Forerunner.

Bungie Webcams for Pentathlon.

CyReN

I don't have it, I skip CoD every 2nd year. A few months before BLOP2 came out MW3 was doing around 400k US peak a day I think, with lows of like 80k. In comparison, Reach lows a few months before H4 are around what H4 is doing now

Right now for strictly multiplayer:
Halo 4 - 57,023
Black Ops 2 - 417,075

----
Pictures above look badass, one of my favorite Halo memories ever was fighting those multiple Scarabs for the first time.

Enfinit

This place has become too toxic for me. I think I'll let biggy find GAF-generated news going forward; I don't have the energy to wade through the vitriol to find the good stuff.

Definitely won't make a huge change around here; I hardly post any more anyway... but for folks who are surprised by the attitude this group gets from other parts of GAF, you should understand that as someone who used to come here for the high level of discussion, things have degraded a LOT in recent months.

See ya starside.

HaloGAF can be a pretty negative place from the past few months I've been here. However, instead of seeing a bunch of bitching a moaning, I've altered my perspective to see it as a method of passion. People post here because they care about Halo. They bitch about problems because they want to see them fixed. They bitch about Twitter statuses and bulletins because it's not what they want to hear, especially when they were told they were going to hear it. They're here for a reason, and while it might seem that that reason is to just bitch meaningless on an Internet forum for lulz and trendiness on the surface, I don't believe this is the case for the majority of HaloGAF. That's just how I see it.

Sometimes the discussion here can be extremely negative, non-constructive, or "vitriol". Ignore that nonsense if it bothers you. If you see a surprising lack of "high level" then there's always the option of creating your own. You're Louis Wu, people will listen.

That's just my two cents anyways.

I mean the environments. Lush green plains or a brown and white science lab that we've seen before.

Wait to see the next map pack. The concept art/descriptions make the map locations sound pretty creative.

Skyline:
1000px-Skyline.jpg

While very little is known about this map at this time, it's "distinctly industrial feel provides new challenges in somewhat familiar, but occasionally confined spaces."

Looks like the map is set against a backdrop of a human super-city at dusk/dawn.

Monolith:
1000px-Monolith.jpg

While very little is known about this map at this time, it will "exposes you to the naked vacuum of space – and the firepower of opposing teams."

This map seems to be set on or near some active Forerunner installation within an asteroid field against a backdrop of a gas giant.

Landfall:
1000px-Landfall.jpg

While very little is known about this map at this time, it's "emphasis is on infantry battles against a glittering ocean on a distant world."

Anything featuring an ocean on an alien world is cool to me. Reminds me of the secret Sabre facility beach skirmish location from Reach, Long Night of Solace:

And the maps are confirmed to be Small, Small, Medium. Not sure which one is which, though. How long before Crimson did 343 show off the maps? I'd like to see a screenshot or two from each pretty soon.

Fuchsdh

HaloGAF can be a pretty negative place from the past few months I've been here. However, instead of seeing a bunch of bitching a moaning, I've altered my perspective to see it as a method of passion. People post here because they care about Halo. They bitch about problems because they want to see them fixed. They bitch about Twitter statuses and bulletins because it's not what they want to hear, especially when they were told they were going to hear it. They're here for a reason, and while it might seem that that reason is to just bitch meaningless on an Internet forum for lulz and trendiness on the surface, I don't believe this is the case for the majority of HaloGAF. That's just how I see it.

Sometimes the discussion here can be extremely negative, non-constructive, or "vitriol". Ignore that nonsense if it bothers you. If you see a surprising lack of "high level" then there's always the option of creating your own. You're Louis Wu, people will listen.

That's just my two cents anyways.

But at some point it passes from constructive criticisms to repeating the same things ad nauseum. That's not all HaloGAFs fault, every forum has "cycles" as it were but even if you've been that invested... it can still be a waste.

I doubt Halo 4 is going to turn into the second coming of Halo 4, so if you really can't stand it why are you still in the thread? At some point it's a waste of everyone's time. I'm not blowing up Star Trek threads because I didn't like the new movie--I moved on.

It's a media franchise guys. And love it or hate what it's become, it's also just one game out of more media than you could ever enjoy over a hundred lifetimes.

TheOddOne

But at some point it passes from constructive criticisms to repeating the same things as nauseum. That's not all HaloGAFs fault, every forum has "cycles" as it were but even if you've been that invested... at some point it's a waste.

I doubt Halo 4 is going to turn into the second coming of Halo 4, so if you really can't stand it why are you still in the thread? At some point it's a waste of everyone's time.
Ding, ding, ding.

Halo 4 in 2013.

Top Bottom