• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Havok

One of this week's Weekly War Games Challenges:

That's Just Perfect - 6950 XP
Type: War Games
Complete a War Games match with at least 15 kills without dying.

I'll say this every time it happens until it stops happening: 343, please stop this nonsense. All you are doing is encouraging people to play like assholes.

I am liking the multiplayer so far, is it really only 5 maps for team slayer?
Six total, but one is DLC.

A full list of maps and gametypes in each playlist is available here.

Hey CCs, get a Pit remake in rotation pls thx. Sanctuary, too.

This please. Looking forward to the Forge playlist, Haven and Adrift 24/7 yo.

Sad that Halo is losing long time competitors and characters from that community. Listened for a bit and the lack of a ranking system is the thing which comes up again and again. No incentive to keep coming back and find out where you stand on the skill spectrum. I mean, looking back, it's straight up insulting that the MLG playlist was social in Reach. A social MLG list is basically an oxymoron.

But ranked playlists and objective playlists don't get the population that social and pure slayer lists so scrap em right guys? Fuck the people who came to Halo for that sort of thing, they don't count. Got it? The eventuality of that terribly corrosive line of thinking is Infection, Grifball, Slayer, Swat and Firefight FRG Arcade being the only worthy playlists. If you made 'Big Team: Gauss Hog!' a playlist I have no doubt it'd be in the top three. If you pander to and build systems for 11 year olds don't be surprised when older fans step away from the game.

I'll say this every time it happens until it stops happening: 343, please stop this nonsense. All you are doing is encouraging people to play like assholes.

Sometimes, even when one tries really hard, it's impossible to remain even handed and polite about 343's stewardship of this franchise. What on earth are they thinking with a challenge like that? In the week we get a new playlist with new maps we have to contend with that rubbish.

Six total, but one is DLC.

A full list of maps and gametypes in each playlist is available here.

Thanks mate, would people recommend the Crimson map pack then?

GrizzNKev

Banned
I wouldn't bother unless you're really invested. The maps aren't stellar and the population for the dedicated DLC playlist is abysmal. The next pack drops late February and sounds more promising.

The maps aren't that great but they do show up very often as voting options if you have them, so if you're really itching for more variety go ahead and get them.

But if you're after quality I'd wait it out and see what the next map pack (and forge playlist) brings us.

Will bear that in mind. My live runs out soon as well. Decisions need to be made.

Finding the battle rifle to be more useful that the DMR, maybe it's because I can spam more.

zap

Will bear that in mind. My live runs out soon as well. Decisions need to be made.

Finding the battle rifle to be more useful that the DMR, maybe it's because I can spam more.

BR is easier to use and get kills with (the 3 shot burst makes it easier to get at least some bullets connecting), but the DMR is more powerful once you get your aim down.

Spiders

Anyone finish the new episode of Spartan Ops yet?

I won't be able to play it for the next 8 hours and I'd like some impressions.

Madness

Lol reading through pages of the OT through gizoogle is hilarious. This was sltPoison from the second page:

"Side note, I be done bein cynical yo. Heckfu done cooked up a phat point earlier bout mah crazy ass bein a thugged-out dude at a restaurant whoz ass gots bad chicken, was refunded yo, but stuck around complaining. It aint nuthin but a waste of effort seein as I don't own tha game yo. Hell, mah Xbox is up in a funky-ass bag muthafuckin right now, nahmeean, biatch? If tha next TU is flop status, expect mah crazy ass ta revert though lol"

Just finished the first mission, it seems they balanced the dialog levels and gameplay sound better and there seemed to be a little less "crimson" bombs.

Game play wise I actually enjoyed it, but i tend to enjoy covenant encounters more. I also really enjoyed the environment, I hope I don't find myself getting sick of it by next week.

Akai__

When you go into "War Games" and then proceed to "Find Game" it will jump to "Crimson DLC". Are they trying to get more players into this playlist?

Also, multiplayer is still not as good as it could be. Now I'm jumping into the 1st new mission of Spartan Ops. CGI was cool.

Edit:
Mine jumps to Oddball and IS...

Nevermind, then. :p

Omni

When you go into "War Games" and then proceed to "Find Game" it will jump to "Crimson DLC". Are they trying to get more players into this playlist?

Also, multiplayer is still not as good as it could be. Now I'm jumping into the 1st new mission of Spartan Ops. CGI was cool.
Mine jumps to Oddball and IS...

My Internet is slow tonight. Only up to 60%... :\

Striker

And whoever thought shieldless zombies vs. pistols was good design back in the Halo 2 custom days should be forced to start as a zombie in such a mode for the rest of their playing life.
It was probably thought up that way because it was not something that they felt was needed to be taken seriously. It was something people did to have fun or dick around. See other things in H2 customs they did in the same experience: Tower of Power, demo derby, Ghost launching, Cops & Robbers, etc. But it's some serious game people take now since it's in MM, so there's people who find exploits, camp at one high spot, and just overall becomes a mundane experience. Gotta get dat EXP/cR!

Shadders

I doubt Halsey cares, eggheads do not feel emotions.

That's the impression they'll give in the game.

Meanwhile in the third book of the Kilo-Five trilogy, we'll have a deep internal monologue where she beats herself up over the fact she was more upset about the death of Cortana than she was about the death of Miranda.

In other news Tee Fury have a Halo shirt today:

1355948172_top-overkill.jpg

http://www.teefury.com/

Akai__

Playing Lockout in Halo 4 makes me wish I was playing a classic gametype. Boltshots, Ordnance, and AAs, oh my!

Played a SWAT game and a IS game on it and both were bad. There is already a camping spot on the snipe tower... -.-

Multiplayer is still nothing for me, with all that bullshit like Camo, PV, Jetpack etc.

Havok

Anyone finish the new episode of Spartan Ops yet?

I won't be able to play it for the next 8 hours and I'd like some impressions.
Ask and ye shall receive.

In short: a significant step up in quality from the first half of the season, most of which I wasn't exactly in love with.

The chapters actually feel like snippets from a campaign mission rather than "Here's an area, go hit buttons and oh PS drop pods incoming!" There's a logical progression and flow through the playspaces that the first half of the season just didn't have. However, I do not see these spaces being as reusable as the first, because they are much less like generic combat arenas and more like actual levels than before.

I feel like the encounters are much more manageable solo and more well-designed than the first half's, with a more careful hand than the established Spartan Ops trend of dumping an assload of enemies out all at once, often on top of the player. That happened to me once during this episode, but it wasn't the annoying enemy composition that we saw previously. In general, there is a much higher percentage of enemies wielding rifles now, so expect Storm Rifle/Carbine Elites and Light Rifle/Suppressor Knights more than anything. Those types of encounters are where I think Halo combat excels rather than the instakill FRG/Incineration/Binary moments, so it's really encouraging to see them focus on it more in this episode.

Fuel Rod Guns are still in use, and still pretty obnoxious. They're usually on Grunts now, though, rather than Elites, which is a good change. There are still Binary Rifles (a lot of them) and Incineration Cannons galore on one of the missions, and they're still not fun to fight against. There is also a moment where 6+ Beam Rifle Jackals drop in and immediately start blasting you. That totally sucks. Please don't do that.

There is asset reuse, from both campaign and multiplayer. I think it works better than the first half of the season. I'll detail the reuse in spoiler tags at the bottom of this post for those that are interested.

Interesting to note that they seem to be balancing out their commendation progress this episode, where the last half of the season didn't have many Jackal Majors, Knight Battlewagons and Commanders, and certain Elite classes, there are plenty now. As someone who is stupidly trying to max those out, I appreciate it.

The talking head dialogue snippets are still a little hit or miss, though I think it is markedly better than before (not a single mention of eggheads). The combat dialogue from Miller and Palmer is still grating ("I still see targets!" "Drop pod incoming!" "Get to work, Crimson.") if only because of how frequently it occurs.

This is much closer to the quality bar than the majority of the first half of the season. I don't know if this upward trend will last, but this is a pretty strong start to the second half of the season.

Locations and asset reuse:
Chapter 1: All new.
Chapter 2: Reuses the big pyramid structure from the end of the level Requiem, but at night. It's cool.
Chapter 3: All new.
Chapter 4: Vortex.
Chapter 5: All new, and really disappointing given the hype surrounding it.

Dumbest line of dialogue ever:
Player is standing surrounded by green boxes and ammo crates filled with Battle Rifles, Assault Rifles, and DMRs.

Miller: "Yep, that's UNSC gear, all right."

TheOddOne

Chapters 1, 3 and 5 of week 6 are really fantastic. Wide open campaign like spaces, decent enemy placements and minimal annoying chatter. Chapters 2 and 4 are subpar compared to the other chapters though, let's say they are stuck in the mindset of the first of the season.

The first section reminded me so much of The Ark. At first I was like "they are building up to a huge space" and then it didn't happen :( Still was suprised that we got to go into the Harvester

That's the impression they'll give in the game.

Meanwhile in the third book of the Kilo-Five trilogy, we'll have a deep internal monologue where she beats herself up over the fact she was more upset about the death of Cortana than she was about the death of Miranda.

In other news Tee Fury have a Halo shirt today:

1355948172_top-overkill.jpg

http://www.teefury.com/
Looks awful. It looks like one of those shirts a 12-year old poser hiphop kid would wear. Sorry. Not a buy. TheYetee.com had much better design:

Ask and ye shall receive.

In short: a significant step up in quality from the first half of the season, most of which I wasn't exactly in love with.

The chapters actually feel like snippets from a campaign mission rather than "Here's an area, go hit buttons and oh PS drop pods incoming!" There's a logical progression and flow through the playspaces that the first half of the season just didn't have. However, I do not see these spaces being as reusable as the first, because they are much less like generic combat arenas and more like actual levels than before.

I feel like the encounters are much more manageable solo and more well-designed than the first half's, with a more careful hand than the established Spartan Ops trend of dumping an assload of enemies out all at once, often on top of the player. That happened to me once during this episode, but it wasn't the annoying enemy composition that we saw previously. In general, there is a much higher percentage of enemies wielding rifles now, so expect Storm Rifle/Carbine Elites and Light Rifle/Suppressor Knights more than anything. Those types of encounters are where I think Halo combat excels rather than the instakill FRG/Incineration/Binary moments, so it's really encouraging to see them focus on it more in this episode.

Fuel Rod Guns are still in use, and still pretty obnoxious. They're usually on Grunts now, though, rather than Elites, which is a good change. There are still Binary Rifles (a lot of them) and Incineration Cannons galore on one of the missions, and they're still not fun to fight against. There is also a moment where 6+ Beam Rifle Jackals drop in and immediately start blasting you. That totally sucks. Please don't do that.

There is asset reuse, from both campaign and multiplayer. I think it works better than the first half of the season. I'll detail the reuse in spoiler tags at the bottom of this post for those that are interested.

Interesting to note that they seem to be balancing out their commendation progress this episode, where the last half of the season didn't have many Jackal Majors, Knight Battlewagons and Commanders, and certain Elite classes, there are plenty now. As someone who is stupidly trying to max those out, I appreciate it.

The talking head dialogue snippets is still a little hit or miss, though I think it is markedly better than before (not a single mention of eggheads). The combat dialogue from Miller and Palmer is still grating ("I still see targets!" "Drop pod incoming!" "Get to work, Crimson.") if only because of how frequently it occurs.

This is much closer to the quality bar than the majority of the first half of the season. I don't know if this upward trend will last, but this is a pretty strong start to the second half of the season.

Locations and asset reuse:
Chapter 1: All new.
Chapter 2: Reuses the big pyramid structure from the end of the level Requiem, but at night. It's cool.
Chapter 3: All new.
Chapter 4: Vortex.

Dumbest line of dialogue ever:
Player is standing surrounded by green boxes and ammo crates filled with Battle Rifles, Assault Rifles, and DMRs.

Miller: "Yep, that's UNSC gear, all right."
That sounds great! I am excited.

Will be looking for Sp Ops players tonight for an hour.
8pm GMT (in 7 hours, 50 minutes).

Anyone interested?
Not sure. I think my connection is too worse to play Coop but we can try.

Overdoziz

Banned
The hill order on Despair chooses the middle hill like 4 times in a row.
Wild guess: The matchmaking gametype has a random hill order. The map itself is set up for a sequenced hill order and switches from a side hill, to the middle, the another side hill, and to the middle again in each cycle. For that to happen there have to be two separate hills in the same location in the middle which causes it to be chosen randomly several times in a row.

Cool, we'll give it a go anyway Hyper.
May have an Irish friend in Poland to join us too.

I should see Ying & Yang, but being honest, my mind went in more of a 69'ing style.
Yes. To be honest I thought the same haha.

Okay. Let us hope it works. I never played SpOps in Coop and would love to play it on Legendary.

Omni

It's nice to have skyboxes that aren't just flat .jpgs. I mean, they're still nowhere near as extensive as those found in Reach/3, but cool anyway. Much better to look at.

Plus is the second mission just taken from campaign? Seems familiar... just dark. (we totally need more night maps in this game)

Homeboyd

Wait.. honestly I don't know which map he had, but let's say he had a good map.. a really good map, but it gets removed just because he was an ass on a messageboard? Wat.

edit: Ok if he is banned from all these sites something may be wrong with him lol
Well, which is it?! Is it ok to be an ass or not?

In all seriousness, it's nowhere near as cut and dry as people make it with regards to Reach. The important thing is, like Nok said, we're starting fresh. Bravo's at the helm and knows of previous issues, etc... It would, however, be hard to support someone who threatened ppl reviewing his map with bigoted or racist comments, threatened to exploit MM purposely by getting his map into MM with hidden bug/exploit laden areas, etc...

Note: he didn't do any of this, but you can see behavior is an issue in some respects. However, we did exactly what you guys said should've been done; focused on the content, not the author. He's a great Forger (obviously), but that doesn't mean he's above following the most basic rules of human interaction on msg boards.

Havok did a great write-up on Episode 6. It's a marked improvement and I had fun playing through it on Legendary Co-op before work this morning.

TheOddOne

Anybody know what those flying things in the distance were at the last section of chapter 1? They were not Banshee's as far as I can tell.

Top Bottom