• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

What's up, HaloGAF? Long-time lurker, first-time poster. Wish I could've been here a few years ago to talk Halo, but unfortunately I'm here at what I consider the tail end of the franchise's supremacy.

Still love me some Halo, though. Been playing since CE and Xbox Connect. Hopefully, a next-gen Halo (5) will reignite the franchise and implement more desirable features.

I like you already - I want to hear more about the music you do!

heh, well I started with trance back in the day, and I still want to eventually get some good trance produced in the future, but I started getting into all kinds of things throughout the years. I started my label with one of my best friends I met in college when I was booking talent for a weekly. He got me into breaks, which is the label's focus. Because of that, I've been producing mostly breakbeat lately, but I want to eventually be doing trance, deep progressive house, liquid drum and bass, all kinds of stuff.

But anyway, I don't want to go too off topic, if you wanna know more, or hear examples, send me a PM, I'll gladly get more into it that stuff.

As for Halo, I hope at least the encounters and flow of Spartan Ops improves when it starts back up. New environments are great, and I know the writing and voice acting isn't going to improve (it's absolutely horrific at the moment, like, really laughably bad) but if the encounters improve in cool new spaces, spartan ops could take a step in the right direction.

Wow, his original pitch concept reminds me of the Destiny concept art:
halo_concept02_09.jpg

--

hai all juniors

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/31455487/halo-4/custom-game-option-browser/latest.html

List of all custom game options in Halo, and their status in Halo 4.

Pretty depressing.

Passionate fan is passionate. This is like vinegar in the wound. Very detailed, nonetheless.

I have to agree. If someone hasn't beaten it by this point then odds are they are dead or have lost their hands and physically can't.

Cool. People cried last time I didn't do it, so I just figured I would just to be on the safe side.

My Xbox Controller is finally dying on me. I need to get a new one. I was thinking of getting a wired controller (so I can use it on Xbox and PC) with programmable buttons, but the only ones I found were Razer, and apparently those break super fast.

Anyone here use a good third party controller with programmable buttons?

Beats Reach Firefight by a longshot

Disagreed entirely. I certainly had more fun playing Firefight than I ever did Spartan Ops. I really wish the Spartan Ops missions would have felt more like actual missions, though I guess as far as Halo is concerned, running to a point and holding X then fighting a wave of enemies = a mission. Some of the set pieces of Spartan Ops are pretty cool.

Nowise10

Disagreed entirely. I certainly had more fun playing Firefight than I ever did Spartan Ops. I really wish the Spartan Ops missions would have felt more like actual missions, though I guess as far as Halo is concerned, running to a point and holding X then fighting a wave of enemies = a mission. Some of the set pieces of Spartan Ops are pretty cool.

That doesnt beat Spawning with Jetpack and spawn killing waves enemies with the fuel cannon for 10 minutes?

RoKKeR

Beats Reach Firefight by a longshot
Disagreed entirely. Firefight had lasting appeal because it was about survival and tactics. Spartan Ops is just a romp through 15 minutes of "story" with horrible, recycled, and boring gameplay.

It has no lasting value. For me at least. Firefight most certainly did, especially in ODST.

TCKaos

Checking in.

Does Spartan Ops still suck?

I've been griefed in some form nearly every mission so far. That and the entirety of Miller and the very beginning of Thorne are massive cluster fucks. Miller features waves after waves of Prometheans teleporting inside of your anus and ripping it apart from within with no way to know when they're coming and no way to prepare yourself for each wave. They just happen with the expectation that you and your team will die over and over again, throwing your bodies at them in the hopes that they shoot you more than the generator.

The opening of Thorne has you charging up a hill with half a dozen or so Fuel Rod Elites and a handful of Fuel Rod Grunts at the top that you can't counter and you just have to pray that you hit them with enough of your bullets that by the time you respawn and make your way over there that they won't have all of their shields back. Rinse and repeat several times until your can use a pile of your own bloodied and broken carcasses as cover to fire upon them from.

1.5 better not suck.

Also, Reach's Firefight blows chunks compared to ODST's Firefight. If only it had better netcode...

RoKKeR

That doesnt beat Spawning with Jetpack and spawn killing waves enemies with the fuel cannon for 10 minutes?
1) That's not fun to you? At least in short bursts?

2) If you wanted classical firefight you were able to create that experience as well. Bungie gave us more than enough options to work with.

Omni

Disagreed entirely. Firefight had lasting appeal because it was about survival and tactics. Spartan Ops is just a romp through 15 minutes of "story" with horrible, recycled, and boring gameplay.

It has no lasting value. For me at least. Firefight most certainly did, especially in ODST.

I'm inclined to agree. Though in Reach, firefight Limited was the only good thing going for it... and Bungie removed it. So I guess that makes SO better by default.

Arcadefight was just terrible. Absolutely hated it.

If Halo 4 just brought Firefight back as it was in Reach I would have been disappointed, as I'm burned out on the whole "defend this area against waves of attackers" thing.

You need to vary up the objectives, and in that sense I'd rate Spartan Ops is a success. Sure you're hitting switches and crossing trigger volumes, but you alternate between assault and defense and as seen in later episodes, the scale of battles can grow mid-mission and incorporate new elements like the Mantis.

Its also got a much better story, and a more coherent story than the main campaign.

I'm optimistic at what 343 can achieve with the pieces they already have to work with, but even more with what the mode could be if they made some additions like scoring, skulls, in-game cut-scenes with player spartans, bonuses for perfect matches, challenges that require you to mix up your approach, and more multi-layered environments.

Throw in dynamic spawning and random optional side objectives and I'd be hooked.

Arcadefight was just terrible. Absolutely hated it.
I enjoyed it on the rare odd occasion, but over time Reach's Firefight just became a clusterfuck of power weapons with infinite ammo and lost all tension. ODST's was an imperfect implementation, but it had more to offer, moment to moment.

Nowise10

I can tell you right now Halo:Reach Firefight was not about tactics. You got Infinite ammo in Matchmaking Firefight, with ridiculous loadouts in Arcade firefight (AKA, the one everyone chose 99% of the time). Unless you just played Custom game Firefight and made it similar to ODST (which you still cant, as ODST had limited ammo crates), then it took little survival or tactical efforts.

ODST Firefight was good, that may beat Spartan Ops. Maybe.

That's fun, too. I always thought it was cool that I could hop into Firefight and play Gruntpocalypse to warm up my DMR or I could vote for Sniper start/Rocket start Firefight and have a blast doing virtually the same thing.

I don't recall Spartan Ops providing such arcade-esque opportunities on such a consistent basis.

It IS nice having objectives in Spartan Ops, but they're really not very unique to me. Like I said, it felt like I was doing the same old: slay mobs, go to location and hold X button, slay new mobs, go to next location, cutscene, info dump, slay mobs, go to next location, and so on.

We don't know, maybe Spartan Ops will shed some light on it soon.

Couldn't help but look into it a bit more. I recalled a line I heard Cortana say at one point during the campaign: "I'm your greatest achievement and you detest me." ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GbjA6rB98Yk#t=2352s @ 39:14 ) the context of which seems to have been an argument between her and Halsey. I don't remember ever reading about the two of them really having that many conversations together, but it's been awhile since I've read some of the books. Seems like Halsey didn't like Cortana? I don't ever remember that being the case...

Toa TAK

Banned
You won't be better for quite some time then.

I just don't get, especially after the technical achievement of Reach's theater mode (minus not being able to watch stuff with friends), that they would completely remove it. It doesn't make sense.

There's no reason to go back through the campaign again for me. LASO emblem is achieved, I beat it Legendary solo (heroic co-op) and that's it. No scoring or anything.

It sucks.

It IS nice having objectives in Spartan Ops, but they're really not very unique to me. Like I said, it felt like I was doing the same old: slay mobs, go to location and hold X button, slay new mobs, go to next location, cutscene, info dump, slay mobs, go to next location, and so on.
That's like every shooter campaign ever. What kind of varied objectives do you want to see?

malfcn

I just don't get, especially after the technical achievement of Reach's theater mode (minus not being able to watch stuff with friends), that they would completely remove it. It doesn't make sense.

There's no reason to go back through the campaign again for me. LASO emblem is achieved, I beat it Legendary solo (heroic co-op) and that's it. No scoring or anything.

It sucks.

How were you able to do LASO, tips?

Nowise10

Flood would be more fun if the melee actually worked more accurately.

Flood would be more fun if:

Flood didnt have shields

Flood didn't have such an overpowered thruster pack that send them hurling at you at 88 MPH

Additional tip* Played smaller background music the entire game, then last man standing played the intense music

Nowise10

Ok, seriously? Please tell me you're trolling at this point.

Not trolling.

1: Flood shouldnt even have shields, they are flood.

2: Magnum is somewhat useless, compared to Halo 3 Infection and Reach infection. Plus when zombies are hurling at you (at 88 MPH), it somewhat pointless to even have the pistol out as a weapon.

When was the last time you went a game and survived as a human the entire time throughout Halo 4.

I love spawning with a melee weapon and no shields against people with headshot weapons!

Reach infection is terrible.

I like your avatar. Brings back so many feels.

That said, zombies not seem to work as well (or at least play as fun) as it did back in H2. I think your complaint about the utility weapons is valid. Shotty/pistol in H2 seemed to provide better balance than DMR/BR/etc/H4 Magnum provides.

Omni

Ohmygod. Two games of CTF on Adrift with teammates that I'm sure have to wear helmets while riding the bus.

Argh. I actually rage quit. Guess I'll just wait for SO before playing again.

Toa TAK

Banned
How were you able to do LASO, tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3bdppehrUI

This man.

Not trolling.

2: Magnum is somewhat useless, compared to Halo 3 Infection and Reach infection. Plus when zombies are hurling at you (at 88 MPH), it somewhat pointless to even have the pistol out as a weapon.

When was the last time you went a game and survived as a human the entire time throughout Halo 4.

1. That's horrible. I don't want to go back to Reach where you ended up throwing your body at humans. It gives the Flood a fair chance and isn't overpowering them.

2. Headshots work great if you're using your magnum from a distance. If you're going for body shots, you're wasting ammo.

And as for your last question, today. If you trying to survive by your lonesome and do so, you're a great player. But for everyone else, it's just a matter of sticking together.

Rev3rb

Not trolling.

It was way too easy surviving in older infection games. The balance is much better. No shield flood would be annoying as fuck (for the flood dudes).

Enfinit

Not trolling.

If the Flood didn't have shields, they would be completely useless by the fact that humans spawn with a 2X zoom pistol with limited bloom. The Halo 3 pistol was arguably the most useless weapon by itself, and how you can say that the Halo 4 pistol is more useless than the Halo 3 and Reach pistol is literally blowing my mind. The Reach pistol had an incredible rate of fire with a 2X zoom, and the Halo 4 pistol is essentially the same with a slightly slower rate of fire and thus less bloom. I have more accuracy pissing drunk than hitting anyone with Halo 3's pistol.

If starting Floods didn't have any shields, it would be a bloodbath. Canonically, it doesn't make sense for Floods to have shields, true. However, they have shields for balancing reasons. If they didn't, it would be so completely lopsided that converting humans would be nearly impossible without either 1.) camping the whole round, or 2.) continuously hurl your body at a player in hopes of luckily infecting them. I don't see understand how you fail to see this.

The thruster pack is also there as a balancing ability. The thruster pack is powerful, that's why players need to know how and when to use it so they don't fly off the damn map. If a Flood is hurling at you, switch to your shotgun. Floods are weak, only have a melee weapon, and move quickly. If Flood had the settings you wanted, they would move at normal speed and have no shields. How is that even remotely fair for players being the Flood?

I don't play Flood often, however I find myself becoming the Last Man Standing quite often. Do I survive the entire round by myself? Not usually, because I become overwhelmed by numbers. Which is exactly how it should be.

I completely disagree with every single thing regarding gameplay you've said in this thread thus far.

Karl2177

If anything, Flood abilities should ramp up and become better as the round goes on. After a certain time frame or death count they gain something like speed boost, then after another set time frame get shields or damage boost. This way survivors have a bit of an easy start, but it gets much harder as time goes on and as the numbers grow. It also makes it so zombies are tough to start off as, but not difficult or impossible.

Nowise10

@heckfu's picture

Okay, I understand the balancing issues, but Flood are litterally overpowered beast.

Shields.
They can navigate an entire map in seconds using evade.
Their length they can lung you is about 2.5 the length of past energy sword zombies used to have. (Photo below shows the length a zombie can lunge at you, that is ridiculously large)

How about this, 343, out of those 3 traits, only choose 2 for the Flood to have, then maybe Ill enjoy? I cant really test these options out, all i can say right now it isn't working right. I've only gotten 16 kills with the pistol in total. I've gotten more with it in one game of Halo 3 or Reach zombies, then in Halo 4. Halo 4s pistol is utter garbage in Flood.

Im not saying flood should just be handing you the win, but at its current state, its damn near impossible for the human team to win. I've only done it once so far, and probably another 2 or 3 times when playing as the flood have the humans one, pretty sure back when you could cheat on Complex.

Top Bottom