• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Rev3rb

@heckfu

Okay, I understand the balancing issues, but Flood are litterally overpowered beast.

Shields.
They can navigate an entire map in seconds using evade.
Their length they can lung you is about 2.5 the length of past energy sword zombies used to have. (Photo below shows the length a zombie can lunge at you, that is ridiculously large)

How about this, 343, out of those 3 traits, only choose 2 for the Flood to have, then maybe Ill enjoy? I cant really test these options out, all i can say right now it isn't working right.

Im not saying flood should just be handing you the win, but at its current state, its damn near impossible for the human team to win. I've only done it once so far, and probably another 2 or 3 times when playing as the flod have the humans one, pretty sure back when you could cheat on Complex.

Heheh

Omni

So I went back to Reach... Namely the classic Anniversary playlist.

I honestly thought that I'd never say this... but it feels so much better than Halo 4. The UI is sooo good. I read people's complaints with the Halo 4 UI, but it wasn't until I went back to Reach that I really understood their concerns. It feels sooo responsive and clean. Wow.

Reach looks better visually too. At least in regards to multiplayer. And it was sooooo nice seeing the medals pop up in the corner and knowing what they actually meant.

Plus the gameplay was nice and clean and didn't frustrate me. Though admittedly that was just because of the playlist... but still. Think I'm going to be playing this for a while.

Nostalgia glasses: on

That's like every shooter campaign ever. What kind of varied objectives do you want to see?

Did you ever play Spec Ops in Modern Warfare 2? All of those missions had pretty unique objectives and different parameters for failure/success. It sure wasn't 25 missions of killing wave after wave of enemies and pressing a few buttons.

Nowise10

So im playing Spartan ops episode 1 chapter 3.

It turns out, when you race DeMarco, you are actually racing him and can loose. I honestly thought you always won.

Karl2177

Did you ever play Spec Ops in Modern Warfare 2? All of those missions had pretty unique objectives and different parameters for failure/success. It sure wasn't 25 missions of killing wave after wave of enemies and pressing a few buttons.

I agree with this so much. IMO the best part about MW2's Spec Ops was that certain missions were built around a certain style of play. Ex: you're given a silenced sniper rifle and a pistol in a snowy forest. You have two options: sneak around, sacrificing time for safety; or kill everyone sacrificing safety for time. I've never had anything like that in Halo 4's campaign or SpOps.

I did, and I loved it. Especially the missions where one player would provide air support while the other went on foot. Great stuff.

But the others were just about clearing the map of bad guys, holding a position against waves, and I remember some breaching.

RoKKeR

So I went back to Reach... Namely the classic Anniversary playlist.

I honestly thought that I'd never say this... but it feels so much better than Halo 4. The UI is sooo good. I read people's complaints with the Halo 4 UI, but it wasn't until I went back to Reach that I really understood their concerns. It feels sooo responsive and clean. Wow.

Reach looks better visually too. At least in regards to multiplayer. And it was sooooo nice seeing the medals pop up in the corner and knowing what they actually meant.

Plus the gameplay was nice and clean and didn't frustrate me. Though admittedly that was just because of the playlist... but still. Think I'm going to be playing this for a while.

Nostalgia glasses: on
Totally agreed on the UI front. Bungie were masterminds of UI, and Reach is a prime example. It's perfect, really. Going from that to what we got in Halo 4 was jarring and most certainly disappointing.

As far as gameplay goes, I do miss the classic, minimalistic side of Halo that has seemingly died out. We thought Reach was convoluted as hell, but take one look at 4 and Reach looks like CE in comparison. I think I prefer the base gameplay of 4 to Reach's, but Reach is most certainly more of a Halo game than H4 is.

zap

Yeah, they better or I'll just keep playing it and posting about it!

(it's good to be back)

Or else I play less and less.

I was playing Reach several times a week while busy at University/work etc. Halo 3 was the same for me.

I am currently on holiday and I have barely picked up Halo 4. It's an odd feeling to not want to play Halo anymore.

Reposting this from another thread. I would really like this to come true.

Halo 4 Extended Cut
Durango launch title
Include all DLC Map Packs
Include the entirety of Spartan Ops and the ability to play without Xbox Live
Extended Cutscenes and Levels and Dialogue to flesh out the story
Terminals included and viewable in-game
Campaign and Spartan Ops viewable in Theatre Mode
Classic Halo 3 Style Playlists
Include all missing Custom Settings
Clan Support
Delusional level x 1000 = Include Firefight with 4-5 Really Good Maps

Rev3rb

Halo 4 Extended Cut
Durango launch title
Clan Support

How 'bout Halo 5 instead?

Halo 4 Extended Cut
Durango launch title
Clan Support

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lITBGjNEp08

Edit: I wouldn't mind this actually if it was given as a free download and not like a GOTY edition sort of thing. But I doubt it will ever happen.

Holy shit who decided on those Forge pieces for the environment that Despair is built in. That takes ugly to a whole new level.
Feels like Metal Gear.

Im not saying flood should just be handing you the win, but at its current state, its damn near impossible for the human team to win.
I would say that's an improvement. Matches don't drag on with lopsided scores just because you got the shortest straw. And whoever thought shieldless zombies vs. pistols was good design back in the Halo 2 custom days should be forced to start as a zombie in such a mode for the rest of their playing life.

Madness

You want it in 10 months or 30 months?

If Halo 5 is anything like Halo 4, I'm buying a ps4. It's sad that Halo:CE made me go and get an Xbox right away, whereas the thought of Halo 5 being an extension of the changes from 4 means I'll buy another console instead.

Gears 1 is what pushed me to get a 360 and had it not been for all the money, time, accessories and other stuff I bought, I'd have moved onto the ps3.

Halo is the main reason people get an Xbox. It's the flagship title and it should be their main priority next gen.

Madness

Also Spartan Ops being loads better than Reach firefight? Disagree entirely.

Spartan Ops is a boring lag fest with zero tension. I don't know how people can say reach firefight was boring or easy. There's no challenge in spartan Ops. The enemy ai is also weak. In reach firefight, you couldn't really hide anywhere. Skirmishers would jump up, hunters and elites would chase you down. In spartan Ops, you can just leave the battle area and be fine. You have infinite lives, etc.

Sometimes when I was too frustrated with mp, I'd go and play a round of gruntpocalypse, arcade fight, fiestafight etc. Sometimes it would be exciting when you are by yourself and getting chased by a brute chieftain etc.

Also, i dont think I've played one match of Spartan Ops with someone else where it lagged. If I'm by myself I only play normal otherwise it's tedious and boring.

Ideally I wish Reach firefight was more like ODST firefight, but both are miles ahead of Spartan Ops. Also where are the water cooler moments? What are we supposed to talk about? How we kept dying and re spawning because 5 knights with incineration cannons spawned and we just kept throwing grenades till they died?

Spartan Ops is a one and done type mode. Whereas firefight had replayability.

Surprised to see that SecretSchnitzel got a map in matchmaking, didn't he get his map in Reach removed because of his... behavior?
It's a dumb reason to remove a map, regardless. The map was either a good addition to matchmaking or it wasn't, and it has nothing to do with the designer's actions beyond that point, unless it is being collaboratively iterated and there is a breakdown in cooperation. I suppose we don't know everything about what went down.

Also where are the water cooler moments? What are we supposed to talk about? How we kept dying and re spawning because 5 knights with incineration cannons spawned and we just kept throwing grenades till they died?
Haha. I think because of the packaging around Spartan Ops, it leads people to be far more critical about it as a whole. For example, take the all-Skirmisher type that came out in Reach where you just get obliterated if you stepped out into the map. If it was a piece in a larger story, you might be inclined to not finish it and write it off, especially if multiple pieces turned out poor or imbalanced.

When you set the stage for something ambitious like Spartan Ops, everything needs to be on point, but the mode feels riddled with both narrative and game design flaws. It just comes off as sloppy and amateur in some ways, and by comparison makes the Halo 4 campaign seem amazing.

It's a dumb reason to remove a map, regardless. The map was either a good addition to matchmaking or it wasn't, and it has nothing to do with the designer's actions beyond that point, unless it is being collaboratively iterated and there is a breakdown in cooperation. I suppose we don't know everything about what went down.

Agreed. Maps should be open source as it were.

Overdoziz

Banned
That's what I heard but I don't know the guy or what he did.
I don't know why exactly his map got pulled, but he's permabanned from THC, MLG and ForgeHub so I'd say that's a fairly good indicator of his behavior. It was sad to see Select getting removed though, it was one of the few good Forge maps outside MLG in Reach.

IHaveIce

Banned

Halo 4 Extended Cut
Durango launch title
Clan Support
Yeah sounds good.. too good, will it also be delivered by a hot chick who sucks me off?

Seriously I don't think that will happen
Surprised to see that SecretSchnitzel got a map in matchmaking, didn't he get his map in Reach removed because of his... behavior?

Wait.. honestly I don't know which map he had, but let's say he had a good map.. a really good map, but it gets removed just because he was an ass on a messageboard? Wat.

edit: Ok if he is banned from all these sites something may be wrong with him lol

Is a stable frame rate too much to expect in 2012?
This piece of hardware came out over 7 years ago.
Is there not enough experience yet? I just don't understand.

BTB in this game should just be called "Try to pick the correct random explosion that killed you this time all in picture slideshow format!"

@heckfu's picture

Okay, I understand the balancing issues, but Flood are litterally overpowered beast.

Shields.
They can navigate an entire map in seconds using evade.
Their length they can lung you is about 2.5 the length of past energy sword zombies used to have. (Photo below shows the length a zombie can lunge at you, that is ridiculously large)

How about this, 343, out of those 3 traits, only choose 2 for the Flood to have, then maybe Ill enjoy? I cant really test these options out, all i can say right now it isn't working right. I've only gotten 16 kills with the pistol in total. I've gotten more with it in one game of Halo 3 or Reach zombies, then in Halo 4. Halo 4s pistol is utter garbage in Flood.

Im not saying flood should just be handing you the win, but at its current state, its damn near impossible for the human team to win. I've only done it once so far, and probably another 2 or 3 times when playing as the flood have the humans one, pretty sure back when you could cheat on Complex.

This man speaks the truth!

Omni

So I'm playing a game of CTF and three of my team mates are AFK. I betray one with a sticky that landed near him, and he boots me.

Fuck me. Jeeez there are some assholes in this game. If you're not going to play, just leave. Egh

You said it yourself; the hardware is 7 years old. It's painfully outdated and can't keep up with the more performance hungry games.

Moa

Matchmaking update is out, if you want to download the new Spartan Ops, go to find a match in Spartan Ops Matchmaking and it will ask you to download it.

Matchmaking update is out, if you want to download the new Spartan Ops, go to find a match in Spartan Ops Matchmaking and it will ask you to download it.

What's this matchmaking update all about? I think I missed a link or earlier post about it or something.

Omni

Oooh. A bit earlier than usual, no?

But thanks. Downloading now.

You said it yourself; the hardware is 7 years old. It's painfully outdated and can't keep up with the more performance hungry games.

This is no excuse. If the system cant handle it you update the graphics less intensely. CoD does it right.

You don't bite more than you can chew. That's just common sense.

I would like to play with some of you guys. I don't talk much, I do have a headset. I guess I'm average? I haven't played too much, but if anyone wants to add me send me a friend request. GT: Spaaaaaaaaace (9 a's)

GrizzNKev

Banned
Reposting what I said in the Halo 4 story thread in case anyone wants to discuss it.

In response to the Librarian gene song scene:

I think you're sort of missing the point as to why so many fans of the lore take issue with that scene over others.

It's the implications on the Master Chief as a character, the existence of Cortana, and all of their accomplishments.

John is set up very thoroughly in the novel The Fall of Reach, as well as the game Halo 3, as a man who has faced and overcome an incredible amount of hardship to become a shining beacon, a hero of humanity. Kidnapped as a child, put through impossibly rigorous training, barely surviving experimental augmentations - these were the cause - and winning the toughest battles, stopping multiple Halos, severing the head of the Covenant and ending the war - effects. Cortana as his partner describes him as special. Not the fastest or strongest, but the luckiest. Always pulling through adversity against all odds. This defined his character and created someone who players could place themselves in the shoes of. Someone more believable and likable, even if the slightest more human just because he wasn't truly the best at anything.

The concept of predestination introduced by Halo 4 directly conflict with 343's attempt at exploring the humanity of tue Chief, and the potential of Cortana's humanity. What significance do their choices hold, what characteristics make them human or human-like, how could they ever be related to if all they do is an eventuality rather than luck created by free will? I feel my desire to be the Chief fade because to me, that is no longer a human characteristic, but instead a mechanic to progress the story and facilitate things not conceived by the minds who originally brought him to life.

Hopefully you don't turn around and dismiss my feelings as nitpicking, because I know I'm not alone in this sentiment. What exactly he was predestined to do doesn't matter, because any predestination removes the feeling that he or Cortana have earned anything they had done in the greater context of the universe.

Top Bottom