• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Booties

Banned
Don't just take notes, hire the people that made the game.

What happened to the people who made sanctuary, midship, and lockout? Were they with Bungie during halo 3 and reach? Did they just get new jobs? They made so many good maps at launch that it couldn't be a fluke. Where did these people go!

Korosenai

Halo 3 Kill times are best Kill times.

In fact, Halo 3 is the best halo period. Whoa calm it CE bros and H2 nerds I know you are going to argue that either of those games are better but face it. Halo 3 was the pinnacle of what made Halo great without all the garbage those 2 games had being in the way. It had better balance than Halo CE and a more well rounded and useful sandbox and less glitches than Halo 2.

Equipment was better than AA's hands down and loadouts suck. Halo 3, Team Slayer, The Pit ALL DAY EVERY DAY.
Halo 3 is my favorite Halo.

JHall

What happened to the people who made sanctuary, midship, and lockout? Were they with Bungie during halo 3 and reach? Did they just get new jobs? They made so many good maps at launch that it couldn't be a fluke. Where did these people go!

They moved them all to the Destiny development team.

For anyone wondering The key element in that Image is the Mantis In Halo CE

VISR 2.0 has been implemented for quiet a while and has a variate of settings available from full colored objects to just colored outlines.

CMT have built a Mantis that acts as a Biped and can have AI control. The first example of this is when you secure the Gravity Lift to board the Truth and Reconciliation in Halo CE you are given a mantis to secure it with.

They believe not only will this provide a fun gameplay encounter but it makes sense for the ship to stop sending troops down if you have a mantis to obliterate them with.

Alchemical

Neo Member
Pretty much every weapon had fast kill times in CE. The important distinction is that the average kill times were more than double the fastest possible kill time with the skill-based weapons.

Totally this. A great many Halo players still appear to be oblivious to this fact.

h2ce.jpg

This sounds like my favourite Halo.

Oh look Alchemical, another one of my faves. Today's a good day for CE posters :]

The quality of Halo 2 maps........... SO GOOD! Imagine putting Halo 2's maps in Halo 1's game mechanics with some of the newer weapons like the Grenade Launcher?

Booties

Banned
Oh look Alchemical, another one of my faves. Today's a good day for CE posters :]

The quality of Halo 2 maps........... SO GOOD! Imagine putting Halo 2's maps in Halo 1's game mechanics with some of the newer weapons like the Grenade Launcher?

I'd rather just have them make all the maps for current and future halo games instead of imagining.

Fuchsdh

I'd rather just have them make all the maps for current and future halo games instead of imagining.
As long as you bundled more maps in for the same price I don't doubt a wider collection of remakes would be popular. Then again that might be Halo 2 Anniversary's component like CEA.

Booties

Banned
As long as you bundled more maps in for the same price I don't doubt a wider collection of remakes would be popular. Then again that might be Halo 2 Anniversary's component like CEA.

I didn't mean remakes. I meant get the people who consistently made good maps in the past back on board.

I would have preferred a VISR 2.0 to pro vision.
A persistent ability to see through walls was a horrible design choice. VISR would be a better overall decision, adding the ability to mark enemy teammates for about 10 seconds would make it more worthwhile on the battlefield.

Booties

Banned
A persistent ability to see through walls was a horrible design choice. VISR would be a better overall decision, adding the ability to mark enemy teammates for about 10 seconds would make it more worthwhile on the battlefield.

I don't know how well a marking system would work. It was nice in CoD because of the mini-map and temporary radar positioning, but halo has a radar with vertical arrows as well. Marking was really cumbersome in Deus Ex 2. I think it's not viable with halo.

VISR is much better and makes a lot more sense. People would still hate it in MM, but not to the extent that pro vision gets trashed.

versa7il

Sprint happened. I refuse to believe the people in charge of designing the maps suddenly got bad and cant design a decent map anymore. They now have to take in account a shit ton of variables with the AAs while designing them.

Fuchsdh

I didn't mean remakes. I meant get the people who consistently made good maps in the past back on board.
Ah, my bad. Who knows? It's still a job for people--they move, get married, find other fields to work in, get pushed out or cut.

I do think the point about sprint makes sense though. While I like sprint, designing for AAs is more difficult than without and can cause more potential problems with design (at least jet pack and sprint do.)

TheOddOne

You know what's hilarious? I kind of wish they followed this way of thinking and actually borrowed the one feature that makes CoD CoD: the kill times.

Go to any CoD player and ask them why they don't like Halo. You'll get something along the lines of "It takes forever to kill someone in Halo."

Halo started off with fast kill times and subsequently increased it by 2.5x with Halo 2. Fast kill times, when paired with low aim assist and fast movement, raise the skill gap tremendously. It's probably my #1 most wanted feature in Halo and has been sorely missed since CE.

Instead, 343 borrows nearly every aspect from CoD EXCEPT fast kill times. And what's worse is they had the BR and DMR at 4 shot kills at one point in the development. It is literally maddening.
I hate everything about this post.

orznge

Banned
You know what's hilarious? I kind of wish they followed this way of thinking and actually borrowed the one feature that makes CoD CoD: the kill times.

Go to any CoD player and ask them why they don't like Halo. You'll get something along the lines of "It takes forever to kill someone in Halo."

Halo started off with fast kill times and subsequently increased it by 2.5x with Halo 2. Fast kill times, when paired with low aim assist and fast movement, raise the skill gap tremendously. It's probably my #1 most wanted feature in Halo and has been sorely missed since CE.

Instead, 343 borrows nearly every aspect from CoD EXCEPT fast kill times. And what's worse is they had the BR and DMR at 4 shot kills at one point in the development. It is literally maddening.

lol yeah

I don't know how well a marking system would work. It was nice in CoD because of the mini-map and temporary radar positioning, but halo has a radar with vertical arrows as well. Marking was really cumbersome in Deus Ex 2. I think it's not viable with halo.

VISR is much better and makes a lot more sense. People would still hate it in MM, but not to the extent that pro vision gets trashed.
I'm sure you're right. My only experience with enemy marking was in Gears, where I thought it worked well. Of course the two games are wildly different, but something like that would still be preferable to the shit that is Prom Vision.

The Halo radar is just too much in its current state; it needs to just go back to being a motion tracker and stop cramming so much information into that little circle. The inert vehicles, Global Ordnance indicators, and height indication need to go.

Really cutting it close, but does anyone have time to play a few rounds with me on my map? Deadline is 12:00 PM PST. Thanks!

GT: DI Exero

orznge

Banned
You hate that the BR and DMR were once 4sk at one point in H4's development and were then nerfed to 5sk? Me too.

I'll take your word for it.

it's not worth ripping your H2 and blah blah blah when CE exists but yeah you know what I mean

It goes Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3.

The only reason its 2 over CE is because of Xbox Live and custom features.

I strongly believe people who say Halo 3 is the best, played their first Halo game when 3 came out.

Madness

I'm sure you're right. My only experience with enemy marking was in Gears, where I thought it worked well. Of course the two games are wildly different, but something like that would still be preferable to the shit that is Prom Vision.

The Halo radar is just too much in its current state; it needs to just go back to being a motion tracker and stop cramming so much information into that little circle. The inert vehicles, Global Ordnance indicators, and height indication need to go.

I actually liked the Reach height indicators, but I agree. The range needs to be reduced.

While people like the Call of Duty fire and show up on radar I think it's poor. You could bring up the map and literally see exactly where the shot came from.

If we take into account a spartan helmet, he should only see what is in his field of view and this should be shared with his teammates much like spotting. So if you are in the open, you show up on radar and for the rest of the team. You shouldn't show up on radar if you are not firing, just walking and no one can see you.

I don't know, some people get paralyzed with no radar at all, I think they could handle a modified radar where the onus is on you to be aware of your surroundings instead of just turtling and hiding because a red dot showed up somewhere. It's hard to explain what I mean.

Duji

No, I rather not have the whole game become SWAT. No, thank you.
Don't respond to me if you have no clue what I'm even arguing for.

I've already explained 1000 times how fast kill times doesn't create SWAT-like gameplay, but you guys keep repeating the same old shit. Literally zero effort to try to understand what I'm saying. I fucking hate SWAT.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Don't respond to me if you have no clue what I'm even arguing for.

I've already explained 1000 times how fast kill times doesn't create SWAT-like gameplay, but you guys keep repeating the same old shit. Literally zero effort to try to understand what I'm saying. I fucking hate SWAT.

How could you hate SWAT if you loved Halo CE though?

Booties

Banned

Yeah, it's too much. Maybe it shouldn't be continuous. Why can't they take the good stuff from CoD and put it in halo instead of all the stupid bullshit nobody wants?

Duji

How could you hate SWAT if you loved Halo CE though?

How the hell is CE anything like SWAT?

CE has faster movement than any recent SWAT iteration, incentive to move around the map due to power weapons and power ups, as well as a chance to turn around and fight back if someone head-shots you with the utility weapon. The two are not even close to being the same. SWAT is a campy, who-sees-who first snoozefest.

Toa TAK

Banned
I strongly believe people who say Halo 3 is the best, played their first Halo game when 3 came out.
Maybe. My first was Halo CE then 2, then 3.

But I love 3 because of the additions of Forge, Theater (and including screenshots and clips), and the custom game options. Those were more than enough to keep people in the already great multiplayer mode the game had. So I can see why some people would choose 3 above others.

Fracas

#fuckonami
It goes Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3.

The only reason its 2 over CE is because of Xbox Live and custom features.

Spoiler alert:
you're wrong
or at least for the last part
Edit: give me an hour aggro

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
How the hell is CE anything like SWAT?

CE has faster movement than any recent SWAT iteration, incentive to move around the map due to power weapons and power ups, as well as a chance to turn around and fight back if someone head-shots you with the utility weapon. The two are not even close to being the same. SWAT is a campy, who-sees-who first snoozefest.

What?! They're essentially the same thing. Why do you think people made SWAT in the first place back in Halo 2? They did it to make the game play like CE. This is so obvious. SWAT is a single gun, super fast kill time, spawn killing fest just like CE. LOL so obvious.

TCKaos

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8227/8515060931_4a2496f613_b.jpg[img]

Look what CMT (the halo mod team) are working on.

Cool shit[/QUOTE]

Also [url=http://forum.halomaps.org/index.cfm?page=topic&topicID=41826]this[/url]:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/pZqKC8S.jpg

Yes, and no compelling reasons were given.

wut.

You just compared CE to SWAT and are serious about it. On a forum of pretty intelligent people ignorance like this is always shocking. Not insulting you guys, but seriously you don't know what the heck you're talking about lol

What?! They're essentially the same thing. Why do you think people made SWAT in the first place back in Halo 2? They did it to make the game play like CE. This is so obvious. SWAT is a single gun, super fast kill time, spawn killing fest just like CE. LOL so obvious.

LOL had me for a second! fffffffffff

m0nkey, this is INCREDIBLE! Seriously fun for all ages lmfao

TheOddOne

wut.

You just compared CE to SWAT and are serious about it. On a forum of pretty intelligent people ignorance like this is always shocking. Not insulting you guys, but seriously you don't know what the heck you're talking about lol
What the actual fuck are you babbling about. Take your own advice and read back on what I said instead of putting words in my mouth.

I do not want shorter kill times. Period.

Top Bottom