• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
wut.

You just compared CE to SWAT and are serious about it. On a forum of pretty intelligent people ignorance like this is always shocking. Not insulting you guys, but seriously you don't know what the heck you're talking about lol

LOL had me for a second! fffffffffff

m0nkey, this is INCREDIBLE!

???

I also find it hilarious that CE had Instant Respawn options and now that we finally get this legacy feature in Halo 4 after so many years, everyone is complaining about how they don't like Instant Respawn. LOL what kind of Halo fans are you people?

And a single fuck was given.

???

I also find it hilarious that CE had Instant Respawn options and now that we finally get this legacy feature in Halo 4 after so many years, everyone is complaining about how they don't like Instant Respawn. LOL what kind of Halo fans are you people?

People were complaining about it in MM and no options for Custom Games. Halo 1 was played with 3-5 second respawn even though yes, instant respawn was an option. Still not sure if srs..

Also this:
pZqKC8S.jpg

nice,i wish that is how the BR looked in Halo 4.

SWAT sucks, just putting that out there

I only play it when I want to relax while playing Halo because it doesn't require much thought rather than map knowledge. No matter what, I'm always going to be pressured to win in playlists like Throwdown and concentrating on weapons spawn timers and spawn positioning.

In SWAT, you just run around while holding your DMR/BR at head level and you'll do a pretty good job.

"Hey HollovVshit don't jump in the middle of them they get extra points for killing you [the king] fucking dipshit"
"- Relax I'm trying to get AR kills"
"Fuck you"
"- Hmm oke, BEAST MODE!!"

*king joust* *double kill**triple kill**king joust**killing spree**double kill**king joust**king joust*double kill**killing frenzy*

*Game, Over*

".... hacker"

<3 Halo 4

It goes Halo 2 > Halo CE > Halo 3.

The only reason its 2 over CE is because of Xbox Live and custom features.

I strongly believe people who say Halo 3 is the best, played their first Halo game when 3 came out.

Halo 3 was the first game I had Live with but I played Halo 2 system link as often as I could. For me and my friends, Halo 3 seemed to expand on all the right things.

My list goes 3>2>CE but I'm willing to concede that my reasoning is largely because of how my 'wants' in a game shifted as I grew up and got better at the game.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
People were complaining about it in MM and no options for Custom Games. Halo 1 was played with 3-5 second respawn even though yes, instant respawn was an option. Still not sure if srs..

Well yea people will always complain about the lack of options but the main complaints about Instant Respawn in Halo 4 are about how it doesn't feel like Halo and how it feels like CoD now. There are no doubt a lot of people who played CE with Instant Respawn.

Hey, I agree with that list!

Sarcasm?

Halo 3 was the first game I had Live with but I played Halo 2 system link as often as I could. For me and my friends, Halo 3 seemed to expand on all the right things.

My list goes 3>2>CE but I'm willing to concede that my reasoning is largely because of how my 'wants' in a game shifted as I grew up and got better at the game.

Thats a great point. Started playing CE, as fun as system link was, getting live and being able to play different people every game was amazing at the time (never a PC gamer) So halo 2 was my first big multiplayer shooter online i guess. Probably why i still hold it so high today.

Xbox had planned for Live from the start, it really is a shame Live wasnt rolled out from day 1. Imagine CE had live built in? It really wouldve been the best Halo ever.

Duji

Yes, and no compelling reasons were given.

OddOne, I am disappoint.

No compelling reasons were given? Are you joking?

You have yet to even attempt to break down my arguments and thus have absolutely no credibility at this point. Again, movement speed and aim assist need to be finely balanced with fast kill times otherwise you get SWAT. It is completely nonsensical to argue that no adjustments of those two things will make a fast kill time game less like SWAT.

Here's a challenge for you: 1v1 in me SWAT with the movement speed at 150% AND on the same team as me. Then, I want you to repeat what you just said about how increasing the movement speed and lowering the aim assist are still not "compelling enough reasons" for you to believe the game won't be just like SWAT.

And for the record, no, I don't want a Halo game with 0 aim assist and instant kill times, lol.

What?! They're essentially the same thing. Why do you think people made SWAT in the first place back in Halo 2? They did it to make the game play like CE. This is so obvious. SWAT is a single gun, super fast kill time, spawn killing fest just like CE. LOL so obvious.

Tashi... really man?

Let me break this down further for you.

Minimum kill times with the utility weapons:
CE: 0.6 seconds
SWAT: 0.0 seconds (INSTANT)

Movement speed:
CE: Fast
SWAT (H2, H3, HR, H4): Slightly slower in H2, considerably slower for everything else

Average kill times:
CE: Between 3-6 shots?
SWAT: Between 1-3 shots?

Aim assist/bullet magnetism
CE: Less
SWAT: More bullet magnetism for all Halos after CE. Aim assist varies, but bullet magnetism is arguably more important.

Incentive to move around the map:
CE: Power weapons, power ups, controlling power positions
SWAT: Power positions (therefore there is absolutely no reason to move from the power position once acquired)

CE =/= Swat. Not even close my friend. Your point that SWAT was made to recreate CE doesn't mean anything. Halo Reach Anniversary multiplayer was made to recreate CE. Did it do that? Hell no. It had wonky movement, the magnum had bloom, the jump height was messed, etc.

Striker

I still don't get where people find humor in fake trolling.

Expand on what, exactly? Slower base speed, weaker primary rifle, melee strength increased, and weapons weren't in any way better except the Shotgun. Just curious what you felt got improved in terms of the general gameplay, vehicles, or gametypes.

Booshka

OddOne, I am disappoint.

You have yet to even attempt to break down my arguments and thus have absolutely no credibility at this point. Again, movement speed and aim assist need to be finely balanced with fast kill times otherwise you get SWAT. It is completely nonsensical to argue that no adjustments of those two things will make a fast kill time game less like SWAT.

Here's a challenge for you: 1v1 in me SWAT with the movement speed at 150% AND on the same team as me. Then, I want you to repeat what you just said about how increasing the movement speed and lowering the aim assist are still not "compelling enough reasons" for you to believe the game won't be just like SWAT.

And for the record, no, I don't want a Halo game with 0 aim assist and instant kill times, lol.

Tashi... really man?

Movement speed:
SWAT (H2, H3, HR, H4): Slightly slower in H2, considerably slower for everything else

Average kill times:

SWAT: More bullet magnetism for all Halos after CE. Aim assist varies, but bullet magnetism is arguably more important.

SWAT: Power positions (therefore there is absolutely no reason to move from the power position once acquired)

CE =/= Swat. Not even close my friend. Your point that SWAT was made to recreate CE doesn't mean anything. Halo Reach Anniversary multiplayer was made to recreate CE. Did it do that? Hell no. It had wonky movement, the magnum had bloom, the jump height was messed, etc.
Tashi's trolling bro.

Sarcasm?

Thats a great point. Started playing CE, as fun as system link was, getting live and being able to play different people every game was amazing at the time (never a PC gamer) So halo 2 was my first big multiplayer shooter online i guess. Probably why i still hold it so high today.

Xbox had planned for Live from the start, it really is a shame Live wasnt rolled out from day 1. Imagine CE had live built in? It really wouldve been the best Halo ever.

I guess you could surmise that generally the game you start playing competitively in some regard is the one you'd hold in the highest regard. I'd play system link but the competitive nature was somewhat limited playing the same friends over and over. Going Live with 3 was actually a really awesome memory I have. I distinctly remember thinking that Krow and I were the best out of the system link group we had. Wondering how we stacked up against the rest of the world was such a cool feeling.

Booties

Banned
OddOne, I am disappoint.

Tashi... really man?

Movement speed:

Average kill times:

Even less shots in halo 4 because melee is a 1sk

TheOddOne

OddOne, I am disappoint.

Sorry, I did not mean to offend you and was never my intention. I still don’t feel like that “shorter” killtimes will benefit the game overall, it is just too chaotic already now to implement it. It will be more in line with SWAT, not completely might I add, but it would be more akin to that mode. Take into account the sandbox changes and it still would not make much sense. To each it’s own though, still think it’s a bad idea.

Booshka

You guys missed out if you didn't enjoy Pre-Halo 2 XBL, so much fun. Tons of different games to play, and a more mature player base for the most part. After H2, almost everyone was playing that, so the variety died down, and the kiddies came to play.

I guess you could surmise that generally the game you start playing competitively in some regard is the one you'd hold in the highest regard. I'd play system link but the competitive nature was somewhat limited playing the same friends over and over. Going Live with 3 was actually a really awesome memory I have. I distinctly remember thinking that Krow and I were the best out of the system link group we had. Wondering how we stacked up against the rest of the world was such a cool feeling.

Exactly. I still remember my first online game of Halo 2, FFA on Ivory Tower. Playing with people i didnt know, always thinking i was among the best of the group I played system Link with. Then realising I wasnt actually good at all merely average at best. Gave me the push to want to be better.

That first match, right away thinking Id dominate, then How good am i really? Then realising i had some work to do haha...

Maybe you should stop trying to play the victim. If you can't even follow your own rules, then please don't lecture me on them. Thanks.

Wow that really offended you didn't it? lol, There's no point in continuing that discussion in here with you because you're obviously a bright dude but you still think that way, so.. PM if you want. <3

Well yea people will always complain about the lack of options but the main complaints about Instant Respawn in Halo 4 are about how it doesn't feel like Halo and how it feels like CoD now. There are no doubt a lot of people who played CE with Instant Respawn.

Don't you halfass troll us with your halftruths! For the sake of fun, allow me to counter that since I'm sure some people probably feel that way. Your interpretation of that and my interpretation of that situation are different. I just see that as people being ignorant on how they're complaining.

And for the record, instant respawn in Halo 1 is a 3 second respawn so you can't spawn instantly by pressing X like in Halo 4. It's not really instant at all, it's just LABELED as such! IMPROPER LABELING IS IMPROPER!

I still don't get where people find humor in fake trolling.

Expand on what, exactly? Slower base speed, weaker primary rifle, melee strength increased, and weapons weren't in any way better except the Shotgun. Just curious what you felt got improved in terms of the general gameplay, vehicles, or gametypes.

Don't get me wrong, I see those things now. Back then, I really wasn't into the nitty, gritty gameplay details. It was, admittedly, the campaign (with the Scarab battles and big set pieces), the ability to customise your Spartan and the way the graphics and UI flowed. The weapon sandbox seemed pretty cool too.

Like I said, I had a different mindset back then.

You guys missed out if you didn't enjoy Pre-Halo 2 XBL, so much fun. Tons of different games to play, and a more mature player base for the most part. After H2, almost everyone was playing that, so the variety died down, and the kiddies came to play.

I remember playing Rainbow Six alot, no kids in sight and some great games were had.

After Halo 2 there was a Counter Strike port that was a lot of fun. Again a more mature fan base so met some good people while me and my friends played that together.

heckfu

Banned
And for the record, instant respawn in Halo 1 is a 3 second respawn so you can't spawn instantly by pressing X like in Halo 4. It's not really instant at all, it's just LABELED as such! IMPROPER LABELING IS IMPROPER!

Back in MY day we had to wait three seconds to instant respawn! -Grandpa Halo

TheOddOne

Wow that really offended you didn't it? lol, There's no point in continuing that discussion in here with you because you're obviously a bright dude but you still think that way, so.. PM if you want. <3
Thanks for being condensing and not actually trying to disprove my point or rationally reply. Yeah, no thanks I'm not going to put in more effort.

BigShow36

I don't know what to believe on here anymore. On one hand, some people really don't know what they're talking about. On the other hand, some posts are so dumb it has to be sarcasm. I just can't tell.

Duji

lol sorry I was bored. Didn't mean to pick on anyone, just on whoever bit. :p
Oh go to hell, you. -_-

Sorry, I did not mean to offend you and was never my intention. I still don’t feel like that “shorter” killtimes will benefit the game overall, it is just too chaotic already now to implement it. It will be more in line with SWAT, not completely might I add, but it would be more akin to that mode. Take into account the sandbox changes and it still would not make much sense. To each it’s own though, still think it’s a bad idea.

If we were to take Halo 4 and lower the kill time without changing anything else, that would be stupid as hell and I wouldn't want to play that either. There were a group of guys who made a 4sk ZB DMR gametype in Reach called GoldPro and there was much fuss over it as the first shot became such a massive factor -- the game became MORE like SWAT. No adjustment to movement speed made the gametype viable as the strafe would get worse with faster movement speed, and there were absolutely no aim assist options to tinker with.

You keep saying that any reduction to kill time -- despite any other adjustment to the gameplay mechanics -- will be more similar to SWAT but you haven't come up with a single argument backing this up. =/. The example I detailed above (1v1 SWAT, same team, 150% speed) is more unlike SWAT than vanilla H4 is. Think about that.

I thought TheOddOne, HaloGAF's K/D god, would be all for a faster-paced, higher skill-gap game so that he may dong even more. Weird.

Thanks for being condensing and not actually trying to disprove my point or rationally reply. Yeah, no thanks I'm not going to put in more effort.

Seriously, my bad. I still wub you tho <3 and the reason I said there's no point in ME discussing it with you because a lot of the things I'd say was already laid out by Duji.

HA yeah right and then scrubs like Red Alert (Shockwave), Defy, T2 and Gandhi were "GODLIKE" in H2+ because of how much easier it was. Used to poop on them nerds all day errday with mah dude MonGo.

typing light-heartedly btw so pls no cereal

Back in MY day we had to wait three seconds to instant respawn! -Grandpa Halo

LOL Grandpa Halo should be a meme. If there's one thing I might consider changing in retrospect is taking more time to attend national tournaments. I was just too invested with school, baseball and my personal life that I couldn't put the focus/resources into traveling for Halo events ;'[

TheOddOne

I thought TheOddOne, HaloGAF's K/D god, would be all for a faster-paced, higher skill-gap game so that he may dong even more. Weird.
You made me laugh :D

Overall, the ideas your present would work better in Halo 3's sandbox. Makes more sense in that game, but Halo 4 feels tricky with all the mods and "new" systems in place. It's already a mess now, too much chaos and too many variables that ruin the experience. I could be totally wrong, but those ideas would work with a very re-worked Halo 4 base game, not with the base game we got now.

Homeboyd

same monthly challenge again in halo 4. awesome.
Goodness. Challenge system in h4 is a massive step back from reach. Not one interesting challenge so far and it seems like they pull from a very limited pool... Has this been the same monthly since launch?

Reach's system had me playing/replaying a ton of missions, MM playlists, etc.. just for fun. I haven't actually gone for a challenge but maybe 2-3 times in 4. It is really, really bad.

: /

heckfu

Banned
LOL Grandpa Halo should be a meme. If there's one thing I might consider changing in retrospect is taking more time to attend national tournaments. I was just too invested with school, baseball and my personal life that I couldn't put the focus/resources into traveling for Halo events ;'[

When I was your age the assault rifle didn't work and we dealt with it! -Grandpa Halo

you and I are the same age!

Duji

You made me laugh :D

Overall, the ideas your present would work better in Halo 3's sandbox. Makes more sense in that game, but Halo 4 feels tricky with all the mods and "new" systems in place. It's already a mess now, too much chaos and too many variables that ruin the experience. I could be totally wrong, but those ideas would work with a very re-worked Halo 4 base game, not with the base game we got now.

Oh yea, definitely. You would have to overhaul the entire game to make room for CE-like kill times. Halo 3 would need an overhaul as well, but less of one. We're talking about changes to jump height, reload time, clip size, aim assist, bullet magnetism, movement speed, movement inertia, grenade toss time, etc. This can all be done while maintaining Halo's foundations: no who sees who first, golden triangle, accurate hip fire weapons, power weapons and power ups, and all that good stuff. :)

Goodness. Challenge system in h4 is a massive step back from reach. Not one interesting challenge so far and it seems like they pull from a very limited pool... Has this been the same monthly since launch?

Reach's system had me playing/replaying a ton of missions, MM playlists, etc.. just for fun. I haven't actually gone for a challenge but maybe 2-3 times in 4. It is really, really bad.

: /
A shame. They could not try a monthly like "get 2,000 kills this month" or something like that? What is the deal with the Waypoint challenge anyway?

I'll be home around 5:30/6 CST (2.5-3 hours or so).

EDIT: At least the challenges are giving out worthwhile credit amounts now. 30K is much better than 4K.
Did the monthly ever give out 4k? I thought it was already around 10k-40k.

Havok

Has this been the same monthly since launch?
Yes. It was funny, now it's just sad. Campaign challenges appear to be starting another of the same boring loop through each mission that they've been on since launch as well. Separating out challenges into subsections has really hurt them, as it's obvious that the pool for each is really lacking in both quality and quantity of challenges.

Top Bottom