• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Sup, guys? Haven't been on Gaf in about 2 months. Looks like usual HaloGaf shenanigans are still going on lol.

Majestic is awesome, Halo 4 isn't. How does this work?

Soldier Helmet by "Impact Props"
181059_357336487714649_291096084_n.jpg

If you had any sort of dignity, you wouldn't even consider touching an AR

Everytime I pick one up my accident, I commit suicide

It's a way to challenge myself. I've completed the BR, DMR, Pistol and Grenade materity challenges, only AR left. I like doing stuff like that.

Zoolader

Nice to see HaloGAF submitting maps for the contest. I'll be testing maps this weekend for sure.

You aren't talking about the FFA one that ended today are you? I had my map as done as it could be but never got to playtest it. Never ended up submitting it either, even though I don't think my map was eligible anyways since it had a similar layout and some features very reminiscent to High Ground. I know there was another contest going on but can't remember where it was or what kinda maps it was for. It would have been nice if the FFA contest wasn't cut off so short, I don't expect any maps submitted to be any good with the amount of time given. Unless somebody had a map they were already working on before the contest, which was probably restricted due to to some BS contest rules (just a guess). If we don't end up getting a nice new FFA map in matchmaking, I believe 343 wasted an important opportunity to add more small maps to Halo 4. Wow somebody is going to win the new map pack, like the rest of us actually care. Instead of doing something nice for 1 person they could have made Halo 4 better for everybody.

I don't feel like arguing with anybody, I just wanted to vent since I spent so much time on my map and didn't get it submitted. I'm down for testing maps or whatever this weekend, and would be very happy if I could finally get some of gaf to play on my map.

Zoolader

Also wanted to say it's my very good friend's bachelor party tonight. We plan on starting it off with Halo customs of course! This group of friends have been playing Halo games together just about every weekend prior to Reach releasing... will remember you Reach, asshole! Anyways they decided they want to go to the strip club after. Great transition right? But ya I'm currently jobless, and part of me thinks it's better for me to save my money. It's $20 just to enter the door. But then again these are Halo bros and bachelor parties are suppose to be special right? Advice from a more financially reasonable person of Halo GAF?

Does anybody have links to good Halo 4 remake maps? Lockout and such? Would be nice for customs if we even play Halo 4.

Booties

Banned
Also wanted to say it's my very good friend's bachelor party tonight. We plan on starting it off with Halo customs of course! This group of friends have been playing Halo games together just about every weekend prior to Reach releasing... will remember you Reach, asshole! Anyways they decided they want to go to the strip club after. Great transition right? But ya I'm currently jobless, and part of me thinks it's better for me to save my money. It's $20 just to enter the door. But then again these are Halo bros and bachelor parties are suppose to be special right? Advice from a more financially reasonable person of Halo GAF?

Does anybody have links to good Halo 4 remake maps? Lockout and such? Would be nice for customs if we even play Halo 4.

As a financially reasonable person, you should go
Find a job instead of forging maps. Zing!

Booshka

It's $20 to get in, but you'll get some dirty looks if you don't spend any money in the club, if you can just blend in with your friends and avoid spending too much, go. If you feel comfortable with it, ask one or more of your friends to loan you some cash. Also, play it up that you will be the designated driver (even if you aren't) so you don't waste your money on alcoholic drinks and the bartenders/waitresses don't give you shit for it.

heckfu

Banned
It's $20 to get in, but you'll get some dirty looks if you don't spend any money in the club, if you can just blend in with your friends and avoid spending too much, go. If you feel comfortable with it, ask one or more of your friends to loan you some cash. Also, play it up that you will be the designated driver (even if you aren't) so you don't waste your money on alcoholic drinks and the bartenders/waitresses don't give you shit for it.

^ Sage advice.

Ghazi

This is...actually really good advice.

Zoolader

As a financially reasonable person, you should go
Find a job instead of forging maps. Zing!

Haha good point, I can multitask though! Had a fourth and final interview today with Verizon, and my Capital one application is pending. I'm shocked at the hiring process for customer call services, yet they are all still mostly horrible. Hopefully I hear back soon from them. I hate waiting for these types of results.

Damn what's the best lockout remake for Halo 4? QUICK SOMEBODY! I need to start packing tv's and consoles.

Ya I've been told by an ugly stripper before with no crowd around that I cant sit at the stage if I'm not giving her money... I had already given her like 5 bucks and wasn't even looking at her. Same place I'm going tonight. I know already it would be a bit more than just the $20 entrance fee. Gotta have singles for the stage, $20 or $40 for a lapdance (it's been a while), and a friend suggested we would all chip in $10 for the Bachelor to get on stage with the girls. I don't want to ask for money if I don't actually NEED it, I have a few hundred in the bank and should be getting my tax returns soon from this year and the previous year.

TheOddOne

Unlock In-Game Halo 4 Bonuses To Celebrate Release of Halo: Silentium
The third book of Greg Bear’s enigmatic Forerunner Saga is coming soon, and 343 Industries is offering XP to those willing to do some decryption.

Greg Bear’s Halo: Cryptum and Halo: Primordium stand apart within the expanded universe of Halo fiction. Unlike most comic books and novels within the setting, The Forerunner Saga leaps 100,000 years back in time to detail the final days of the mysterious Forerunner civilization. Filled with unusual technology and hard science fiction tropes, the novels challenge readers to think outside their normal boundaries, and grasp ideas like genetically transferred memories, artificial intelligence, and forced species evolution.

The third book of the series, Halo: Silentium, is targeting release on March 19th. Publisher Tor and developer 343 Industries have teamed up to help hype the release. Starting today, gamers (and readers) can head to Halo Waypoint to try and track down “encrypted communications” via bulletins and forums on the site. In addition, the actual book of Halo: Silentium will have embedded data within the text of the e-book and paperback editions that presumably also unlocks additional content.
Dani, save us.

People don't bitch because they hate, people bitch because they want to see it be as good as it can possibly be. This is the fundamental disconnect between some parts of HaloGAF and others. You could chalk it up to insanity, but the reason people spend ages writing lengthy posts about every aspect of the game for years isn't because people don't give a shit about or hate Halo. The latter have already left Halo 4. They're gone. They were gone the day Blops 2 was released. Juices touches on this a lot: what's frustrating is that those of us who are left, the people who play or played Halo every day for a long, long time, get resolutely ignored and crapped on over and over for no reason whatsoever. There's never an olive branch extended, recognition of problems, or a mea culpa. The closest we get is something like Frankie's letter which basically patted the entire team on the back for working hard and told the community "we'll do better next time!". Bullshit. It's 2013 yet we're still praying that the dice roll lands on a decent matchmaking update once a month in the bulletin. There's still no transparency. There's nothing. Waypoint is perpetually half-finished. The person whose full-time job it is to be Community Manager never leaves 343's message boards. At first I was stunned that 343 would remove a beloved playlist like SS while retaining TU BETA SLAYER, but now I see that was just a sign of the general disdain and incompetence towards the community to come. To people like High Speed Halo, I am sorry that 343 considers elements of the game that are the cornerstone of your community, the life-blood of your group of Halo friends, to be just another boring old unimportant checkbox that they can axe. I say that not because I mean jack shit, but because you certainly won't hear it from 343.

And it's hard for me to see where it all went wrong. David and Frankie clearly care about the series and love traditional Halo. The engineering team at 343 did pretty well with the visuals and netcode. The foundation was there, but the piece of the puzzle that doesn't make sense is how the multiplayer starting going in this shaky direction, and how everything else ended up so half-baked. I can't speculate much on the non-multiplayer portions, I'm sure that was a tangled web of employee departures and missed deadlines and scrapped plans, but for the multiplayer; do I think the team at 343 felt passionately about shoving COD features into Halo? Nah. To me, Halo 4 has all the telltale signs of being designed by executives and focus tested into oblivion, which is something we're feeling more and more as industry sales are generally down with this extended console lifespan and publishers are trying to scrape together a decent ROI. I'm sure some higher-ups looked at COD financials, studied the psychological components of what makes COD a success, looked at what they had (Halo), and issued some large directives - a purely business decision which I can certainly respect - to try to keep up. I guess it worked, it's a shame that once again the true, longtime hardcore Halo fans are the ones who get squeezed.
Old, but deserves to be quoted again. I'm able to find some semblance of fun in certain areas of Halo 4 and thanks in large part to the crew I run with almost every night, but I can't deny the truth bombs in this post.

What the fuck

If Bungie had patented all their features like spectator mode and friends lists they could have literally ran the entire industry.

Ghazi

Beta Build Update 3, I can't even imagine what else they cut from the game if this was in there. Theater mode or Forge in 2? Geez

I know Deus Ex did it but if it were a modern location like Coddleblops, I'd be interested in seeing them removing interrupting ads and paywalls in favor of placing them in a dynamic world. That is, billboards that change, posters, etc.

Fuchsdh

Doesn't help that a lot of the Halo 4 maps don't do a good job at making landmarks and distinguishable map areas.

Forge lights had to be added to the Throwdown versions of Haven. But they're still difficult to see. I would have just done light and dark, but everything is lit more or less the same.

In Solace you have the 2 bases, but the sides of the map look the same to me.

Abandon is rocks and trees everywhere.

In Adrift everything looks the same and the map has so many corridors its not like you have a line of sight on anyone ever.

and so on.

Been the Apple of the gaming industry.

Wonder how Bungie will innovate and grace us with Gaming Glory again with Destiny.

No doubt. A fleshed out Halo campaign, Invasion, observers and Firefight. They sure had big plans.

Bungie really is a really fucking good team.

Who KNOWS what was cut from Halo 2. Wasn't sprint supposed to be in there?

Oh god nevermind. I'd gladly have them cut everything they cut from Halo 2 if that meant no Sprint. I don't care what anyone says, Sprint doesn't belong in Halo. Ruins it for me.

DeadNames

Banned
Oh god nevermind. I'd gladly have them cut everything they cut from Halo 2 if that meant no Sprint. I don't care what anyone says, Sprint doesn't belong in Halo. Ruins it for me.

Sprint is actually the least game changing thing for me, haha. Sure it might be annoying but it's nowhere NEAR as bad as camo.

I HATE camo.

Top Bottom