• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Id rather fly.

33265900.jpg
..fuck, that's what I meant

/neverboughthalowars
/wasntcheapenoughduringsale
/gonnawalkawaynow

neoism

Ummm...Halo:reach is one of the greatest FPS games of all time, and it has problems. Like the match making, the lag, the stupid abilities, y'know?

Doom was not perfect. The level design was terrible. Many of the custom maps were far superior because they didn't just copy paste canyons.

yes shame so many people still hate on it

Frankie wasn't joking when he said it, and any reasonable person can respect that. People that respond in the way that you have are being pompous children.

yes shame so many people still hate on it
It's foolish that they would look forward to Destiny while at the same time acting as if Reach was a shitty game. At least be consistent and be skeptical of Destiny, or maybe reconsider the fact that your impressions of Reach do not comprise an even-tempered rational analysis of the game. And yes, I think even people like Ghaleon got it wrong and simply don't appreciate or fully comprehend the elegance of its design. I recall getting halfway through his article on FUD with enough material to write a response article, but never came back to it (was too busy having a blast with friends in Reach every night). The game may not be the Halo game you wanted, but it is still one of the best FPSs ever made.

Oh, and you can pass on Twin Snakes. Stick to the original for Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid. Twin Snakes had a different director and an inconsistent mix of updated graphics and overly embellished cutscenes. Why re-record all of the dialogue? What a waste and an odd product overall.

Toa TAK

Banned
wow your lucky man would love to experience F3 again for the first time
enjoy... got 149 hours with all the DLCs my only 1500GS

This is my goal for the game for sure.

And while we're on the topic of Halo Wars: I, too, would love to see some of their vehicles make it in another Halo game. Imagine piloting a Vulture or Vampire!

neoism

thanks for this link earlier GUI shits is getting crazy

MGS3 spoilers
http://www.twitch.tv/threedogg

Frankie wasn't joking when he said it, and any reasonable person can respect that. People that respond in the way that you have are being pompous children.

It's foolish that they would look forward to Destiny while at the same time acting as if Reach was a shitty game. At least be consistent and be skeptical of Destiny, or maybe reconsider the fact that your impressions of Reach do not comprise an even-tempered rational analysis of the game. And yes, I think even people like Ghaleon got it wrong and simply don't appreciate or fully comprehend the elegance of its design.

agreed... hell i wish more people had the experience with the game as I did... I even envy the people that loove H4 I don't want to hate it but I really dun have much fun with it.... that new map was fun the 4 or 5 games I played on it..... Monolith.

Ramirez

It's foolish that they would look forward to Destiny while at the same time acting as if Reach was a shitty game. At least be consistent and be skeptical of Destiny, or maybe reconsider the fact that your impressions of Reach do not comprise an even-tempered rational analysis of the game. And yes, I think even people like Ghaleon got it wrong and simply don't appreciate or fully comprehend the elegance of its design. I recall getting halfway through his article on FUD with enough material to write a response article, but never came back to it (was too busy having a blast with friends in Reach every night). The game may not be the Halo game you wanted, but it is still one of the best FPSs ever made.

Oh, and you can pass on Twin Snakes. Stick to the original for Hideo Kojima's Metal Gear Solid. Twin Snakes had a different director and an inconsistent mix of updated graphics and overly embellished cutscenes. Why re-record all of the dialogue? What a waste and an odd product overall.

Elegance? Lol

Reach was a shit FPS, the most frustrating gunplay any AAA series has ever produced. I agree that anyone who disliked Reach but is anticipating Destiny is silly.

FyreWulff

Twin Snakes is the superior version of Metal Gear Solid.

They re-recorded all the dialogue because the fake accents were terrible.

Um, have you heard the way Snake talks? The ham is essential. Twin Snakes is artistically inferior, and probably inferior from a gameplay perspective because they just shoehorned MGS2 mechanics into it.

Elegance? Lol

Reach was a shit FPS, the most frustrating gunplay any AAA series has ever produced. I agree that anyone who disliked Reach but is anticipating Destiny is silly.
Yes, elegance. From top to bottom, Reach has very consistent and thoughtful design. The gunplay is probably the most balanced and optimized out of the online Halo games. Putting accuracy in the hands of the player was empowering, without hindering player movement like in Halo 4.

They changed the way the game worked to make it the smoothest playing online Halo ever. And that's awesome.

Tunavi

Banned
Enjoying Bioshock off the Microsoft sale, but damn I'm so happy Halo has its own engine. Unreal just makes everything look cruddy (and they give blood the consistency of gelatin.) Amazing art direction and atmosphere papered with the generic look of this console generation. Unfortunately Infinite looks like the same issue.
at least it gets 60 FPS

Ramirez

Yes, elegance. From top to bottom, Reach has very consistent and thoughtful design. The gunplay is probably the most balanced and optimized out of the online Halo games. Putting accuracy in the hands of the player was empowering, without hindering player movement like in Halo 4.

They changed the way the game worked to make it the smoothest playing online Halo ever. And that's awesome.

Bloom and consistent don't belong in the same sentence. But I know talking about Reach with you is pointless, so I'll save myself the headache.

Now we have people saying Bioshock looks cruddy? God damn this thread is terrible.

Karl2177

Someone never got the title update.
Someone never played BTB.
Someone never fired a weapon more than one shot.
Someone never moved their left analog stick.

Too bad AAs killed that gunplay =(.

They did hinder player movement, it has the most sluggish Halo movement. There are a lot of things I would describe Reach as, but elegant does not come to mind. From a skillpoint I guess you could argue that gunplay was balanced, as everyone was equally hoping their shots would randomly land on target, but games with that sort of spread only work out in the first place because the first shot is the most important part of the fight to get accurate, not the last. Shields and bloom are antithetical to one another.

Twin Snakes is dumb, get outta here with your flips onto missiles and poorly implemented MGS2 mechanics.

Halo Reach didn't hinder player movement? LOL

orznge

Banned

current candidate for best HaloGAF post of the year

HTupolev

I wouldn't agree that Reach's bloom was especially empowering, as it always felt like I was waiting for the game to catch up. This has generally been my main complaint about bloom; the strategies for weakening weapons at long range that I tend to respect are things like projectile weapons, or just plain making weapons do less damage with long distances (though both of these have to be done carefully and with plenty of response for the game to feel responsive and not opaque).

Still, bloom does make sense within the constraints of Reach's gunplay, and armour lock and occasional excess of power weapons aside, the game does have pretty good flow.

(I honestly think that Reach's core movement and gunplay is better than Halo 4's. I'd embrace some of Halo 4's choices, like fast kill times and negligible bloom, if they weren't awkwardly coupled with Reachlike sluggish movement and aim assist that's been cranked up to 12. I guess I'd say that I'm more attracted to the direction that Halo 4 aimed in, but Reach's execution and coherency on its direction was superior.)

Sai-kun

Banned

jQ9dlbK.gif

Omni

Remember when people hated Reach and didn't think it was one of the greatest FPS ever?

I miss those days. RIP.

You are posting in a game thread where the main character took a nuclear bomb to the face and lived
Halo was always a cool guy like that.

Metal Gear was an interesting character in the first because of his normality in handling situations despite the extravagant context of it all. They never really broke the tie between his limitations in and out of cutscenes.

tumblr_mdck3saHqf1qedvo5o1_250.gif

Never forget.

Released

Twin Snakes does have some seriously over-the-top shit happening in its cutscenes. The gameplay is also significantly easier because of the MGS2 mechanics, especially the first person shooting.

But yeah, MGS3 >

I popped in MGS2 from the HD collection for old times' sake after getting a platinum in MGR. Oh god did it feel weird. I wouldn't say the game's aged badly so much as games are so straightforward now that it's hard to go back to its idiosyncrasies because I've become lazy and complacent.

Man, I played so much MGS2 back then. Getting all the dogtags was a brutal exercise. I might torture myself to do it again one day so that I can show people online that I did it, but it's still probably my favourite MGS.

Nowise10

Lord Zedd and I did some snooping and found the Midnight Easter Egg hinted at in the bulletin, in Halo 4 earlier today.

If you guys think Halo 4's easter eggs have been bad, this will change your mind.

lol you missed the best ones... played them as soon as you can... 2 has the best replay value and 3 has the best ending ever

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting the HD collection for a couple of weeks now so I can play through them over spring break. And I've heard great things about that ending, I don't know how I haven't had it spoiled by now haha.

Yeah, I've been thinking about getting the HD collection for a couple of weeks now so I can play through them over spring break. And I've heard great things about that ending, I don't know how I haven't had it spoiled by now haha.
You probably have been spoiled through osmosis by now but it just makes no damn sense out of context (and hardly any in context) that you'll only realize it once you get to that point yourself.

heckfu

Banned

I saw the word consistent and literally rolled my eyes.

Bloom is less consistent than any other mechanic in any Halo game.

Top Bottom