• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Booties

Banned

HaloGAF at PAX East 2013! (http://halogaf.com/pax/)

Who's going? Leave a comment on the page or send me a PM and I'll add you to the list. (I might miss it if you post here on GAF, I've been skipping pages much more often these days.)

We should definitely plan another meetup once the schedule goes live, last year was fun.

Current roster:
DeadNames
lybertyboy
ncsuDuncan
Tawpgun

Anyone else?

Thinking about it, but most likely no.

VeeP

So, do you guys think we'll see a Halo 2 Anniversary in 2014?

And if so, would you rather it be on the 360 or Durango?

Would you guys prefer a remaster ala Anniversary or a full blown remake?

Halo 2 Anniversary as a launch title isn't that hard to believe and it comes with a Halo 2 Anniversary map pack for Halo 4 on the 360. I'm also guessing limited titles (very popular ones) will be BC as well, including Halo 4. The 360 did the same thing for Halo 2.

ElRenoRaven

Preferably on 360 since I won't be buying the next Xbox. I'd also prefer it to not be a remake because honestly I don't trust 343 to remake Halo 2. So I'd prefer a remaster in the vein of Anniversary.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
I think misguided explanations exist on both sides.

Hired was correctly stating that bloom was consistent but then heckfu comes along and says it isn't predictable... which is somewhat true but not what hired was saying.

I remember Frankie spent time debunking Ramirez' complaints about the random nature of bloom.

As a mechanic, bloom served a purpose. It lessened long range effectiveness and still remained effective at close range. Spamming at short range is what the design of the system allowed to be effective. You shoot, the circle expands. The reticule still inside the body of the target? Shoot again.

It's not so much random as it is playing the odds on any given shot. That wasn't fun for a lot of people but it doesn't make it a bad mechanic. You can sit here and not enjoy poker for what it is, but the random elements don't make it a bad/worse game.

Not at all. Please show which part of my explanation you believe to be misguided.

This "debunking" is basically techno-babble stating that the DMR will be consistently inaccurate within a certain area, said area being determined by the rate of fire. In practical terms the outcome of a duel between 2 players who are equally accurate with the same rate of fire will be purely random with a potentially large variation in results i.e. one player getting a 5 shot kill the other only landing 2 shots etc. That is all anyone needs to know, that is the effect it actually has on gameplay along with many other even more negative effects.

Even at close range it doesn't work because somebody can fire at the highest rate of fire expanding the reticle beyond the area of their target and land all shots, due to luck. Or a player can be significantly inaccurate but due to the large area covered by the reticle under max bloom still land shots, due to luck.

There are so many reasons that it is a bad mechanic in a game like Halo. I outlined a much more effective means of balancing the Reach DMR by reducing the aim assist at longer ranges therefore making the weapon require more skill however remain completely consistent and potentially effective at long range if a player has sufficent skill to use it to its potential. This would reduce the effectiveness of the DMR when wielded by most players except for the most skilled who would be using the DMR primarily anyway and playing against each other due to trueskill matchmaking. The most skilful weapons should also be the most effective, that is the case in all competitive FPS. As i said before the sniper is effectively balanced that way, it is the most skilful weapon in the game and also the most effective overall.

If you change an arena FPS by adding elements of luck that didn't exist before then the outcome of situations within the game become less consistent and more random. This results in the game being less skilful. 2+2=4.

Poker and FPS games are two completely different things.

I'd love to see Halo 2 remade by 343 for the Xbox 420, but with supervision from some of the key Bungie campaign designers. Could you imagine if, time and hardware permitting, we got Bungie's original vision for Halo 2's campaign (cut levels and all) combined with 343's hardware wizardry?

sogood.jpg

hahaha-gif-i11.gif

no one?

Gee thanks.

Halo:Reach is still one of the best FPS games of all time.

Mace Griffin

Neo Member
Everything's coming up Booties these days. Now you're all starting to get it.

But bloom just didn't work the way they wanted it and was just way too different from halo 3 for people to accept it. I like that it is gone, but they still haven't adjusted the DMR correctly. Maybe they just need to buff the BR and Carbine to make everything seem level. I like the DMR in 4, but it's just easy mode sometimes.

The amount of aim assist and hitscan is what makes a lot of Halo 4 weapons very easy to use, that is where most of the problems lie in terms of weapon balance in my opinion.

Booties

Banned
Ultimate Frisbee Custom Game-Type anyone? I haven't played it, but it looks like it could be fun for you BKs.

The amount of aim assist and hitscan is what makes a lot of Halo 4 weapons very easy to use, that is where most of the problems lie in terms of weapon balance in my opinion.

Yeah but movement speed messes everything up too. Better to adjust the weapons since they all have the same base traits associated with them (movement speed, hitscan, etc.)

Blueblur1

The Extraction playlist doesn't sound great. I'm not a fan of the game type and I sure as hell don't want to play messed up game types. I'm surprised by mistakes such as the spawn one Havok mentioned. I expect that from your random Halo player but not from 343.

The Extraction playlist doesn't sound great. I'm not a fan of the game type and I sure as hell don't want to play messed up game types. I'm surprised by mistakes such as the spawn one Havok mentioned. I expect that from your random Halo player but not from 343.

They're the ones that came up with the unbalanced, shitty, default spawns on maps like Haven and Abandon to begin with. This surprises me little.

Are people really comparing bloom to poker? lol! Bloom was just a terrible mechanic and you can't justify it by comparing it to poker. I could write a whole list of why it's bullshit to do so - but poker is a turn based game where the skill comes from judging the odds based on known data - then using that assessment to decide how you use your hand. Halo is not turn based and you can't make calculations based on known data (what's on the table and in your hand) - if someone see's you and you already have bloom going - you can't bluff all you can do is spam and hope for the best lol.

How is the extraction playlist?

Havok

How is the extraction playlist?
1-Site, especially 1-Site Small, is pretty good. The 2-Site gametypes are still really passive and tend to be campy. Larger maps don't work well at all in my experience. Unfortunately, 2-Site and big maps come up extremely often, which was a pretty big bummer. You still have to deal with JIP and if you're down a couple points, coming back from that is really difficult in Extraction, especially with multiple sites.

Of all things, Complex wasn't too bad in the one 1-Site game I played on it. It was against really horrible players, so that probably helps. Adrift is in there and I don't think it plays very well. It's so compartmentalized that bunkering down is really easy.

Madness

Most people outside of the competitive halo community cared about bloom, just like most don't care about personal ordnance. But it's like turning a game of chess into blackjack.

You won't believe the shit people have written on IGN, gamefaqs, defending personal or global ordnance.

Heck, I think there were a few posters here arguing in favor of personal ordnance because it would make the game accessible to casuals, people couldn't hog weapons etc.

Did I hate bloom? Yes, it made the gunplay inconsistent and added a bit of randomness that didn't exist before it. I can see why someone would want to defend it's inclusion, but why? It was a poor mechanic. And I loved Reach, had great music, art, really enjoyed campaign. I think the transfer really hampered the management of the multiplayer. Bungie moved onto Destiny, 343 was too busy with Halo 4.

Though I'm willing to bet Destiny is going to be a Reach/CoD type of game. We've already seen an on screen reticle rifle and an ADS rifle.

NOKYARD

Then what was the point of you guys finding it illegitimately? Lol.

Just reveal what it was instead of trying to keep a little secret club.
What!!!! He found the midnight Easter egg and he do not share it with halogaf....shame on him :s
Spill on the Midnight egg!
Just stop it.

These guys are being honourable by keeping it to themselves. Nothing is worse than Easter Eggs being spoiled by modders digging through game code.

Tunavi

Banned
Throwdown is really really good. Every other playlist is terrible.

good games with tashi, nutter, and heckfu last night. Fun stuff

OverHeat

« generous god »
Just stop it.

These guys are being honourable by keeping it to themselves. Nothing is worse than Easter Eggs being spoiled by modders digging through game code.
They could give us clue how to get it at least not some cryptic tips like 343i.

Booties

Banned
Just stop it.

Isn't that the definition of an easter egg? The oldest ones were hidden in code and circuit boards.

Ghazi

Gee thanks.

Halo:Reach is still one of the best FPS games of all time.
I didn't mean any offense, I found Reach fun but I wouldn't would never call it the greatest FPS ever. I didn't mean for it to sound as if I was antagonizing your opinion though. Also, curse the new who quoted me feature for doing this.

Frankie wasn't joking when he said it, and any reasonable person can respect that. People that respond in the way that you have are being pompous children.
See above.

Also, I didn't think Frankie was joking.

dalVlatko

Played Reach for the first time in probably a year because I remembered I received a free code for it from the dashboard beta a while ago

First game in team slayer was AR starts and armor lock...

I don't have Anniversary or the maps so what playlist can I play that isn't awful?

Ghazi

Played Reach for the first time in probably a year because I remembered I received a free code for it from the dashboard beta a while ago

First game in team slayer was AR starts and armor lock...

I don't have Anniversary or the maps so what playlist can I play that isn't awful?

Action Sack?

Pretty sure you're just attempting to "troll" now.

Pretty sure I'm not. I like Reach, it has it's problems, it's not perfect by any means. The armor abilities are fucking terrible and led to the shit that killed Halo 4, some of the maps were pretty awful. If liking Reach means I'm a troll then so be it. I like Reach above most the Halo games, but, i still think they're all mostly on the same level. I dislike 2 yet put in more hours then any other Halo game.

Top Bottom