• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Looks like a snow vehicle to me.

04524.jpg

this can turn. see the difference?

Sandtrap was fun because of vehicles. Ever since Reach, the vehicles have taken the backseat in the sandbox. As long as half the team has a DMR, Sandtrap won't play the same

Halo 1-3: Everyone fights over/betrays for the Warthog gunner.

Reach/4: "Someone, please get in my gunner!"

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Sandtrap was fun because of vehicles. Ever since Reach, the vehicles have taken the backseat in the sandbox. As long as half the team has a DMR, Sandtrap won't play the same

god, the warthog was something to fear in halo 3. take that hog, make it slightly less resistant to grenades and stickies, and it would be perfect. but yeah, i'd take the halo 3 vehicles over anything else even without tweaks.

Yup. I think's there's a bunch of reasons that vehicles have become less fun to use. Armour abilities (not just armour lock but also things like jetpack and sprint and camo); two stickies on spawn; the DMR; fewer big open (eg sandtrap) maps; the awful things done to the banshee and warthog; no chopper; generally fewer vehicles (considering the plethora you had on maps like avalanche or sandtrap); the rise of the individualised metagame (mainly with Halo 4) which makes co-operation less popular; the randomisation of power weapon spawns.

I wish that was an actual option in the voting lobby

Oh it is! If you don't vote you can press B to leave before the game starts.

I did it so many times today because of mulyiple horror combinations of:

Abandon, vortex, meltdown, longbow, ragnorok, exile, complex (with duplicate shotty snipe options for good measure).

Basically, if I don't see shutout or haven in the lobby I'm out of there. Player empowerment.

Gui_PT

Oh it is! If you don't vote you can press B to leave before the game starts.

I did it so many times today because of mulyiple horror combinations of:

Abandon, vortex, meltdown, longbow, ragnorok, exile, complex (with duplicate shotty snipe options for good measure).

Basically, if I don't see shutout or haven in the lobby I'm out of there. Player empowerment.

Sweeeeeeeet

DeadNames

Banned
Holy shit, Sandtrap in Halo 4 would be horrible.

And another thing... What happened to varied environments in MP maps? In Halo 3 we had human, Flood, covenant, urban, desert, etc. In H4 all we have is just Forerunner and Human science labs (although I will give props for Majestic. Those maps are unique.)

Edit: One last thing.. what do you guys mean by "metagame"?

Omni

As much as I'd love a Waterworks remake, it would be so different with the DMR... and probably not in a good way

Omni

A zero spread DMR on Waterworks versus a zero spread BR on Waterworks?

ehhhh

Mainly the scope I was referring to. The DMR would be sooo much better with a 2x instead of a 3x
and yeah I know that's been beaten to death already haha

halo22013031102151451.png

That's with a 2x scope on the BR from the middle structure. If you were to have a 3x scope, you could accurately hit everything on each side without breaking a sweat

FyreWulff

Flinch, personal ordnance, etc.

So technically even worse on the Halo 2 version, since there wasn't anything to counter the BR's updated no-spread. Being unscoped didn't matter with the heavy aim assist and magnetism halo 2 had.

I think Waterworks would work well as an updated map. It has controlled sightlines with hills that lead up to the bridge that then drop down, the middle structure controls crossmapping, and the banshee was heavily exposed and had to choose which side of the map it wanted to be effective on like Boneyard (which was the most balanced map for the Banshee in Reach).

I think the only thing you'd probably want to update is the bases a bit to provide more safety from snipers (and DMRers) on the middle, and move the sniper rifles to the inside so the sniper can't block countersniping so easily. It'd certainly fare better than Vahalla did. Of course, I'd rather have a spirtual successor that takes it's ideas but built around the game it's in.

If you ever looked that the stats of the notorious Banshee kill grinders, Boneyard was barely notable in their total kills.

TheOddOne

Or just put above Infinity Slayer a list that is like you described ( but still newcomer friendlier than Throwdown) and call it simple Team Slayer, everyone knows the name (even if it just from Reach)

I wonder if it would be more liked
Changing the playlist position was tried before, but had very little effect. People went back to the Infinity playlist, regardless.

Tawpgun

A zero spread BR wouldbe better because it'd be more difficult to get all 3 shots to hit at far range. Whereas with the DMR you only need one bullet to hit.

Is there any mod/hack to play as the Didact?

Just a model swap? It might be possible in the same vain as playing as a hunter or grunt in previous titles but I don't know what you would get from it.

The first person animations and models would still all be chief and obviously he has no unique abilities and even if he did you wouldnt be able to use them.

Only time you would ever see it would be when you die or split screen and It has no animations for walking and stuff since all that is done in the cutscenes with mocap

Havok

When the Virgin tournament was going on. They bumped up certain playlist to the top which were tied to the tournament. Didn't attract much population and tons just went back to the Infinity modes.
I wouldn't call it a small change at all. When Infinity Challenge CTF was at the top of the listing, it was taking over 3% more of that day's peak population on its worst day than just before it was moved (9.7% of peak population, compared to 6.4%). While the raw numbers aren't a fair comparison because of the post-Christmas bump, the percentages certainly are. Even now, an equivalent percentage bump would cause the playlist in question to have its population increased by just over 2000 players, which at this point would be doubling or tripling some playlists' population. Just for fun, on its best day Infinity Challenge CTF had 8.3% more of its daily peak population than just before it was moved (14.7% vs. 6.4%), which would cause an increase of over 5,000 players today.

I guess we don't know how much it being part of the tournament helped that bump, but it wasn't an insignificant increase either way. Where we are in the game's life, any increase is important.

blamite

Mainly the scope I was referring to. The DMR would be sooo much better with a 2x instead of a 3x
and yeah I know that's been beaten to death already haha

halo22013031102151451.png

That's with a 2x scope on the BR from the middle structure. If you were to have a 3x scope, you could accurately hit everything on each side without breaking a sweat

RIP map design

Why would you want to be a crappy villain?
B'cuz Nostalgia Boner

Just a model swap? It might be possible in the same vain as playing as a hunter or grunt in previous titles but I don't know what you would get from it.

The first person animations and models would still all be chief and obviously he has no unique abilities and even if he did you wouldnt be able to use them.

Only time you would ever see it would be when you die or split screen and It has no animations for walking and stuff since all that is done in the cutscenes with mocap
True. Would still be awesome for the gameplay and laughs. Coop as two or more Didacts instead of Chief.

Gordon

A Team Slayer playlist with no DMRs would be interesting. If they threw us a curve-ball and put Evo Slayer in as it's own playlist, I'd be impressed.
And shit myself.
Much as I know it's mildly controversial, I think it would draw some attention. I played a few games the other night, and after one game of mashing sprint like an idiot, I adapted and actually did reasonably well. Well, for a couple games lol
Switching back to sprint hurt though. My timing was absolutely gone. Regardless, is was a lot more fun than lots of game types in MM. Evo Slayer is to Halo 4 what ZB was to Reach.

5v5 on Skyline in a nutshell (courtesy bobs)

edit:

He's holding the flagnum before he even finishes materializing

It really was bizarre, in the film you even see me spawn and then head back to the flag cap point. I just assumed I must have spawned back in my base and the opponent flag was right there. When I realized what had happened I was laughing.

Btw dont worry about the 'bounty', thanks for working to fix the spawns!

Anyone on here need an Xbox Gold 1 month? Perhaps Krow/ Hydra?

I have a few friends who have silver accounts so please know that I will give it to one of them unless someone on here actually needs it. This is courtesy of Fyrewulff! Thanks again for the code Fyre! Thought I would offer it out to HaloGaf first as my friends wont be on as much.

I will take 12 of your finest 1 months, sir.

Top Bottom