• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Or we felt that the breaks between DLC release were too long based on player feedback and behaviors.

"We need more maps!"

"Stop milking the franchise by releasing maps!"

To each their own.
This is true. Stahp complaining until people find broken things within said Maps (If any). Otherwise its irrelevant.

gAg CruSh3r

Really?

I would think the person who allowed it to happen would be at fault. Punching a dog in the face though?

It depends on if the dog catch me on a bad day.

It's rare if that happens haha.

Ps: I would not harm a dog. I have one of my own :)..

Edit: Pss: I never said I would harm a cat. o_O... Jk

watership

You know, I was enjoying some Halo4 MP today, until I visited HaloGaf and was reminded that, No, I wasn't really having fun because Halo 4 is obviously terrible.

kylej

Banned
Or we felt that the breaks between DLC releases for previous games were too long based on player feedback and behaviors.

"We need more maps!"

"Stop milking the franchise by releasing maps!"

To each their own.

Are these the same player feedback and behaviors that lead to the axing of Squad Slayer while keeping TU BETA SLAYER in Reach? I'm sure the past games schedules were considered too long for Halo 4, because those games didn't have a shelf life of 12 months until the next Xbox is released.

What I get from looking at very basic, public player data, is that the DLC hoppers continually suffer from paltry populations, therefore people probably do not want another selection of bloated earthen Certain Affinity or Digital Extremes maps. The result? 343 is doubling down on that with their second release in a little over a month.

Nobody sits there and goes, oh yes, Lockout and Midship and The Pit are too good, we're burned out on such great maps, please release more and save us from greatness! People say "We need more maps!" because they paid $60 and now they're sitting there staring at Complex and praying that they don't have to see anything as terrible as that from the next set of maps.

Of course we've known about them for months now.; they were probably done before release.

And yes, all other Halo games had 3 packs or more. Let's look at the release schedule for Halo 3:

December 11, 2007
April 15, 2008
April 9, 2009
February 2, 2010

Halo 4:

December 10, 2012
February 25, 2013
April 8, 2013

This is outsourced garbage they're trying to throw to the fanbase as quick as possible before people stop caring.

Have you run out of stuff to complain about? ..cuz I mean this is a pretty foolish post.

The long periods between those map packs were too much and were more possible with Halo's 3 year dev cycle. Halo was never being "milked." It's because of that attitude combined with long dev cycles and little improvement after Halo 3 why Halo isn't as much of a powerhouse title with fans anymore.

I much prefer a faster, regular release schedule over maps being sat on for cross-marketing upsells.
Indeed. My only wish is that more people bought the maps; DLC hoppers are insanely low any time I'm on. Maybe people only want to play one gametype per hopper, as the new Team Objective playlist population never broke over 500 people when I was online over the weekend.

Indeed. My only wish is that more people bought the maps; DLC hoppers are insanely low any time I'm on. Maybe people only want to play one gametype per hopper, as the new Team Objective playlist population never broke over 500 people when I was online over the weekend.

They need to go back to releasing DLC for free a couple months after release. I'd like to see the long term stats of this and if it's still worth keeping it full priced.

If tying achievements to DLC is the reason why they aren't free later on then I'd rather no achievements, especially if they're anything like what we've been getting.

I just love the binary rifle. All of 343i's new weapons are fun, I just don't see them as being implemented in the best ways.

Halo 4 has the most effective/fun weapon sandbox IMO of any Halo game since 1/2 and the bolded is why I think people may think otherwise. inb4StalkerHalo3 lol

The only fun weapon added to Halo 3 was the Gravity Hammer. In Reach it was the DMR (been needed and begged for since Halo 2), Grenade Launcher and I would've said the Plasma Launcher if they didn't crap on it after the Beta. The Focus Rifle was fun to use but wasn't too effective.

Hey You

Having new maps release every two months is awesome, wish we would get more than 3 this time around.

Also action sack is tons of fun. Hope new game types will be added over time.

gAg CruSh3r

Shame we no longer have Assault and 1 Flag. Attack and defend game types made things so much more interesting.

Agreed. That's what made BTB so much better. Having that thrill of trying to get the flag the last minute for the win of the game.

Nowise10

1: If the maps play good, that is all that matters. Seeing some of you guys complaining about them because they are big team maps, shows the lack of incredibility to judge a game (and maturity you hold).

2: Why are all 3 map packs being released so soon? Halo 3 had DLC years after coming out, and this the last map pack for Halo 4, 6 months after release. Is Halo 5 being released that fast or?

kylej

Banned
Have you run out of stuff to complain about? ..cuz I mean this is a pretty foolish post.

The long periods between those map packs were too much and were more possible with Halo's 3 year dev cycle. Halo was never being "milked." It's because of that attitude combined with long dev cycles and little improvement after Halo 3 why Halo isn't as much of a powerhouse title with fans anymore.

I thought Halo 4 was the biggest entertainment launch of all time or whatever the carefully worded PR release said this time. Halo 4 sold a shitload of copies. The player population - especially in the DLC playlists - is in the dirt. That's not because people had to wait too long between Rat's Nest and Avalanche 4 years ago.

I thought Halo 4 was the biggest entertainment launch of all time or whatever the carefully worded PR release said this time. Halo 4 sold a shitload of copies. The player population - especially in the DLC playlists - is in the dirt. That's not because people had to wait too long between Rat's Nest and Avalanche 4 years ago.

You know better than to believe the hype.. I've stopped believing what was being fed to me after Halo 3 came out with no XBL Public:

One of the biggest problems with Halo 2's matchmaking system was that it didn't have a similar functionality for Custom games. If players wanted to play a particular map or a custom gametype and couldn't get enough people in the room, there was no way for players to find that game. It segregated Custom Games and Matchmade games, completely. In Halo 3, that's changing. While Matchmaking and Custom games are still completely separate (ranks will only increase in the confines of Bungie's matchmaking service), for players who just want to play Custom Games, Bungie has created XBL Public.

XBL Public is where players can advertise their custom games and then players will be able to seek out modes, maps and gametypes. If a player is looking for a Team Slayer match on High Ground, he'll be able to find the ones that are available and they'll be sorted by how good the connection to the match will be.

More interesting stuff talked about here.

RIP.

Nowise10

Okay also, is it just me or was the assumption someone made a few days ago of Daybreak taking place on Reach, where the epilogue shows Noble 6's helmet true.

8548677455_4353de09eb_o.jpg

Or it looks like the level Noble Actual from Halo:Reach. Just not as green.

Skipped straight from Page 173 to the current page. Are we still discussing how Halo 4 is a bad game and being negative about it is fine?

If so, I agree Halo 4 is trash. Still play it though because it's not too bad I guess.

FyreWulff

1: If the maps play good, that is all that matters. Seeing some of you guys complaining about them because they are big team maps, shows the lack of incredibility to judge a game (and maturity you hold).

2: Why are all 3 map packs being released so soon? Halo 3 had DLC years after coming out, and this the last map pack for Halo 4, 6 months after release. Is Halo 5 being released that fast or?

Halo 3's third map pack was originally supposed to come out notably sooner than it actually did as the 'Mythic Collection'.

Unless you forgot the face-palming silliness of Bungie adding achievements for maps in TU2 and then not being able to acknowledge or talk about maps named in achievements almost an entire year

Okay also, is it just me or was the assumption someone made a few days ago of Daybreak taking place on Reach, where the epilogue shows Noble 6's helmet true.

Or it looks like the level Noble Actual from Halo:Reach. Just not as green.

I'm ill today and following tradition I had a dream and you (and the midnight egg) were in it.

Dammit HaloGAF get our my dreams

They need to go back to releasing DLC for free a couple months after release. I'd like to see the long term stats of this and if it's still worth keeping it full priced.

If tying achievements to DLC is the reason why they aren't free later on then I'd rather no achievements, especially if they're anything like what we've been getting.
That business model is dead forever. If anything, it should be on sale for the first week, similarly to dvd or book releases. Anything to encourage more people to play this game.

Trailer was cool but more BTB? Damn man. Thank god for Forge
Have you guys seen any decent forged maps that pare down some of the larger BTB maps? It would be refreshing to have some more variants in 4v4 that don't require DLC.

Pop

Yea more FUN!

BTB for everyone... : /

Theres just no way 343i is this out of touch. I'll be waiting for that excuse for no skill ranks come April or I'll be laughing at how bad they screw them up.

Have you guys seen any decent forged maps that pare down some of the larger BTB maps? It would be refreshing to have some more variants in 4v4 that don't require DLC.

While not impossible, it is very difficult to do this. Partly because the maps don't lend themselves to it and partly because of the limited objects you can use in forge.

Majestic is absolutely worth getting if you want to continue playing Halo 4 (the maps don't change the gameplay or magically make Infinity any less insufferable, so if you don't like that then there's no point). I don't think having Crimson or not matter when matching you up with other players, but I can't say for sure.

While not impossible, it is very difficult to do this. Partly because the maps don't lend themselves to it and partly because of the limited objects you can use in forge.
That sucks, but expected. I thought at the very least that the new trait zones could lend themselves to some creative thinking in terms of keeping players inside a boundary without having to literally wall stuff off.

Top Bottom